Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post

My current favorite, after finally seeing it in person, is the Desert Khaki. Not sure if I would choose it tho if I bought an XV but I love that they offered it.
    Of course you would

mtbr member
    We got the news that ours had been assembled a lintel before Christmas. Still awaiting its arrival in port. DGM, sunroof, Nav, etc.

I see gravitylover posted 35+mpg freeway already. Anyone else have highway MPG to report? Not interested in city mileage as there are just too many variables. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    31mpg with snowboards on the roof and the 5speed model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boudy View Post
    If you like to control your car and slide it around, look elsewhere.

I have the manual. When you let off the gas the engine revs stay up. This means that if you get stuck in the snow you can't do the forward-back thing to work it out because it grinds when going from 1st to reverse.

Furthermore the traction control does NOT turn off, even when the disable button is active. It robs the power. So when you're in the snow it cuts power, eliminating the benefits of AWD.

Basically the care works against you. Its a huge disappointment.

Subaru messed up the drive train on this car IMHO.
    What in the hell?

Engine revs stay up? Doesn't that simply mean it has a heavy flywheel or something? Just let the revs go down before shifting gears?

The VDC off disables most of the power-robbing properties of the VDC, but it is still active to make sure the car's AWD system is always transferring power efficiently and effectively. (Only the WRX STI, model years 2008 onwards, is the sole Subaru that has the ability to defeat VDC entirely without pulling a fuse)

In your case, that meant killing the fun of getting the rear-end around. Might wanna look into what fuses may be able to disable the VDC entirely, but I would consult the advice of an expert before attempting that.

Subaru didn't mess up the drive train...(or did they?) In your case, the VDC just seems too intrusive for you. Maybe a rear LSD may help get the car more spirited once you find a way to disable VDC?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Does the 2.0 manual feel underpowered compared to the older 2.5 manuals in other like cars? This car has like 22 HP less than my 2009 Impreza.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
    What in the hell?

Engine revs stay up? Doesn't that simply mean it has a heavy flywheel or something? Just let the revs go down before shifting gears?

The VDC off disables most of the power-robbing properties of the VDC, but it is still active to make sure the car's AWD system is always transferring power efficiently and effectively. (Only the WRX STI, model years 2008 onwards, is the sole Subaru that has the ability to defeat VDC entirely without pulling a fuse)

In your case, that meant killing the fun of getting the rear-end around. Might wanna look into what fuses may be able to disable the VDC entirely, but I would consult the advice of an expert before attempting that.

Subaru didn't mess up the drive train...(or did they?) In your case, the VDC just seems too intrusive for you. Maybe a rear LSD may help get the car more spirited once you find a way to disable VDC?
    I think its the programming of the throttle control that keeps the rev up. Its drive by wire so they can do whatever they want. The dealer tech told me it was deliberate.

There are threads on NASIOC and on Forrester forums about this whole TC/VDC thing and how it neuters the car's ability to be driven through snow. The fuse that disables it also affects ABS and a few other things.

All it takes is one wheel slipping abit and the the computer kills power to ALL of the wheels. The disable button seems to have a very slight affect.

The point of driving a manual is to have fine grained control of the drive train.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I see gravitylover posted 35+mpg freeway already. Anyone else have highway MPG to report? Not interested in city mileage as there are just too many variables. Thanks.
    27 MPG average, mixed driving.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just ordered a Satin White Premium 5-speed!

Planning on installing a Curt hitch:
    Trailer Hitch by Curt for 2013 XV - C11286

Onto which I'll mount a Kuat Beta rack:
    Products » Beta | Küat

My question: If I'm only ever going to carry a 2-bike rack on this hitch is there any reason that I should go with a 2" rack and receiver rather than the 1.25" rack and receiver? I think the 1.25" receiver looks cleaner when the rack is not attached.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Zirkel; 01-17-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Zirkel - I just got my hitch installed tonight on my 2013 Outback. $230 out the door at uhaul. It's tucked away really well and I can't even see the receiver unless I crouch down. Lifetime warranty, too, even if I mangle it up in an accident.

I'd go for a 2". The 1.25" tends to sway too much for me. Plus you'll have more hitch accessory options. Also, if you ever decide to tow, well, you're already set up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boudy View Post
    I think its the programming of the throttle control that keeps the rev up. Its drive by wire so they can do whatever they want. The dealer tech told me it was deliberate.

There are threads on NASIOC and on Forrester forums about this whole TC/VDC thing and how it neuters the car's ability to be driven through snow. The fuse that disables it also affects ABS and a few other things.

All it takes is one wheel slipping abit and the the computer kills power to ALL of the wheels. The disable button seems to have a very slight affect.

The point of driving a manual is to have fine grained control of the drive train.
    Aw... that's disappointing to be honest...

So I guess if one wants to turn VDC off for good, gotta get a WRX STI... *sigh*

I heard the same fuse that affects VDC and ABS will even affect the speedometer

Drive-by-wire throttle for the lose? This is why I want to have multiple Subarus for specific applications. One of those Subarus will be a carbureted mid 1980's 4WD Subaru GL wagon with a dual-range manual transmission.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirkel View Post
    Just ordered a Satin White Premium 5-speed!

Planning on installing a Curt hitch:

Onto which I'll mount a Kuat Beta rack:
    Products » Beta | Küat

My question: If I'm only ever going to carry a 2-bike rack on this hitch is there any reason that I should go with a 2" rack and receiver rather than the 1.25" rack and receiver? I think the 1.25" receiver looks cleaner when the rack is not attached.

Thanks!
    No need for a 2" period as the car is only meant to tow up to 1500 lbs. Have you thought of going with the factory hitch? It is a very clean fit and you can only see the tip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Tech420: From what I've read, and after reviewing the pdf installation instructions, the factory hitch requires the entire bumper to be removed in order to be installed. It's quite an extensive job that your dealership would need to complete. The Curt hitch is simple 4-bolt installation to the existing frame (that requires slightly enlarging 2 holes with a dremel tool) that even I could do at home. It also looks very clean and low profile in photos that I've seen.

My question is whether to go with the 2" or 1.25" rack & receiver to carry two XC bikes? Is the 1.25" sufficiently stable enough for the job?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Tech420: From what I've read, and after reviewing the pdf installation instructions, the factory hitch requires the entire bumper to be removed in order to be installed. It's quite an extensive job that your dealership would need to complete. The Curt hitch is simple 4-bolt installation to the existing frame (that requires slightly enlarging 2 holes with a dremel tool) that even I could do at home. It also looks very clean and low profile in photos that I've seen.

My question is whether to go with the 2" or 1.25" rack & receiver to carry two XC bikes? Is the 1.25" sufficiently stable enough for the job?

Thanks!
    I had the dealer do mine There is no need for a 2" hitch when the car can't tow over 1500lbs. 2 bikes won't cause any type of issue at all. I had a hitch rack with 2 bikes on it for a few days before switching to my roof rack and it was perfectly fine.

I guess my experience is different. 1.25" swayed too much for me with one bike on the back. I was using a Thule Apex rack. 2" provided better stability, especially when going over rough roads to get to some of the trailheads. 2" has way more attachment options and doesn't hinder ground clearance. If anything, it would protect your rear bumper from getting torn apart.

My dealer wanted $700 for the factory rack (1.25"). Uhaul charged $230 out the door. It's recessed about 2" from the end of the bumper so can't even tell it's there.

mtbr member
    Walked into the dealer today to get an impreza 5 door for my wife. Did not want to order and wait for a crosstrek. Just so happens a crosstrek came in a few hours before and it was not spoken for! Traded her car in for 20% more than carmax offered so we pulled the trigger right away! Dark gray w/ black cloth interior. Will post pics soon.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Also, a lot of people test the stock radio and think it sounds like crap solely based off the FM radio. It sounds wayyyyy better with BT-a or iPod
    Agree---the FM is cr+p in my new outback. Especially the HD stations as the volume continuously goes down, up or cuts out. At least not that way on regular stations.

The iPOD does sound good.

mtbr member
    Curt 2" hitch

mtbr member
    Nice, just ordered one off amazon, easy install?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    RideUT: Check out the installation video near the bottom of this page:

Trrubicon: That is one sweet looking ride (and I'm not talking about the bike!).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideut View Post
    Nice, just ordered one off amazon, easy install?

Only tough part is enlarging the rear holes. I used a stepped drill bit, but you can use a metal file to make notches on each side of the holes. Just enough to allow the rear carriage bolt and plate to go through.

I would suggest having a second hand or a rolling Jack to lift the hitch up while bolting up.

Trrubicon: That is one sweet looking ride (and I'm not talking about the bike!).
    Thanks! I love it

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Agree---the FM is cr+p in my new outback. Especially the HD stations as the volume continuously goes down, up or cuts out. At least not that way on regular stations.

The iPOD does sound good.
    Is it because it is fading in and out of HD?

Anyways, check this out- this applies to you because you have the display audio system, this may help you:

('11+) Impreza Limited "Hidden" Audio Menu - NASIOC
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
    What in the hell?

I've seen a lot of engines do this for emissions. Sorta like, it's trying to burn off the unburned gas in deceleration.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I've seen a lot of engines do this for emissions. Sorta like, it's trying to burn off the unburned gas in deceleration.
    What unburned gas? Injectors shut off when your car is coasting and just using engine compression. Modern engines are very good in this regard, in that they don't put fuel into the cylinders that isn't going to be burned (except during start/warmup, which has other methods to help alleviate this).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think your car is effed,boudy- I've been in plenty of manual Subarus with the VDC turned off and it does not rob power, and I've been able to rock the car back and forth in the snow. They didn't really screw up the drivetrain, as it's been largely unchanged for about a decade now. I think you should get that looked at.

One thing- when you tried rocking the car, was the engine still warming up? They intially idle at like 1500 for a while.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast