change is good
    Sep 2004

Tundra SR5 vs F150 vs Chevy 1500

Will be used to tow a 23ft RV trailer including gravel roads.

3.5 Ecoboost vs V8s

Will be used for car camping.

New vs used. Toyota is offering 1.9 APR.

Will be a crew cab

I'm sort of a 10-15 year truck owner type of guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Whatever has the most torque and the best brakes.

My 2011 F150 5.0 v8 has almost 120k miles and has never been repaired, preventative maintenance only. But it only rarely tows anything and probably never anything that big.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I tow a boat that weighs 7500lb fully loaded on the trailer. I have towed it with many vehicles over the years, including a Silverado SS which had about 365 hp, full time AWD and 4:10 gears. It towed the load surprisingly well, but was pulling pretty high RPM on any grades.

Later I got into a Tundra SR5. Had a buddy talk me into the truck, and on paper it sounded like money. Somewhere around 380hp give or take, 6 speed transmission and 4:30 gears. Problem is it never pulled the hills as hard as I wanted it too. Got tired of it and sold it.

I just picked up a 2017 F150 with the 3.5l EB, 10speed trans and 3.55 gears. I am still under the 1k mile "break in" on it so haven't towed with it yet, but I have zero doubts about its ability. With the Alum body it is like the weight wennie of trucks, with 470 ft/lb and a 10 speed to always be in the power band. The new dual injection solves the valve coking issues of the gen1 ecoboost, and the redesigned intercooler should fix the issues they had in heat and humidity.

This time shopping for trucks, chevy wasn't even on the list because you have to spend 50k+ to get the 6.2l (LTZ only). Would have considered a TRD pro, but not for MSRP +. Loved the Titan 1/2 ton (almost bought the pro 4x). I went with the f150 for the extra 80 ft/lb of torque, the 900lb weight savings and the 10sp. Plus, the twin turbos on the EcoBoost leave more on the table through tuning/exhaust etc than V8s do. Look at a company called full-race and their "freak-o-boost" truck to see the aftermarket potential.

So all that being said, if you are buying new, nothing touches the f150 imo, but the Titan was a close second with a more comfortable interior, a better warranty and a more capable 4x package - but I cared more about towing.

Used I would probably be leaning towards a Tundra for the resale value, since they hold their value really well. Chevy? I love the LSx platform, but the 5.3 wasn't enough for me and not a fan of their interiors.
    My kids ride nicer bikes than I do.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Thanks much. The trailer weighs 5000. Of course I'll be carrying water, gear, etc. I have a GTI so turbos can be reliable. I would like 250k mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    All those trucks are quite capable for doing what you're talking about. The new 5.3 in the Chevy has 355 hp and 383 Ft/lb tq. and is rated at 11000 lbs for a 1/2 ton. The Ford Eco-boost is slightly more, if memory serves. While I'm a fan of the Tacoma, the Tundra... not-so-much.

It will come down to the little things, I'm thinking. Things brand loyalty, interior appointments, price, warranty, etc. Good luck with your choice.
    Let's kick ass!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a 2014 F150 3.5 Ecoboost. Love it. Power for days and tows my 5000# boat without issue. Had a torque curve similar to diesel which makes it an outstanding tow vehicle. There are plenty of Ecoboost vs ecodiesel reviews out there. I know you didn't ask for these comparisons but it highlights it's towing capabilities.

However, I will say, this engine is all boost and very little eco. I get 15.4 mixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    another vote for the f150 3.5 , tundra is about to be redesigned so I'm not really sure it will hold much resale value at this point, and gm better fix their vibration problems before I consider buying one!

mtbr member
    I have a 14 Silverado crew cab 4x4 6.5 bed with the V6. I can't comment on towing. But I can say I am vary happy with the truck as an every day driver. My commute is an hour each way so I get allot of highway time in the truck. Chevy has come a long way in quality and fit and finish. I looked at Dodge and Ford but I liked the Chevy more. I never got a really look at any of the Tundras they were all just too expensive.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I was leaning towards a Chevy or Toyota, but it seems the Ecoboosts wins. American vehicles have come a long way in regards to quality although I'm not so sure about Dodge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Don, I'd personally be looking at either a 2500 HD or a F250 if you are going to be pulling that trailer very much and I'd consider a diesel. I'm more of a GM guy and currently drive a 14 Silverado with the 5.3 which is an awesome vehicle. I'm averaging around 19 mpg over the life of the truck with 43k on it now and have gotten as high as 22 mpg/ 400 miles. I don't pull anything that heavy at least not any distance to speak of.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Well I ran my car into a pile of dirt because the sun was in my eyes. A construction worker came over and immediately to me to move my car. I had to call the cops because I was afraid of getting into an altercation with him. This is up there on my list of dumb a$$ mistakes. Now I have to wait for the repair before I can trade it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    I tow a "1/2 ton Series" travel trailer with my 3/4 ton 2000 Suburban. My trailer gross weight is 8400 lbs and my 'Burb is rated to tow 10,000 lbs. It handles it just fine. If you're not expecting to tow more than 5000 lbs, there is no reason to go to a 3/4 ton truck. However, if you ever think you're going to step up to something bigger, consider the bigger truck.

Also, just a thought... A buddy of mine bought the new Dodge Eco-Diesel 1/2 ton which is rated to tow 9200 lbs and he absolutely loves it. I have to say, it's a very nice truck and he got a smoking deal on it.
    Let's kick ass!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've heard that the Ford turbo engines have lots of power and good mileage, but while towing gas mileage can actually be less than the V8. Something about towing causing the engine to use boost more, which drastically decreases mileage.

Turbo engines also do better at higher altitude if you do any driving up in the mountains. Because of the thinner air a regular V8 loses power. So that 355 hp v8 may only be 300 hp at 5280 feet. But the turbo is able to just spin a bit faster and thus lose less power.