Single(Pivot)and Happy

Swagman XC2 report

I just returned from a 1200 mile California road trip. I purchased the Swagman XC2 specifically for this trip. I paid $107, brand new, delivered to my house.
    The rack arrived one week before my trip. First thing I did was I purchased a 5/8" locking anti- sway pin and a 1/2" locking pin. 5/8" to lock the extension to the receiver, the 1/2" to lock the head to the extension.
    With the rack securely locked and wiggle free, loading my FXR is a piece of cake. I almost purchased the XPORT rack from Performance. I'm glad I didn't. The ratcheting frame hook that holds the bike is SWEEET! Push down on the bike, slide the hook down, the bike is not going anywhere.
    If any of you are in the market for a quality, inexpensive, easy to use rack, I suggest you look at this model.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    May I ask where you bought it from for that price?

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    It was on eBay, I just checked and the company is no longer offering this item. Check around eBay, hopefully you will find one. The first 20 miles, I was checking my mirrors. The bike wasn't wobbling. The rest of the 1180 miles were worry free. Good luck!
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have that same rack, it does work well.Easy to use, solid, no wobble. Like BP, I watched the mirror at first, but no worries.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    It's $100 free shipping on amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-...0289768&sr=8-1

Just ordered one this morning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yep, I got mine there too.

Clyde and then some
    Apr 2008
    Story of my life. Amazon didn't have any when I ordered mine a couple weeks ago. Ended up paying $129 for it.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it. A note those for those with larger (at least taller) bikes. You might need a second long hook instead of the long and short they have. With our bikes (GF Wahoo 17.5 and 21), I had to shift the wheel positions a bit to get enough clearance for the short hook to work. Ended up ordering a second long hook from the mfr to make life a little easier.
    Remember, no matter where you go.... you're not where you were anymore.

Clyde and then some
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    I just returned from a 1200 mile California road trip. I purchased the Swagman XC2 specifically for this trip. I paid $107, brand new, delivered to my house.
    The rack arrived one week before my trip. First thing I did was I purchased a 5/8" locking anti- sway pin and a 1/2" locking pin. 5/8" to lock the extension to the receiver, the 1/2" to lock the head to the extension.
    With the rack securely locked and wiggle free, loading my FXR is a piece of cake. I almost purchased the XPORT rack from Performance. I'm glad I didn't. The ratcheting frame hook that holds the bike is SWEEET! Push down on the bike, slide the hook down, the bike is not going anywhere.
    If any of you are in the market for a quality, inexpensive, easy to use rack, I suggest you look at this model.
    Question for you. Did the XC2 you purchased have the threaded receiver hitch pin? If so, did the standard 5/8" lock fit it ok? I was looking at the pin, and feared the threads might get in the way with a 5/8".

Clyde and then some
    Apr 2008
    Took the first trip with my XC2. I bought a locking reciver pin, that was luckily a sleeve model. Due to the threads, the 5/8 didn't quite fit, but the 1/2 fits pretty well. There's a good chunk of lateral sway (part of that may be from an a-hole in a semi cutting me when I was hauling a loaded uhaul trailer, nearly jacknifed, so it may have torqued my receiver a bit), so I'm definately going to have to get a stablizer for it.

Other than that though, the thing worked like a champ. I did order a second long hook from swagman for my particular bike configuration (Wahoo 17.5 and 21), but was able to position the wheels such that I could work with the long and short. Bikes set in in seconds, and were rock solid during the drive, other than the swaying of the rack. We ended up using some door frame shims just to stiffen it up on the way home, and they didn't budge. I'm pretty happy with the rack.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Moebius,

I purchased an anti-sway 5/8" locking pin for the rack to receiver hole, and a 1/2" locking pin for the rack head to extension bar hole. If you don't use the 1/2" locking pin, someone could slip the rack with bike attached off the receiver extension.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I've got the 4 bike model of this rack. Which locking/anti wobble hitchpin are you guys finding works well with it?

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Hank,

I purchased the anti-wobble 5/8" locking hitch pin at a U-Haul store. The 1/2" locking pin I bought at Home Depot.

Clyde and then some
    Apr 2008
    Moebius,

I purchased an anti-sway 5/8" locking pin for the rack to receiver hole, and a 1/2" locking pin for the rack head to extension bar hole. If you don't use the 1/2" locking pin, someone could slip the rack with bike attached off the receiver extension.
    Do you happen to have the model of the 5/8" pin you ended up with? I've found a standard 5/8" doesn't fit because of the threads. I found one anti-wobble locking pin that has some big spring loaded block that's supposed to go inside the tube. Obviously with the Swagman that's not possible as the tube has a threaded channel through it, but I'm wondering if the threads might work without that part.

Edit: The other part of the question is does the rack you bought have a threaded tube with a threaded 5/8" pin, or is the older model with a standard tube/pin?
    Last edited by Moebius; 05-21-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Standard tube/pin. The holes are not threaded,luckily for me. My rack came with the standard J-bolts with pin that goes through a hole. It wobbled a little, so I purchased the standard 5/8" anti-wobble locking pin. Don't forget to purchase a 1/2" locking pin to install where the vertical part of the rack attaches to the horizontal extension or some punk could pull the regular pin and take your bike and half of your rack!

Clyde and then some
    Apr 2008
    Standard tube/pin. The holes are not threaded,luckily for me. My rack came with the standard J-bolts with pin that goes through a hole. It wobbled a little, so I purchased the standard 5/8" anti-wobble locking pin. Don't forget to purchase a 1/2" locking pin to install where the vertical part of the rack attaches to the horizontal extension or some punk could pull the regular pin and take your bike and half of your rack!
    I'd say you got lucky and got last year's model. They changed the model this year to use a threaded pin, which means a standard 5/8" pin doesn't fit. I contacted Swagman directly and they do at least sell a locking threaded pin for it. Hopefully they don't charge an outrageous price for it.

I'm using a 1/2" locking pin for the moment (also have a 1/2" locking the head to the tube so that part's covered), but it has a good chunk of sway. Honestly, I don't think enough to be a threat, but just in case my brother came up with a simple work around. He had some door frame shims lying around from an old project. We took a couple of them, trimmed them to where they wedge against the vertical tube and stuck them into the receiver. Definately a lo-tech fix, but worked like a charm.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Moebius,

Just drill/ream the threads within the hole and use a standard 5/8" anti-wobble locking hitch pin. U-Haul has these pins for $19.00. Unless Swagman will sell and deliver a anti-wobble locking pin for under $20.00, ream it!

Clyde and then some
    Apr 2008
    Moebius,

Just drill/ream the threads within the hole and use a standard 5/8" anti-wobble locking hitch pin. U-Haul has these pins for $19.00. Unless Swagman will sell and deliver a anti-wobble locking pin for under $20.00, ream it!
    I was considering that approach (trying to find out what Swagman charges now). However, from the look of most antiwobble pins I've seen, just reaming it wouldn't work. The ones I've seen have a springloaded block that you're supposed to put inside the tube, then the pin threads through that. With the new Swagman's having threads, there's a tube inside the reciever tube, so there'd be nowhere you could stick the springloaded block. However, what I'm starting to wonder is if the threads on an anti-wobble pin would fit the threads in the tube as it is now.

Guess I'll wait till I get the price back first...