Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    XXIX

Toyota FJ Crusier owners?

I was planing on buying a Taco but a local dealer is wanting to give me a real good deal on one.

Do you like it or wishing you bought something else?

Do you or can you put the bike in side (29er) with the front wheel removed?

Does it serve your mountain biking needs?

Im coming over from a lifted Jeep TJ I just need more cargo room and better mpg. I think my Jeep get 3 gallons to the mile.

mtbr member
    I have been planning to get a FJ for a few months now, I am going to be making the move in a month or so. I was at the local auto show today and had a chance to really look over one and compare it to the Jeep and Xterra. I liked it a lot. The back seats seemed a bit tight and tricky to get into, something to keep in mind if you'd have back seat passengers. The cargo area was the largest I'd seen except for full-size SUVs (Tahoes, Expeditions, etc). I like them but won't have first hand experience with one for a little while longer.

mtbr member
    I like mine. I don't know if a 29er will fit in by just taking the front wheel off. I put my bike in by taking both wheels off, after pulling the rear seat bottoms forward and laying the rear seat backs down. I put a packing blanket down in the back, put the frame in, put another packing blanket over the frame, then I put the wheels on top of that. There's enought room to stager the wheels, so they are not laying on top of each other. And there's enough room for my helmet, clothes and a small tool box. If you want more room, you can take the back seats out, the part that you sit on, which is really easy to do with no tools. If you just lay the rear seat backs forward, with out taking the bottom of the seats out, they don't lay down completely flat. By taking them out, the rear seat backs lay flat and it gives you a lot of room behind the front seats to put stuff.

The only thing I don't like about the FJ is: there's not much room between the front seats and the back seats. But, I don't have people in the back very often, so for me it's ok.

What do I love about it: it looks really cool, in my opinion. It drives great on the street. The engine is great. It has a lot of power and it feels more like a diesel engine. It has a lot of torque at low RPM. When you're going down the freeway at 65 MPH, The engine is only spinning about 2000 RPM. The FJ is great off road. Mines a 4x4. There are some fire roads on the ranch that I grew up on that are so steep, you almost have to get on all fours if you try to walk up them. The FJ climbs them like they aren't even there. I've spent years driving a jeep around the ranch and the FJ just blows it away. It's just silly funny to take it to places that you think it won't go. And it goes there and laughs at you, like its saying, "is that the best you can throw at me".

If you're at all interested in FJs, go drive one. I think you'll love it.

'96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

XXIX
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. The one Im looking at is slightly used but looks brand new. Its running the BFg's already( my favorite tire, I have them on my Jeep) TRD package. Not what I was looking for but its nice and I think I'm going to get it. I will just have to get a bike rack now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorB View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. The one Im looking at is slightly used but looks brand new. Its running the BFg's already( my favorite tire, I have them on my Jeep) TRD package. Not what I was looking for but its nice and I think I'm going to get it. I will just have to get a bike rack now.
    What color? Take a look at the SeaSucker racks. I know it's kinda hard to trust something that attaches that way, but they work really good. I think the suction cups will fit between the ribs in the roof. Post up a picture when you get it.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

XXIX
    Name:  539853_4529685076484_1104865523_n.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  43.2 KB

Im going to get a rack for a hitch, its the easier option. The bike will fit with the front tire off and the small seat behind the driver all the way down. I also have a dropper post or the seat would be to high. I love it so far, it rides like a caddy compared to my TJ. I will get a better pic up later it was raining when I took this one.

What the hell is the LSD button and do I what push it? Is it a hippie Colorado thing?

mtbr member
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    I LOVE my FJC (07)!

If you're going the hitch rack route, definitely invest in a North Shore Rack. I've had three different racks on my FJC, and the NSR-4 is the best in terms of fitting and still allowing access to the rear door.

North Shore Bike Racks

mtbr member
    I use the same rack on my JK. Clears the spare tire perfectly. Love it.

mtbr member
    Got an FJ '12 love this thing, talked to alot of owners before buying. I haul my 29ers inside using a Saris triple track, have 15mm adapter off ebay for the FS, and use DT adapters to put the wheel in the that mount.

Here's 2 rigid 29ers, they could fit straight in if wanted

FS RIP9, 2 might be tight, these need to be put in at an angle

XXIX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Yep thats it in my back yard. If it would stop raining I can get a few good pictures of it. Thanks for the info, I figured it out after I posted it that it was a limited slip Dif auto button. I was confused because it is next to the Locker button but I guess you dont want to run full lock on the road or bad things happen.

XXIX
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Got an FJ '12 love this thing, talked to alot of owners before buying. I haul my 29ers inside using a Saris triple track, have 15mm adapter off ebay for the FS, and use DT adapters to put the wheel in the that mount.

Here's 2 rigid 29ers, they could fit straight in if wanted

FS RIP9, 2 might be tight, these need to be put in at an angle

Awesome! I test fit mine yesterday and It fits. Just have to take the head rest off the split seat to get all the way down. I like that setup.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I test fit mine yesterday and It fits. Just have to take the head rest off the split seat to get all the way down. I like that setup.
    When I was considering vehicles that was the big test, had to accomodate a bike with no more than the front wheel off inside the cabin. The RIP9 is only doable cuz of the dropper post and it's still close on the front with 720mm bars. The rigids fit without any problem, don't even have to drop the seatposts though you do have to tilt rollin `em in.

mtbr member
    Yep thats it in my back yard. If it would stop raining I can get a few good pictures of it. Thanks for the info, I figured it out after I posted it that it was a limited slip Dif auto button. I was confused because it is next to the Locker button but I guess you dont want to run full lock on the road or bad things happen.
    Yep, bad things!

mtbr member
    I loved my FJC! Had an '07 for 4.5 years. For a while, I used a few different configurations of custom add-ons to the factory rack. Eventually had a BajaRack built with 4 integrated fork-mounts.

The set-up below could accomodate 4 bike or 2 bikes and a canoe - all for quick access... it was for adventure racing

If you look at the top/front of the rack, you can see the fork mounts in this pic...
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Any more on the rack you fab'd? Im using QRs screwed to a piece of plywood in my 3rd gen 4runner. It works but it'd be nice to upgrade to something more secure and versatile.

I like those FJ's. For those with family, I'd stay clear as the rear suicide doors and rear seat comfort is very lacking. This is why I went with a Land Cruiser. But for those single-folks, and people that don't need 2+ person capacity, it's a fun vehicle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Any more on the rack you fab'd? Im using QRs screwed to a piece of plywood in my 3rd gen 4runner. It works but it'd be nice to upgrade to something more secure and versatile.
    Let me dig around for some pics of the rack...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I like those FJ's. For those with family, I'd stay clear as the rear suicide doors and rear seat comfort is very lacking. This is why I went with a Land Cruiser. But for those single-folks, and people that don't need 2+ person capacity, it's a fun vehicle.
    Couldn't agree more. The FJC was great once the kids were in the backseat... although they complained that they couldn't see anything from back there. And 4 full-size guys filled the truck pretty quickly. The suicide doors were a bit of a hassle in parking lots - you can kinda get trapped in the V created by the two open doors if you don't have a lot of room.

last year, I went the Land Cruiser route.

mtbr member
    ^ Really? Never noticed any inconvenience with the suicide doors. You have great access to the interior with both doors open.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member

Took a better shot after ride today with the RIP9 to show interior clearance, this with a 140mm fork, 720mm bars, not much stack except for stem height on steerer tube. I think you could stagger 2 FSers inside but it'd be tight for sure.

XXIX
    Better pic but its from my phone so its not great. I put the bike in the back for my ride today
    and tried using straps to stabilize it, worked but was not ideal. It will work until I get my hitch carrier.
    This is so much better than my old TJ wrangler.

Toyota FJ Crusier owners?-20130217_171134.jpg

mtbr member
    Better pic but its from my phone so its not great. I put the bike in the back for my ride today
    and tried using straps to stabilize it, worked but was not ideal. It will work until I get my hitch carrier.
    This is so much better than my old TJ wrangler.
    Yeah, used to have Jeeps myself, these ride so much better and way more room.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    ^ Really? Never noticed any inconvenience with the suicide doors. You have great access to the interior with both doors open.
    No doubt - when the doors are both open, access is awesome. But every once in a while, I'd find myself parked too close to another car... unable to get both doors wide open... and there's that V, and the subsequent shuffle, open front door, open back, kid hops out, kid steps toward front, shut back door, kid shuffles back, shut front door...

Now, they have a huge, heavy door of their own to bang into the cars ;-) Nah, my kids are now 10 and 13 most of their door-dinging days are behind them... most... they are girls after all ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I went with the Yakima "Spare Time" rack. Mounts right on the spare, holds two bikes albiet tight. I like that I can open and close the back door with the bikes on, and frees up my hitch for a trailer. Good choice on the FJ. I love mine, it goes anywhere, is comfortable, and carries a good load. Enjoy your new ride!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast