mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Thule Echelon Issues

I have two Thule Echelons. The fork clamp on one of them popped open (wasn't locked) while driving. Fortunately the bike didn't fall over. Both of them are hard to lock -- I have to turn the key with enough force I'm worried about damaging the key.

Anyone else own echelons? Any issues? Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It sounds like the lock is not deep enough for some reason. Try pushing in on the key while turning it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Had one fail last Thursday.......three weeks old. LBS kinda talked me into it over a fork mount system. Fortunately, I checked it last time before leaving and it was completely loose. Using a motorcycle tie down to keep it tight.....even after it is replaced I will continue to do the same. It's on my wife's CR-V.....she freaked. Should heat tomorrow what the Thule rep says about it. Let me guess, "why I've never heard of this happening before."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So, you aren't tightening the knob too much are you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    So, you aren't tightening the knob too much are you?
    I don't think so -- they say you should feel resistance at 45 degrees

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I took them back to REI and they exchanged them. The new ones are working great so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've had endless problems with the Echelons. Is anyone using them on round bars? (they are sold as round-bar compatible)

lamer
    I use a Thule lock cylinder on mine specifically to ensure that the lever can't flip up. Before I bought the lock cylinder I never had the lever come up, but better safe then sorry. I tighten the knob a little more than they probably recommend, then push the lever down and lock it there.

I did break one of the keys off in the lock while trying to unlock it the other day, but I'm fairly sure the problem was that I didn't fully insert the key before I turned it. Luckily it came out fairly easy with a pair of pliers.

I've never had any problems with the mounting hardware on Thule square bars, but I could see a potential problem with round bars:

In the above image, part G is the mount for the front mounting bracket. The front is secured with 2 bolts, while the rear is held into the head by just a metal tab. If you tighten down the front bolts too much you will probably bend the tab on the bracket, or bend the bracket around the bar, making it fit loose on the head. Trying to compensate for the loose fit by tightening the bolts more will probably just make the problem worse.

It might be helpful to try a replacement bracket. A new one is $6.

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...ew=spareparts#