mtbr member

Transporting a FS bike on a trunk rack

I currently ride a hardtail and use a trunk mounted rack to transporting it. I'm short and ride a very small frame but I can still fit my HT on the trunk rack as it's designed to be used. The two rack arms fit in the main triangle and strap to the top tube and seat tube.

But I'm building a Yeti ASR-5 and there is no way that bike is going to fit on the trunk rack. The shock, linkage, and gusset will all prevent the rack arm from fitting into the main triangle.

I know Yakima and other companies make a 'mock top tube' that clamps to the head tube and seatpost specifically to address this but it looks VERY unstable.

Is that the best solution, at least in the short term, until I break down and finally decide to put a roof rack on my car?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    1UP-USA

I just got mine today but people seem to love them.

mtbr member
    No trailer hitch and I don't think I can install one. Don't really want one to be honest.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thule Raceway Platform, maybe?

Thule Raceway Platform Rack - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Amazon.com: Saris Bike Beam Trunk and Hitch Rack Crossbar Adapter for Dual Suspension and Women's Bicycle Frames: Sports & Outdoors
    I used this last season with my Stumpy FSR and it worked great. Just make sure it clicks in and there is really nothing to worry about.

Competent User

I used a Saris bike beam all last year with my Saris Bones trunk rack. It's kind of hard to fit 2 bikes, but with just my bike, it's plenty stable. I also ran a bungie cord through the wheels to stop the spinning.

Like the guy above me said, it clicks into place and it's made for exactly this. The beam works. Just make sure you're using it right.

mtbr member
    Thanks all, good advice. That Thule trunk-mounted tray rack is an interesting option.

Have you guys found that the bike beam/mock top tube scratches the head tube of the bike? it looks like it's fairly loose and I'm wondering if it rattles around and can damage the frame.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    1UP-USA

I just got mine today but people seem to love them.
    Awesome suggestion, he has a trunk rack that probably cost 80-120 bucks, and you suggest $800 worth of rack and receiver. I'm sure that's what he wanted.

The "arms" on the Saris 3-bike bones trunk rack are adjustable and you can position them independently of each other. This is nice feature that lets you usually accommodate many different frame designs. The greater issue is that you'd have to spend the money again, and it's the kind of money where you can get a hitch for about the same price, although obviously you'd have no rack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Competent User

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Thanks all, good advice. That Thule trunk-mounted tray rack is an interesting option.

Have you guys found that the bike beam/mock top tube scratches the head tube of the bike? it looks like it's fairly loose and I'm wondering if it rattles around and can damage the frame.
    It is loose, but when the bike hangs, it's not an issue. Also my rack had a ratchet strap that goes around the seat post to keep it in place. There's no swaying, and it's as secure as you could want.

You do have to be careful of taking it off to not let it slip down and bang the frame. I put a clear protector sticker on the top tube just back from the stem where the bolt on the beam dinged it when I first got it. Sort of user error, but it's worth being aware of.

Basically, it's not a perfect solution, but short of adding 3-400 bucks for an all new system, with a little conscientious use, it works just fine.

I actually just put on a reverb and was worried that it wouldn't work with the rack, but the back of the saris beam sits just right on the bottom of the saddle and doesn't touch the wire. With the post extended fully, it works just like it did with the regular post.

Next time I get a new car, I'm getting a hitch rack, but for now, I'm good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post

The "arms" on the Saris 3-bike bones trunk rack are adjustable and you can position them independently of each other. This is nice feature that lets you usually accommodate many different frame designs.
    I saw this Swiss Cargo rack at Walmart for $80. Looks a bit like a Saris Bones knock-off, but I don't know if it's as adjustable as the Bones. Might be worth taking a look at though.

SC-T203 - BIKE CARRIERS

Ugly As F*ck
    I think anyone who uses a hitch rack or trunk rack is nuts. Obviously none of you have ever been rear ended. I have and luckily there was no bike on the rack at the time, but it folded my Yakima double down right up into the tailgate. Just imagine if I had a bike on at the time.

Just get a roof rack. Or better yet, get a truck.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, it seems like people try to rip their bikes off the top at drive-thrus, garages, and anything else hanging low more often. We get more pictures of this at least. Plus, I don't find lifting my bike over my head just to get it on the car is tons of fun. Are you really driving in a place that has that many rear-endings? If that's the case, you need to move, it sounds dangerous.

Just imagine if a bike was on the rack when you get T-boned...oh, wait...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I saw this Swiss Cargo rack at Walmart for $80. Looks a bit like a Saris Bones knock-off, but I don't know if it's as adjustable as the Bones. Might be worth taking a look at though.

SC-T203 - BIKE CARRIERS
    Their website doesn't seem to be working.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Their website doesn't seem to be working.
    It wasn't working for me a little while ago, but it's working now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    And now the link isn't working again. May be cookie related or something.
    I can get there if i go straight to the homepage then find the rack from there. Last rack shown on the page with all their bike racks.

Swiss Cargo Boxes | Home
    Last edited by Geralt; 03-16-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Competent User

I wouldn't chance the knock off rack. Saris is a high quality stuff and a great rack. I'd worry about a knock off more than I would a bike beam.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, it does look to be a knock off and there isn't too much that can go wrong. I had a strap or two wear out with my saris and they were replaced pretty fast, under warranty I think. It's the most secure trunk rack design I've seen or used.

mtbr member
    Awesome suggestion, he has a trunk rack that probably cost 80-120 bucks, and you suggest $800 worth of rack and receiver. I'm sure that's what he wanted.

He's getting a Yeti so I figured he could afford whatever rack he wanted...

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    Amazon.com: Saris Bike Beam Trunk and Hitch Rack Crossbar Adapter for Dual Suspension and Women's Bicycle Frames: Sports & Outdoors
    I used this last season with my Stumpy FSR and it worked great. Just make sure it clicks in and there is really nothing to worry about.
    I also highly recommend this. I use it with my camber and no problems whatsoever. The beam is covered in rubber on all contact points so you will have no issues with damage. I just make sure my bike is not full of dirt on the contact points. I does sway from side to side if you dont secure with a strap of some sort, but that can be solved fairly easy.

Cheers