mtbr member
    May 2011

Thule 9003 Raceway Platform

Just brought it home today from the LBS. I want to do a one day road trip this weekend up to Fanshawe Lake. I'll post how it makes out.
    Super excited to get the bike out of town, and on a trail since the bike is only a few days old, and the local trails are nothing to brag about.
    2007 Marin East Peak.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This thing is amazing. Super easy to install and take off. Held the bike solid for my one and a half hr road trip. also loading and unloading the bike was awesome. I don't have very much experience with bike racks, but this one has to be rated as a top notch set up.
    2007 Marin East Peak.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    here are a few pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule 9003 Raceway Platform-photo-11-06-11-4-44-02-pm.jpg  

Thule 9003 Raceway Platform-photo-11-06-11-4-45-56-pm.jpg  

Thule 9003 Raceway Platform-photo-11-06-12-2-38-27-pm.jpg  

2007 Marin East Peak.

bike geek
    Thanks for the review. I am still not sold on this rack, since it contacts the car in so many different places, though I may need to try it anyway since I have not had any luck installing a hitch onto my car.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It definitely rests on the car quit a bit, but the rubber on the trunk rest and the bumper rest have a nice rubber pad. The 4 straps on this rack are also rubber coated. When this is installed on your car/van, it does not move. I don't see it marking anything on the car personally. But that's just my opinion. The top bars that clamp around the bikes top tube are also a rubber compound. I feel very confident that my frame will not take damage from this set up.

Another nice feature was the 2 locks. You can lock it to the car, and you can lock it to the bike.

The car lock makes it so when tighten the straps on your car with the dials, you can't lift the release tabs

The bike locks make it so when tighten the clamp around your top tube you can't spin the dial to loosen it off your bike. You can still spin the dials, it just separates so it won't unthread

Over all I really like it. I don't worry about my bike or rack while driving at all.
    2007 Marin East Peak.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi Morning-star,

I have 2 bikes: a Stumpy FSR Expert 29er and a stumpy Elite 26er

I am wondering how this rack will handle both bikes...
    I estimate the combined weigh of both bikes is approx 58 lbs.
    I also want to make sure that they don't rub against each other.

Did you try to put 2 bikes on your rack ?
    If this rack works I am getting one !

TIA

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I haven't tryied 2 bikes yet. My brother in law and I might head somewhere this weekend. But after looking at how the bike is setup on the rack, I don't see the bikes rubbing. There are separate bars that come down on each bikes top tube. (each lock separately) and the trays that the bike tires rest in are fully adjustable to a very small bike and they pull out farther than what I need for my Marin 26er. I would say the rack could hold a 29er.

They only thing I would want to checkout is pedal placement when loaded on the rack. But the bikes would be solid when loaded, so I don't see anything rubbing or banging around in this area. I'll have to check that out.

When I'm done work, I'll try and get some pics of 2 bikes loaded. And see how it looks.
    2007 Marin East Peak.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have been seriously considering replacing my roof rack with this rear rack. Have a wagon though. Curious how well this installs on wagons?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i just put a second bike on the rack, and it looked great. there wasn't any where that looked like it would rub. I don't think the pedals are an issue due to the bikes being completely secured to the rack. Im sure it would handle you Stumpy FSR Expert 29er and a stumpy Elite 26er pretty easily. The whole weight thing is a pretty non issue do to the fact that the weight is put back towards the bottom pad resting on your bumper.

And in the instruction book there are a ton of vehicles that this thing is suited for. I don't know what wagon you got, but for example, it has the Audi A4 wagon, A6, S4, S6, all kinds of SUV's, and mini vans. Taurus wagon, Accord wagon. Infinitys, Jags,
    kia wagon... im sure you get the point. But there are 8 pages front and back of all the vehicles this works with. It even gives you the recommended dial settings for specific car setup, and fit tips for each car.

The part I really enjoy is that it only took me 5 minutes to back my car in the driveway, install the rack, and load up 2 bikes, and I am not exaggerating this time at all.

here are a few more pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule 9003 Raceway Platform-photo-11-06-14-7-07-02-pm.jpg  

Thule 9003 Raceway Platform-photo-11-06-14-7-07-43-pm.jpg  

Thule 9003 Raceway Platform-photo-11-06-14-7-08-08-pm.jpg  

Thule 9003 Raceway Platform-photo-11-06-14-7-08-31-pm.jpg  

Thule 9003 Raceway Platform-photo-11-06-14-7-09-02-pm.jpg  

2007 Marin East Peak.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks man, really appreciate your positive input.
    I am getting it !
    BTW, where did you get it ?
    Looks like best deals are at around $270 w/ free shipping

I will post some pictures when I have it installed with the bikes on. !

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar View Post
    And in the instruction book there are a ton of vehicles that this thing is suited for. I don't know what wagon you got, but for example, it has the Audi A4 wagon, A6, S4, S6, all kinds of SUV's, and mini vans. Taurus wagon, Accord wagon. Infinitys, Jags, kia wagon... im sure you get the point. But there are 8 pages front and back of all the vehicles this works with. It even gives you the recommended dial settings for specific car setup, and fit tips for each car.
    Hey that's great info, thanks for the continued updates. Can you do me a huge favor and see if the manual lists the 05-09 Subaru Outback wagon as one that it works with? I've been looking at the design of the trunk and I am not 100% sure it will work without the cables that go to the top rubbing too much.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I picked mine up at a local bike shop. They had a guy order it, and then cancelled on them. So he gave it to me for $275.

The guys there have been great to me, so I try and return the favor as much as possible, even if it costs me a few more bucks.

Hope it works for you man. It does for me.
    2007 Marin East Peak.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For the outback wagon, it has 2010-2011 and 2000-2004. The fit tips for the Outback wagon are
    #1 for 2010-2011 place top clips in the gap at the front edge of the top of the trunk, hatch or door
    #2 Place lower clips in the bottom edge of trunk or hatch
    #3 Caution: rear wiper can not be used when carrier is mounted
    #4 Lower arm of carrier should be positioned on upper tier of bumper

They list the exact same "fit tips" for the 2000-2004 models as well.

Here is the number for Thule 888-361-8936. Its in Connecticut. I'd give them a call, it would be weird if they didn't make it for the outback for a couple years, and then make it again.

Hope this helps, and I also tried there website with no luck as well.
    2007 Marin East Peak.

bike geek
    For the outback wagon, it has 2010-2011 and 2000-2004....it would be weird if they didn't make it for the outback for a couple years, and then make it again.
    That's what I was afraid of. Check out the pics below. You'll see what I (and probably Thule) think is the reason the rack won't work well on my generation of Outback. The place where the top cables attach is so far back that once the cables are secured, they won't be able to clear the edge of the spoiler without major rubbing. But I'll call them tomorrow to find out what the story is. Thanks again for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule 9003 Raceway Platform-trunk1.jpg  

Thule 9003 Raceway Platform-trunk2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No problem, good luck.
    2007 Marin East Peak.

bike geek
    For the outback wagon, it has 2010-2011 and 2000-2004.
    I checked out the online fit-guide just now and it does list my generation Outback, so I guess I am in luck. When my LBS was looking online last week, they swear they couldn't see my car listed, but there it is in black and white on page 36 of 39.

http://basilicon.ipapercms.dk/Thule/...F/ViewPDF.ashx