Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,504

    Surbar BRZ aka Scion FRS report

    Ok, this is not your typical bike carrier. But I do run a site called carreview.com and they sent me this car for a week. They gave me the Scion FRS which is a twin of the Subaru BRZ

    I'm on Day 2 and the gas tank is empty. Why? Because it the most fun car I've driven of the last 20 that have arrived. It is the best car that we can afford. $25k - no options needed.

    It is a car that was developed by Subaru and Toyota jointly and their objective was to build a cheap, rear wheel drive sports car that can compete with the Porsche Cayman.

    I've been driving it a ton and it is so fun, fast and capable. It only has 200 hp but it's only 2700 lbs. It will blow away my Mini Cooper S (modified) on any track. It just corners so well.

    Anyway, we're all cyclists so here's the cycling lowdown:
    - 4 seater for kids in the back
    - bike will fit in the back with rear wheel on with rear seats folded down
    - no hitch mount available.
    - roof rack already available
    - 35 mpg or better on the freeway
    - 0-60 in 6.2 seconds
    - $25k, no options required.

    Tons of photos are here:
    Toyota FR-S | Facebook
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surbar BRZ aka Scion FRS report-img_5957.jpg  

    Surbar BRZ aka Scion FRS report-img_5955.jpg  

    Surbar BRZ aka Scion FRS report-photo-8-.jpg  

    Surbar BRZ aka Scion FRS report-img_5936.jpg  

    Surbar BRZ aka Scion FRS report-img_6434.jpg  

    Surbar BRZ aka Scion FRS report-img_6421.jpg  

    Surbar BRZ aka Scion FRS report-img_6443.jpg  

    Surbar BRZ aka Scion FRS report-282620_10150326323270420_582680419_9889621_5009738_n.jpeg  

    Last edited by francois; 09-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.

  2. #2
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,671
    Want !

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,329
    I sell Subarus and I can safely say this is one of the finest driver's cars in a long time. The value for the money is fantastic, even at full MSRP like we've been selling them. Such a ridiculously fun car!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thatdrewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    459
    As a previous owner of an S2000 I'm intrigued by the FR-S/BRZ. I don't need 300 hp or AWD (although the replacement for the S2000 turned out to be an '04 STi). What I really couldn't get over was the bargain basement interior of the STi.

    I've checked out a bunch of youtube videos on the FR-S/BRZ and wonder what your impressions are of the interior. Is it basic and functional or does it feel cheap? The S2000 interior was acceptable and nice to look at, it never screamed econocar cheap like the STi.

    When I saw the BRZ pull straps to release the rear seat backs first thing I thought of cheap but maybe they did it to save weight & cost? I'm sold on everything about the car except for the interior although it seems the car does everything else pretty well for this price point.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: armoredsaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    114
    sharp!
    2012 Trek Fuel EX8 - Matte Black

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,329
    The BRZ's interior is actually pretty nice. The seats and wheel are superb and the switches don't look like the usual Subaru style. A few recognizable pieces from the parts bin but overall its rather classy looking as far as a $27000 car goes.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,329
    Although in reference to the 04 STI interior being cheap, there's a reason it was $30,000 and not $50,000

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,700
    RWD, manual transmission, affordable - perfect!

    I'm glad to see Japanese sporty cars making a comeback. Toyotas and Suby have always been great, but for awhile they were getting boring.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,518
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Although in reference to the 04 STI interior being cheap, there's a reason it was $30,000 and not $50,000
    I had one too. All the money went into the drive train and none was spared for the interior.

  10. #10
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,504
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    As a previous owner of an S2000 I'm intrigued by the FR-S/BRZ. I don't need 300 hp or AWD (although the replacement for the S2000 turned out to be an '04 STi). What I really couldn't get over was the bargain basement interior of the STi.

    I've checked out a bunch of youtube videos on the FR-S/BRZ and wonder what your impressions are of the interior. Is it basic and functional or does it feel cheap? The S2000 interior was acceptable and nice to look at, it never screamed econocar cheap like the STi.

    When I saw the BRZ pull straps to release the rear seat backs first thing I thought of cheap but maybe they did it to save weight & cost? I'm sold on everything about the car except for the interior although it seems the car does everything else pretty well for this price point.
    The interior of the FRS and BRZ (I hear) is very nice. It's basically a Toyota and not the typical Subaru misery. The radio is pretty crappy but it works well enough and better than new STI's.

    The steering wheel has no controls whatsoever and the cruise control is hidden in a nondescript lever. this is a special purpose vehicle and the purpose is to maximize the driving experience. All distractions are minimized.

    Ohm the seats are absolutely incredible.

    Fc
    IPA will save America

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12
    Congrats on the pick up. I really want a FRS as my next car.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    126
    hey francis,

    can you post additional pictures of how the roof racks were attached, especially the Qtowers?

    seems a tight fit, especially since the roof is short and the distance between the bars is limited

    nice looking car nonetheless

    thanks
    biker boy

  13. #13
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,504
    this captures it perfectly. "I flew 24 hours to drive the car for 20 minutes." And he was not even a wee bit disappointed.


  14. #14
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,504

  15. #15
    Wanderer
    Reputation: Toff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    No sunroof option tho. I love me some sunroof.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkirkpatri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,224
    ^ the lack of a sunroof is inline with vehicle's goals - a sporty car. Sunroofs add considerable weight at the top of the car, thereby raising the center of gravity. Not good for a true sports car that could be tracked. Just thought I'd pop that tibbit in. They should offer a sunroof option, though!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    126
    thanks man

    we have a new distributor for yakima here in the P.I. and their products really look good

    it helps to also have a nice car, btw

    ;-)
    biker boy

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thatdrewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    459
    When do you think supply > demand for these cars? I read that allotments of the BRZ to dealers are based on previous WRX/STI sales. Maybe the price being in the mid-20s these will never been discounted much. I believe the IMBA discount does not apply to this model.

  19. #19
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,504
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    ^ the lack of a sunroof is inline with vehicle's goals - a sporty car. Sunroofs add considerable weight at the top of the car, thereby raising the center of gravity. Not good for a true sports car that could be tracked. Just thought I'd pop that tibbit in. They should offer a sunroof option, though!
    This is correct. This car has 'supercar level' Center of Gravity. And it does it while allowing drivers up to 6'4" in height. So that's what happened to the sunroof.

    fc

  20. #20
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,504
    This is the quintessential statement on the Scion FRS / Subaru BRZ / Toyota GT86


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19
    Gorgeous car, good purchase!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,329
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    When do you think supply > demand for these cars? I read that allotments of the BRZ to dealers are based on previous WRX/STI sales. Maybe the price being in the mid-20s these will never been discounted much. I believe the IMBA discount does not apply to this model.
    As far as the Subaru VIP discount thru IMBA, it is always at the dealer's discretion- typically, the store I work for doesn't allow VIP for STI's, but we do on occasion. We have not as of yet with BRZ's. I've sold 5 BRZ's out of the 14 we got, and all were sold at MSRP except for one which was a weird order anomaly where we got a car for stock, that sold at $1,000 over MSRP.

    Honestly, MSRP is not a bad deal at all for this car- there isn't TONS of markup, and people were happily paying a premium to be able to own it ASAP.

    Look at it this way- if I use the 2011,12, and 13 WRX's as examples, we do get cars for stock, but only sometimes- usually, they are presold before they hit the ground. We are currently selling them for $500 off of MSRP, and STI's for $900 off MSRP. Most dealers around here sell WRX's for more than that. We are getting 5 in this month, and 3 are pre-sold, so two will be on the lot for sale, but they will sell quick. Dealers did indeed get their 2013 allocations largely based on how many WRX's they typically sell.

    Until we know how much Subaru increases production for 2014, it's hard to say when there will be BRZ's sitting around on a predictable basis. They may always remain very limited, where you may occasionally see one sitting on a lot but most are factory orders. Hard to say.

    Oh, and the BRZ is nicer than the FRS- it has standard navi, you can get heated seats/mirrors, suspension is a tad more refined (not overly-drifty, but this is good if you are competing with it), you can get suede/leather seats, keyless start, etc. It basically has a few more amenities than the FRS, but still is not loaded up to be piggish.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    58
    The last pic in the set is a Hyundai Genesis Coupe. . I love the BRZ, it may replace my S2000 eventually.

    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Ok, this is not your typical bike carrier. But I do run a site called carreview.com and they sent me this car for a week. They gave me the Scion FRS which is a twin of the Subaru BRZ

    I'm on Day 2 and the gas tank is empty. Why? Because it the most fun car I've driven of the last 20 that have arrived. It is the best car that we can afford. $25k - no options needed.

    It is a car that was developed by Subaru and Toyota jointly and their objective was to build a cheap, rear wheel drive sports car that can compete with the Porsche Cayman.

    I've been driving it a ton and it is so fun, fast and capable. It only has 200 hp but it's only 2700 lbs. It will blow away my Mini Cooper S (modified) on any track. It just corners so well.

    Anyway, we're all cyclists so here's the cycling lowdown:
    - 4 seater for kids in the back
    - bike will fit in the back with rear wheel on with rear seats folded down
    - no hitch mount available.
    - roof rack already available
    - 35 mpg or better on the freeway
    - 0-60 in 6.2 seconds
    - $25k, no options required.

    Tons of photos are here:
    Toyota FR-S | Facebook

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    No sunroof option tho. I love me some sunroof.
    You don't need a sunroof if you get the rumored upcoming convertible. (Cant post a pic because of post count) I like the looks of it.I love seeing these cars drive around. I hope they never get as common as the Camrys and Carrollas.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,370
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It is a car that was developed by Subaru and Toyota jointly
    Hopefully it fares better than Subaru's other joint stepchild venture, aka the Saabaru aka Saab 9-2X wagon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •