mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Three Yakima Frontloaders on top of Subaru Outback?

Hello, has anyone successfully carried three bikes on Yakima Frontloaders on top of a Subaru Outback? Ours is a 2008. Right now I have the factory crossbars and two Frontloaders and there's definitely not room for a third bike.

I'm hoping that by getting the rail grabs and Yakima crossbars, that might allow a third Frontloader enough room to squeeze three bikes up there. If that doesn't work, maybe the middle bike could go on a smaller rack, like the ones that require removal of the front wheel? Anyone tried this?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As long as the middle bike faces a different direction than the outer ones I don't see why it should be a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Three Yakima Frontloaders on top of Subaru Outback?-factory-rack-2bike-line.jpg
    Three Yakima Frontloaders on top of Subaru Outback?-railgrab-line.jpg

Thanks, I guess what I'm worried about is the actual usable width of the crossbars. It looks like the railgrabs are better than the OEM crossbars but I don't know if they're wide enough.

You can see in the photos that there is a lot of space between the car's rails that's wasted and that the design of the crossbar mounts forces the Frontloaders to be mounted inboard from the edges of the roof.

EDIT: The first photo is my car, the second is just one I found online.
    Last edited by outback97; 02-16-2013 at 12:43 PM.

I <3 dirt

Three Yakima Frontloaders on top of Subaru Outback?

I'm not sure if the outback factory cross bars are similar construction to the impreza wagon ones but my factory cross bar actually broke and failed because the ends are just plastic.

I was using thule sidearm trays and didnt exceed the 100lb limit rating but I'm guessing the weight being so high had something to do with it.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can put four fork mounts on the top of mine with 48" crossbars. I have two mounts on the outside of the towers and two on the inside, alternating facing front to back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    ...t my factory cross bar actually broke and failed because the ends are just plastic.
    Scary, I hope you didn't lose your bike(s) off the roof! The OEM Outback ones seem like they're fairly well made but I would not trust them with as much weight as the Yakima ones. They do flex a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerTi View Post
    I can put four fork mounts on the top of mine with 48" crossbars. I have two mounts on the outside of the towers and two on the inside, alternating facing front to back.
    Cool, that's good to know. I just picked up a used set of rail grabs and 48" bars this afternoon. Most of the time we just need to carry the two bikes but I may end up getting a fork mount rack or two to put outside the factory rails when we need more capacity.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I had 3 bikes atop the 02 Outback easy using Highroller Yakima trays.

Wouldn't even attempt it on the 13. I have Frontloaders on there and they are not confidence inspiring at all. The trays are so narrow the rear wheel doesnt even sit in it all the way...not to mention the cross bars on the new outbacks are yeah FLEXY.

I did have the road bike and MTB all the way from Centex to Arkansas and back with no problems though.

code: mtbr2011
    2 bike max on factory crossbars.
    mount up some railgrabs or thule 450 crossroads and put 3 bikes up there.