mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Using shorter Thule load bars on Ford Fusion

Is anyone here using a Thule roof rack on a Ford Fusion (pre-2013) sedan? Are you using the recommended 58" square load bars, and if so, can you comment on how much they overhang the 480 Traverse feet? Do you think you could get away with 50" bars on this car with the 480 feet?

I'm considering putting a rack on a 2011 Fusion, and want to use shorter-than-recommended load bars, mainly because I already have them, and don't want to spend the extra $70 or so for new bars. As I mentioned, Thule specs 58" for this car with Traverse 480 feet, but I have some 50" bars from a previous car.

So I was thinking of buying just the new feet and fit kit and trying out the 50" bars. My question is, is there some guideline on how short the bars can be before safety becomes an issue? I'm thinking that if the bars can get all the way through the clamps on the feet, and leave enough room to get the end caps on, that should be good enough.

On the other hand, if I have to get new bars as well as the new feet and fit kits (and maybe even a new fairing) then the cost becomes comparable to a hitch + hitch rack so I probably won't bother.

code: mtbr2011
    you can pull the instructions for the traverse fit kit and it will give you the distance between the towers. you can then add 2.5" for the hood of the traverse rack (x 2 = 5"). then add in another inch on each side for clearance (2" total) and you will have your answer.
    take the x measurement and add 7" if it's longer than 49 5/8" which is the typical distance of the 50" load bar, you're going to need new bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks, that's a great idea. I didn't think to check the fit kit instructions. From the instructions for the 1529 fit kit, it looks like the worst case distance between the towers is 41 5/8 " (on the rear, the fronts are closer). So 41.6" + 7 = 48.6. Looks like they should fit with an inch to spare. I'll give it a try.

code: mtbr2011
    we have that in stock...mtbr guys get an add'l disc't. support your forum sponsor ;-)