mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Volvo V70 trailer hitch

I just purchased a 2005 Volvo V70-R. I am wondering what to do about the hitch. The standard volvo hitch is pretty expensive and requires trimming the bumper cover. The plus is it's a 2" class two. I see there's a hidden hitch available for about $160, it's class two but 1.25". I should probably add that I have a Kingpin 4 rack and I can get a 1.25" adapter for about $12. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these hitches.

Maestro
    Apr 2004

1.25 adapter

If you are referring to an adapter that hangs a 2" receiver tube off the end of 1.25" hitch. I would highly recommend against that. The amount of leverage a 4 place bike rack can generate plus the additional length of the adapter can permanently yield most class 2, (1.25") hitches and / or the vehicle structure.

Just my $.02.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

The king pin adapter replaces the 2" piece

Well the king pin 1.25" Adapter doesn't add any length. It replaces the 2" piece that goes into the hitch. As far as I can tell the hidden hitch has a higher tongue limit than the stock volvo 2" hitch. Here's a photo of the 1.25 Yakima adapter:

http://www.reese-hitches.com/product...5_inch,YAK2410

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro
    If you are referring to an adapter that hangs a 2" receiver tube off the end of 1.25" hitch. I would highly recommend against that. The amount of leverage a 4 place bike rack can generate plus the additional length of the adapter can permanently yield most class 2, (1.25") hitches and / or the vehicle structure.

Just my $.02.
    I totaly agree.

I sell yakima rack and i will never recommand to use a 4 bike carrier with a 1 1/2 hitch receiver, even with the clever adapter form Yak.

4bikes on a rack does put a lot of stress on the hitch and a 1 1/2 would be very ''woobly'' i will have a hard time feeling secure on long road trip seeing my bikes waving in the mirror.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nbwallace:

I have a 98 V70 AWD with an aftermarket 1.25 hitch. It was easy to install. Your R could be a bit different since it's the newer style with the adjustable suspension.

The 1.25 will work fine for you but make sure the tongue rating is up to your load. The kingpin is rated at 30lbs per bike= 120 total+ rack weight= about 150 tongue load. You should be within that.

A smaller car with a 1.25 could be very different. The vehicle is the biggest variable.

Regarding the adapter. Use the Yak one. It's solid 1.25 bar stock, not tubular so it's strong enough. I've use it consistently.

Regarding the sway that was mentioned. My guess is the user used a hitch pin, not the included bolt, lock washer combo. The bolt snugs the mount to the receiver so it's solid. You'll see a slight bit of movement because of the multiple components but nothing is going to fall off if you did it right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Thanks sea&xc

I the think the hidden hitch has a tongue rating of over 300lbs. So I should be fine with that. The yakima wobbled a bit in my friend's 2" hitch. I think it's a matter of making sure it's snug. I think the course is to get the class II hidden hitch. I don't really want to do surgery on my bumper cover. The R is so pretty.

mtbr member
    If it's a class II 1.25" hitch you are fine putting 4 bikes on the rack. Yakima, Thule and others make 4 bike hitch racks that are 1.25".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace
    I just purchased a 2005 Volvo V70-R.
    Klein Attitude & Palomino replaced with an 09 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite.