mtbr member

Vduber goes Xterra?

So we're a VW family. We currently have 3 of them, and I love them with all my heart and soul

(especially my 65 beetle )

But, recently I've felt the pressure to get something bigger than my rabbit (golf). I've had it for 6 years and put 140000 miles on it, but with a growing family, it doesn't have the space we need for camping trips and what not. So I've been quietly searching...

Ideally, I would get a toureg, and stay in "the family" but it's WAY outside my price range. I'm also considering a Jetta Sportwagen, but I'm concerned that it is too low and long to drive some of the places we like to go. I'd also like some AWD or 4WD. Never been a fan of the Tiguan.

Anyways, I was checking out a Xterra pro-4x at the nissan dealership the other day, and I liked it a lot. I don't personally know anyone who owns one, so I was hoping someone on here would have one...and give me some info. Good or Bad.

Feel free to also toss out some other ideas. I'm going to test drive a couple scoobarus this weekend also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've owned a 2008 SE since brand new, and have put some really hard, trouble free miles on mine. Not exactly stock though. Mods include a 2 inch lift, 33" tires, lower final drive ratio, the electrically locking differential from the Of road model, Nissan Titan front differential, Shrockworks front bumper and skid plates, Maxterra rear bumper, AJ's Offroad sliders, winch, customs roof rack, heated seats...yada yada yada.

I regularly haul my bikes in a hitch mount carrier, which is what I highly recommend. Some people make their own interior bike mounts too. Of course you can also do a roof mount, but I don't recommend it, because the rig is too tall to easily put the bikes on after a long, tiring ride.

Maxterra steel rear bumper with integrated hitch:

Last edited by GpzGuy; 01-09-2013 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Two of my bikes on a T2 rack:

Last edited by GpzGuy; 01-09-2013 at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    The dealership I visited only had 4x2 in the lower models. The pro-4x was the only 4x4 on the lot. He did look up some S 4x4's that they could get from other dealerships, but then discounted the pro 4x $6k...which made it the same as what they were asking for the S?

Maybe trying to get rid of 2012s? I'm not sure...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That is exactly what they are doing! The 2013s are coming and they want to move the 2012s out. Get the Pro-4x, its what you want. I would have gotten the Offroad model in 2008 if one was available. The Pro is basically a combination of the older SE and Offroad model trims.

We bought a 2012 Armada Platinum last week with an $8500 cash back discount...its our new Family Truckster to haul all the kiddies around on road trips.

I'd rather be on my bike
    That integrated hitch is pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    And by the way, go check out thenewx.org to see an extremely fine online community of Xterra owners with encyclopedic knowledge of Xterras.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    That integrated hitch is pretty cool.
    Thanks! And check out the flush mounted trailer plug and the shackle recovery points..... and its powdercoated plate steel and more solid than a rock. I'd feel sorry for anyone who ever rear ended me. Same goes for the hydro formed Shrockworks front bumper. Had a deer run out in front of me on the highway...it left a scratch and some blood on the bumper, but otherwise no damage at all.

ballbuster
    I dunno... I really dug the Tiguan I rented for work for a week. It's crazy fast, handles really well, gets decent gas milage. The part time AWD isn't great for rock crawling, but is fine for getting out of snow and mud.

The Tigaun is a different animal than the XTerra. The Tiguan is a unit body car based chassis, whereas the XTerra is a live axle body-on-frame kinda truck. The Tiguan is gonna smoke the XTerra on pavement, but the XTerra is going to serve you better off road. The XTerra is also going to use almost twice the gas as the Tiguan.

It might be worth looking at a used one if new is out of your price range. Personally, I'm more of a used car guy myself. New cars are just too dang expensive, and I got a house and kids to pay for first. I'd rather blow the cash on traveling and bike parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    The Tigaun is a different animal than the XTerra. The Tiguan is a unit body car based chassis, whereas the XTerra is a live axle body-on-frame kinda truck. The Tiguan is gonna smoke the XTerra on pavement, but the XTerra is going to serve you better off road. The XTerra is also going to use almost twice the gas as the Tiguan.
    Not knocking the VW. I like VW's, my first car ever was a '74 Bug, and my current daily driver is a Mk IV Jetta.

However, "Smoke the Xterra on pavement" is really not realistic. The Tiguan only has a 200 hp I-4 engine, compared to the 261 hp V-6 in the Xterra, (281 ft-lb torque). Yes, the Xterra is a heavier frame construction compared to the uni-body of the VW, but even so, it doesn't get only half the MPG of the Tiguan. The VW is rated at 18 / 26 MPG, the Nissan at 16/20 MPG.

My Xterra handled and drove surprisingly well on the street with its stock suspension. But I don't drive it fast. I try and only drive it when I have to really, like to get to the trails, and through the snow, and for going out four wheeling... just commuting and driving with an Xterra around town is like riding a downhill bike through the neighborhood park on the bike paths. In stock form it is a very capable off-road rig. Spend some money on good tires after you wear out the OEM tires and it is an extremely capable rig off-road in stock form.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I dunno... I really dug the Tiguan I rented for work for a week. It's crazy fast, handles really well, gets decent gas milage. The part time AWD isn't great for rock crawling, but is fine for getting out of snow and mud.

It might be worth looking at a used one if new is out of your price range. Personally, I'm more of a used car guy myself. New cars are just too dang expensive, and I got a house and kids to pay for first. I'd rather blow the cash on traveling and bike parts.
    I've driven the Tiguan quite a bit. My parents actually have one. I'm not just not a fan of it. That, and it really doesn't have any more space than my 07 rabbit has. Still, I would consider it if I had to stay VW, but I don't. I still have 2 other ones at home

The only two VWs that are the in consideration are the Jetta sportwagen and the toureg. The toureg IS outside of my price range....way too much for me. The sportwagen is awesome (especially with the TDI), but I'm really wanting something with AWD or 4wd. I like to get off the beaten path. The Xterra is probably at the extreme end of what I'm considering. I looked at the 4 door jeeps too, but I feel like they're a little over priced for the limited space and options you get. The other extreme would be some sort of soft road cross over...honda CRV or something. Dunno.

mtbr member
    2007 Xterra, 126,000 miles. Its the perfect mtb vehicle. Get one!!!
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Love my xterra. 1st generation all black...ill post a picture when i have enough post casue i have to have at least 10, haha

Or you can find me on the xterranation forums under Dbrown016

The X will hold its value better than the Tig as well. This is generally true when comparing unibody vehicles to very capable frame-on-body rigs.

I'd also look at the 4Runners as well. They hold their value even better. Might not get as good of a deal, though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I too wish the Sportwagen had AWD. If AWD is a priority, look into the Impreza wagon. It has a touch more space than the Rabbit...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Pirate View Post
    So we're a VW family. We currently have 3 of them, and I love them with all my heart and soul

(especially my 65 beetle )

But, recently I've felt the pressure to get something bigger than my rabbit (golf). I've had it for 6 years and put 140000 miles on it, but with a growing family, it doesn't have the space we need for camping trips and what not. So I've been quietly searching...

Ideally, I would get a toureg, and stay in "the family" but it's WAY outside my price range. I'm also considering a Jetta Sportwagen, but I'm concerned that it is too low and long to drive some of the places we like to go. I'd also like some AWD or 4WD. Never been a fan of the Tiguan.

Anyways, I was checking out a Xterra pro-4x at the nissan dealership the other day, and I liked it a lot. I don't personally know anyone who owns one, so I was hoping someone on here would have one...and give me some info. Good or Bad.

Feel free to also toss out some other ideas. I'm going to test drive a couple scoobarus this weekend also.
    I used to have a VW bus when I lived in Hawaii - actually on the prowl for another one now. You may like the Subie - I can't say why, but I kinda get the same vibe from those cars as I do from v-dubs. I really like the new Outback.

Regarding the X-terra; it's a fairly capable 4wd, especially with the offroad package, but it is body-on-frame (like a truck), which means it can tow more, but doesn't have as nice a ride or handling as a crossover or a car. It's also a design that's getting pretty long in the tooth, if that matters to you. I think the last redesign was 2006?

I see a lot of X-terras here in the Dallas area, and I was looking for a used one at one time, but almost all of them here are 2wd. People here buy those and Toyo FJ Cruisers, but get 2wd... go figure.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    I used to have a VW bus when I lived in Hawaii - actually on the prowl for another one now. You may like the Subie - I can't say why, but I kinda get the same vibe from those cars as I do from v-dubs. I really like the new Outback.

Regarding the X-terra; it's a fairly capable 4wd, especially with the offroad package, but it is body-on-frame (like a truck), which means it can tow more, but doesn't have as nice a ride or handling as a crossover or a car. It's also a design that's getting pretty long in the tooth, if that matters to you. I think the last redesign was 2006?

I see a lot of X-terras here in the Dallas area, and I was looking for a used one at one time, but almost all of them here are 2wd. People here buy those and Toyo FJ Cruisers, but get 2wd... go figure.
    Speaking of VW buses...I've been looking on thesamba.com for a syncro van
    Don't know if the boss (wife) will go for it though!

If you look over in the subie thread, you can see my experiences last weekend at the subie dealership. Honestly, it sounds like maybe I just went to the wrong dealer, but I wasn't overly impressed.

I do like the body on frame part of the Xterra. I think that's why I've been drawn to them. I am tempted to wait and see if a new one comes out, but I'm a little afraid this might be the last of the body on frame SUVs. I've thought about a 4runner (or a taco with a camper lid), but everytime I get in a Toyota, I feel like they're really overpriced for what you get (hard going from a german interior, to a toyota interior).

Haven't purchased yet. I'm slow and deliberate in my purchases

mtbr member
    good trucks!.. back seat folds down flat which i like! sometimes i wish i had gotten the X over an FJ
    Last edited by shwinn8; 01-18-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I really love my xterra... great vehicle....
    The good:
    • Interior is pretty mud-proof, especially with leather
    • Back seat folds totally flat, very spacious back, great for hauling cargo or sleeping comfortable.
    • Tailgate opens up/not sideways- I can get my dog in/out with bikes still on the hitchrack, folded down.
    • Good visibility & easy to park, not a bad daily driver.
    • design is very well thought out, lots of storage, D-hooks & cargo rails in back, roof wet box is great for camping trash, emptys, muddy clothes whatever.
    • Stock rockford/fosgate stereo is awesome
    • Roof rack with dehep addition stores 2 extra bikes and all my camping gear
    • Totally reliable and confidence inspiring off-road. With the xterra, my wife is totally comfortable shuttling me, which equals more riding during family camping trips.
    • I can go skiing now, when the conditions are best for skiing/ worst for driving!

The bad:
    • It's so good off-road you'll want bigger tires and maybe a lift.... then the mileage sucks even worsr. I'm getting like 17/19 after adding a 2" lift and D-rated truck tires.
    • No heated seats.
    • If you frequently haul stuff/friends/bikes the rear leaf packs will sag out prematurely. The stock rear suspension is really too soft.
    • It's definitely function over luxury... (but that's totally my preference)

IMG_3529

mtbr member
    One nice thing about Nissan over Toyota and Honda is that they don't seem to mark up the price of their vehicles simply for the privilege of having their badge on your front grill. They are a good value IMO.

Don't get me wrong, Toyo's and Hondas are great cars, but you do pay a brand premium.
    Mind your own religion.