Thread: Thule Echelon

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Thule Echelon

Looks like my Echelons will not fit around my rapid aero bars. What can I do to make them work (without ordering the adapter since Ive heard negative reviews about it)? Wish Thule would have told me this when I ordered them.

Also, are there any special things I should do when I put my bike up on the rack? Never done it before and want to know if there are certain tips, etiquettes or hazards. Should I remove anything from the bike to reduce drag or to avoid falling off?

Thank you
    Last edited by Leechiro; 03-16-2010 at 01:03 PM.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Leechiro
    Looks like my Echelons will not fit around my rapid aero bars. What can I do to make them work (without ordering the adapter since Ive heard negative reviews about it)? Wish Thule would have told me this when I ordered them.

Also, are there any special things I should do when I put my bike up on the rack? Never done it before and want to know if there are certain tips, etiquettes or hazards. Should I remove anything from the bike to reduce drag or to avoid falling off?

Thank you
    Did you really call thule and ask them if they would fit your aero bars, or did you just order them? If you ordered them at the same time as your aero bars, the shop you ordered them from should have verified you would need the thule xadapt9.

The xadapt 9 isn't that bad and doesn't really deserve a bad rap. the key to installing it is not to overtighten the rear lever. if you do, it won't make the rack any tighter, it will just potentially strip or break the plastic lever.

as far as mounting your bike..always make sure you attach the rear wheel strap. at first, driving with you bike on top can be a little bit unnerving but you will get used to it.

as far as etiquette goes... never pull into the garage with you bike on top, and never, under any circumstancesget stuck in the drive thru lane at taco bell with you bike on top.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I ordered it from the Thule website using the fit guide so Im sure I ordered everything it recommended.

Im gonna try home depot and see I can find something that might work as well for less money. I appreciate your help

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    you'll need T-bolts & nuts. iirc, (and it's been a while), I think you'll need M6 T-bolts & nuts

code: mtbr2011
    I ordered it from the Thule website using the fit guide so Im sure I ordered everything it recommended.

Im gonna try home depot and see I can find something that might work as well for less money. I appreciate your help
    it should have recommended that you get the xadapters..........

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    agreed. unfortunately "should" and "did" have 2 different meanings.

Ive heard of that t-bolt method. That requires me to drill into the tray right? Not sure I am committed to doing that. I might just buy a sheet of metal at home depot that has the same thickness and width as the piece given to me in the echelon kit. The home depot one is MUCH longer, but I can cut it to size and drill the holes myself. $3.50 fix as long as it works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    agreed. unfortunately "should" and "did" have 2 different meanings.

Ive heard of that t-bolt method. That requires me to drill into the tray right? Not sure I am committed to doing that. I might just buy a sheet of metal at home depot that has the same thickness and width as the piece given to me in the echelon kit. The home depot one is MUCH longer, but I can cut it to size and drill the holes myself. $3.50 fix as long as it works.
    That is what's recommended according to the Xadapt9 kit.

mtbr member
    Can anyone who has gone the drilling route comment? Doesn't the tbolt sticking up through the rear tray interfere with the bike's wheel?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is there an x-adapt to convert the round bar (yakima type) to Thule?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have the echelons on my aero bars with the xadapters. The setup has worked great for me. No problems at all. I'll post pics if you want.