mtbr member
    May 2009

Situation Resolved

I have a Thule roof rack and a T2 hitch rack. Also have a Kuat NV and a Yakima 4-bike hitch rack. Im a realist....all racks are going to need some love now and then in the form of replacement parts, use use our stuff a lot.

I needed a tray for my Yakima.....one phone call, great customer service and three days later UPS delivers my part.

I needed some replacement parts for my Kuat...one phone call for a question, a visit to the website placed the order BAM...parts arrive within four business days

I need some parts for my Thule roof rack(its a brand new rack and its broken). four phone calls, a combined wait time of over an hour and never did get a person) left two messages in their totally f#ked up VM system with no return calls. So frustrated I tried to buy the parts but the shop-a-tronic system hasn't forwarded the order and of course neither company will respond to emails or has humans to answer phone calls.

Is this Thule's standard level of service or Im I just getting "lucky"

--------------------------------- UPDATE AS OF APRIL 15 ---------------------------------

Spoke with a nice fellow from Thule who called me. Seems that I just happened to be "lucky" and a series of situations conspired against me.

Average wait time is four minutes....I experienced 15+ on multiple occasions, bad luck on my part. The Shopotronic glitch is still being looked into.

Thule has offered a resolution to the situation which is more than fair and kudos to them for doing so. Just an FYI....Thule is in the midst of upgrading their customer service tools (phone system and other items) so that they can offer the "the best service possible".

Thank you to Thule for resolving this situation. S#it happens, how we resolve it says a lot about a company. Thule handled this well one we established communications.
    Last edited by STT GUY; 04-15-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    have you tried calling the shop you got it from? Maybe they can help you get the parts you need for your Thule.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So, um, I've easily ordered replacement parts from their website...
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    I have a Thule roof rack and a T2 hitch rack. Also have a Kuat NV and a Yakima 4-bike hitch rack. Im a realist....all racks are going to need some love now and then in the form of replacement parts, use use our stuff a lot.

I needed a tray for my Yakima.....one phone call, great customer service and three days later UPS delivers my part.

I needed some replacement parts for my Kuat...one phone call for a question, a visit to the website placed the order BAM...parts arrive within four business days

I need some parts for my Thule roof rack(its a brand new rack and its broken). four phone calls, a combined wait time of over an hour and never did get a person) left two messages in their totally f#ked up VM system with no return calls. So frustrated I tried to buy the parts but the shop-a-tronic system hasn't forwarded the order and of course neither company will respond to emails or has humans to answer phone calls.

Is this Thule's standard level of service or Im I just getting "lucky"

Honestly THULE HAS DELIVERED THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED IN THE BIKE INDUSTRY. Is business so good for Thule that they just don't give a poop?

Any tips for actually getting a human on th phone at Thule, or should I just give up, sell this POS and by a different brand?
    I ca't directly attest to their customer service yet, but I JUST bought (less than a month ago) a brand new T2 917XTR from RackAttack and one of the arms that goes over the front wheel loosens itself up as I drive. I called RackAttack and they said that Thule recently changed how they handle warranty issues... the guy didn't sound optimistic. I still haven't heard back from them since I called yesterday. The ONLY reason I went with the T2 over any other rack was because the T2 seems to be the only hitch mounted rack that allows you to independently space the racks from forward, back, and side to side... I didn't want to have to drop my seat so that it doesn't hit another bike's saddle etc. So far, I'm not impressed with the quality of their product at all... the fact that their warranty service is also lacking really makes me nervous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Regarding that T2 917XTR, I have the same arm on my Sidearm, and I will say this: the trigger on it sucks. Sometimes it seems like it grabs, when in actuality, it doesn't, and then it will come loose. The best thing to do is pull out on the trigger when the arm is in place, and jiggle the arm- and then lock it. I don't use my Sidearm anymore without locking the lock cylinder. That will keep it from sliding open.

My point is- I suspect they all do that. Mine does it, my friend's does it, yours does it.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Regarding that T2 917XTR, I have the same arm on my Sidearm, and I will say this: the trigger on it sucks. Sometimes it seems like it grabs, when in actuality, it doesn't, and then it will come loose. The best thing to do is pull out on the trigger when the arm is in place, and jiggle the arm- and then lock it. I don't use my Sidearm anymore without locking the lock cylinder. That will keep it from sliding open.

My point is- I suspect they all do that. Mine does it, my friend's does it, yours does it.
    Well I was somewhat aware of the "looseness" of the trigger, since several of my buddies have this same rack. But mine is brand new, AND I did exactly what you said, cinch it down as tight as it can go, wiggle it, and lock it... the arm still managed to come loose on the freeway. Not to the point where the bike be flopping around, but I could see the hook rotating as the bike moved around... NOT acceptable, especially for a new $400 rack.

mtbr member
    They are likely going to ask you to take it to a dealer for a warranty inspection. Dealer would be able to get the replacement parts for you as well.

As far as their customer service goes, I can't say enough about Thule. They handled an issue with one of my carriers very quickly. Big fan of Thule.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oh yeah, that's not good. I only accept it because I already have it, and aside from locking it, I always use a backup strap. I've seen similar questionable designs from Yakima too. Too much plastics in the mechanisms, really. One of these days I will get a 1Up
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    I just got off the phone with RackAttack and they are sending me 2 new rack arms for the T2. I told him that both arms seem to slide along a little too easily, and he told me that quite a few people have had the same issues. So in case anyone else is having similar issues (I don't actually know what the OP's issue was), I'd suggest going through your dealer for warranty issues, rather than Thule (if possible).

FWIW, I've heard from friends that dealing with Thule is a pretty good experience... so maybe the OP's experience is not typical.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    They are likely going to ask you to take it to a dealer for a warranty inspection. Dealer would be able to get the replacement parts for you as well.

As far as their customer service goes, I can't say enough about Thule. They handled an issue with one of my carriers very quickly. Big fan of Thule.
    Well...my dealer cant get them to respond either. is there like a secret knock/handshake/pass word that we need to know to get these folks to reply? Right now they are Yakima and Kuats best advertisement.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    have you tried calling the shop you got it from? Maybe they can help you get the parts you need for your Thule.
    Yep, attempted to go via my dealer first. My dealer went via QBP to get the rack system for me. However, parts have to come direct from Thule. My dealer gets the same sh#t customer service I do......Totally unacceptable.

I guess my only hope is that the Thule peeps see this thread and might try to help.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    So, um, I've easily ordered replacement parts from their website...
    I tried but the shop-o-sh#t-tronic system that Thule contracts out to process orders didn't deliver the order to Thule.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009

Update>>Thule still sucks but at least my rack will work

Decided that instead of trying to reach these hammerheads when they obviously don't care, I'll just have my dealer order a whole new tray assembly from QBP. Its costing me $80 more than the parts alone but it seems that's the only way to get a functional rack.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    too bad there are no local REI's to you..... this is where their super liberal satisfaction policy helps a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    too bad there are no local REI's to you..... this is where their super liberal satisfaction policy helps a lot.
    My dealer I bought it from rocks....he's gotten the same s#hitty service from Thule as I have been getting. Not his fault. I actually broke the part that needs replacement, its not a warranty issue. All I'm trying to do is buy replacement parts for a nearly new rack. My order got stuck in the Shopotronic que and not forwarded to Thule. Neither Thule nor Shopotronic will answer the phone or return email inquiries so WTF can I do.

I'm ok with it, I get to influence a ton of purchasing decisions. KUAT is the bomb and Yakima has stepped up their game and both have forgotten more about good service that it seems Thule will ever know. I'll just kick Thule in the nuts every chance I get....and I get a lot of chances.

"Business goes where it is promoted....it STAYS where it is serviced".
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    settle down, beavis
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hmmmmmmm. Got home from a great day of guiding on Gooseberry Mesa and there is a message from Thule referencing this thread. Credit where it's due, the first thing on the message was an apology for the poor customer service. I already had my dealer pull the trigger on the entire tray assy from QBP and it shipped today (same day as it was ordered.) so at least I will have a functional rack.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thats crazy that you had such a different experience than I did. I have a Velo Vice V2 bike tray that the insides crapped out on me. I called and was on hold for maybe 5 minutes. At the time I couldnt remember what model so I emailed her pictures. Got an email saying it was warrantied, and a new head was sent out. One week later I had a echelon head. Maybe its the difference of having a good customer service rep on the line. I have another Velo rack, hopefully I dont have a bad experience if that one goes out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chappie752 View Post
    Thats crazy that you had such a different experience than I did. I have a Velo Vice V2 bike tray that the insides crapped out on me. I called and was on hold for maybe 5 minutes. At the time I couldnt remember what model so I emailed her pictures. Got an email saying it was warrantied, and a new head was sent out. One week later I had a echelon head. Maybe its the difference of having a good customer service rep on the line. I have another Velo rack, hopefully I dont have a bad experience if that one goes out.
    I could never het ANY response via email or VM....THAT was the problem.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    PM me if you'd like the email address of the person that helped me
    Last edited by chappie752; 04-13-2013 at 01:17 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chappie752 View Post
    PM me if you'd like the email address of the person that helped me
    Thanks. A fellow from Thule called me and left a VM yesterday while I was out guiding. I will return his call Monday and we'll see what shakes out. Since the tray already shipped from QBP I honestly can't see how there is much Thule can do regarding a resolution.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009

Problem Resloved

Spoke with a nice fellow from Thule who called me. Seems that I just happened to be "lucky" and a series of situations conspired against me.

Average wait time is four minutes....I experienced 15+ on multiple occasions, bad luck on my part, it happens. The Shopotronic glitch is still being looked into.

Thule has offered a resolution to the situation which is more than fair and kudos to them for doing so. Just an FYI....Thule is in the midst of upgrading their customer service tools (phone system and other items) so that they can offer the "the best service possible" consistently.

Thank you to Thule for resolving this situation. S#it happens, how we resolve it says a lot about a company. Thule handled this well once we established communications.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts