mtbr member

Thule 517 or 518

I hear the higher end 518 Echelon is not higher rated as the 517 Peloton? I want to keep in the Thule fork-mount family, have disc brakes, so any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated! If they have made advances in the 518 recently, i would gladly go that route.

Thanks!!!
    What Hill?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a 517 and I have zero complaints. Not sure what the difference is, I bought it because it was cheap but not so cheap that it was crap. I do not desire more from a fork mount rack.

Although I did recently buy a second rack to mount a bike upright to handle my Surly LHT with fenders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I use 2 of the 598 Critreiums. I think it is a slightly smarter choice with the disc brakes. It also eliminates the consideration of how/where to store a front wheel. I drive a Ford Explorer so the bikes ride pretty high, but I haven't had any adverse effects (other than noise) going down the highway at 70 mph in cross wind or headwind.
    the only downside I know of is the chance of damaging a carbon downtube with the clamp, but it is shaped such that it is unlikely to happen assuming the user isn't an abusive bike owner.
    I fit 2 598's and one Thule Explorer roof box on the thule aero bars attached to the Explorer's factory rack. My car did not include the OEM cross bars, but all the units would also fit those, but since the Thule bars extend a little past the factory rack, i can fit more up there.
    Plus they are all keyed the same.

code: mtbr2011
    even though the 518 echelon is a higher price point, i have always felt the best value is with the 517 peleton.
    sometimes the locking mechanism on the 518 is a lilttle unreliable and the tabs can stick. the die cast head and tension adjuster are nice.

the peleton just works. the technology has been around for a long time, and is proven. it's plastic, but not cheap and is definitely strong.

mtbr member
    i have 518
    517 is steel painted black
    while 518 is aluminum,
    i have absolutely no complaints with my 518, very happy, locking mechanism is excellent