Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hesston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233

    tiburon bike rack...?

    Hello fellow mtn bikers!

    I have a Tiburon...2005 to be exact...and I need a rack for it...

    The car does not have mechanism for a towing/ball hook-up arm and with the design of the car with the hatch back and spoiler, I don't feel very confident in strapping a rack on...

    any suggestions or someone who has one of these w/ a solution?

    currently, if I take off the front wheel, I can lay it down in the back of the car...since it is afterall a hatchback. But it would be convenient if I had a rack to strap onto and off of when I arrive at a trail...rather than taking a chance scratching up the car or something.

    thanks!!!
    experience life

    Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

    www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: parkp81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    340
    You can buy a tow hitch for your car and purchase a platform bike rack to connect to the tow hitch or a hanging bike rack that connects to the tow hitch.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    196
    what about a roof rack?
    bikes:
    2002 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodember
    This would make a great signature.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hesston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Neu5p3ed
    You can buy a tow hitch for your car and purchase a platform bike rack to connect to the tow hitch or a hanging bike rack that connects to the tow hitch.
    the only problem is that my tiburon has no hitch or anything. in that spot there is only a tow loop like to loop a chain thru or something
    experience life

    Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

    www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Neu5p3ed
    You can buy a tow hitch for your car and purchase a platform bike rack to connect to the tow hitch or a hanging bike rack that connects to the tow hitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by hesston
    the only problem is that my tiburon has no hitch or anything. in that spot there is only a tow loop like to loop a chain thru or something
    thats why you buy a tow hitch for your car
    bikes:
    2002 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodember
    This would make a great signature.

  6. #6
    29er Fan Boy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    76
    Here are hitches

    Both are the same parent company and judging by the pictures the same exact hitch. Sometimes Hidden Hitch has a nicer hidden style, but it doesn't look like it for your application. It was the same way on my car. Buy the cheaper one.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    196
    wonder if you need to drill holes to mount those or if they were like my tahoe and bolted into pre existing holes?
    have you thought about roof racks?

    edit:
    i think you do need to drill holes with that.
    i just looked up my moms car and it said "no drilling required"
    on the tib it said "trunk access needed"
    bikes:
    2002 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodember
    This would make a great signature.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hesston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by micycle mike
    wonder if you need to drill holes to mount those or if they were like my tahoe and bolted into pre existing holes?
    have you thought about roof racks?

    edit:
    i think you do need to drill holes with that.
    i just looked up my moms car and it said "no drilling required"
    on the tib it said "trunk access needed"
    okay...

    I'll need a torch or something to take of the welded chain hoop...and I'll look up a hitch thing. Thanks for the help.
    experience life

    Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

    www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    196
    a cutoff wheel would cut that loop off no problem.

    just wondering why roof racks are a no go?
    bikes:
    2002 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodember
    This would make a great signature.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hesston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by micycle mike
    a cutoff wheel would cut that loop off no problem.

    just wondering why roof racks are a no go?
    yeah.

    on the subject of roof racks: don't you have to bolt/drill something into the roof? and aren't they more expensive than bike racks?
    experience life

    Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

    www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    196
    you don't have to drill anything to your roof.
    you can get roof racks used on craigslist for $100-200 or new with bike trays for $350ish
    yeah that is more expensive than a hitch mount bike rack, but not if you have to spend $150 on a hitch

    roof racks are the only way to go (for me)
    lots of people don't like them, lots of people do.
    some people throw their bikes on the roof then drive into their garage and break their bike. others are smart and don't do that.

    check out yakima.com or thule.com they have a "build your rack" on both.
    it will give you an idea of what you need and how much it would cost, but you can find shops that sell way below msrp on those, especially if you buy a complete set from the shop.

    fyi to put a hitch on your car you need to drill holes in your trunk floor. unless you know what you are doing they might rust out.
    bikes:
    2002 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodember
    This would make a great signature.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hesston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by micycle mike
    you don't have to drill anything to your roof.
    you can get roof racks used on craigslist for $100-200 or new with bike trays for $350ish
    yeah that is more expensive than a hitch mount bike rack, but not if you have to spend $150 on a hitch

    roof racks are the only way to go (for me)
    lots of people don't like them, lots of people do.
    some people throw their bikes on the roof then drive into their garage and break their bike. others are smart and don't do that.

    check out yakima.com or thule.com they have a "build your rack" on both.
    it will give you an idea of what you need and how much it would cost, but you can find shops that sell way below msrp on those, especially if you buy a complete set from the shop.

    fyi to put a hitch on your car you need to drill holes in your trunk floor. unless you know what you are doing they might rust out.

    okay. I will check out the sites...

    so you are saying I do not have to cut off the hook thing? just drill it in and bolt it on? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but not in the sense of putting a hitch on a car...obviously.
    experience life

    Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

    www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    196
    i have no idea if you have to cut anything off your car for the hitch.
    i would believe you need to cut it off AND drill holes in your trunk floor.
    bikes:
    2002 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodember
    This would make a great signature.

  14. #14
    Religion = Non-thinking
    Reputation: louisssss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,146
    i got my tow hitch for accord for $150 and my hitch mount bike rack for $150
    Curt Hitch + Sportrack XC2
    RH SL Pro

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •