mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thule 516 Prologue roof rack

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these, awesome deal for less than $100. I was hoping someone could tell me how stable this rack is with a 34 lb bike on it with a Fork Up 20 mm axle adapter. Its seems solid but the "budget" MSRP makes me a little apprehensive about putting my bike on it.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nothing? C'mon!
    2011 Yeti 303R DH

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just bought one for my 03 Pontiac Vibe with Thule rack. It holds my Trek 29er pretty solid. I haven't taken it for a ride yet but I'm pretty confident it will hold well. The only thing I don't like is that the tray has no way of locking to the rack. Someone who knows what they're doing could get it off with an allen wrench and the 2 thumb screws. The bike itself can be locked to the tray if you have the lock cylinders which I do. That's a nice feature. I'll keep you posted once it dries up enough around here to take it for a ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
    I just bought one for my 03 Pontiac Vibe with Thule rack. It holds my Trek 29er pretty solid. I haven't taken it for a ride yet but I'm pretty confident it will hold well. The only thing I don't like is that the tray has no way of locking to the rack. Someone who knows what they're doing could get it off with an allen wrench and the 2 thumb screws. The bike itself can be locked to the tray if you have the lock cylinders which I do. That's a nice feature. I'll keep you posted once it dries up enough around here to take it for a ride.
    Definitely a solid rack, I bought one after reading a couple good reviews on line. So far its getting the job done nicely.
    2011 Yeti 303R DH

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've been using mine with a Fork-Up for a Surly Pugsley since December now and so far so good

mtbr member
    BUMP

Any more recent reviews? Some of the stuff I'm reading online says that suspension forks may have an issue?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltdan12a View Post
    BUMP

Any more recent reviews? Some of the stuff I'm reading online says that suspension forks may have an issue?
    After using the Prologue for a few months, it became dangerously unstable. The bolt that holds the head to the front bar kept coming loose and the bike would sway at even the lowest speeds. I returned it and spent an extra $60 on an Echelon rack. The Echelon has a much thicker metal tray and a much better attachment to the bar. Its rock solid at even 80 mph.

DO NOT get the Prologue, its garbage.
    2011 Yeti 303R DH