mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Thule T2 Question

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read my post,

I am currently in the market for a bike rack and I知 very curious as to how efficient and durable the Thule T2 locking cylinders are, the lock on the arm that goes over the tire?

I have been debating between the Kuat NV and Thule T2 and, since I like to take long road trips and stop inside for a meal after I致e been driving for hours, I want my bike to be secure; I believe someone with cable cutters could quickly and easily cut the cable lock on either device. Thus, I have narrowed down the primary deciding factor as to which rack provides the best security, and I知 presuming the Thule T2 does since it has canister locks, any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Elitest thrill junkie
    Relying on either of them would be stupid. Realize that in either case the thief just has to let the air out of your tires to wiggle your bike free. I use a big kryptonite chain to chain the bike to the rack, even then I do not let the bikes out of my sight for more than a few min. If it's a restaurant I try to park where I can see them at least most of the time OR back my car in so the bikes touch a wall, that can make it impossible to maneuver around enough to get at them in a short time period, but never underestimate thiefs.

The thule locks can be defeated by yanking real hard on the arms. I don't know the weaknesses of the kuat ones, but I'd think about the above way before caring about the individual lock systems on these racks. There are better ways to "secure" the bikes temporarily, although you just got to be careful no matter what. The stories of people leaving their bikes outside on their racks at night just blow me away.

We always sit and think about all these security measures, but we fail to think about bikes the way thieves do. When we want to get our bike out of the rack, we want to go through the steps necessary to prevent damaging our bike and car. Think about roof-racks and the fact that you can just grab the handlebars with enough force and "pop" the rack and bike off. They might even use a tire iron, or if they have access, a fast angle grinder. You might damage the rack or even the vehicle, but who cares? Maybe you even break a dropout on the fork, but who cares when you've got most of a bike to sell for some crystal meth?

Think about adding steps or deterrents that just make it "not worth the time/effort" for thieves. Realize that the lock cores/locks that control the arms are just not going to slow them down, not when you can let the air out of the tires so fast. Go with whichever rack you like using more. I've had people complain about the kuat, saying it just looks good, but it's not as secure and reliable as others, and some say the T2 is too heavy and it scuffs the fork or some of the interfaces should be better. I have the T2 and it's been great year after year (2005 or 2006 is when I got it), but the kuat is a good rack as well and popular in it's own right.
    Last edited by Jayem; 04-25-2013 at 12:45 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the reply,

Ideally I would do all that I can in terms of prevention, parking where I can see them, not leaving the bikes out overnight or for extended periods of time, extra security measure etc... However, it is so easy to get sidetracked when your ordering or eating a meal and often times a minute or two is more than enough to steal a bike. I considered other locking methods but it would seem quality bolt cutters or a fast angle grinder would make light work of them. Generally, I am not worried about a person doing blatantly obvious things that would draw significant attention (like yanking the bike off the roof).

I figured the core locks would add additional time and require more effort, sadly I never even thought about the thief letting the air out of the tire, such a simple workaround. This does make me re-consider the Kuat NV, since their is such a simple workaround for the cores. I have considered using a quality U-lock and seeing if it would fit snuggly around the tire and frame, but I doubt it would and perhaps it could even be damaging.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMushroom View Post
    Hello and thanks for taking the time to read my post,

I am currently in the market for a bike rack and I知 very curious as to how efficient and durable the Thule T2 locking cylinders are, the lock on the arm that goes over the tire?

I have been debating between the Kuat NV and Thule T2 and, since I like to take long road trips and stop inside for a meal after I致e been driving for hours, I want my bike to be secure; I believe someone with cable cutters could quickly and easily cut the cable lock on either device. Thus, I have narrowed down the primary deciding factor as to which rack provides the best security, and I知 presuming the Thule T2 does since it has canister locks, any input is appreciated.

Thanks

The T2 has the worst false security I have ever seen.

You can defeat this rack by:

1) taking a phillips screwdriver and unscrewing the wheel hooks from the arms.
    2) bending the wheel hooks up by hand... Yeah, the metal hooks are that weak. I accidentally bent mine by just making sure it was pushed down tightly. I had to fabricate my own hook out of heavier gauge steel to replace it. They used like 18ga 1/2" steel tubing, not much better than EMT electrical conduit pipe.
    3) removing the front wheel of the bike and just taking the rest of it.
    4) twisting the lock cores with a big flat screwdriver turned with a pair of vice grips

IMO, those locks are there just to keep the rack from popping open by itself on the freeway

The rack itself is okay, apart from being big, heavy and not being able to fold down any smaller to fit in the trunk of a car. Just invest in a good quality heavy hardened steel chain and locks, and actually lock the bikes to the frame of the car itself. That can still be defeated, but it would take more gear than a casual thief might carry with him, and it would be noisy.

Thule T2 Question-kryptonite-zkl05_1.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

IMO, those locks are there just to keep the rack from popping open by itself on the freeway

The rack itself is okay, apart from being big, heavy and not being able to fold down any smaller to fit in the trunk of a car. Just invest in a good quality heavy hardened steel chain and locks, and actually lock the bikes to the frame of the car itself. That can still be defeated, but it would take more gear than a casual thief might carry with him, and it would be noisy.
    I agree. Also that is a good lock and the type that would possibly make it too much effort for them in the short-term.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Single Speed Junkie
    I had a T2 and thought it was a nice rack. Sold it for a 1up and happy with the decision. No experience with the Kuat.

While the T2 had locks I never felt the bike was secure as one could defeat it rather quickly if motivated. On the T2 if going into a store the T2 would be locked in addition to a heavy cable lock deterring thieves.

With the 1up I'm using the same heavy cable lock. While a motivate thief with the right tools could still get the bike it is much more difficult than the T2 lock alone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had a T2 since 2008 and it's still going strong. I do take it off the vehicle when I'm not using it but it's travelled all over the east coast and midwest without a single problem. It works great for me but it's the only rack I've ever used. I do have to lock cores and I haven't had any problems.
    When I want additional security, either at the trail head, a restaurant, or anywhere else I can't see the bikes, I use a large 20', 3/8" thick rubber coated cable and run it through the bike frames and wheels, around the rack and then through the hitch receiver on the vehicle. Bought the cable at Lowes with a nice heavy duty lock. Like anything, if a thief wants your stuff bad enough, they'll take it but for the average street criminal they aren't going to spend the time with the cable as they're normally looking for the easy score, I believe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the replies thus far.

mtbr member
    I have the doubletrack which is similar to the T2 but the hook comes down on the frame instead of the tire. I dont think it would be that easy to get off the rack by just letting the air out of the tires but those locks are nothing more then a deterrent from punks joy riding an unlocked bike. They aren't going to stop a bike thief. Definitely use an additional lock if you are concerned about it

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I like the cable locks on my T2, but as others have said, its not going to cut it. I think that any way to slow them down is all I am trying to do. Bikes are rarely out of site for long.

I am still going to get a good thick chain and lock to make things a bit tougher.