mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Uhaul Hitch Install

So I've got a story and question, first the story:

I order a hitch for my hatchback over the phone from Uhaul. While on the phone the person tells me I need a zinc plate sportframe to go with the hitch for an additional 20 dollars. I question what the zinc plate sportframe is meant for and she responds that it is a necessary additional support bracket. I place my order and set my install date.

I go in today for my appointment and at the counter I start to inquire about this "support bracket" as the guy is looking my information up. The installer then replies that he never received any support bracket and that all he has is the hitch itself. GREAT. I then ask, "so you know exactly what this part is, and I do in fact need it?" He replies with a very confident yes. I then ask "so you're saying you can't install the hitch by itself without the additional bracket?" To which he responds that he could, but it would damage the car over time and make it harder for him to put the bracket on when I come back for it.

So I leave empty handed, having wasted gas and a Saturday morning, with him saying that he will "cut me a deal" on the price to make up for it, and, oh yea, he won't have the part in stock until next week.

Later on, I go to my email and look at my old receipt again just to see exactly what the deal with this support bracket was that they included on it, but failed to order. Low and behold, what do I see the $20 line item say... Zinc Plated Sportframe DRAWBAR

It's a drawbar... nothing whatsoever to do with supporting the hitch. Obviously the first employee who I placed the order with knew nothing about what they were selling me... but what about the installer today who sent me home, saying he knew exactly what the missing part is and that it's a must have?

So, my question is... have you ever needed an "additional support bracket" installed for your hitch from Uhaul? I saw the hitch he had for my car and it looked identical to the ones I've seen from Curt Mfg, in which case wouldn't Curt have to offer the brackets as well? Here's a link to the hitch for reference CURT Manufacturing | CURT Manufacturing - CURT Trailer Hitch #11066

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You didn't say what kind of car you have but with any unibody vehicle the manufacturer will have the holes drilled in the unibody for the hitch. The bolt that goes through the hitch and then through the car needs something to attach to. You *could* use a nut with a washer, but over time or with a heavy load, it could pull the washer/nut right through the hole.
    The solution then is to use a reinforcing support that slides into the unibody and ties together all the bolts on the hitch. This is often a bar with threads cut in it to receive the hitch bolts.
    I wouldn't mount a hitch without it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the reply Gt-guy.

Its a mk4 gti. I was able to call Uhaul today and confirm that the item on my receipt which read zinc plated sport frame drawbar is indeed not a support as originally described to me by the salesperson, and just a trailer mount that I don't need. The guy also said he has never heard of a support bracket for this hitch. I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday to actually speak with the installer, however, most likely he will pull up my vehicle information again and realize my car is not a required application for whatever plate he is thinking of.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I wanted to add that what you described makes sense, it's just that I'm not even sure the installer would have mentioned needing one had I not brought it up, thinking it was required and already on my order. To be clear, I realize they offer/require it for certain vehicles/hitches...I'm just not sure mine is one of them...but based on what you described I'm actually hoping it would be so this isn't all for nothing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    find yourself a good Indy VW shop to do the install if you don't want to DIY

it requires drilling of many holes

see video
    http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-trailer-hitch-2004-volkswagen-golf-11066.aspx

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow, what a "pita". My Lexus was a 15 minute install. The frame was pre-threaded, tighten 6 bolts.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift