mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Trunk Rack suggestions

Okay, so I have a fairly newer car and have been doing my research on trunk racks. I see that over time no matter what you do they will end up leaving marks on your paint from the little rubber feet that they have.. Anyone have experience with a trunk rack that didn't? Can I get suggestions to a rack that will not leave my car's paint in agony lol. I was looking at the Bones 2 but see that all the reviews say the feet eventually ruined the paint. (I drive a Genesis Coupe btw).

Thank you!

code: mtbr2011
    If you don't take the rack off the car periodically and clean the paint and the rack, you will get scuffs, but nothing that can't be taken care of with a little turtle wax.
    I personally think the Thule Raceway is the best of them all because the rack can be taken on and off the car easier than any other rack.
    it has cables that tighten, and gather the excess inside of the rack, so you don't have a bunch of extra straps flying around.
    It's practical enough that you can take it on and off when you want to use it and not have to leave it on the car all the time because it would be so time consuming installing it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    If you don't take the rack off the car periodically and clean the paint and the rack, you will get scuffs, but nothing that can't be taken care of with a little turtle wax.
    I personally think the Thule Raceway is the best of them all because the rack can be taken on and off the car easier than any other rack.
    it has cables that tighten, and gather the excess inside of the rack, so you don't have a bunch of extra straps flying around.
    It's practical enough that you can take it on and off when you want to use it and not have to leave it on the car all the time because it would be so time consuming installing it.
    This bike rack will fit my car? Because I am considering it. All good reviews.

Hyundai Genesis? Year? Thule fit guide shows good fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hyundai Genesis? Year? Thule fit guide shows good fit.
    Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2012. I checked the Thule website and it said none of the racks would fit but I didn't think that was possible lol.

ahh..coupe, my bad, I did not see that in your original post....I'm sorry, that is a no-go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    ahh..coupe, my bad, I did not see that in your original post....I'm sorry, that is a no-go.
    Any other racks you can suggest for me that would fit my car?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i've decided against the thule's raceway and Bones RS because i think i'll go with the good old fashioned straps - i'm quite happy to use straps and they are reliable - wat u see is wat u get. The raceway and RS have complex mechanisms that could fail. i've read a few raceways had problem winding the cable back.

In my opinion the better strap trunk rack is the Yakima King Joe Pro. it uses metal in all the important places....clips, buckles - and has thick quality straps. I bought the King Joe Pro 3 as my LBS only stocks that (would have preferred to have the 2 version as i only plan to carry 1 bike - mine). I really like these trunk racks as they are secure (they are basic so nothing should fail) and save fuel too - roof racks are really notorious fuel burners.
    Last edited by Machoman121; 10-06-2013 at 01:35 AM.