mtbr member

Thule T2 anything better?

Need a platform bike rack and the T2 916XTR is my top list. Anything better that you would recommend?
    ________
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    1up usa. About the same price, all told and... once you look at one everything Thule and Yakima make will seem kind of cheap/cheesy.

mtbr member
    I just bought a T2 in the fall. It is the best value IMO. They are definitely less expensive than a 1up when you figure out shipping and also T2's are on sale every other month for 20% off.

The only thing I see with T2 is the paint is cheap and it will start to rust. I wish thule would redo the T2 design, and use galvanized or aluminum. The weight doesn't bother me - it feels like a tank which is a good thing when loading bikes.

Also, the T2 needs an option for just a 3rd bike. The 2 bike addon just makes it too long in my opinion.

Dirt Junkie
    I've been real happy with my Kuat Sherpa, but the NV and Core look great too. The Sherpa was just so much lighter than anything out there, around 29lbs for a 2 bike rack complete.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member

Thule T2 anything better?

I'm very happy with my kuat nv. It's mainly aluminium so doesn't rust like hold ups and T2s and I think would be a little lighter. Plus it has a built in work stand. The 1up intrigues me but since it doesn't appear there are ever any discounts it's a lot more expensive than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    1UpUSA by far. The modularity for storage and for ease/speed of installation can't be over rated.

J.

ballbuster
    Another vote for 1Up.

I had a T2 and it was too big to fit in the trunk of my car. It doesn't fold down at all and weighs a ton. The weight wouldn't bother me so much if it was made more burly, but it isn't. Also, the hook bent up on me. Those things are made from some seriously soft aluminum tubing. A strong pair of hands could just grab the hook and bend it up. It can be taken apart with a phillips screwdriver enough to free the bike, so the locks are pretty much there just to keep the thing from popping open. It also jacked up the boot on my Lefty fork. The hook lands right on the top of the accordion boot. I could go on, but you get the idea. I'm surprised these things are as popular as they are.

I got a 1Up, and life is much better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    kuat nv

mtbr member
    Just checked out 1Up, and I thought Thule was expensive : )
    ________
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Just checked out 1Up, and I thought Thule was expensive : )
    That was kinda my reaction also to the 1up. It looks like a great set-up, but WOW, they are very proud of them.

The T2 was at the top of my list when I first started researching. I guess if you store your bike rack in your car, then the 1up is a good option. Mine gets stored in the garage so that's not an issue. The ease of installation is also something to think about. My Kuat Sherpa takes about 15-20 seconds to install and maybe another 10 to install the bike so that's not really much different that others out there. I guess just weigh your options and your priorities. My big hitters were usability, cost and weight, in that order.

Make sure to check out Cracks and Racks. They are a sponsor here they carry several different manufacturers and you can usually get a good discount for being on MTBR. Good people.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Any of the high end racks (Thule, Yakima and Kuat) are all around the same price. You'll be looking at around $400 for the main component. The bike add-ons are all around the same price as well, $250-300 for two more bikes. I've used Yakima and Thule racks in the past, and they're awesome racks. I fitted a T2 916XTR on my SUV (MDX) and the inner rack's wheel tray goes up right against my bumper, so you might want to check to see how it would fit on your car. I've seen bumpers that had a big chunk of paint missing from the Thule wheel tray rubbing.

Not many people use Inno racks and I'm one of the few (INH305 + 306 one bike add on). Its a great rack and the customer support is awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have zero regrets about my 1Up. My friend has a T2 and it was super uncool when there was some cold/wet weather a few weeks ago that completely froze up his T2's arms. It was ok, we just took my car with the 1Up.

That plus the 1Up is infinitely rebuildable. I love a product that I know will last near forever. The Thule stuff eventually rusts and I am not super happy with the reliability of their mounting arm mechanisms.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    We have had a T2 for almost 3 years. No issues at all. It's very sturdy and we are constantly taking it off and on and tossing it in the garage.

Looking in to getting the 2 bike extender as we need to carry another bike.

"Also, the T2 needs an option for just a 3rd bike. The 2 bike addon just makes it too long in my opinion. " yep

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepergirl17 View Post
    We have had a T2 for almost 3 years. No issues at all. It's very sturdy and we are constantly taking it off and on and tossing it in the garage.

Looking in to getting the 2 bike extender as we need to carry another bike.

"Also, the T2 needs an option for just a 3rd bike. The 2 bike addon just makes it too long in my opinion. "
    Like this
    Thule T2 anything better?-hitch1.jpg
    Thule T2 anything better?-hitch2.jpg
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    yes, perfect picture. thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thule T2 + add on = 61+57lbs = 118 lbs and you can't separate them except by unbolting. That would take at least two of us to get out of the garage, and onto the car. My wife would not be able to do that herself. When assembled, the whole thing is more than 55" long which makes for an interesting storage problem. You either shelf space of about 4'x4.5" or you need wall space this size and then you need to lift the 118lb assembled rack into place.

REI now, T2 4 bike price is $449+$329= $778

1upUSA two bike + 2 add ons = 48lbs + 2*18= 84lbs and it's designed to put then on piece by piece so the largest increment is 48lbs and they are much easier to store.

1upUSA cost is $529+ 2*199 = $927 or 19% more expensive which is the premium for lighter, non rusting, and modular.

I didn't pay that for mine, since I've had it now for approaching 5 or 6 years but it was still pricey. That said, I've never regretted it because the premium isn't that high and it's really easy to store (I hang the modules independently on the wall). I like the fact that I don't have a big rack tail when I only need to take one bike and that it never rusts.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    1Up looks great just due to the 3rd bike attachment.

Vincit qui patitur
    Thule also have adapters for fat bikes too.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL