Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Subarus, Hondas, Toyotas, etc.

It seems as though so many here drive little imports. Well, for me it is my Chevrolet K2500, and I toss the bike in the bed and go. This is by design. It is simple and fast. No removing wheels, no locks, and the bike can be covered in mud and won't matter in the bed of the truck! Does no one else just toss and go?

Name:  rear small.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  22.4 KB
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, if you happen to require a 2500 for things other than throwing a bike in the bed, cool, but otherwise, maybe its cuz not everyone needs a full size pickup?

Nice truck BTW. Most of my hauling needs suffice with my minivan. Otherwise, when needed, my father in law has a chipped Duramax 3500 DRW LTZ. He uses it to tow for his business. But since its chipped he gets about 17 mpg average so he daily drives it, I could never do that lol
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

CO 2013
    Jun 2013
    FWIW, my little "import" Honda was built in East Liberty, Ohio. My neighbor's Ford was built in Mexico. Adjust your view of the world accordingly.

Also, WeatherTech floor liners. They work wonders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here's a cookie
    Subarus, Hondas, Toyotas, etc.-tumblr_static_chocolate_chip_cookies.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    But since its chipped he gets about 17 mpg average so he daily drives it, I could never do that lol
    Mine is all stock with the emissions stuff so I get about 14-16mpg daily driven on mixed city/highway.
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc8825 View Post
    Mine is all stock with the emissions stuff so I get about 14-16mpg daily driven on mixed city/highway.
    And that is precisely why I don't own a truck. I'd rather spend my money on things other than gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by sandiego View Post
    And that is precisely why I don't own a truck. I'd rather spend my money on things other than gasoline.
    BOTH of my imports get 30mpg or better. Used to have a Jeep that got about 15 combined and it SUCKED for long road trips when we needed the space compared to my Honda. We used it for towing so rarely that I'd have saved money renting a pickup when needed.

I would eventually like to purchase a beater pickup for dirty jobs, but I'd only buy something older, high mileage, with cash, and definitely not for a daily driver. A purchase like that would accompany my longstanding goal of buying acreage. I'd probably even keep it at the property in a pole barn, since that's where it would be used primarily.

mtbr member
    I have a full size truck which is nice but the only reason I have one is because of work, I would not own one just for bikes.

For giggles, it is a chevy and it is made in Canada.

mtbr member extraordinair
    When I had a truck, I did the same thing. However with 2 or more bikes, you will want to fab a way to stand them up.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    I installed a hitch on my car (which gets 39mpg city/40 highway) so I just put the rack on and tighten the pin which threads into the rack with a 19mm socket wrench, put the bikes on and strap them down and I'm gone. Entire process takes about 5 minutes.

Freeway fuel economy does suffer with the bikes on there though. It drops down to the mid 30s.

It's a Toyota, I've had it 6 months and I've put almost 12,000 miles on it already. I will never buy another gas guzzler in my lifetime unless it is a non-daily driver or I live close enough to work that I can ride a bicycle.
    Last edited by sandiego; 09-27-2013 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Diesel. I wouldn't own a gas HD truck.
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I do not own this truck just to haul my bike to and from trails. I use it for a variety of hauling/pulling tasks, off-roading, and my daily driver. I did own a 91 Civic years ago and loved the car, but overall I am a truck guy and will always drive one. I will always have the four wheel drive. My wife has a Mini Cooper S, but I am not allowed to put a bike rack on it, so that is moot. Even so, the Cooper with its modifications only gets about 23 mpg on a good day.
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not everyone wants or needs such a huge truck. My Tacoma is the same size as full size domestic pick-ups were in the 70's and early 80's. I can still tow 6000+ pounds, park it in a normal sized garage and get 21 mpg combined without much problem. The Big 3 has abandoned many truck drivers by not providing suitable mid or small size trucks, so F-them, I went to one of two available (Frontier being the other). I drove and early 80's F150 for years, and a Ranger for quite some time, but when that dies, there was no replacement. Ford won't even bring in the S. American Ranger (cool looking, good size and diesel available) here because it will draw sales from the morbidly obese F150, while Chevy keeps showing off the Impala-with-a-bed Colorado fugly thing they plan on releasing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My truck is hardly huge. It is a regular cab, floor-shift 4wd, with an 8-foot bed. The only smaller setup would be a 6-foot bed, but in order to get that one would have to drop to a half-ton. I agree that a compact pickup should be offered, but seeing as the full size trucks can get the same fuel mileage, there is no financial justification. I don't know why someone would really even want a compact pickup anyway, but to each his own. I don't really care for the planned new Colorado, but the last Colorado was the best looking compact pickup. As far as towing/mpg, with the Duramax in my truck with emissions removal and a non-power adding ECU tune, I could get 26-29 combined mpg with little problem and still have the ability to tow 15K. I would never buy a Toyota or Nissan truck, but again to each his own.
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black

Elitest thrill junkie
    Are you a short guy by chance?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Nope.
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black

mtbr member
    2013 LTZ 2500 Crewcab. I figure I can drive to the remote trailhead in style.

Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

ballbuster
    I get close to double that mileage from my German imports, get way better handling, acceleration and speed, and just pull a trailer when I need to haul anything bigger. In theory, I can haul half a ton in the trailer. In reality, I would not want to make a habit of it because of the limitation of brakes and freeway speed, but could do it in a pinch. I even went light offroad the other day for work, up a washed out fireroad that would have made any FWD compact car, or RWD live axle car spin it's wheels. Quattro rules.

It takes me less than a minute to install my 1Up rack and less than another minute to put a bike on it. For the twice a year I go camping, I gotta deal with roof racks and a roof box, but I can live with that. I still have two kids who have to ride in rocket chairs, so they stay in the back seat most of the time. I paid cash for it back in the day, and it's been pretty dang reliable. I just rolled it over to 182k miles and it's still going strong.

Nice truck, tho. I can see why folks buy trucks, but they aren't my bag. I use the daily driver/commuter end of things 99% of the time, and the truck end of things 1% of the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I can see why folks buy trucks, but they aren't my bag. I use the daily driver/commuter end of things 99% of the time, and the truck end of things 1% of the time.
    That's just it. 99% of the time it is just me driving to and from work and I drive over 60 miles 5 days a week just commuting. That's 15,000 miles a year... just commuting. I'd have to be a complete idiot to buy a gas guzzling truck for that.

I own a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE, it has leather, nav, bluetooth, power moonroof and all the bells and whistles and it gets 40mpg city. I've owned it 6 months and have put almost 11,000 miles on it already. My wife owns a Lexus IS250 so I guess you could say we are Toyota people although I have owned a Subaru, a Nissan, a couple Fords, another Toyota and a SAAB. My wife has owned a couple BMWs, a VW, a Ford and the Lexus she has now. We will probably buy her another Lexus but a larger one, leaning toward the GS350.

I owned a truck once, a Toyota, and it was a good truck but once my son was born the truck went bye bye. It was just too difficult getting him in and out of it and the fuel economy was abysmal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I "toss and go" like you mentioned in my 2006 Dodge Ram. I bought a truck because I needed a vehicle with room for my family of 4, needed capacity to haul lumber, drywall and other needs for my home, pull a trailer on occasion, and I only drive 4,000 miles a year on average so gas money doesn't hurt me too bad. If I had to drive a lot more miles I would probably buy another station wagon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I used to with my ford escape. Even with the 29" wheels, I didn't have to remove anything when the rear seats were folded.

Now that a kid is on the way, I got a roof rack though so the car seat can remain in place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerth View Post
    2013 LTZ 2500 Crewcab. I figure I can drive to the remote trailhead in style.

Exactly! Although the 2014 HDs are even better looking!
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc8825 View Post
    Exactly! Although the 2014 HDs are even better looking!
    Only on the outside! Lol the new interiors look like they were designed by a 14 year old video gamer on crank! That's why I bought the 13
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well mine is old '07 but the interior is the same up thru MY 2013, and it is okay. (Now I have the basic interior with the pickup dash and if you have the LTZ, you have the SUV dash that is different) I like the interior of the 2014s, but in basic form as I don't like all the silver on the upper trim levels, not to mention I only get crank windows and floor-shift 4wd, so I stick with the WT trim.
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black

Always in the wrong gear
    I have been a truck guy since i started driving at 15, (25 now). But I'm actually looking forward to a 4door car as my next purchase. I still of course would never own a vehicle without 4x4 or AWD. Subaru is the only company that provides that in my eyes. Hence I've decided to look into a WRX, particularly a hatchback. Plenty of room for camping gear, better MPG, and some minor off road capabilities (as much as I would need).

I side w/ the OP on Nissans. I've owned two, 1988 Hardbody P/U and 2001 Frontier. I actually prefered the '88 because it had hardly any miles, sadly it was made of cheap plastic and had been in AZ far too long. The latter was just a next step since I still had need for a truck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast