mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Transport on a $300ish budget

So I need to transport a Trek 29er

I drive a 97 Civic Coupe

I wanted a roof rack but besides Thule not making one, Yakima is way too expensive. I was recommended a Thule Gateway by an LBS but am not nuts about the idea of having a carrier I need to install and un-install every time (or it's a matter of time when it will be stolen). I can with the same amount of frustration but less time, take off the front wheel, and using a big shoehorn, shove the pieces into my car with the seats down.

So people, what are my options? My bike was about $700 so I'm not looking to spend anywhere near that for transportation. Thank you

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanneon98 View Post
    So I need to transport a Trek 29er

I drive a 97 Civic Coupe

I wanted a roof rack but besides Thule not making one, Yakima is way too expensive. I was recommended a Thule Gateway by an LBS but am not nuts about the idea of having a carrier I need to install and un-install every time (or it's a matter of time when it will be stolen). I can with the same amount of frustration but less time, take off the front wheel, and using a big shoehorn, shove the pieces into my car with the seats down.

So people, what are my options? My bike was about $700 so I'm not looking to spend anywhere near that for transportation. Thank you
    You could probably get a hitch in the $120 range ( labor should be cheap.. you may be able to do it yourself - it's usually just 4 bolts ), and a cheap platform rack in the same range that would do the job fine. Still not super cheap but way better than a trunk rack.. just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm starting to like the hitches more the more trunk racks I look at.

What's a cheapie single or double platform that would work well?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanneon98 View Post
    I'm starting to like the hitches more the more trunk racks I look at.

What's a cheapie single or double platform that would work well?
    You could check Amazon.. I think all the platform racks in that range are pretty much the same. The Prorack is one that I was looking at when I first started my search.. looks decent.

mtbr member
    I'm with manny.. 4bolt hitch you can find for cheap and a hitch mount bike rack...
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    I don't know how much the seasuckers bike mount costs
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

RFB
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    performancebike.com has a sale going on through tomorrow. SAVE20NOW will get you 20% off your order plus $25 off $100 or more. You can get a Transit Flatbed for around $125.00 or a Saris Freedom for $155.00 shipped.

Around me, there is a good selection of Yak/Thule roof racks that go for $100-150 for Civics. That's the route I'd go.

mtbr member
    I've installed a hitch on my buddies 98 civic and it was pretty easy. Took us about 20 minutes to do. You can grab a class 1 Curt hitch for around $140.00.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Around me, there is a good selection of Yak/Thule roof racks that go for $100-150 for Civics. That's the route I'd go.
    This gave me the hope to keep looking and tonight, I am going to pick up a Thule rack with a bike rail and a holder for a great deal!