Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    The diesel doesn't necessarily have worse performance than the gas. The VW Sportwagen is available with the TDI or 5-cyl. The TDI has way more torque which results in a much sportier feeling ride. I think the Golf is available with the 2.0T, which yes, would be 'faster', but not necessarily better 'performing' which is a very subjective measurement.

I bought a TDI Sportwagen for three main reasons, A) it's nice not having to fill up as often B) better 'performance' than the 5-cyl and C) resale, which you don't account for in your math. I still think the life cycle cost of a diesel vs gas is a wash though since a diesel is typically more expensive to maintain and IF (fingers crossed) you have a problem, it's BIG $$$.
    Totally agree performance is very subjective. I should have said the gas is quicker (as in 0-60 in less time). Also you're right about me missing the resale.

One of the big reasons a lot of car companies don't just bring their Euro diesel to the US is cause of the tighter emissions in the US. It needs a lot more investment and I guess the majority of companies don't think it's worth it.\

EDIT: Just looked at the VW website and it has performance defined as 0-60 - 8 on gas 9.1 on TDi

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post
    Totally agree performance is very subjective. I should have said the gas is quicker (as in 0-60 in less time). Also you're right about me missing the resale.

One of the big reasons a lot of car companies don't just bring their Euro diesel to the US is cause of the tighter emissions in the US. It needs a lot more investment and I guess the majority of companies don't think it's worth it.\

EDIT: Just looked at the VW website and it has performance defined as 0-60 - 8 on gas 9.1 on TDi
    Never actually looking myself, it does surprise me the diesel is slower 0-60 since it has so much torque.

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    Never actually looking myself, it does surprise me the diesel is slower 0-60 since it has so much torque.
    That only matters initially. If the engine can maintain the power curve for longer then it will end up being faster, even if it may not feel like it is.

mtbr member

Subaru XV Crosstrek

What I want to know is when somebody is going to get off their rump and make a diesel electric hybrid.

Elitest thrill junkie
    A diesel hybrid doesn't really work, while I won't say it's impossible, it's not very practical. A diesel engine does NOT lend itself well to starting and stopping. The engine must be kept hot for combustion to occur. There are no spark plugs, rather it uses compression to ignite the fuel, but if the engine has been shut down for a while, it uses "glowplugs" to help reach that temperature where it would ignite the mixture and they suck a lot of energy, but again, if it's not really at that operating temperature, it's not working very efficiently. Gas engines on the other hand, if you just "look" at gas vapors wrong they explode! Very small displacement diesel engines are also difficult to engineer due to heat dissipation. They have to be hot enough to do the above, but not so hot that they melt or break down. They often need turbos to help aid that compression (more heat!), so when you look at the materials and engineering involved, it ends up not being worth it. Remember that diesel is more "dense" than gasoline and less of it comes out of a barrel of oil. It's not some magic solution to anything, if more people are using diesel then there's gobs of gasoline that's not being used and the price for the gas will drop. I'd love a 335d, but there are many reasons you don't see hybrid diesels.
    Last edited by Jayem; 03-30-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

since 4/10/2009

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Maybe you should talk to the folks who build diesel electric locomotives.

That type of system works a bit differently than you described above...namely there is no start/stop. The diesel engine runs constantly producing electricity for propulsion

Yes, the size/heat issues you mention are still there but those are not insurmountable problems

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Maybe you should talk to the folks who build diesel electric locomotives.

That type of system works a bit differently than you described above...namely there is no start/stop. The diesel engine runs constantly producing electricity for propulsion

Yes, the size/heat issues you mention are still there but those are not insurmountable problems
    Haha, the diesel electric locomotive is exactly why it's not a good fit for a car. The diesel electric uses a massive diesel engine with banks of cylinders and such, and then it uses the electric motor to step up the power to what will get a locomotive and all of it's incredible weight, moving. The diesel engine here basically doesn't stop and start at all, it turns on and the train goes. The electric motor also makes up for the fact that there's no "transmission" to select gears, so again, it can deal with the massive weight at low and higher speeds. Cars have no such problems, as internal combustion engines are well suited for the weight of cars and what has to be moved. The type of diesel engine that would actually supply the necessary power to move the car at highways speeds would be very small, maybe 100hp or so, requiring something like 1.5L at the most and a turbocharger, but even if the materials and engineering can overcome the heat issues, there's the issue of cool-down when it's not in use and restarting. Just like many new cars, there's no reason to run the engine while the car is stopped in traffic, so the engine would have to shut down if it's really going to save gas, but diesel can't instantly start back up, it's got to warm and that sucks a lot of energy from the battery to heat up the glowplugs, energy that has to be replaced by the engine.

I mean, yeah, all sorts of boats are diesel-electric too. These aren't hybrids though with batteries intended to power them at various speeds and then the engine kick on when the correct operating speed is reached. The operating principle is vastly different.

In the car world, a "hybrid" is one that uses a battery and electric motor, in conjunction with a gas motor. Energy is recovered (but some are plug in too) from braking and the engine usually kicks in at higher speeds. Depending on the capability of the hybrid, this may be at 10mph or 50mph, but the idea is the same and it's that initial movement that is very inefficient for a regular combustion engined-car. These cars can also combine the electric and combustion drives for a "total horsepower" figure. Very different from a diesel-electric drivetrain.

Again, are these insurmountable problems? Probably not. But impractical to design and build? Yep. I don't see any benefit here.
    Last edited by Jayem; 03-30-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Note that there are different types of hybrids, some start and stop the engine and some don't. Using a small diesel engine that runs continuously with an electric motor providing added power for acceleration and regenerative braking would probably be the way to do it. You get the efficiency of the diesel cycle with a low displacement, but you have the power to accelerate when needed. Diesels consume very little fuel at idle so you wouldn't see a big mpg gain by shutting the engine off at stoplights.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerTi View Post
    Note that there are different types of hybrids, some start and stop the engine and some don't. Using a small diesel engine that runs continuously with an electric motor providing added power for acceleration and regenerative braking would probably be the way to do it. You get the efficiency of the diesel cycle with a low displacement, but you have the power to accelerate when needed. Diesels consume very little fuel at idle so you wouldn't see a big mpg gain by shutting the engine off at stoplights.
    But those places are where the efficiency would be improved significantly. I'm not sure if regaining the brake energy is going to do much by itself when you're adding all the weight associated with the hardware (battery, motor, etc) of an electric drivetrain at the same time. Gas used while at a stop is wasted, gas used in between/while shifting is also wasted. Even gas engines don't use "very much fuel" while idling, but that's the point, that's where we are making gains. If it can't make up in these areas, you might as well just have a 2.0 turbodiesel with no "hybrid" drivetrain, it'll be significantly lighter. Now, if the hybrid has a battery and actually tries to act like a hybrid, then we'd see better mileage and the benefits of a hybrid diesel system.

I'd think being able to skip a few shifts/have the engine kick on after a decent amount of speed has been reached and stopping when it's no longer needed would get good gains, otherwise I'd think the benefits would be too marginal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The increase in MPG is due to being able to run a smaller engine. As you know on level ground at highway speeds the amount of power required to keep the vehicle moving is significantly lower than the power required to get said vehicle up to highway speed. So you size your diesel engine to have enough power for highway speeds with a moderate incline and then you supplement that with an electric motor when required for acceleration/grades. With a CVT there is no shifting, and diesels use quite a bit less fuel while idling than their gasoline counterparts. Though if you wanted to incorporate a "stop/start" feature that could be done, the ECM would just make sure the engine is up to operating temperature first. This approach would be optimized for "highway" driving, while the hybrid system you're talking about would be optimized for "city" driving.

Another alternative would be to run the diesel engine at it's peak efficiency RPM attached to a generator and use wheel motors. Bypass the transmission entirely. There are of course many other options.

What we really need are batteries that charge in seconds while weighing nearly nothing and storing enough energy to give a 1000 mile range, all while being smaller than a space saver spare tire... Or the technology to use ALL of the energy from burning fuel to move a vehicle.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerTi View Post
    What we really need are batteries that charge in seconds while weighing nearly nothing and storing enough energy to give a 1000 mile range, all while being smaller than a space saver spare tire... Or the technology to use ALL of the energy from burning fuel to move a vehicle.
    hehe, the energy density is what scares me and at the same time it's what's needed. We haven't had too many terrible battery accidents yet, but I wonder what will happen when we reach that kind of energy density, such as what will happen in a crash or due to a manufacturing flaw (think boeing, but many times worse).

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    hehe, the energy density is what scares me and at the same time it's what's needed. We haven't had too many terrible battery accidents yet, but I wonder what will happen when we reach that kind of energy density, such as what will happen in a crash or due to a manufacturing flaw (think boeing, but many times worse).
    That really depends on what the ignition trigger point or energy release is. In theory just because the battery has extreme density doesn't mean that it will be highly reactive under normal atmospheric conditions in an accident. NiMH batteries are not, and they were, and still are used in some hybrid cars. However, lithium batteries on the other hand, are extremely reactive, due to the component qualities of lithium and it's natural reactivity in a high energy state, especially if it comes in contact with other lithium cells. As it stands now, the worst that could happen is a small, but very hot, self contained fire, as these batteries can't really explode. Who knows what future batteries will do however.

Smarter Than He Looks
    What do you good folks think about the Crosstrek interiors (leather vs cloth)? We've got the tan leather in our '11 Outback and it's really nice. Does the Crosstrek use the same material?
    Another concern is that the exterior colors I'm considering all come with dark interiors, and I'm worried that black leather would be blistering hot in the summer.
    Option-wise, I don't need the Limited; I'm not a fan of the Outbacks nav/bluetooth, but have grown pretty fond of the heated seats.

Wanderer
    Anyone got any pics of their bike inside the hatch? Are two bikes in the hatch possible without loading them on top of each other?

All I see are pics of bikes hanging out back or on top.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    Anyone got any pics of their bike inside the hatch? Are two bikes in the hatch possible without loading them on top of each other?

All I see are pics of bikes hanging out back or on top.
    I have a L Stumpjumper FSR 29er and it won't stand up even if I slam the seatpost with the front wheel off. It will fit if I lay it down with front wheel off.

since 4/10/2009

Subaru XV Crosstrek

My XV has an anticipated delivery in May still. When it arrives I will be able to check interior bike carrying with my M FSR (26) and my wife's S Rockhopper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    What do you good folks think about the Crosstrek interiors (leather vs cloth)? We've got the tan leather in our '11 Outback and it's really nice. Does the Crosstrek use the same material?
    Another concern is that the exterior colors I'm considering all come with dark interiors, and I'm worried that black leather would be blistering hot in the summer.
    Option-wise, I don't need the Limited; I'm not a fan of the Outbacks nav/bluetooth, but have grown pretty fond of the heated seats.
    through my research, they all come with heated seats(cloth or leather)

Your Best Friend
    The interior isn't that big. I don't think I'd get my XL 29er in there without taking off the front wheel and putting two bikes in there would just cause damage.

As far as leather quality, it's as nice or nicer than the leather I had in a couple Fords and 3 Dodges. Not complaints. It is black though and yes, it gets hot.

Get the limited but without the Nav. I have used the Nav in other Subaru's and all the reviews say it isn't worth it, I agree. I'll use my smartphone or install a good aftermarket one when/if I need to.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    You can't get Nav or leather optioned with the manual, automatically disqualifying both options from my purchase decision. I'd rather have a proper transmission than leather any day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    You can't get Nav or leather optioned with the manual, automatically disqualifying both options from my purchase decision. I'd rather have a proper transmission than leather any day.
    It totally sucks that you can't get a good set of options with a manual. Automatic blows. I have a Manual Honda Civic and an Automatic Tacoma. Each car makes the other one more fun to drive. The Civic is more fun because the Taco is an automatic. The tacoma is more fun because it's waaay faster than the civic and it can off road like the civic only dreams of ( the civic is oddly capable off road, you just need to keep the momentum up).
    I like to ride bikes.

A Baker St. Muse
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    It totally sucks that you can't get a good set of options with a manual. Automatic blows. I have a Manual Honda Civic and an Automatic Tacoma. Each car makes the other one more fun to drive. The Civic is more fun because the Taco is an automatic. The tacoma is more fun because it's waaay faster than the civic and it can off road like the civic only dreams of ( the civic is oddly capable off road, you just need to keep the momentum up).
    Yeah, I've found this to be really limiting in my own car choices lately as well - I won't own an auto either. And my girlfriend bough her Crosstrek specifically because it's the only thing in its class and price range which actually comes with a manual *and* AWD.

Also, I've driven both the automatic and the manual Crosstrek - while I'm rather spoiled as far as power goes, and I know it's all subjective, the manual absolutely feels more powerful and fun to drive. And I'm the type who feels there's more to driving than just transportation

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by michael573114 View Post
    Yeah, I've found this to be really limiting in my own car choices lately as well - I won't own an auto either. And my girlfriend bough her Crosstrek specifically because it's the only thing in its class and price range which actually comes with a manual *and* AWD.

Also, I've driven both the automatic and the manual Crosstrek - while I'm rather spoiled as far as power goes, and I know it's all subjective, the manual absolutely feels more powerful and fun to drive. And I'm the type who feels there's more to driving than just transportation
    You guys speak my language!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Down with autos!

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Down with autos!
    And down with power windows, too! I just feel like I'm more in control when I can crank them up myself; I can decide how fast or slow I want to go, I don't need a stupid machine doing it for me! ;-)

I <3 dirt

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Down with autos!
    Werd

I literally feel like I'm falling asleep driving an auto.

Your Best Friend
    I love manuals and really wanted one but my whole point of buying this car was the utility combined with good fuel economy. I don't lose any utility by going with the automatic but I gain mpg. No brainer. Someday I'll have a fun car with a manual again, it just isn't going to be this one. This car isn't any less fun for having the CVT and the paddle shifters are a lot of fun. I use them every trip.

Oh, I just did a 90 mile round trip with 3 bikes on top on 3 guys in the car. Averaged 29.1 mpg and it took about 3 gallons of gas. Cost me just over $10. My '05 F350 I sold to get this car would have done that trip with over 6 gallons of diesel and cost me over $37! I don't miss my truck at all.

mtbr member
    Some people like Subaru, some people don't. I've had an Impreza and I can't say I liked it much.

Pros:
    ** Handling
    ** Gas mileage
    ** Snowbird

Cons:
    ** Terrible paint
    ** Terrible seats
    ** Windows wouldn't roll up in cold weather
    ** Local dealer took forever on warranty issues
    ** Wiring issue with all front lighting
    ** Conti tires were terrible

??? Cheap car = cheap sh!t.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    Some people like Subaru, some people don't. I've had an Impreza and I can't say I liked it much.

Pros:
    ** Handling
    ** Gas mileage
    ** Snowbird

Cons:
    ** Terrible paint
    ** Terrible seats
    ** Windows wouldn't roll up in cold weather
    ** Local dealer took forever on warranty issues
    ** Wiring issue with all front lighting
    ** Conti tires were terrible

??? Cheap car = cheap sh!t.
    Sounds like a lemon, what year was it? I have a 2002 that's never been waxed, yes never, and the paint looks perfect. Both of ours have been great with zero issues at all. Subarus are considered very reliable in general.

since 4/10/2009

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Just got the email yeaterday. Our crosstrek has a vin and looks to arrive the first week of may!

Your Best Friend
    Just got the email yeaterday. Our crosstrek has a vin and looks to arrive the first week of may!
    Why so long? I ordered mine on 27 Feb and it arrived on 23 Mar. Did you get something super custom?

since 4/10/2009

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Why so long? I ordered mine on 27 Feb and it arrived on 23 Mar. Did you get something super custom?
    Nothing outrageous. A few port-installed accessories and a dealer installed one on a premium xv in blue. It is about the right amount of time we were quoted.

Our dealer has been selling most of their xv's off of the incoming models list where folks had to wait a short amount of time for something already on the way. My wife wanted to order one that had not yet been built so she could choose color and options specifically rather than buy whatever they had on the way already.

mtbr member
    Trade in values are full retard right now. I'm really eyeing the XV Crosstrek. With the high trade in values, and low interest rates on loans, it's hard to resist. I'll probably wait a couple of months until the feeding frenzy dies and get one. Five speed, of course. Why, because it's the proper thing to do.

I've got a question though. I work as a valet, so I've hopped in quite a few of the current Outbacks and Foresters. That's actually where my admiration of Subaru blossomed. At 6'4" tall, one thing I love about the current batch of Subarus it that the seats go really far back. Even with a telescope wheel, the seats will go far enough back that I feel disconnected from the controls. The spec page said the XV has the same about of legroom as the Outback and Forester. In the real world, is the cockpit on the XV as roomy as the Outback/Forester? Haven't come across one at work yet.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    A diesel hybrid doesn't really work, while I won't say it's impossible, it's not very practical. A diesel engine does NOT lend itself well to starting and stopping. The engine must be kept hot for combustion to occur. There are no spark plugs, rather it uses compression to ignite the fuel, but if the engine has been shut down for a while, it uses "glowplugs" to help reach that temperature where it would ignite the mixture and they suck a lot of energy, but again, if it's not really at that operating temperature, it's not working very efficiently. Gas engines on the other hand, if you just "look" at gas vapors wrong they explode! Very small displacement diesel engines are also difficult to engineer due to heat dissipation. They have to be hot enough to do the above, but not so hot that they melt or break down. They often need turbos to help aid that compression (more heat!), so when you look at the materials and engineering involved, it ends up not being worth it. Remember that diesel is more "dense" than gasoline and less of it comes out of a barrel of oil. It's not some magic solution to anything, if more people are using diesel then there's gobs of gasoline that's not being used and the price for the gas will drop. I'd love a 335d, but there are many reasons you don't see hybrid diesels.
    Nonsense. I drive an F550 crane truck at work. I have a remote start/stop switch in the crow's nest, and start and stop the engine all the time... and that is with a traditional electric gear motor starter. Granted, it does take a lot more energy to turn a diesel engine around to start it, but it's well within the amount of energy the traction motor can do... especially considering that the traction motor has to be strong enough to pull 3500 pounds of car from a dead stop. The glow plugs only come into play if the engine is stone cold. Most of the time, you don't even need those, unless it's below 40F outside, and the car/truck has been sitting overnight. I knew folks who had Rabbit Diesels back in the 70s and 80s, and the glow plug systems would fail on those all the time, and many wouldn't even notice.

IIRC, Audi has a hybrid diesel they are close to production on.

Also, a hybrid doesn't have to have a start/stop engine. The original Honda Insight and Civic hybrids were 'mild hybrids', where the traction motor just boosts the gas motor when needed, and takes energy back off to charge the batteries when coasting down. The gas engine still spins all the time, as long as the car is moving.

*edit*

Heh... Peugeot has a diesel full hybrid, out now. (not that I would personally want to own a Peugeot)

3008 HYbrid4 - Cars Peugeot - Peugeot Motion & Emotion
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-08-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Nonsense. I drive an F550 crane truck at work. I have a remote start/stop switch in the crow's nest, and start and stop the engine all the time... and that is with a traditional electric gear motor starter. Granted, it does take a lot more energy to turn a diesel engine around to start it, but it's well within the amount of energy the traction motor can do... especially considering that the traction motor has to be strong enough to pull 3500 pounds of car from a dead stop. The glow plugs only come into play if the engine is stone cold. Most of the time, you don't even need those, unless it's below 40F outside, and the car/truck has been sitting overnight. I knew folks who had Rabbit Diesels back in the 70s and 80s, and the glow plug systems would fail on those all the time, and many wouldn't even notice.

IIRC, Audi has a hybrid diesel they are close to production on.

Also, a hybrid doesn't have to have a start/stop engine. The original Honda Insight and Civic hybrids were 'mild hybrids', where the traction motor just boosts the gas motor when needed, and takes energy back off to charge the batteries when coasting down. The gas engine still spins all the time, as long as the car is moving.

*edit*

Heh... Peugeot has a diesel full hybrid, out now. (not that I would personally want to own a Peugeot)

3008 HYbrid4 - Cars Peugeot - Peugeot Motion & Emotion
    Well true, but I haven't seen any practical ones yet. If it takes "a lot of energy" to start, due to the high compression, etc, you lose the hybrid benefit to a large extent. If it doesn't shut off, you lose some of the mileage benefit. That peugeot got 46mpg in magazine testing, not quite prius territory, but maybe it will get better. A 2.0L diesel engine seems too big to really take advantage of it and offer something over gasoline hybrids. That's my point, the technology needs to advance to the point where it actually gives you something better. Should probably be a 1.5L diesel with a bigger electric motor and battery. When it really starts pulling 65mpg (rather than claiming it), then we might have something.

mtbr member
    2009... from what I hear it wasn't a lemon. The bad paint is a talked about a lot on line. The wiring in the front lights ended up being a recall.

I didn't mention that the rear windsheld wiper came off. That was also a recall item.

Sounds like a lemon, what year was it? I have a 2002 that's never been waxed, yes never, and the paint looks perfect. Both of ours have been great with zero issues at all. Subarus are considered very reliable in general.

mtbr member
    I will say the resale / trade-in value was pretty good. Bought it for $17600 new, traded it off with 35K on it for $14400. Pretty happy with that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    I will say the resale / trade-in value was pretty good. Bought it for $17600 new, traded it off with 35K on it for $14400. Pretty happy with that.
    Was it a premium? That's great resale. We have a 2009 and it is perfect and the paint is great and it's never been waxed or garaged.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    "pretty good" resale value is actually "best out of any manufacturer".

The paint, that's not Subaru- that's like everyone. I have owned two modern Mazdas, and the hood chipped on both if you so much as looked at them. I think it's just "such is a modern car".
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well I just traded in my 11 outback for a 2013 crosstrek premium that is loaded!!

Got the Tangerine Orange Pearl Paint scheme, Moonroof everything accept leather and gps

They even threw in a hitch!!

Lowered My payments by a hundred bucks!

Just have to wait till mid may for it to be delivered!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i currently drive an 02 f150 getting about 15mpg, and have driven over 50k miles in the last 6 months. i was initially wanting a tacoma to replace it, but then i started looking deeper into the more economical vehicles and came back across the Crosstrek and i am sold! took a limited out for a test drive today and was pretty stoked. i was concerned going in about the power, and it really wasnt an issue. the feel of the CVT was a little strange NOT feeling it shift, but i will get over it, and the thing handled great. on the highway, 2 clicks on the Down paddle to make a pass, then 1 click Up and back to where you were, pretty cool feature.

This car makes absolute sense for me as business decision by potentially yielding over $700 more Profit a month.

my local dealer has a DGM limited with sunroof and nav that should be showing up at the end of the week. hopefully the keys land in my hands!

question about the audio... has anybody gone with the Kicker speaker upgrades? was it worth it, or should i just upgrade them myself if i really feel the need?
    Juice

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Before you spend the money on the kicker "upgrade" use the hidden audio menu to adjust the factory settings. We have the base radio in our Impreza Sport so it only turns off the loudness but still a nice trick.

Hidden menu for 2011+ "premium" head unit? - NASIOC

For speakers DIY the Kicker upgrade is over priced for the door speakers. The dealer I work for has sold a few and I wasn't impressed by them. you can do a lot better for the money getting your own speakers.
    His Hers
    2014 Trek CrossRip 2015 Trek Lexa
    2012 Trek Rumblefish 2013 Sette Reken

The Mud Stud
    The kicker upgrade when paired with the hidden audio options sound amazing. Everyone who gets in the car immediately notices that the audio is not stock.

since 4/10/2009
    It rolled off the truck today (while we were out mountain biking).

We pick it up Wednesday.

Subaru XV Crosstrek-image.jpeg

Your Best Friend

Re: Subaru XV Crosstrek

At the top of the Horse thief switchbacks after a long day on the White Rim trail in Moab. Love this car!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subaru XV Crosstrek-uploadfromtaptalk1367198707475.jpg  

since 4/10/2009
    picked up our Crosstrek today! Marine Blue Pearl Premium

Subaru XV Crosstrek-dscf1231_800.jpg

Will get the Thule rack on it soon, will be used primarily for our canoe. I intend to get a hitch for it and hopefully a Kuat NV later this year.

Muskoka
    picked up our Crosstrek today! Marine Blue Pearl Premium

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1231_800.jpg 
Views:	8975 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	795362

Will get the Thule rack on it soon, will be used primarily for our canoe. I intend to get a hitch for it and hopefully a Kuat NV later this year.
    Nice! We don't get that colour option in Canada for some reason
    https://picasaweb.google.com/113125576961447749127

RSD Bikes The Mayor
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

since 4/10/2009
    Looking at this hitch. At $250, it's a bit more than the Curt version, but it uses the hitch hole in the bumper and maintains the ground clearance and clean lines.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gDYCpBhYhKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Torklift Central Eco-Hitch Invisi 2" Subaru XV Crosstrek Trailer Hitch | Torklift Central

I can't remember if this one was posted in here or not and I didn't feel like digging through all the pages to find it. Considering what needs to be done to fit it in there, with dropping the exhaust out of the way (and with me not having the space I'd need to do that), I'd probably try to find a shop willing to do the install for me.

Captain Climber
    Nice NateHawk! I have yet to see one of these on the road but probably best as I would be jealous.

ballbuster
    Looking at this hitch. At $250, it's a bit more than the Curt version, but it uses the hitch hole in the bumper and maintains the ground clearance and clean lines.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gDYCpBhYhKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Torklift Central Eco-Hitch Invisi 2" Subaru XV Crosstrek Trailer Hitch | Torklift Central

I can't remember if this one was posted in here or not and I didn't feel like digging through all the pages to find it. Considering what needs to be done to fit it in there, with dropping the exhaust out of the way (and with me not having the space I'd need to do that), I'd probably try to find a shop willing to do the install for me.
    Now that is a slick install. I love it. I scrape my hitch receivers all the time on steep departures, even without the rack installed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got My Crosstrek last Friday, Freakin Love it! Second Subaru!

Got My factory hitch installed today at the dealer

Putting together my Kuat NV tomorrow

So I can safely and securely transport this:

The Total Package

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast