Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slightly askew

Thule lock removal

Can it be done?( without a drill or torch) Like to reuse them. Thanx
    Zero charisma

mtbr member
    May 2006
    the locks should have come with a blank installation and removal key, one with the squarish head. It takes a little finesse to wiggle them out.

Slightly askew
    Thanx. Ill giv'er
    Zero charisma

mtbr member
    they have to be in the unlocked position to be removed...sounds obvious but you'd be surprised

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry, I don't get the question. Did you lose the key? The Thule hitch lock consists of a screwed on hex bolt. A plastic bodied lock is then placed onto the bolt head, basically covering the hex bolt head, preventing the use of a wrench (which is included) to remove it. As I recall, the key is double edged, so there could be two sets of tumblers on the lock (harder to pick).

tk

Slightly askew
    Ive got the keys... their not coming out. Tried all different ways.. No dice. Thanx for the help all.
    Zero charisma

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So you can't get the keys out, or you not getting the plastic lock body off with the keys? Maybe it's got junk inside all gummed up. Have you tried washing it out or even drenching it soap and water (or WD-40) then blasting it out with compressed air?

Good luck.

tk

mtbr member
    mate, you are doing something wrong...

the lock needs to be in the unlocked position

take the key out

insert the blank install key(it has no teeth cut in it)

pull on the install key while wiggling it from side to side slightly

the lock will come out on the end of the install key

fanny's your aunt

if the lock doesn't come out the lock may be dirty and need some more wiggling or you may have the lock in the locked position

Slightly askew
    I give up.. ive no blank key with my locks. Ive tried monkeys, turkeys, norse night god loki. Guess someone gets free locks. Thanks for the help ya'll.
    Zero charisma

mtbr member
    May 2006
    take it to a bike shop

mtbr member
    taking it to a bike shop won't do any good if they don't have an insyall key, that's all he needs and it takes 2 seconds to get the lock out, there's no other way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    taking it to a bike shop won't do any good if they don't have an insyall key, that's all he needs and it takes 2 seconds to get the lock out, there's no other way.

THere is another way. I just pulled 4 of them out last night with no keys at all.

TO do it with out the key you need to be able to get at the back side of the lock cylinder. With lock in the unlock position you can see one last metal tab holding the lock in the rack. Just use a small screwdriver to push this tab in the the lock will slide out.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerthanmilhouse
    I give up.. ive no blank key with my locks. Ive tried monkeys, turkeys, norse night god loki. Guess someone gets free locks. Thanks for the help ya'll.
    Edit: it's called a universal change key, and can be ordered from Thule:

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.as...9&sku=853-1251
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 04-06-2008 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by longman

The install keys are all the same, at least mine are. I have several sets, but they are at least 10 years old.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    9GUY9:

Your idea of pushing on the metal tab at the back was awesome.

Btw, I tried i) using Thule's universal change key, and ii) pushing on the metal tab manually with a small screwdriver but had no luck either way I could not remove the cylinder completely when 90% of its body is already exposed. There seems to be something holding it back.

Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teich
    9GUY9:

Your idea of pushing on the metal tab at the back was awesome.

Btw, I tried i) using Thule's universal change key, and ii) pushing on the metal tab manually with a small screwdriver but had no luck either way I could not remove the cylinder completely when 90% of its body is already exposed. There seems to be something holding it back.

Any help is appreciated.
    I just removed four cylinders tonight using the change key. The trick is that you need to push the key all the way in until you hear a click. This brings in the tumbler that holds the lock into place, then you jiggle it out. The trick that is that you must hear that click, if the key even moves a fraction out of the lock, you must push it back in and hear the click again. Ideally if you can get the racks off your roof it makes it easier to remove but turning the lock down and letting gravity help you out bit.

Remember the CLICK is the key.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi JokerBoy.

Thanks for telling me that it can be done. After I tried opening and/or closing the lock first with the real key, I was able to remove the lock with the blank key! In other words, the blank key works only when the lock is open or closed (don't remember which one exactly).

Teich

mtbr member
    fyi, the Thule lock cylinder needs to be in the unlocked position before inserting the Thule universal change key to remove the lock. Otherwise, anyone could just walk around with the change key and insert into any Thule lock in the locked position and remove lock and expensive toy!!! So it's a good idea to always keep locks in locked position, so some ne'er-do-well couldn't just come along and remove your cylinders just to be a jerkyboy.
    oh boy, lucky me...i install yakima racks & thule racks | school of rack

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Removing Thule lock cores

If the locks are older the last catch tends to rust shut.The lock will function perfectly,except when you try to remove it,either with the universal change key or by pushing in the last catch with a screwdriver (see previous post-which works fine without the rust factor).I'm in the process of soaking the locks in WD-40 to see if I can free up that last frozen catch!
    Last edited by kevincoyne; 08-17-2009 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a thule roof box and want to change the locks.
    I have the lock removal key and it works on my bike racks.

But with the roof box you cannot take the lock key out when unlocked.
    This is because thule roof box is designed not to let the key out until it is locked.
    So i cant take the key out to put the unlock key in.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

mtbr member
    put the key in and turn it to about two o'clock, pull the key out, the lock should stay in this 2 o'clock position. Put the blank key in and pull the lock out. Both these steps may involve some wiggling of the key depeneding on the age/condition of the box

insert the new lock using the blank key. use the new key to turn the lock and it is now installed

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thank you Longman.Worked a treat!
    I owe you a pint!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I found this thread searching on how to remove Thule lock cylinders. I struggled for quite awhile last night with a Thule ski rack trying to get the lock-cylinders out. This thread helped me quite a bit and I want to add to it to spare someone else some frustration if they hit the "cylinder out 90% but won't go further" point.

First, salt corrosion caused the lock-cylinder tabs to stick and not release when the lock-cylinder key was inserted. Knowing this from reading the thread was a huge help. WD-40 and a pick tool from the backside eventually got the tabs to move freely. Mine were so salt-encrusted I could not even see the tabs. Jumping ahead, after I got the lock-cylinders out, all of this cleaned off and the lock-cylinders look & work like new.

Next, on the ski rack the lock-cylinder releases from the locked position! You need to secure the push latch away from the lock-cylinder then put the lock-cylinder in locked position. I used a big tie-wrap to hold the push latch back. Then, the lock-cylinder comes right out. I discovered this after a long and vigorous invective hurled at the Swedes.

If the lock-cylinder is in the unlocked position, it only pops out about 1/8" with the lock-cylinder tool. You can then insert the regular key and the cylinder pops out 90% of the way but no further. The reason is that the lock-cylinder is 90-degree away from the channel that lets the tumbler pins clear so it comes out easily. On the ski racks the lock-cylinder resides in a metal sleeve that is snapped into the ABS frame of the rack itself.

The bottom line was I could not figure this out until I popped the whole lock/sleeve assembly out of the rack and could see that the lock-cylinder could not clear until it was in the locked position! Then I realized that there was no way the lock-cylinder would release in the un-locked position as you are "supposed" to do. What keeps the lock-cylinder from being removed on the rack when it is locked and in use is the end of it is locked into the ski rack push latch. It won't go anywhere unless the rack is open, the push latch held away from the lock-cylinder, relocked w/ the key, & then removed with the Thule lock-cylinder tool.

us_rider

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

How to remove a stuck Thule lock core

I had a "stuck" cargo box lock core. No amount of "wiggling" the core with the replacement key would work. So here's what I you can do:

Take a regular paper clip, straighten it and then use a pair of needle-nose pliers to bend the tip so as to make a tiny little hook at one end.

Stick that hook into the key slot and hook an edge BEFORE you insert the remover key. This works best if you try to snag the concave edge.

Make sure the core remover key goes in all the way and then carefully wiggle the lock while pulling on the core with your hook.

It took a few minutes, but the core came out. I swore it was in there for good.

Happy trails
    !

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Longman for the win. Thanks scout!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast