Mtn View, CA

trimming load bars

Just got a Thule roof rack off craigslist. The load bars extend 9.5" beyond each foot. How much do you guys trim the load bars? I'm thinking of trimming almost flush to the feet. Car is a Toyota Corolla and it's pretty low so the reach to the bike rack isn't bad if it's on the inside of the feet. I've seen some people put the bike rack on the outside of the feet.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    No harm in trimming away. My Yak bars extend about an inch past the rail grabs. I used to have a tray mounted on the outside long ago but I never liked the way it looked. If you do trim them, it's a good idea to remove the rack from the car otherwise shavings can get down between the clips and the paint and rust.

mtbr member
    I just trimmed them about 1/2" from the Rail Grabs. I used a sawzall with a metal blade.

Blue painters tape is great for cutting tubes - mark where you want to cut, wrap the tape around the bar with the edge at the mark. Once you get the tape even, you have a perfect line to follow.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

trimming load bars

I used 2 hose clamps as a guide to cut mine. Nice and straight.

code: mtbr2011
    they're too long at 9 1/2" unless you're a kayaker and need to carry a bunch of boats.
    if you are thinking you need roof space later, 4 1/2" of overhang will be a comfortable amount of space to mount a fork mount bike rack on the outboard side of the tower at a later time.
    otherwise, I would trim them down to about 2 inches, so you have room for an endcap. flush with the towers is impractical if you want to move the towers forward or back on the car at some point. many cars taper towards the rear.
    remember, it's always easier to cut more off in the future than the other way around.

Mtn View, CA
    Ended up with 1.5" on each end. End caps cover about half that. I used masking tape as a guide. Looks much better and I won't hit my head on it anymore. I used it for the first time last weekend. I found myself constantly looking at the shadow to make sure the bike was still there. I also measured to the highest point in case I need to drive under something.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...