Thread: Toyota Camry?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Toyota Camry?

Hello, i am considering buying a new Toyota Camry in the spring.
    Does anybody here own one? If you do: How do you like it? Are there any common quirks/problems with Toyota cars and Camry's?

Basically looking for first hand info on the Camry, personal reviews and opinions.

Thanks,
    Jon
    2009 Trek Fuel EX8 Black/White

mtbr member
    I do not have a Camry but suggest any other car. The Camry is totally ok, reliable, well designed and conveinent. However, it only comes as a sedan and to carry bikes and bike related stuff you really need a hatchback or wagon.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    I do not have a Camry but suggest any other car. The Camry is totally ok, reliable, well designed and conveinent. However, it only comes as a sedan and to carry bikes and bike related stuff you really need a hatchback or wagon.
    Camry+hitch is going to be just as good, if not better, than many other cars. I'm sure it has a huge trunk compared to a lot of hatches and wagons.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    i'm sorry for the hijack, but I had a quick question. I have an 09' hybrid camry and I was going to get a hitch. would this be the one to get? Trailer Hitch by Draw-Tite for 2009 Camry - 36416

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sorry forgot to mention, whatever vehicle i get will have a trailer hitch installed. I have a small 5'X8' utility trailer i use to haul my dirtbikes, so i would pick up a Thule T2 or doubletrack hitchrack for bike hauling also.

Raymo853-I really wanted a Hatchback or Wagon, but all of them have quirks that i dont like.
    Example:
    I love the subaru hatchbacks, but they mostly have CVT transmissions, i do not want a new CVT style transmission.
    I do not want a ford...that rules out focus hatch, flex, freestyle, edge, and escape.
    Honda and Nissan have CVT's....
    And so on.

Thanks,
    Jon

mtbr member
    My Camry is 13yrs old it has 229k in miles on it. With that being said I have almost ten years in the car biz. If buying new I would buy an accord. 2013 accord by far best being for the buck amazing car. If buying used go with either its literally a crap shot of awesome cars cant go wrong the end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain48 View Post
    My Camry is 13yrs old it has 229k in miles on it. With that being said I have almost ten years in the car biz. If buying new I would buy an accord. 2013 accord by far best being for the buck amazing car. If buying used go with either its literally a crap shot of awesome cars cant go wrong the end.
    The Accord looks like an awesome car too, however i was turned off because they have CVT transmissions. I don't like the fact that you cant feel the shifts, plus the technology is still kinda new and they are expensive to repair/replace from what i have read.....Any insight on CVT versus the conventional 5 or 6 speed auto trans?

mtbr member
    Too many issues with the CVT’s- for all makes.

You must be looking at 4 cylinder engines. Right? If so with the Accord you are stuck with a manual or CVT. You could get a 2011 or 2012 factory certified used V6 Accord (an exceptional car) for less than a new 4 banger Camry or Accord….

Both the Camry and Accord are great cars, but if I can’t get a conventional automatic in the Accord, I am going with the Camry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a 2012 Accord and like it. Wish I had a Subaru.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaMotocross View Post
    The Accord looks like an awesome car too, however i was turned off because they have CVT transmissions. I don't like the fact that you cant feel the shifts, plus the technology is still kinda new and they are expensive to repair/replace from what i have read.....Any insight on CVT versus the conventional 5 or 6 speed auto trans?
    You can feel the cvt shift, its just different. Your name is Hondamotocross so I am gonna guess you have a least a little knowlege of Honda. They do not put untested systems in there cars they have been using cvt's for almost 18 years in the civic. I have seen cvt cars with over 200k in miles on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    Too many issues with the CVT’s- for all makes.

You must be looking at 4 cylinder engines. Right? If so with the Accord you are stuck with a manual or CVT. You could get a 2011 or 2012 factory certified used V6 Accord (an exceptional car) for less than a new 4 banger Camry or Accord….

Both the Camry and Accord are great cars, but if I can’t get a conventional automatic in the Accord, I am going with the Camry.
    Issues such as ? If you preffer the feel of a conventional trans thats one thing but some facts suppoting that these trans have issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by jleeasc View Post
    I have a 2012 Accord and like it. Wish I had a Subaru.
    2012 accord and 2013 are very different cars If you want a subie trade your accord lifes to short to be unhappy.

mtbr member
    Sorry forgot to mention, whatever vehicle i get will have a trailer hitch installed. I have a small 5'X8' utility trailer i use to haul my dirtbikes, so i would pick up a Thule T2 or doubletrack hitchrack for bike hauling also.

Raymo853-I really wanted a Hatchback or Wagon, but all of them have quirks that i dont like.
    Example:
    I love the subaru hatchbacks, but they mostly have CVT transmissions, i do not want a new CVT style transmission.
    I do not want a ford...that rules out focus hatch, flex, freestyle, edge, and escape.
    And so on.

Thanks,
    Jon
    I agree the Subi CVTs are horrid as are most CVTs. Of course their manuals, while not the best, are still pretty good. And remember, no one with three working legs drives a car with two pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    [QUOTE=freighttrain48;9882256]You can feel the cvt shift, its just different. Your name is Hondamotocross so I am gonna guess you have a least a little knowlege of Honda. They do not put untested systems in there cars they have been using cvt's for almost 18 years in the civic. I have seen cvt cars with over 200k in miles on them.

Issues such as ? If you preffer the feel of a conventional trans thats one thing but some facts suppoting that these trans have issues?

2012 accord and 2013 are very different cars If you want a subie trade your accord lifes to short to be unhappy.[/Quote
    So,So true.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Example:
    And so on.

Thanks,
    Jon
    what's wrong with a Venza? it is camry based.

one of the MTB families in my neck of the woods has one, with hitch & towing a small trailer

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Hello, I have a 2009 Camry XLE. Huge trunk, rides awesome, every option.

The ONLY hitch to get is the CURT!!!! DO NOT GET ANY OTHER BRAND!!! Well you could but the Curt does not require any drilling, it screws right in to the existing holes. Installed in less than an hour.

I have a KUAT Sherpa. Why? I do not leave the hitch on the car, the Sherpa hardly weighs anything and is easily removed. Check the weight of some of these Hitch racks, insane.

Subaru? No thanks... I sold my lemon Subaru. Beautiful, fast turbo outback was a POS (3 turbos, clicking sound dealer could not locate, ran out of gas when it showed 1/4 tank left, I have a serious list and thank the lord above everyday that someone bought it). Got 17.5 MPG. My Camry is getting 31.8 MPG

Let me know if you want pics.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toyota Camry?-img_1157.jpg  

Last edited by JDubKC; 11-21-2012 at 01:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubKC View Post

Subaru? No thanks... I sold my lemon Subaru. Beautiful, fast turbo outback was a POS (3 turbos, clicking sound dealer could not locate, ran out of gas when it showed 1/4 tank left, I have a serious list and thank the lord above everyday that someone bought it). Got 17.5 MPG. My Camry is getting 31.8 MPG

Let me know if you want pics.

Cheers!
    The Outback XT isn't really a good representation of Subaru, lol. 3 turbos is odd- I can see one being faulty, but not 2 failing, unless maintenance was not done properly.

The comparable car, a Legacy 2.5i, is as nice if not nicer than a Camry in terms of build quality (the Subaru plant in Indiana builds about 80 Camrys a day, next to the Legacies), but it will get damn near the same MPG as the Camry, with full-time AWD.

I would be looking at Legacies and Accords over Camrys, for sure. Camrys are essentially an appliance, absolutely soulless, and the newer ones are not as nice as the ones from the 90's in terms of quality vs the rest of the competition.

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Turbo: The first was "faulty", the second was installed incorrectly from Subaru, and the 3rd was because they forgot to clean before installation... which introduced metal. I didn’t have to pay for any of it but still... The up tube cracked, the gas line cracked, it was truly a mess. Yes my Camry is "soulless" until my Intense rests on the back of it

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the input everyone.....i actually like the "appliance-ness" of the Camry.....it is plain and has no frills but goes from point a to point b.

I am past looking for a "cool" car......i just want something that will go in the direction i point it and be reliable.

I hit a snag with the Camry tho......The 2013 owners manual strongly advises against any type of trailer hitch being mounted.

Rogue Exterminator
    The 2013 owners manual strongly advises against any type of trailer hitch being mounted.
    I think you will see this more and more with new cars in the future.
    Not because it is any more of a problem then it was in prior years but because they don't want people buying them as tow vehicles instead of a vehicle designed for towing.
    With rising fuel costs and environmental awareness, people are looking for affordable green do it all cars. This will result in more people towing stuff they shouldn't tow with cars not designed to tow to begin with.

In all honesty, if you are planning on towing a couple dirt bikes, a Camry will do it, but it really isn't the right vehicle for you if you will be doing it regularly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    kjlued---You are totally correct, but i only tow my dirt bike 2 or 3 times a year a 60-70 mile round trip.....i could probably just rent a U-haul pickup truck with how infrequently i go to the track....plus that would save me from taking the car down gravel roads and through the grassy parking lots of the track.