mtbr member
    Aug 2005

VW Jetta AllTrac: The Perfect Bike/Ski/Roadtrip/Do Anything Car?

There are way too many awesome cars that Americans miss out on that companies sell else where. For years, I've wanted an AWD station wagon that I can get in a stick shift and a turbo diesel motor. You could never get this combo in America but rumors are that VW will selling the a Jetta AllTrac wagon in the to U.S. to compete with the Suby Crosstrek and Outback.

VW says they will offer the it with a 6 speed stick and a 2.0 turbo diesel engine here. This could be the perfect car. I hope it actually gets sold here.

Volkswagen Alltrack Planned for U.S. Launch in 2014 AutoGuide.com News
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

JDM
    mtbr member
    I had a jetta wagon TDI and really loved it. AWD would really make it the perfect car!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We've had four TDi's since 2002, and they keep getting better each generation. Our newest is a 2012 Golf that shares most of the GTI's suspension and is an absolute joy to drive. That being said, VW is notorious for promising great vehicles and never delivering. A JSW TDi with 4Motion would be a great car, but I won't hold my breath for it. VW could easily release a Tiguan with that combination but they say it would be too expensive for various reasons. There is always hope though.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Jetta sport wagon and I was seriously cross shopping the Audi all road because of the all-wheel drive and higher ground clearance but couldn't swallow the $12k price difference. This new All-Trac sounds like the perfect ticket.....if they can keep the price under $35k.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a pretty great option. Looks quite a bit bigger than the current Jetta Wagon--hard to say for sure without any people near it for scale...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I just bought a Jetta sport wagon and I was seriously cross shopping the Audi all road because of the all-wheel drive and higher ground clearance but couldn't swallow the $12k price difference. This new All-Trac sounds like the perfect ticket.....if they can keep the price under $35k.
    With the FWD Jetta TDi starting at around $25k, I'm hoping the AWD can be had for less than $30k.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Subaru Outback is already available.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Did I catch a niner?
    I was rather disappoint that the Jetta was kind of "left out" from 4Motion. I had a Passat Wagon for a couple years and LOVED that car I miss that car, and the AWD was great for all year. I saw there is also a Passat Alltrack which I think would be like the old Allroad (A6 platform) and I think is going to be a big hit, especially as a diesel, great mpg and alright towing.

EDIT: I think the issue at least for me on the Jetta is the rear leg room is almost non existant, and with the seats down flat I am unable to sleep in the back like I could in my passat and like I can now in my Element. It's nice to be able to just crash in your vehicle the night before a race at the start line, I do not hope for it but it sure makes things easier.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    I'm hoping for the Jetta Alltrac to make it here in the MK7 generation. Or even a Passat wagon as well. They have an Alltrac version of that as well. We're missing out on the current generation wagon here as well. As for the Outback being out already, sure, but no diesel available. And having owned a 2009 Outback and a 2005 WRX wagon (both still in the garage), the JDM built WRX wagon has been the biggest disappointment to own. The list of things that went wrong with the car since brand new ownership could easily fill up a page and I'm never buying another Impreza ever again.

But seeing as I will need a new car within half a year, I have my eyes set on the MKVI JSW TDi. With a set of winter tires, I really won't miss AWD around the that much, especially since in the winter, my WRX sees less than stellar MPG, around 18, or even lower.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Audi allroad quattro

My 2002 Audi allroad quattro IS the ultimate MTB/Ski/Kayak/Camping/Natural Disaster Recovery AWD vehicle: It can extract Jeeps stuck in two feet of mud...in reverse, scale a 25%, rutted dirt grade, plow through four inches of snow @75mph, cross 3-feet of standing water....and still pass like a Porsche, with it's 5-valve-per cylinder, 320hp(tuned), Twin-Turbo, 2.7L V6. With roof racks - it can easily haul three MTBs and riders:

VW Jetta AllTrac: The Perfect Bike/Ski/Roadtrip/Do Anything Car?-2337.jpg
    VW Jetta AllTrac: The Perfect Bike/Ski/Roadtrip/Do Anything Car?-800px-moteur_audi_rs4_b5.jpg
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    There is a typo in the thread title as this is a Passat Alltrac, not a Jetta.
    When I purchased my current Passat Wagon it was the last one available in the USA with a stick shift, so I welcome this Alltrac model!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    With the FWD Jetta TDi starting at around $25k, I'm hoping the AWD can be had for less than $30k.
    THats what I'm hoping for. TDI AWD with a stick for under 30k. It would have to drive better then the outback too. My dealer gave me one when my Forester was in for service and I hated driving it. My 08 farster is really nice to drive the Outback was like driving a boat.

Did I catch a niner?
    2010 Volkswagen CrossGolf - Auto Shows - Car and Driver
    To add to the VW cars, the Cross Golf is one that interests me a lot. A nice hot hatch with some severe weather capability.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: VW Jetta AllTrac: The Perfect Bike/Ski/Roadtrip/Do Anything Car?

Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    THats what I'm hoping for. TDI AWD with a stick for under 30k. It would have to drive better then the outback too. My dealer gave me one when my Forester was in for service and I hated driving it. My 08 farster is really nice to drive the Outback was like driving a boat.
    They should have just kept the legacy wagon. I have the legacy and it drives beautifully. I've owned a lot of German cars and the subaru is 2nd to my BMWs.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I'm hoping for the Jetta Alltrac to make it here in the MK7 generation. Or even a Passat wagon as well. They have an Alltrac version of that as well. We're missing out on the current generation wagon here as well. As for the Outback being out already, sure, but no diesel available. And having owned a 2009 Outback and a 2005 WRX wagon (both still in the garage), the JDM built WRX wagon has been the biggest disappointment to own. The list of things that went wrong with the car since brand new ownership could easily fill up a page and I'm never buying another Impreza ever again.

But seeing as I will need a new car within half a year, I have my eyes set on the MKVI JSW TDi. With a set of winter tires, I really won't miss AWD around the that much, especially since in the winter, my WRX sees less than stellar MPG, around 18, or even lower.
    18? 18? Seriously? I get 20+ with a 6.2L V8. I had a WRX and got 27-30 pretty easily. What are you doing to get such bad mpg? Whatever it is, it's not going to change drastically depending on what car you get, unless you were one of the ones that actually got an automatic wrx (bad bad idea)? I put 140K on my wrx wagon at stage 2, driving it hard, and the only non-normal-wear item that I had to deal with was the boost control solenoid going out, well you could say the stage 2 stress is what caused that, but it was easy to fix and replace. Otherwise, a solid car and made my previous american car seem like a joke comparatively. I'm in the market for a new used car as a "project" car for auto cross and was checking out some 98-03 Audi A4s and I can't say I'm impressed. If I find a nice one I may go for it, but so far the things have been falling apart, interior falling apart, etc, morso than I had with my subaru for sure. Sometimes one just puts a lot of wear and tear on parts of the car that aren't made out of metal, due to vibration and movement. So far the wrx is the top-runner again for my project-car, due to how well it works. In any case, it's pretty hard to get 18mpg, unless you have the auto version or are just driving pedal to the floor all the time and max-acceleration on each freeway entrance.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    18? 18? Seriously? I get 20+ with a 6.2L V8. I had a WRX and got 27-30 pretty easily. What are you doing to get such bad mpg? Whatever it is, it's not going to change drastically depending on what car you get, unless you were one of the ones that actually got an automatic wrx (bad bad idea)? I put 140K on my wrx wagon at stage 2, driving it hard, and the only non-normal-wear item that I had to deal with was the boost control solenoid going out, well you could say the stage 2 stress is what caused that, but it was easy to fix and replace. Otherwise, a solid car and made my previous american car seem like a joke comparatively. I'm in the market for a new used car as a "project" car for auto cross and was checking out some 98-03 Audi A4s and I can't say I'm impressed. If I find a nice one I may go for it, but so far the things have been falling apart, interior falling apart, etc, morso than I had with my subaru for sure. Sometimes one just puts a lot of wear and tear on parts of the car that aren't made out of metal, due to vibration and movement. So far the wrx is the top-runner again for my project-car, due to how well it works. In any case, it's pretty hard to get 18mpg, unless you have the auto version or are just driving pedal to the floor all the time and max-acceleration on each freeway entrance.
    My legacy is auto and gets a pretty reliable 29-32. VW's are great for the first couple years. I am in the business of working on cars and after the newness wears off and a few years sets in, VW's are probably the worst when it comes to holding up. May or may not be reliable mechanically I don't know, but dealing with interior and and electronics they are the worst.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    unless you were one of the ones that actually got an automatic wrx (bad bad idea)?
    In retrospect, yes, I should've opted for the 5 speed. But it was my first car ever, right out of high school and went to the Saab dealership looking at a 90K mile 2001 2.5RS GC8 coupe for $11K, and walked out with a brand new 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero w/4eat for under $22K OTD. The car was a dog stock, first two years I didn't touch it, only added a Prodrive Oval. Then third year of college Stage 1 for a couple months and then of course Stage 2 with a Cobb catted DP, STi UP, and STi catback as the car was too loud on the highway and droned with the Prodrive. Then had it Protuned at P&L in Chicago. Then dropped it on STi Pinks and a sedan rear sway bar. And that's where I stopped modding it. It made driving it enjoyable and definitely had better pull than stock. But the fun stopped there.

And please don't assume I'm some type of street racer or beat on my car from stop light to stop light. I've used it solely to commute to college in stop and go traffic in Chicago. Never raced, auto-x'd. Quite the opposite in fact, I was quite OCD with maintenance and ran Amsoil fluids all around, parking in no man's land, warming up the car before I drive, etc. First problem arose at 48K miles when the stock radiator gave out, I mean after 5 years a radiator goes? Ok. Fine. But later that summer a bearing in my transmission went, IPT performed an OEM rebuild to the tune of $2500 and fast forward to this summer when my front diff gave out. Mechanic's opinion was the trans wasn't put together in spec by IPT leaving a small clearance problem which led to the self exploding front diff. I was past their 1 year 12K mile warranty and they didn't want to hear anything I had to say. Found a stock 4eat off a 50K mile Saabaru for $750 and had that install. So far 15K miles and it's running smoothly. And I should have done this when my original trans went and not bothered with IPT as it was a logistical nightmare as well.

And overall my car feels much older than its 8 years of OCD ownership and care would leave you to believe. Paint is horrible, interior creaks and rattles when it's cold (still on the hunt to eliminate one dreaded creaking from the dash), and the undercarriage, one layer of surface rust on everything. It looks beat. With the newest problem being my oil pan looking like its slowly going to rust out and leak. I'm due for the big major 105K service, plus probably will need to replace that oil pan as well, new summer tires as well. I'm just hoping to get another half year out of it before I jump ship and abandon it altogether before sinking with it and lease a VW JSW TDi or completely not give a care about cars for the next 3 years and just lease a base JSW and see what VW will offer with the MK7 JSW variant, or possible GTI GTD.

As for the gas, when I commuted in stop and go traffic (15 miles one way) back in the city in the winter, I was lucky to get 15-18 mpg, roughly 200 from a tank. Now living in the boonies, a winter tank will be roughly 275 miles give or take. In the summer, with two bikes on the hitch, and longer trips to and from biking, I will see 25-26 mpg, as that's another pet peeve of mine, calculating it every fill up lol.

So yes, this will be my last ever Impreza based car aka econobox with a turbo and awd. And automatic.

Although in comparison, the 2009 Outback has been a joy to own since new. 120K miles on it, zero problems other than needing a new alternator, interior is rattle/creak free, and mileage is upper 25s consistently on cheap gas. And drives awesome on All-Seasons in the snow.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by The ///Man View Post
    My legacy is auto and gets a pretty reliable 29-32.
    The wrx "auto" is a 4 speed auto. 4 speeds. It's 1980s technology at best and the thing will be buzzing at mad RPMs. Anyone who buys that deserves the mileage they get, the wrx is not a car for an auto, much less that auto. Some cars do lend themselves to automatic transmissions quite nicely, in fact at the upper end they have surpassed manuals in terms of what is capable (like audi and bmw wringing every bit of performance out of their engines with 7 and 8spd transmissions, posting faster acceleration than higher HP and lighter cars). This is not the case with the wrx. It's a manual car, it was designed as such, the auto was a stop-gap measure to increase sales for people who can't drive manuals. 4 speeds....of course that would get bad mileage.

In any case, your legacy is heavier and there's no reason that should be getting that much more mileage than the wrx, if the wrx is driven normally and not accelerated past what the legacy will do....unless there's a game-changer like a 4 speed automatic transmission...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    In retrospect, yes, I should've opted for the 5 speed. But it was my first car ever, right out of high school and went to the Saab dealership looking at a 90K mile 2001 2.5RS GC8 coupe for $11K, and walked out with a brand new 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero w/4eat for under $22K OTD. The car was a dog stock, first two years I didn't touch it, only added a Prodrive Oval. Then third year of college Stage 1 for a couple months and then of course Stage 2 with a Cobb catted DP, STi UP, and STi catback as the car was too loud on the highway and droned with the Prodrive. Then had it Protuned at P&L in Chicago. Then dropped it on STi Pinks and a sedan rear sway bar. And that's where I stopped modding it. It made driving it enjoyable and definitely had better pull than stock. But the fun stopped there.
    I went a similar route with the engine. Did a cobb downpipe, reworked the heat shield to fit, borla exhaust from there all the way back, STI intercooler, re-worked the splitter to route the air and seal the intercooler, tweaked the wastegate, ran the cobb stg 2 tune on the access port (really smoothed out the engine), use the spt short ram intake (not the best intake choice though) and overall just had fun with it. There might have been some other mods, but it's too long ago for me to remember now. Took it to 140K.
    And please don't assume I'm some type of street racer or beat on my car from stop light to stop light. I've used it solely to commute to college in stop and go traffic in Chicago. Never raced, auto-x'd. Quite the opposite in fact, I was quite OCD with maintenance and ran Amsoil fluids all around, parking in no man's land, warming up the car before I drive, etc. First problem arose at 48K miles when the stock radiator gave out, I mean after 5 years a radiator goes? Ok. Fine. But later that summer a bearing in my transmission went, IPT performed an OEM rebuild to the tune of $2500 and fast forward to this summer when my front diff gave out. Mechanic's opinion was the trans wasn't put together in spec by IPT leaving a small clearance problem which led to the self exploding front diff. I was past their 1 year 12K mile warranty and they didn't want to hear anything I had to say. Found a stock 4eat off a 50K mile Saabaru for $750 and had that install. So far 15K miles and it's running smoothly. And I should have done this when my original trans went and not bothered with IPT as it was a logistical nightmare as well.
    Well, I won't assume anything. I drove mine hard. Always tons of fun to throw it into a corner hard and then accelerate at the apex. Through all of that the only problem that wasn't wear related was the boost control solenoid, but that was likely a result of running stg 2 (I experimented with a manual boost controller for a few weeks once, that was a bad idea). This car took everything I threw at it and it asked for more constantly. Replaced the belts a few times. Replaced the timing belt by myself. Right before I sold it the steering bushings (made out of rubber or something) were going, so I replaced those, cheap, but an absolute ***** to install without a lift, when I did replace the timing belt I had two small issues after, I had to use a new clamp on the power steering system because disconnecting it weakens the original clamp and I didn't quite get the radiator elbow-tube back in perfectly, so I had to get another one (again, cheap). It was a pretty easy car to work on, but I didn't really have to do much "work" on it. Synchro was starting to go at 140k, but again, what would one expect, that's a normal wear item.
    And overall my car feels much older than its 8 years of OCD ownership and care would leave you to believe. Paint is horrible, interior creaks and rattles when it's cold (still on the hunt to eliminate one dreaded creaking from the dash), and the undercarriage, one layer of surface rust on everything. It looks beat. With the newest problem being my oil pan looking like its slowly going to rust out and leak. I'm due for the big major 105K service, plus probably will need to replace that oil pan as well, new summer tires as well. I'm just hoping to get another half year out of it before I jump ship and abandon it altogether before sinking with it and lease a VW JSW TDi or completely not give a care about cars for the next 3 years and just lease a base JSW and see what VW will offer with the MK7 JSW variant, or possible GTI GTD.
    I had no rust, I had an 04 and I kept it until 2011. If it's rusting that much (body panels are aluminum with some aluminum bits elsewhere, the 2008 and on introduced more steel back into the structure) you got some other issue that is going to eat up any car I'd imagine. In fact, you might have some crazy electrolysis or something going on, quite a few of the parts you describe are aluminum I think. The body panels are very thin unfortunately (to save weight), so they dent rather easily. It sounds rather odd that the saabaru would have all those problems. It was literally a subaru with slightly different body panels and slightly different interior molding. Some people claimed that it had more soundproofing or something, but nope, others took it down to the bones and it's exactly the same as a wrx. My first real car was a brand new dodge neon, a true "econobox". There was no comparison with the wrx, it was better quality in every way, not getting into performance aspects. I realize that's not much of a comparison, for the most part before I drove toyotas and a few subarus before. The odd ferarri when I was learning to drive
    As for the gas, when I commuted in stop and go traffic (15 miles one way) back in the city in the winter, I was lucky to get 15-18 mpg, roughly 200 from a tank. Now living in the boonies, a winter tank will be roughly 275 miles give or take. In the summer, with two bikes on the hitch, and longer trips to and from biking, I will see 25-26 mpg, as that's another pet peeve of mine, calculating it every fill up lol.
    I'll do the same thing from time to time. I got past 25 and almost to 26 on a long trip in my v8 camaro SS two years ago, being very careful with the gas, on shorter trips it would get up to the advertised "24" relatively easily, but wouldn't go past that at all-watching both car's mileage displays (and running the calcs) there's no real comparison. The little turbo subaru engine + 5spd was quite efficient, better than most anything except straight econo-boxes. Again, I'd think an automatic was killing your mileage bad. The way I see it, they are bad on a few accounts, 1, they often have less gears than the manual version, thereby decreasing the mileage or acceleration, 2, they add a lot of weight to the car relatively, so it's kind of the opposite the idea of a sporty car, 3, the transmission fluid changes are an arm and a leg and 4, getting work done on them is usually more costly. Of course that doesn't mean all autos are crap, as I said before, lots of ones being made now are better and I'd rather have them as compared to a 5 or 6 spd manual.
    So yes, this will be my last ever Impreza based car aka econobox with a turbo and awd. And automatic.
    Although in comparison, the 2009 Outback has been a joy to own since new. 120K miles on it, zero problems other than needing a new alternator, interior is rattle/creak free, and mileage is upper 25s consistently on cheap gas. And drives awesome on All-Seasons in the snow.
    Sounds more like my wrx, except I never needed an alternator. Never had any rattles I could discern in the wrx, but I'd imagine with the suspension work you did it opened up the way a little, stiffening the anti-sway probably put a lot more stress on suspension bushings and other parts. When I build up one again I'll put stiffer ones on too, along with bushings and other parts. I should have done suspension work on my old one. I wouldn't give up on automatics though. My short term plan is to get another WRX for autoX, winter driving and modding to make it faster, longer term towards the end of the summer I want to trade in my other car for an audi A5 or something similar, you can bet I'll get an automatic. AWD and auto will work just fine, as long as it has enough speeds
    Last edited by Jayem; 01-12-2014 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Right. I meant fully optioned for under $35K msrp. Mine had the full sun roof, navigation, bigger rims, leatherette etc and listed for $32K (Got if for $28K).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I have a 96 a4 that is a beast in the snow, and my gf has an 08 jetta. She bought it and I taught her to drive stick in it. I wanted her to get a tdi, but at the time she didn't want a stick and most were that we saw. Then this popped up and we got a great deal, and she was willing to learn. So now with the awd golf coming out, I'm really hoping they come out with an awd tdi, stick. I'm gonna have to get one when they do. I'm so angry that tdi doesn't get the respect it deserves. 50mpg and less emissions than a prius. Plus it'll hit 400k.That's the future and its here.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    This is very tempting....

Volkswagen Rabbit Base Hatchback 2 Door | eBay

I'm not sure if it's work $5K. I'd use it as my daily driver. I have a 4WD 2003 Toyota Tacoma with TRD Off road. The rear locker is like a magic traction button. I have a sleeping platform in the back under the camper shell for road trips where a place to sleep isn't easily available.
    I like to ride bikes.