Single(Pivot)and Happy

Swagman XC or Xport Flatbed

I think I'm going to purchase one of these racks. I've searched the threads and I can't find out if one is able to lock the rack to the hitch, and lock the bikes to the rack. Anyone that has these racks and can answer these questions? Thanks in advance.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The XC requires 2 hitch locks to fully secure it. One secures the rack to the hitch and the other secures half of the rack to the other half. I just thread the 2nd hitch lock through a cable and use the other end of the cable to tie the important things on my bike (wheels, and frame). Then the end of the cable is locked to the rack (it's got sooooo many holes in the metal, just pick one that is convenient).

tk

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    TK,

Thank you for the info. I purchased the XC today. I should be receiving it next week. How do you like your rack?
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Xport doesn't use a standard hitch pin. It is a bolt that will go through your hitch and secure the rack to your vehicle. There is a hitch pin that attaches to the other side, but it is more or less cosmetic. The upside is, this system acts as an anti-sway feature for your rack. The downside is that anytime you want to remove your rack you have to have a wrench or a socket. Of course, so would a thief.

I've looked at both and the Swagman looks to be superior in several ways. Are you buying a two or four bike version? With the Swag you can decide, with the Xport you either have to buy a big version or the small one.

Edit: Never mind. I just saw your post. Good choice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I like the XC. Works good. I did drill a hole through each horizontal bars that the wheel loops attaches to. This is to prevent the loops from flying off the empty rack in case the tightening mechanism ever comes loose while driving. The later designs already fixed this by having a screw on the bottom of each bar that attaches to the plastic end cap. I have an older one, so I just drilled through it. Good luck.

tk