mtbr member

Thule Helium + Modern bikes = fail

More of a rant on bike racks with modern frames. Was very excited about the ease of hitch style racks, so the bikes would go right on it and all would be good (would have went for a tray style hitch, but I need to be able to pull the rack on/off relatively easily as I'm in a high crime hood). But the Helium has ginormous rubber pieces and this anti sway cage that will NOT work with my Medium Ibis Mojo (basically not enough space in between the frame at all). Turner Highline, no chance in hell fitting onto the rack. Tried without the anti sway cage, the Ibis actually came off of the rack while driving, and scratched it up. Basically I had to get those cross bars to connect the headset/seatpost and put the bikes on thru that. Really sucks that a $300+ rack doesn't fit modern shaped bikes, and it's not as easy at all vs a tray style as the pin mechanism on the cross bars aren't the most user friendly.

I have to wonder, are these crossbars sturdy? I mean there's a pin there and that's it. Carrying a 40+lb freeride bike thru the mountains scared me but don't know if I should have been.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Should have gotten a hitch rack with "trays", by not doing that, you have defeated/can not benefit from the improvements made to hitch racks in the last 8-10 yrs. I remove my T2 in about 30 seconds with the tool. The key is storing it close to your vehicle in the garage, because it is bulky and heavy, but otherwise, it's simple and easy to install/take off. All bets are off if your using an "older style" hitch rack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    actually, the Helium is a great rack. the fact that it won't fit bikes with irregular frame shapes and/or freeride bikes should be fairly obvious from looking at it. it weighs one half what the Thule T2 tray rack weighs, plus it has lots of nice features, including a better mechanism for attaching the rack to the hitch receiver than the T2 (the expander wedge). alas it didn't fit my new bike, either, so I had to sell it. picked up the 1up tray rack which is nice but spendy.

Hi.
    Sell the helium, and pick up a tray rack. You can get a locking hitch pin so you don't have to worry too much about theft, and I've seen people modify their racks to make them even more theft-proof.

And it doesn't weigh that much...