Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    keepin' it rural

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Subaru XV Crosstrek | The New 2013 XV Crosstrek

Looks like a interesting option for a good outdoor/bike hauler that gets pretty good gas mileage. Been looking for a decent car/suv to supplement my full size truck for when i dont need the space and 4WD.

I have never owned a Subaru, so i would be curious to see what you guys who are familiar with them have to say. I have a call into the local dealer to email me when they get one in so i can go down and have a look and a test drive.

The pre-reviews seem to be fairly good except that most are saying its a little under powered at 148 HP.

My wife and I are interested in one of these to replace her Jeep Liberty.

I have put out some e-mails to multiple dealers asking questions (and hoping upon hoping that if enough people ask for the diesel version, that Subaru will bring it to the US in that car), and one of them has had the chance to test drive one. It's basically a lifted version of the Impreza 5dr. That dealer got to test drive one and he sent me some side-by-side pics.

He says that the suspension on the XV is surprisingly tight given the ground clearance and says that it feels much quieter than the Impreza.

I'd want to climb in one and see what it feels like before deciding 100%. I drive an 07 Fit Sport with a much less powerful engine, and it feels spritely enough for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subaru XV Crosstrek-xv2.jpg  

Subaru XV Crosstrek-xv3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So it's the "new" Impreza Outback model?

keepin' it rural
    basically, from what i gather it is a lifted Impreza with a new body.

mtbr member
    Meh. Needs more engine.

Why pack 500 lbs of performance enhancing mechanical equipment onto a base model Impreza without improving its heart and muscle?
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I have a Subaru Outback and on the forums the biggest gripe with the XV seems to be the engine power or lack thereof. However it all depends on what you need the car for and what you expect it to do for you. A test drive will reveal all and should help the OP in making a final decision.
    Quality wise my Subaru has been very good and the resale value in general is among the highest.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Off the back...
    For the $25k MSRP I'd buy a [used] 2011 Impreza with some factory warranty on it, throw in a new stereo, put on a hitch and rack, buy new tires and wheels and put the remaining $6k toward a new bike or two... Or buy a used WRX hatch.

If I absolutely had to go new, I'd still get a regular Impreza hatch over the Crosstek. I can't see how the extra 3" clearance is going to help unless you are on some seriously rough back roads all the time, in which case a lifted truck might be a better option.

Full disclosure; I own a 2002 WRX wagon and a 2010 STI hatch. I have beat the living **** out of the WRX, and it won't die. Gravel roads, snowbanks, potholes, ditches, airtime, sorta-accidental drifting - it comes back for more. The parts I have worn out are generally replaceable by your average backyard mechanic - struts, spark plugs, tires, light bulbs...

The downsides - the interiors are pretty cheap, and they develop rattles after a year or two. Since it's AWD, you need to be smoother with the clutch [obviously, this is not a factor with CVT and auto transmissions]. Dealer parts are very expensive compared to aftermarket and performance bits. The paint is thin and chips easily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I own a 2011 STi hatch and pinkrobe is dead on on the description. I have owned Fords my entire life and took a chance on the STi and absolutely love it. I had a 2011 Mustang GT that was almost fully loaded and sold it for the STi (biking reasons mostly) and I don't regret it at all. Even the Mustang had a nicer interior than the STi but that's not something that really bothers me. I believe I read somewhere that Subaru really doesn't warranty rattle noises because they are bound to happen (especially on an STi). But I absolutely love this car. I bought the extended warranty and was really impressed by it. I will drive this car until it dies and then replace it with another Subaru most likely. The Subie already has a few paint chips. I cannot wait until it snows. My husband hated my 2003 and my 2011 Mustang GTs but absolutely loves the STi and wants to get either a WRX or maybe an Outback. He also decided against the Crosstrek because of the lack of power.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mfisher1971 View Post
    Meh. Needs more engine.

Why pack 500 lbs of performance enhancing mechanical equipment onto a base model Impreza without improving its heart and muscle?
    At $22k you're not going to get much more power. Put a WRX motor in that thing and its a different story, but then the price will jump to $28k.

Either way, I like it.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by csledd281 View Post
    I own a 2011 STi hatch and pinkrobe is dead on on the description. I have owned Fords my entire life and took a chance on the STi and absolutely love it. I had a 2011 Mustang GT that was almost fully loaded and sold it for the STi (biking reasons mostly) and I don't regret it at all. Even the Mustang had a nicer interior than the STi but that's not something that really bothers me. I believe I read somewhere that Subaru really doesn't warranty rattle noises because they are bound to happen (especially on an STi). But I absolutely love this car. I bought the extended warranty and was really impressed by it. I will drive this car until it dies and then replace it with another Subaru most likely. The Subie already has a few paint chips. I cannot wait until it snows. My husband hated my 2003 and my 2011 Mustang GTs but absolutely loves the STi and wants to get either a WRX or maybe an Outback. He also decided against the Crosstrek because of the lack of power.
    I am considering getting a Subaru in the future, but it would be my first non GMC/Chevy vehicle. Glad to see you are happy with the Subaru after several fords.
    In my opinion, Subaru has cars that fill a void in the american car makers lineup, a smaller car that is capable in inclement weather, gets good MPG, and roomy enough to haul alot of different things.
    The Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain, and Ford Escape all lack that Roominess, Superior AWD System, and Rugged Utility grade exterior. Plus they all cost more than a Forester or Outback!

As for the XV, i like the raised stance, but the wheels are terrible looking......if it had the wheels swapped from the other impreza in the pic it would look alot better.
    2009 Trek Fuel EX8 Black/White

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The wife and I are eyeing the XV to replace our 07 Impreza 2.5i wagon when the time comes. Why? Power is plenty enough for us, at 31 I'm way past racing around. Hell, I hardly even drive anywhere unless its to/from the trail or other biking event.

That said, when we go camping or to the in-laws, there normally is some off-roading involved. No where near enough to justify buying a gus-guzzling truck, but enough that the extra ground clearance would be a blessing.

I've scrapped enough stuff with our current wagon, had to bend and re-attach muffler shields, broke clips on the front under-guard, etc. Not to mention the saggy-butt issues, especially when loaded.

A truck would be overkill, but the XV pretty much hits the nail on the head. Sure, I could always throw some Forester struts under the current car, which we've considered, but getting a new ride, with everything covered by warranty seems like a darn good idea.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    The wife and I are eyeing the XV to replace our 07 Impreza 2.5i wagon when the time comes. Why? Power is plenty enough for us, at 31 I'm way past racing around. Hell, I hardly even drive anywhere unless its to/from the trail or other biking event.

That said, when we go camping or to the in-laws, there normally is some off-roading involved. No where near enough to justify buying a gus-guzzling truck, but enough that the extra ground clearance would be a blessing.

I've scrapped enough stuff with our current wagon, had to bend and re-attach muffler shields, broke clips on the front under-guard, etc. Not to mention the saggy-butt issues, especially when loaded.

A truck would be overkill, but the XV pretty much hits the nail on the head. Sure, I could always throw some Forester struts under the current car, which we've considered, but getting a new ride, with everything covered by warranty seems like a darn good idea.

I agree with this statement. At 33mpg hwy, this is more like an economy car than a zippy sports car, which is what the STi's and WRX's are. I compared curb weight and torque of the XV with my current Honda Fit and my wife's liberty. The XV is comparable (in fact, the ratio is nearly identical) to the Honda. Similar mpg, so I'm not surprised. Of course, the Jeep has more torque relative to vehicle weight, but that's to be expected from a vehicle rated to tow as much as the Jeep. On paper, it looks like the XV will be fine. All I ask is for some extra ground clearance for rough roads and snow.

ballbuster
    I think Subie may have a winner here. Not many AWD Crossovers are available with a stick, not to mention, are rated at 33mpg and $22k list price. I would check one out.

And, it doesn't look like it was beaten with Subaru's ugly stick too much. Although, those rims are pretty gash.

I can live with the meh 0-60 times as long as it corners okay. My Avant is rated at 150hp with good torque numbers, and weighs 200 pounds more than the Subie. It has plenty of pickup for my tastes.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-09-2012 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I own a 2011 outback sport and love it! Enough ground clearance for most.
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I think Subie may have a winner here. Not many AWD Crossovers are available with a stick, not to mention, are rated at 33mpg and $22k list price. I would check one out.

And, it doesn't look like it was beaten with Subaru's ugly stick too much. Although, those rims are pretty gash.

I can live with the meh 0-60 times as long as it corners okay. My Avant is rated at 150hp with good torque numbers, and weighs 200 pounds more than the Subie. It has plenty of pickup for my tastes.
    FWIW, the MT is not rated at 33mpg. The CVT is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I would not buy a first model year car. Too many problems. Plus, Subie's are known for head gasket issues.

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
    I would not buy a first model year car. Too many problems. Plus, Subie's are known for head gasket issues.
    The head gasket issues have been resolved since the Gen 3 Outbacks. It was a mostly 1997-2003 model year issue on the 2.5 motor. The new Subaru's no longer have that problem and in some cases SOA has helped pay for their replacement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I own Subaru Outback 2006 with 44,000 miles but will not be getting another one. I just had a misfire (both coils died etc.) last week but luckily I bought an extended warranty and my friend works at my Subaru. It is a bit of an overkill for me anyway. I will be getting a small, peppy car such as Honda Civic Si. I still do not know why I bought a big car in the first place since I am a European living in the US. It must have been peer pressure.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

... and if we just ...

As a fellow European, I say YOU should be the peer!!
    Too bad the coils went out, but don't think Honda's don't have issues either....YMMV

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Um, it's an Impreza with a different suspension and a slightly larger gas tank. Hardly think that's a first model year car.

Plus it's rather premature to speculate on head gasket issues with the FB series since it's only been out a year or two. I sell them so I see bad head gaskets almost every day, but only really up to 03-04. Occasionally an 05?

The HP of this car is perfectly fine, if you are comparing it to things like the Civic, Corolla, Focus, etc... consider that it went down from 170 to 148 when the Impreza was redesigned for 2012, yet the new generation is faster than the older gen (a lot of that has to do with the CVT though).

If one wants more power, that's what a WRX is for.

Anyways, back to the OP, using my dealer as an example, we are getting 10-11 for 2013, and all will likely be pre-sold special orders- we aren't anticipating any will come in for stock like to sit on the lot and for test drives and such. Typical procedure is I build a car for a customer to their liking, take a deposit, and when it shows up (earliest are coming in December), customer drives it, and if they don't like it, they get their deposit back instantly. I suspect there will be cars on the lot in the second year, though. People seem puzzled by that, but this car is a sub-model of the Impreza which is already in a demand-exceeds-supply situation.

As far as handling, I have not driven one, but my Subaru corporate trainer who has been driving one says that it handles "98% like a normal Impreza", which would make sense. I wouldn't expect much of a difference in handling from the suspension except for if you're really pushing the car, but perhaps a noticeable difference in tires- the XV will be running some variant of a Yoko Geolandar. Methinks it might actually be same as what is on Forester Premiums and Limiteds, but I didn't get a chance to verify this the other day when the XV was on display at our store, and it's gone now.

Honestly, if it were me I would just get a normal Impreza Sport Premium or Limited- maybe put some body spacers on from Subtle to raise it a bit if I needed to, but I personally don't live somewhere where I would need the raised suspension of the XV.

Oh, and for goodness sake, don't get a 2011 Impreza, the 2012+ is SO much better it's ridiculous. The only way that it would be more cost effective to get a 2008-11 is if you went for an 08-10, the depreciation there would maybe pose a good argument. But then you also get 30% worse fuel economy, and an uglier car, but that's my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This would actually be a second year car. It's just a regular impreza with a lift kit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oh, and not to be nit-picky, but there was an XV variant in europe for 2012, so all the changes made to the XV from the 2012 Impreza have already been in production for a year before coming to the US/Canada

keepin' it rural
    good info, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Um, it's an Impreza with a different suspension and a slightly larger gas tank. Hardly think that's a first model year car.

Plus it's rather premature to speculate on head gasket issues with the FB series since it's only been out a year or two. I sell them so I see bad head gaskets almost every day, but only really up to 03-04. Occasionally an 05?

The HP of this car is perfectly fine, if you are comparing it to things like the Civic, Corolla, Focus, etc... consider that it went down from 170 to 148 when the Impreza was redesigned for 2012, yet the new generation is faster than the older gen (a lot of that has to do with the CVT though).

If one wants more power, that's what a WRX is for.

Anyways, back to the OP, using my dealer as an example, we are getting 10-11 for 2013, and all will likely be pre-sold special orders- we aren't anticipating any will come in for stock like to sit on the lot and for test drives and such. Typical procedure is I build a car for a customer to their liking, take a deposit, and when it shows up (earliest are coming in December), customer drives it, and if they don't like it, they get their deposit back instantly. I suspect there will be cars on the lot in the second year, though. People seem puzzled by that, but this car is a sub-model of the Impreza which is already in a demand-exceeds-supply situation.

As far as handling, I have not driven one, but my Subaru corporate trainer who has been driving one says that it handles "98% like a normal Impreza", which would make sense. I wouldn't expect much of a difference in handling from the suspension except for if you're really pushing the car, but perhaps a noticeable difference in tires- the XV will be running some variant of a Yoko Geolandar. Methinks it might actually be same as what is on Forester Premiums and Limiteds, but I didn't get a chance to verify this the other day when the XV was on display at our store, and it's gone now.

Honestly, if it were me I would just get a normal Impreza Sport Premium or Limited- maybe put some body spacers on from Subtle to raise it a bit if I needed to, but I personally don't live somewhere where I would need the raised suspension of the XV.

Oh, and for goodness sake, don't get a 2011 Impreza, the 2012+ is SO much better it's ridiculous. The only way that it would be more cost effective to get a 2008-11 is if you went for an 08-10, the depreciation there would maybe pose a good argument. But then you also get 30% worse fuel economy, and an uglier car, but that's my opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    As a fellow European, I say YOU should be the peer!!
    Too bad the coils went out, but don't think Honda's don't have issues either....YMMV
    Hehe, I am sure they have problems. After 8 years without a stick shift I cannot do it anymore. I need a stick. How is Florida treating you? Are you surviving? I am in NY.

Let my apply a small analogy to cars. Subaru AWD being a full suspension 29er and Honda Civic Si Coupe would be a rigid 29er with semi slick tires. The latter suits me better.

On the side note, I think Subaru is really out of touch design wise. It really saddens me.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    Hehe, I am sure they have problems. After 8 years without a stick shift I cannot do it anymore. I need a stick. How is Florida treating you? Are you surviving? I am in NY.

Let my apply a small analogy to cars. Subaru AWD being a full suspension 29er and Honda Civic Si Coupe would be a rigid 29er with semi slick tires. The latter suits me better.

On the side note, I think Subaru is really out of touch design wise. It really saddens me.
    Florida is ok but the summers suck as in too humid and too hot, however, I keep riding. I like our winters though..

Subaru has gone too mainstream IMHO as well. I like my mom's '07 OB better than mine even though mine is bigger on the inside and quieter too. Quality wise they are both good.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast