Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Glad you are OK and could walk away. What are you going to get next?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    EazyE... I am guessing that you didn't have your bike on the rack at the time of the accident or we would have heard you bemoaning the loss of it as well. Good thing... but this is why I prefer roof racks. I don't have to worry about the idiot tailgating me destroying not just my car but also my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    EazyE... I am guessing that you didn't have your bike on the rack at the time of the accident or we would have heard you bemoaning the loss of it as well. Good thing... but this is why I prefer roof racks. I don't have to worry about the idiot tailgating me destroying not just my car but also my bike.
    Glad the great Subaru safety served you well. Any reason you're getting another model now?

Captain Climber
    Anybody seen this vid of the Crosstrek pulling people out of the snow? At 2 minutes he pulls out a UPS truck
    Subaru XV Crosstrek, Winter Rescue Vehicle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    Glad you are OK and could walk away. What are you going to get next?
    There wasn't anything I really found wrong with the Crosstrek in about 11,000 miles of driving, outside of wishing it had more cargo room. Loved the heated seats.

Mainly, I just want to pay off the loan I had out on it and get an older Subaru. I went back to college, and having that payment/insurance hanging over my head isn't the best thing. I love the look of the second gen Forester or the early 2000's Outback Sport.

The only thing is, I sat in a buddy's 05 Forester and it was way more cramped than my Crosstrek. At 6'4", the one thing I really liked about the current Suabrus was how much leg room they had.

Captain Climber
    After a couple hundred miles with both the Crosstrek and the Impreza Sport I love these cars. They are very peppy to me (and I traded a Corvette for them that I owned for 10 years). I've passed people quickly and easily all the way up to doing a quick pass with the person in front already doing 70mph.

Also, I heard and originally thought that the stereo sucked but I adjusted my bass, treble and mids up and it sounded much better but I could only hear the front speakers. Then I adjusted the Fader to around R4 or 5 and it really sounds good to me.

mtbr member
    I'll play. I bought mine literally from the showroom floor with 8 miles on it. Only up to 1,300 so far and I absolutely love it. I had a 330xi before as well as a few Jeeps and this is as reliable in the snow as anything else I've driven.

Spec:
    - Satin white pearl
    - Premium package
    - non nav/sunroof

OEM:
    - all weather mats
    - trunk liner
    - rear seat protectors
    - luggage cover
    - aero cross bars
    - splash guards
    - rear bumper cover
    - auto-dim compass Homelink mirror

Mods:
    - Plasti-dip grill, rear bumper fascia
    - debadged
    - Silvania Ultra low beams
    - Putco Spark White 4000k fogs
    - LED corner and license plate lights
    - Front tint to match factory privacy windows
    - INNO upright bike tray and fairing
    - Yakima Powderhound ski racks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subaru XV Crosstrek-tint.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Anyone install fog lights? Were they hard to do? I saw the Putgo ones above.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Anyone install fog lights? Were they hard to do? I saw the Putgo ones above.
    Very simple to access them but most replacement bulbs you find will need a very minor modification. To access you pull two plastic gromets and one phillips screw from underneath (in front of the wheel) and peel away the plastic splash guard. You will see the wiring harness/bulb assembly which snaps into the fog housing. Squeeze the harness and the assembly pops out. Then the bulb slides out of the assembly. The bulbs have a few thin plastic grooves molded into the sides and aftermarket bulbs need this part to be trimmed off with a razor or box knife and then they will slide in place.

At first I bought cheap LED ones and they were worse than stock so I bought these Putcos and for $25 they are much brighter and whiter than stock. Both sets I tried needed these plastic fins to be trimmed off to fit.

mtbr member
    I jumped on this bandwagon as well. Had an E92 BMW before it, needed something more MTB friendly and better on gas. After deliberating for about 2-3 weeks as to what to get, I settled on the Crosstrek as well.

Here's my Limited, with the nav/moonroof package. The only mods I have ordered/planned for it are a Curt hitch, a Kuat NV Core and a set of Okoles for the summertime so that my sweaty/filthy self doesn't ruin the leather seats.

Only put about 500 miles on it but I like it so far. Should be awesome for weekend trips to the trails.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '17 Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

Captain Climber
    Nice! Are you doing a 1 1/4 or 2" hitch/rack?

I see from this post and your signature that we have at least three things in common.

fc
    stoked Administrator

Subaru XV Crosstrek

13k miles on this awesome machine
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Yeah I also despise the sliding center armrest. Especially since I have a manual and basically every 1-2 or 3-4 shift is enough to slide it back. If anyone hears of a fix I'd love to hear it!

My stereo seems to sound better after fiddling with the "hidden modes"
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AnYFs6OpGGs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

although maybe it's just psychological.
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Nice! Are you doing a 1 1/4 or 2" hitch/rack?

I see from this post and your signature that we have at least three things in common.
    I went with the 1 1/4, just because I didn't want to run the extra adapter. I don't plan on using the hitch for anything other than the bike carrier.

And yup, I believe we do! I have a few handled-Ibbies too, my fiddles are here.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '17 Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Been meaning to post this since Christmas but now that the trails are starting to dry it out I thought I would share. I installed the Torklift Eco Hitch on my wife's Crosstrek. She liked the idea of it being hidden behind the bumper during the winter. For Christmas I got her the Inno Tire Hold hitch rack. The stinger fit perfectly, I didn't need to cut it down to prevent it from hitting the muffler. It is a tight squeeze though between the first tray and the bumper. But it does sit up nice and flush with the back of the car when folded up. The rack is really nice, super easy to load the bikes. Makes my Thule T2 seem like a dinosaur. It only holds 3 bikes max, but perfect for when she and my girls go for a ride.

Subaru XV Crosstrek-20131225_133017.jpg

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Couple problems.

1) Bluetooth - When I paired a second phone to bluetooth, all hell broke loose. The radio now can't connect to either phone automatically. I have to manually select every time I get in the car. I can't even delete that second phone and get things back to normal. It should just connect to my phone every time I get in the car.

2) Curt Hitch and muffler hit - These two are close enough together that when the engine is under load, the muffler vibrates and it hits the hitch. Makes a noticeable rattle.

I can probably grind the hitch down but that is some hard steel.

fc
    IPA will save America

Your Best Friend
    If your Curt hitch is hitting the muffler, you may want to check the installation. I have the same hitch and it isn't close enough at all.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I do not have the same issue with the Curt 2" hitch

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Looking at a 2014 Crosstrek. I want to put a 2" hitch on it. How many have had to trim the stinger on a KUAT NV with the hidden hitch? How hard is it to unlock the pin behind the bumper cover with the bike rack on?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
    Bob

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Picked up my white 2014 crosstrek a few days ago. Installed a yakima roof rack but I am waiting on 15mm axle adapters and fairing. Dam that rack whistles when going down the highway, hopefully the fairing fixes that!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Picked up my white 2014 crosstrek a few days ago. Installed a yakima roof rack but I am waiting on 15mm axle adapters and fairing. Dam that rack whistles when going down the highway, hopefully the fairing fixes that!
    The fairing will fix that for sure. So will the little Windjammer wing. I went with the wing because the fairing would sit on the moon roof. Had the fairing on my '02 WRx though.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So what are you guys using for oil? I was told 0 20w Subaru oil only. Which isnt a problem except I have to drive 50 miles to get it from my dealer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    So what are you guys using for oil? I was told 0 20w Subaru oil only. Which isnt a problem except I have to drive 50 miles to get it from my dealer.
    Mobile 1 should be ok, visit nasioc forums for the best knowledge.

mtbr member
    Google bob is the oil guy. It's a huge site/forum dedicated to lube. Mobile 1 is not even fully synthetic anymore from what I hear. I think penzoil platinum is suppose to be a superior oil. Anyway check the site out. Many oil geeks talking about every oil known to man. These guys send their oil out for testing after an oil change. Kinda nutty.

You'll learn about ad packs and other stuff that makes oil good or bad.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    42,000 miles and just oil and filter changes, bomber reliability and averaging 28mpg. This car is the do everything rig and it really doesn't care what the weather is like. There are a few quibbles of course but nothing I didn't expect.

Subaru XV Crosstrek-wp_000473_zps169a8a86.jpg

Subaru XV Crosstrek-wp_000501_zpsa89d81d0.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    All,

If you are having a problem with your Crosstrek/Impreza/Forester's digital fuel gauge (this also works for if you have a Forester with a power liftgate that isn't opening), if you are comfortable doing this on your own:

1. Disconnect battery.

2. Take the positive and negative cables on the car and touch them together for a few seconds. This discharges the capacative energy.

3. Reconnect. Should work fine now.

I say this because I have been seeing this a lot since becoming a service advisor and if some of you are handy with your car, this can save you a trip to the dealer.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks jared. Any idea of the super long cranking time some get once in a while? Takes up to 10 seconds, then the car sputters to life. I get it once in a while.

Seen the issue on some subaru specific boards.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm not too sure on that. I sold Subarus for 5 years and transferred to the service department of my dealer about 6 weeks ago, and I have been hearing people ask a lot about the long crank times but I've not actually had the time to learn about it lol.

Another thing I've learned (this is probably common knowledge if one frequents a Subaru forum, I dont tho) is that the new series motors, 2.0 and 2.5 alike, like to consume oil. I immediately started preaching about 6,000 mile intervals instead of 7,500 once I learned that. Unless one is cool with topping off their oil now and again. Subaru is actually shortening the oil change intervals on 2015 models because of this. I guess that's what happens with running such a thin oil.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Cool. Thanks jared. Any idea of the super long cranking time some get once in a while? Takes up to 10 seconds, then the car sputters to life. I get it once in a while.

Seen the issue on some subaru specific boards.
    As I understand it you have to allow a couple of seconds for the fuel system to pressurize. I've heard we need to wait for the gauges to spin up and then come back to zero before cranking.

The only issue I've had with both my 2014 Impreza ans Crosstrek is shifting from reverse to drive takes longer than normal for the car to click into drive. Anybody else have this issue?

mtbr member
    ^ yup, definitely notice the lag when shifting out of reverse with the CVT.

mtbr member

Re: Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    As I understand it you have to allow a couple of seconds for the fuel system to pressurize. I've heard we need to wait for the gauges to spin up and then come back to zero before cranking.

The only issue I've had with both my 2014 Impreza ans Crosstrek is shifting from reverse to drive takes longer than normal for the car to click into drive. Anybody else have this issue?
    I allow time.
    Nothing has helped. That's an urban legend about pressurizing the system.
    CRAMBA Chairman

Captain Climber
    I allow time.
    Nothing has helped. That's an urban legend about pressurizing the system.
    Yep... Sorry for the misinformed post. I've never had a problem with either of my month old cars but was reading on some forums about this and saw that this issue mentioned several places along with the pressurizing the system to fix it. After reading your post that I quoted above I did some more research. Seems people are recommending everything from upgrading the software to changing the battery but I don't think anyone had figured it out yet. Hope I never have an issue with it!

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Neseth View Post
    Mobile 1 should be ok, visit nasioc forums for the best knowledge.
    IIRC, Mobil1 European formula is 0/20. They stock it at OReiley AutoParts.

*edit*

Sorry... scratch that. European Formula is 0/40 weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was able to find 0 20w Valvoline at store. A bit pricey but cheaper than having my dealer change it. I have been changing my own oil for a long time after several bad experiences with shops.

Only thing I need to do is keep receipts every time I change my oil to maintain warranty. By the way that yakima fairing helped out alot. No more loud whistle from my roof rack.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    It's getting real at the trail head parking lot.Subaru XV Crosstrek-1660288_10152228029958213_1393933410_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It's getting real at the trail head parking lot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1660288_10152228029958213_1393933410_n.jpg 
Views:	10933 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	878270
    That is a Gawddammed FABULOUS pic!!

Just picked up our 2014 XV Hybrid 3 weeks ago- love it!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Go here and look for the eco hitch. It hides under the bumper. The stinger fits through the unused rear foglamp knockout. Very cool. Easy install. 1.25 or 2 inch available. Torklift Central - Trailer Hitches|Towbars|5th Wheels|Truck Campers|Trailer Repair|Seattle|Kent|Auburn|Puyallup|Tacoma|Renton| Covington|Sumner|Bellevue|Burien|Enumclaw|WA
    I live in the greater Seattle area and had these guys install the "eco hitch" 2 weekends ago. Love it!!
    Not especially cheap, but man, I love that it is completely hidden when rack is not being used. Well made, nice install.
    I did the 1 1/4", because that's what my Inno rack uses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's getting real at the trail head parking lot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1660288_10152228029958213_1393933410_n.jpg 
Views:	10933 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	878270
    That's me and my Dark Grey Metallic in the middle of that Tangerine XV sandwich! Love that car.

A pleasure meeting Francois too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    The fairing will fix that for sure. So will the little Windjammer wing. I went with the wing because the fairing would sit on the moon roof. Had the fairing on my '02 WRx though.
    Does that little Windjammer thingy really work as well as a full-on fairing?
    I do hate that the fairing sits right on the moonroof...

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    Does that little Windjammer thingy really work as well as a full-on fairing?
    I do hate that the fairing sits right on the moonroof...
    Yes, works pretty good, I can hear maybe just a slight whistle with the sliding cover of the moonroof open, nothing at all with it closed. Still have the fairing from the WRX but haven't had it on the XV

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Might be getting an XV this weekend. Found some killer deals in the area so I might jump. Still debating on the AWD and safety of the Subaru and the handling and performance of the Focus ST. Focus is cheaper...depends on how low the Subaru dealer will go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Might be getting an XV this weekend. Found some killer deals in the area so I might jump. Still debating on the AWD and safety of the Subaru and the handling and performance of the Focus ST. Focus is cheaper...depends on how low the Subaru dealer will go.
    Geez, that's quite a contrast in vehicles. Too bad they aren't making the WRX in a hatch this year. Love my subaru, i've got 120k miles on it and the only part that broke was a sun visor spring, and the alternator/powersteering belt needed to be tensioned(no auto tensioner). But i drive like an old man now, i have a kid, so i don't drive it like i stole it anymore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not sure about all dealers, but we just got an end of model year dump of like 4 hatchback WRX's, I guess they're clearing them out to focus on the 15's
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Focus ST with centered rear exhaust... no hitch mounted bike rack for you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Focus ST with centered rear exhaust... no hitch mounted bike rack for you!
    I don't like a hitch rack anyways, plus I already have a roof rack that fits. I already owned a 2013 ST...traded it, thinking about getting another one. But just FYI...there is a hitch that works with the ST made by Curt.

Subaru XV Crosstrek-20130712_124007.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What are you guys getting for mileage? Mine only has about 1500 miles. Im getting about 26mpg however I hope I see an increase when engine is broken in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neseth View Post
    Geez, that's quite a contrast in vehicles. Too bad they aren't making the WRX in a hatch this year. Love my subaru, i've got 120k miles on it and the only part that broke was a sun visor spring, and the alternator/powersteering belt needed to be tensioned(no auto tensioner). But i drive like an old man now, i have a kid, so i don't drive it like i stole it anymore.
    It is. I really want the performance and the AWD and I think the WRX is out of the price range unless I can make some end of model year deal. WRX is my first choice actually but assuming I won't get them to come down enough in price, I've settled on the ST or XV. I had an ST before so I know what they are all about and it is a great car that's loads of fun to drive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Not sure about all dealers, but we just got an end of model year dump of like 4 hatchback WRX's, I guess they're clearing them out to focus on the 15's
    What kinda pricing? I mean is there a price reduction? Cheapest I've found one so far is $25k and some change for a 2014 5dr. I'm going to see if I can get the dealer to drop that below $25k. It's a high volume dealer on the last Saturday of the month...I'm hoping they are close but not quite to their quota when I get there...lol...they have the XV Limited for $23k. I can get the ST for $20k. Bad thing is...with the trade in...if I can't negotiate payoff, I'll be as much as $3k negative going in. I'm pretty sure I can get the gap closed, just not sure if all the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You'll really have to be playing with numbers because of that negative equity. It's true about end of the month too. Dealers get a kickback if they sell so many cars of this or that per month depending on supply. Also to clear out old models and make way for new models. I got my dad a left over honda CRV which he really wanted for $21k even with just an email offer to the local dealer, the lowest base price on the new model which just started shipping was over $24k at the time which included destination.

So really, i think you can get a new to you, but outgoing WRX hatch for under $25k with your trade, but you really have to stick to your guns. The 2011-2013 is already an outdated model. The impreza changed in 2012, but the wrx remained. So work that to your advantage.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've read that a dealer is more likely to go below cost to sell a few cars if they are really close to the monthly quota because the bonus they get is much more than the little bit of loss that they take on those few cars. The sales guy I talked to the other day pretty much said the same thing. He said that even at $23k on the XV, there was some wiggle room, especially being the end of the month. Could be a ploy to make sure I come in this weekend but maybe not. I was going to go anyways...even if the price doesn't move much if I can get them to really come up on the trade I'll be happy. We have a 2008 Xterra with a trade-in value right around $11.5k...we owe $14k. Even if I can get them to $12.5k or $13k, I'd be happy.

I'm sure it's not the best way to go into it...but I'm not as concerned about the total price as I am the monthly payment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got my 2014 crosstrek limited with leather but no navigation for $22.5k. Hope that helps. Did I get a good deal?

mtbr member
    I'd say considering MSRP is $25k + after Destination & Delivery charges. Maybe XJaredX can tell us what a truly great deal would be on one of these things.

mtbr member
    Use your imba discount. 2% below invoice with no haggling.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Not a member and there's a 6 month time period between joining and getting the discount. I was going to join last year now I'm kicking myself for not.

From my research, I'm thinking that invoice is around $23,178.00. I was offered invoice pricing already so I think I can negociate 1-2% lower allowing the dealer to still have their 1% dealer hold back. Or like I said...I'd be happy paying invoice if I can get the trade-in value closer to payoff. I guess it's 6 of one or half dozen of another when the monthly payment is calculated.

mtbr member
    Some people have been successful in getting far lower than 2% below invoice without the imba discount. I'm not that good of a haggler myself!
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You honestly can't go "far lower" than invoice minus 2% on a Subaru. A few hundred bucks is usually all that remains.

For outgoing '14 WRX's around here (eastern PA) $700 off MSRP is considered a good deal. Might be different in other parts of the country. So for a WRX, the IMBA discount would kick ass. But you need to be a member for more than 6 months. By that time there won't be hatchback WRX's left.

On a Crosstrek, 2% under invoice is achievable without the IMBA discount.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Yeah, $25,748 is the cheapest I've seen the WRX so far. I'll see this weekend how much lower they'll go. I figure not much because of the demand for the cars...especially the hatch being the last year for them...at least for awhile. I foresee them making a return after so many unhappy people voice their disappointment. But for now, I'm sure the dealers have little problem unloading hatches at or close to MSRP. If it doesn't workout...it'll likely be a XV for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    the 2014 WRX is already on their website. They should really be discounting the older 2014's, which have had the same body style since 2011 and same platform since 2008. It's an outdated model, i would keep stressing that.

The issue is, i don't think subaru is offering kickbacks to sell the 2014's yet. You would have to ask someone in the know at a dealership, but since the 2015's haven't really hit the showrooms yet, dealers probably won't get a kickback yet. I think once 2015's are out, the dealers will sell 2014s below invoice with the kickback because they are still getting money for it.

But of course, just keep haggling, and walk if they don't budge.

mtbr member
    Got this yesterday....

Subaru XV Crosstrek-10152436_10152285590124291_2069411101_n.jpg

Muskoka

Crosstrek and Pugsley :)

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Fatty transporter
    Subaru XV Crosstrek-wp_000501_zpsa89d81d0.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My wife and I just got a crosstrek, silver, loving it so far. Subaru would install the hitch for a crazy of like 600 bucks.

What are the hitches are most of you using? Uhaul can slap one on for like 120 bones or something. What are racks you all like the most, as well?

mtbr member
    Rack system installed...nice to have it back on a car...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti_mcshreddy View Post
    My wife and I just got a crosstrek, silver, loving it so far. Subaru would install the hitch for a crazy of like 600 bucks.

What are the hitches are most of you using? Uhaul can slap one on for like 120 bones or something. What are racks you all like the most, as well?
    The hitch i like the most is the ecohitch by torklift. It's the most factory looking hitch, and it's a stronger 2" reciever. But it's $250, you should be able to get uhaul or any other mechanic to install it for relatively cheap, like $100 or so.

The rack i like the most is the kuat NV.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti_mcshreddy View Post

Being cheap, I went with the kurt 2" (kurt also makes a 1.5"). Inexpensive (we spent less than $150 for hitch and harness), not terrible to install with the help of a friend. I have only hauled bikes (not a trailer yet), so I can't speak to that, but it did exactly what a hitch should. Uhaul wanted over $200 from me to put on a hitch. Since the kurt doesn't require any drilling (just pull a few rubber plugs in the underbody for your bolts), I thought I would do it myself.

Your Best Friend
    I also have the Curt 2" and also installed it myself. Too easy. I have pulled a trailer with it. Two positives over the hidden hitch? Easy to get the hitch pins in and out and it protects your bumper when off roading.

since 4/10/2009
    I like the ecohitch on my wife's xv. Yes, gotta crawl a little to access the hitch pin but I am a mt biker. Dirt doesn't bother me much, and I can't recall the last time I wore a suit when I needed to mess with a hitch pin.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I like the ecohitch on my wife's xv. Yes, gotta crawl a little to access the hitch pin but I am a mt biker. Dirt doesn't bother me much, and I can't recall the last time I wore a suit when I needed to mess with a hitch pin.

I think you have to crawl for most cars unless it has a ton of ground clearance or the hitch pretrudes past the rear bumper. I know i have to for my impreza which has a regular hitch.

mtbr member
    Really tempted to get one of these. Any issues with the clearance between the stinger and muffler? If I get one, I might try to have a shop weld a little spacer on the end of the receiver to prevent that.
    buzzes like a fridge

since 4/10/2009

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Really tempted to get one of these. Any issues with the clearance between the stinger and muffler? If I get one, I might try to have a shop weld a little spacer on the end of the receiver to prevent that.
    I haven't. It is VERY tight, though. Less than 1/4 inch. I think if you are in rough roads a lot it would be a good idea to hacksaw a little off the end of the stinger of my kuat. Again it would not need to be much. It protrudes out the back of the receiver a very small amount also.

I don't see how adding spacers anywhere would help at all unless you're talking about also adding a new hole for the hitch pin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What kind of actual highway mpg's are you guy seeing? I drive 25 highway miles one way to work usually at an average of 70 mph. I currently have a 14 Pathfinder that's getting 23.5 mpg. It's such a large vehicle for just my wife and I. Looked at a 14 Forester but had a horrible experience with the only local Subaru dealer.

mtbr member
    Most people are reporting high 20's to low 30's. I just filled up for the first time and got 22 mpg but it seems that's pretty typical...low mpg at first and improvement as the motor breaks in. I'll be happy if I can get high 20's after break in. I was getting 26 mpg in my Focus ST right off the bat, that's with a turbo and a lot more power than the XV.

Just Ride!
    I got 34 and 35 on my first two tanks and it has steadily dropped to 27 with about 12,000 miles on it driving the speed limit.

Your Best Friend
    I have nearly 19k miles on mine. Lots of around town and road trip miles. I have never not had a Thule roof rack on it and now it has a 1up hitch rack as well. Normal daily driving without a lot of highway miles, I average about 29mpg. The car does not like going faster than 70 mph. Above that and the mileage drops quickly. I just got back from a weekend trip to Moab. I had a massive headwind each direction and I was carrying 4 bikes, 2 of them on top. I averaged 23.4 mpg. Very crappy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    I have the Ecohitch as well and LOVE it.
    I have a bit more clearance than NateHawk does. I have an Inno 305h hitch rack instead of the Kuat.
    Nate is correct- adding spacers won't help unless you're going to drill more holes, but trimming the length of the stinger would, if you needed to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    Nate is correct- adding spacers won't help unless you're going to drill more holes, but trimming the length of the stinger would, if you needed to.
    I haven't. It is VERY tight, though. Less than 1/4 inch. I think if you are in rough roads a lot it would be a good idea to hacksaw a little off the end of the stinger of my kuat.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I like the idea of being able to hide the hitch when not in use. Maybe spacer is the wrong word, I'm thinking of something extending from the end of the receiver to prevent me from accidentally jamming the stinger into the muffler, but maybe I'm just not picturing the problem correctly.

My mileage is ranging from 27-31 in mixed driving, btw.
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    2 3/8 from center of the pin hole to end of stinger is whats recommended for the Torklift hitch. I am going to trim mine and hope it comes right to the end of the hitch. If it does I will have a stop welded there just so I can push it till it stops and put the pin in without any adjusting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Uggh. I got rear ended yesterday and the back of my car is twisted and the frame actually is buckled and has a twist in it that looks like a piece of rope Of course the other vehicle took off before I could get any pictures and it had no front license plate to get a picture of Body shop/ins. adjuster appt. first thing in the morning.

After having three cars in less than three years wrecked for me I'm about tired of this sh*t This time though I actually saw it coming (in the rearview mirror) and had a second to decide what to do. I decided not to run over the pedestrians in the crosswalk and took the hit...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Uggh. I got rear ended yesterday and the back of my car is twisted and the frame actually is buckled and has a twist in it that looks like a piece of rope Of course the other vehicle took off before I could get any pictures and it had no front license plate to get a picture of Body shop/ins. adjuster appt. first thing in the morning.

After having three cars in less than three years wrecked for me I'm about tired of this sh*t This time though I actually saw it coming (in the rearview mirror) and had a second to decide what to do. I decided not to run over the pedestrians in the crosswalk and took the hit...
    I can't believe there are that many people out there like that.

Your Best Friend
    I hope karma kicks them in the ass. Sorry to hear.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    We are thinking of trading/ selling our 09' GMC Acadia - and getting the crosstrek

With the cost of nearly $900 just to replace a burnt out headlight(look it up) is BS! This car has been in the shop a ton!

On the other hand my Tundra is bulletproof and plenty of power still with 248,000 miles

Just wonder if it's too under powered? With bikes/ dogs gear

They drive nice and feel solid......
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I regularly drive mine with up to 6 bikes and 5 people with no issue. Kuat NV 4 bike on rear and Vagabond X on the roof.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    With the cost of nearly $900 just to replace a burnt out headlight(look it up) is BS! This car has been in the shop a ton!
    What, this $17 one?
    Vision X Superwhite Halogen Headlight Bulb - JCWhitney
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They probably have HID lights that can be expensive to repair or fix.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Without dealer markup ...

fc
    stoked Administrator

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Custom roof rack and matte finish
    IPA will save America

Your Best Friend
    ...and your resale just plummeted. Can't say I like it.

mtbr member

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Very Jurassic Park-ish. I kinda like it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I kinda like it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Who resells these? I like to drive them into the ground. Looks great for adventurous trips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Isn't that just a wrap anyway? Easy to get back to oem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Diggin' it Francois. I was actually thinking of getting mine done in a satin clear coat over my Khaki when the body shop has to paint the new bumpers at the end of this month when the body work is done. You just put me one step closer.

mtbr member

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    Isn't that just a wrap anyway? Easy to get back to oem.
    That's what I was thinking... if that is indeed the case... super easy.

fc
    stoked Administrator

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lookit the bank of LEDs on the rack. 1 million lumens!!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

I wonder how much off road it can take compared to the Forester?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    At what point did you guys see an increase in mpg? My crosstrek has about 3000 miles and the mpg is starting to go up slightly. Engine not fully broken in yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You won't see a real increase until you change your driving style. This car responds well to being driven like you're 70 years old. I had a short road trip yesterday and just keeping up with traffic on the interstate (at 85-90 mph) dropped my tank average to 20 mpg

mtbr member

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Custom roof rack and matte finish
    I kinda like it. Some one here should bed liner their Subaru.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    You won't see a real increase until you change your driving style. This car responds well to being driven like you're 70 years old. I had a short road trip yesterday and just keeping up with traffic on the interstate (at 85-90 mph) dropped my tank average to 20 mpg
    My thoughts and experience exactly!
    CRAMBA Chairman

Your Best Friend
    The XV hates going over 70mph. It can and will but your mpg drops quickly. Accept what this car is and be happy.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 245