Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 300 of 978
  1. #251
    fc
    fc is offline
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,290
    I've tried dozens of cars in the last year and there has been a new generation of CVT transmissions. They actually work now and are more efficient.

    I drove a 2013 Altima that was very responsive and getting over 35 mpg!

    This CVT on the Subaru XV is really good. It squeezes the most power and torque out of the motor. Also it is more efficient than the manual at 33 mpg vs. 30 mpg for the manual. It has really low drag and seems to coast forever.

    CVTs are generally noisy under high loads. This one is too but not too bad.

    I'm a manual transmission type of guy but just like Volkswagen TDI engines that need a lot of shifting, this car is better as an auto.

    fc
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaMotocross View Post
    How are the CVT transmissions? I love every aspect of this car except the dreaded CVT transmission that 90% of new cars are getting....

    I know Fords and Nissans with CVT's commonly have problems before 100k and are very costly to fix ($4k-5k according to my neighbor and his ford freestyle).

    Don't really feel like getting the manual and dealing with chicagoland traffic either...

  2. #252
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,629
    I owned a 2004 WRX for about 5 years. I absolutely loved that car and it had plenty of power to have some fun. Just for kicks, here is a video of a "race" at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. It was a "snowcross" race meaning you raced on whatever surface was on the track that day. This particular day it was nice and dry, and yes, I know I blew the launch. I still took 2nd place for my class after the entire series of 4 races was over. Oh, and they put out cones to kill the best lines and to make you really work for it.
    MMP "SnowX" - YouTube

    I am at a point in my life now where I just want a good car with great gas mileage and the ability to get me where I need to go. The XV fits that bill nicely.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  3. #253
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23,656
    I don't know, but the GT, Boss and GT500 models have pretty stiff suspension in an attempt to tame the solid rear end, I don't have those problems with my active rear end Camaro(with stiffer aftermarket sways and strut braces), but it too goes around a track faster than an Sti due to the power, brakes, and suspension. If the Sti was sending the same power to the wheels with the same brake capability, I'd most likely be faster on a track. That takes some significant mods starting from 230awhp.

  4. #254
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I've tried dozens of cars in the last year and there has been a new generation of CVT transmissions. They actually work now and are more efficient.

    I drove a 2013 Altima that was very responsive and getting over 35 mpg!

    This CVT on the Subaru XV is really good. It squeezes the most power and torque out of the motor. Also it is more efficient than the manual at 33 mpg vs. 30 mpg for the manual. It has really low drag and seems to coast forever.

    CVTs are generally noisy under high loads. This one is too but not too bad.

    I'm a manual transmission type of guy but just like Volkswagen TDI engines that need a lot of shifting, this car is better as an auto.

    fc
    I'm glad they ditched the 4-speed dog auto, but manuals are just more fun. Now where's our diesel with 6-speed manual stump-puller?

  5. #255
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    What happens when you go around a corner? Does that 1950s rear end hinder the Ford?
    Only 1950s?

    Name:  model_t_rear.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  34.9 KB



    In all serious, the new Mustang is getting good reviews for handling. It's still a live axle, but they did some clever stuff to get it to handle well... not sure what exactly.

  6. #256
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I'm glad they ditched the 4-speed dog auto, but manuals are just more fun. Now where's our diesel with 6-speed manual stump-puller?
    Heck yeah, I'd take on a car payment for an XV with 6 speed manual diesel. It would probably get 40 mpg real world mileage.

    In Europe, they have a Tiguan TDI manual with AWD (stupid Haldex part time, tho... ). I would be into that. I rented a 2.0t gas AWD Tiguan for a job I did once, and I can tell you... even with an automatic (it wasn't DSG, unfortunately) it is still way faster than I need. It was way too easy to stomp it and jump ahead of anybody on the freeway. It was kinda stupid fast for a truck, IMO.

  7. #257
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I've tried dozens of cars in the last year and there has been a new generation of CVT transmissions. They actually work now and are more efficient.

    This CVT on the Subaru XV is really good. It squeezes the most power and torque out of the motor. Also it is more efficient than the manual at 33 mpg vs. 30 mpg for the manual. It has really low drag and seems to coast forever.

    CVTs are generally noisy under high loads. This one is too but not too bad.fc
    How does the automatic CVT get better mileage than the manual transmission?
    Can some explain this result - thanks

  8. #258
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatSix911 View Post
    How does the automatic CVT get better mileage than the manual transmission?
    Can some explain this result - thanks
    Infinitely adjustable gear ratios keep the motor at the ideal operating RPM to maximize efficiency.

    Wheras with a stick, you only have 5 set gear ratios to row through, so the motor isn't always in that happy place of magic and moonbeams.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

  9. #259
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,721
    It's also faster to 60 mph because of no time-wasting between gear shifts! Buuuuuut, I'd still take the 5 speed due to the 50/50 AWD system. Both have great AWD systems though.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  10. #260
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    It's also faster to 60 mph because of no time-wasting between gear shifts! Buuuuuut, I'd still take the 5 speed due to the 50/50 AWD system. Both have great AWD systems though.
    Off course all there cars should really offer the 6-speed manual by now. I too prefer the 50/50 constant AWD and feel like the auto units have a bit of torque steer (I haven't driven the CVT), which I don't like. I also can't stand just sitting there and not shifting, which is weird since I prefer single speed bikes.

  11. #261
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,721
    I am not a huge fan of the newish 6 speed- I wish I didn't feel that way- they changed something, I forget what, compared to the 5 speeds, but it feels a bit more rubbery and vague. Plus the Outbacks and Legacies have that incredibly insulting display on the dash that gives you a big number to tell you what gear you are in. Sorry, but I don't need to look down to see what gear I'm in, it's called muscle memory. And having ears.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  12. #262
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I am not a huge fan of the newish 6 speed- I wish I didn't feel that way- they changed something, I forget what, compared to the 5 speeds, but it feels a bit more rubbery and vague. Plus the Outbacks and Legacies have that incredibly insulting display on the dash that gives you a big number to tell you what gear you are in. Sorry, but I don't need to look down to see what gear I'm in, it's called muscle memory. And having ears.
    I've heard the linkages were changed. I really like the 5-speed on our 09 Impreza - hopefully the Crosstrek feels similar. Our 02 Forester on the other hand, feels like a 1950s Farmall tractor with the slowest synchros around - it just loves to grid when I'm too fast. Both cars do speed shift well at the right RPM.

  13. #263
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I've heard the linkages were changed. I really like the 5-speed on our 09 Impreza - hopefully the Crosstrek feels similar. Our 02 Forester on the other hand, feels like a 1950s Farmall tractor with the slowest synchros around - it just loves to grid when I'm too fast. Both cars do speed shift well at the right RPM.
    My wife's Avant is like that in second gear. One of the clutch pressure plate springs broke, and we drove it like that for way too long, thinking the problem was somewhere else... in the clutch master cylinder. We wore out the second gear syncro. Wups.... and it isn't a big enough problem to sink money into a used tranny swap to fix on a car with 171k miles on it. It's not bad, you just can't slam it into second off the line.

  14. #264
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I've heard the linkages were changed. I really like the 5-speed on our 09 Impreza - hopefully the Crosstrek feels similar. Our 02 Forester on the other hand, feels like a 1950s Farmall tractor with the slowest synchros around - it just loves to grid when I'm too fast. Both cars do speed shift well at the right RPM.
    It feels very similar (maybe exactly the same) as your 09.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  15. #265
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatSix911 View Post
    How does the automatic CVT get better mileage than the manual transmission?
    Can some explain this result - thanks
    It might be as simple as a taller top gear ratio. On manual transmissions, they tend to make the top gear not very tall so you don't have to shift when you want to pass or go up a grade at freeway speeds. A CVT will just move to the proper ratio quickly and on it's own.

    I think it's kinda lame. Just give me the super tall top gear. My '79 Scirocco 5 speed (first year it was out) blew up on me, and I replaced it with a 5 speed from an '83 Diesel Rabbit. Top gear was like a 0.71:1 whereas the Scirocco was 0.78:1 stock. That car got like 38 mpg, back in the day when nothing was that good. It spun at like 2800 rpm at 75 mph.

    I hear that is what they do with the new Corvettes so they pull close to 30 mpg with a big ass V8.

    All else being equal, a manual is still going to pull the most efficiently if the driver short shifts and knows where the engine is pulling best. But, they make compromises to give most folks what they want. In other words, a manual has the least internal friction, but they won't put really tall top gears in them.

  16. #266
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Infinitely adjustable gear ratios keep the motor at the ideal operating RPM to maximize efficiency.

    Wheras with a stick, you only have 5 set gear ratios to row through, so the motor isn't always in that happy place of magic and moonbeams.
    Thanks to all for the explaination - I still want the manual

  17. #267
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,112
    Biggest problem with the manual with the new 2.0 motor is the torque flat spot between 3-4k rpm's. You really need to wind it out to get the most out of it because torque peaks at 4200 and then holds steady up to the mid 5's. With my CVT I have "reasonable" power down low and when I ask for more it jumps right up to the best spot.

    So far with 11k on the clock I'm averaging 27.4 mpg and have seen as high as 36 on extended low speed (45-60 mph) back road trips. Getting over 70 for any length of time puts a hurt on but still keeps it over 28. The biggest hit to mpg has been in really cold air temps, I've seen tanks as low as ~25 or when I have 2 bikes and the ski box on the roof it will run 25/26. Unfortunately my average is low because the car is in and out of NYC five days a week.

  18. #268
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ihaveagibsonsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    970
    The sticker price on my 2013 WRX Base with homelink auto dimming mirror, STI shifter, all weather floor mats, wheel locks and technology package was 27,660 + Tax and Lic. I paid 25,660 + Tax and Lic. A WRX can be had for under 24,500 if you skip all the options and pick up a base model. That's what I wanted but I couldn't find one in world rally blue that had no options so I decided to just pay the extra for the options.

    I was considering a crosstek but seriously, for a couple grand more, you get the best performance sedan out there under 34k(STI's are 35 ;-)

  19. #269
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,914

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Some of us aren't after the best performance sedan available for under 34k. Some of us want a capable car for remote and rough trailheads and/or winter roads that gets good fuel economy and the xv is one of the most capable cars out there (if not the most) that gets better than 30mpg highway.

  20. #270
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    The sticker price on my 2013 WRX Base with homelink auto dimming mirror, STI shifter, all weather floor mats, wheel locks and technology package was 27,660 + Tax and Lic. I paid 25,660 + Tax and Lic. A WRX can be had for under 24,500 if you skip all the options and pick up a base model. That's what I wanted but I couldn't find one in world rally blue that had no options so I decided to just pay the extra for the options.

    I was considering a crosstek but seriously, for a couple grand more, you get the best performance sedan out there under 34k(STI's are 35 ;-)
    Apples and oranges. And for a couple grand more you could get an even better car than the STI. And for a couple grand more you could get an even better car than that car. Where do you stop?

    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Some of us aren't after the best performance sedan available for under 34k. Some of us want a capable car for remote and rough trailheads and/or winter roads that gets good fuel economy and the xv is one of the most capable cars out there (if not the most) that gets better than 30mpg highway.
    This. I've owned a WRX. I even raced it at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah and took second place in my series over 4 races. It was a fun car. It is NOT a versatile car though. Low ground clearance, no cargo room, and about 18-22mpg is not cool.

    The XV is everything the WRX isn't. The only thing they have in common is they are Subarus.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  21. #271
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,721
    Yeah the "only a couple grand more" thing is completely relative- I'd say 75% of my customer's can't even afford the next higher trimlevel of a certain car for an extra $2,000, let alone a whole 'nother performance level for another $6,000.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  22. #272
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Not everybody needs a hopped up turbo either or the increase in insurance rates that comes with all the fun. I do wish they'd keep using the 2.5 as the 2.0 does sound a little weak for such a heavy car.

  23. #273
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    282
    How's that WRX on gas? Come talk to me when you're getting 31+mpg WITH snowboards on the roof over a 200 mile trip.

  24. #274
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,629
    My XV came in today. Tangerine Orange Limited and I already put a Thule roof rack system on it . I'll put the Curt 2" receiver on it tomorrow. Pics to follow, if we aren't buried in snow tomorrow and I wuss out.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  25. #275
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Thought I'd post a couple pics. Definitely loving it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subaru XV Crosstrek-uploadfromtaptalk1364356827055.jpg  

    Subaru XV Crosstrek-uploadfromtaptalk1364356843094.jpg  

    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  26. #276
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Thought I'd post a couple pics. Definitely loving it.
    Nice! I see you're carrying 3 bikes on the roof, how does it feel when driving? E.g. acceleration/handling in cornering?

    thanks,
    iustin

  27. #277
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,407

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Tangerine is a hot color! Congrats!

  28. #278
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by iusty View Post
    Nice! I see you're carrying 3 bikes on the roof, how does it feel when driving? E.g. acceleration/handling in cornering?

    thanks,
    iustin
    Yeah, I put three Thule sidearms on the roof. The center one is a bit tough to get to but I am tall (6'3") so I have an easier time of it than most. I also threw on a 2" receiver so I can use a 4xThule T2 system. Haven't tried that one yet. I also need to hook up my small utility trailer with bikes so I can see how that feels.

    Acceleration is just fine, it is what it is. If I really need to punch it, I just tap the paddle shifter twice and away I go. Cornering is amazing for a car like this. I don't feel much body roll and that's a good thing.

    Several nice things no one mentions. Interior lighting at night is a very nice red. The heater warms up super fast as do the seat heaters. The bluetooth is hard to figure out but I honestly haven't played with it while holding the manual yet.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  29. #279
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Tangerine is a hot color! Congrats!
    I second this, I love the color!

  30. #280
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I second this, I love the color!
    Yeah, just something about that color

    Subaru XV Crosstrek-resize.jpg
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  31. #281
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    May have been posted already, but how is the CVT in this car?

  32. #282
    Smarter Than He Looks
    Reputation: Sinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Thought I'd post a couple pics. Definitely loving it.
    Looks great! Did you consider using the Subaru aero crossbars? They're flat enough on my '03 Forester that my bikes stand pretty straight.

  33. #283
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    Looks great! Did you consider using the Subaru aero crossbars? They're flat enough on my '03 Forester that my bikes stand pretty straight.
    No, I've never really trusted factory racks. I got the Thule aero bars instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    May have been posted already, but how is the CVT in this car?
    It's my first experience with a CVT. It whines a little more than a normal automatic and I keep expecting to feel it "shift" through the gears like a normal automatic but it never does.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  34. #284
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Do the factory racks suck now? My old Forrester has hailed lumber and everything else under the sun without issue.

  35. #285
    Smarter Than He Looks
    Reputation: Sinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    590
    Details of the 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid to be revealed at the NY Auto Show today. I'm intrigued.

  36. #286
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    Details of the 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid to be revealed at the NY Auto Show today. I'm intrigued.
    Not me. Where's our diesel like the rest of the world? I want a stump puller!

  37. #287
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    No, I've never really trusted factory racks. I got the Thule aero bars instead.



    It's my first experience with a CVT. It whines a little more than a normal automatic and I keep expecting to feel it "shift" through the gears like a normal automatic but it never does.
    How's it in stop and go traffic? Those types of scenarios are what I'm most curious about since it's likely I would see a whole lot of that.

  38. #288
    Smarter Than He Looks
    Reputation: Sinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Not me. Where's our diesel like the rest of the world? I want a stump puller!
    I agree with that. You'd think with the success (perceived by me, anyway) of the VW TDIs, Subaru would want to bring a diesel to the US market.

  39. #289
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,914

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Hybrid is kinda interesting but I, too, want the diesel.

  40. #290
    Smarter Than He Looks
    Reputation: Sinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    590
    Crazy, the hybrid gets essentially the same fuel economy as the current offering. Why bother?
    Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid revealed at New York auto show - Autoweek

  41. #291
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,407

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Lame

  42. #292
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Hybrids seem like some overly complicated interim solution on the way to electric cars and often the millage is no better than diesels which can run on old cooking oil.

  43. #293
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,407

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Why don't they just add direct injection to it? Way better gas mileage and more power.....forget the stupid environment killing hybrid nonsense.

  44. #294
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,721
    The only thing I can think of, and this is coming from someone who thinks a Crosstrek Hybrid is dumb, is that perhaps in reality, the hybrid will report much better figures than it's EPA averages. I can't imagine SoA would be that stupid to release it if it was only 3 and 1 mpg better.

    I also don't think the Crosstrek was the best choice for the hybrid. And this is where I usually whine about how we don't get diesels here from Subaru
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  45. #295
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,629
    Haven't had that "pleasure" yet so I can't answer with any authority.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  46. #296
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Hybrids seem like some overly complicated interim solution on the way to electric cars and often the millage is no better than diesels which can run on old cooking oil.
    Unfortunately this was true for many of the older diesels, but many of the new ones do not allow you to run veggie or high % bio diesel in many cases.

  47. #297
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    Unfortunately this was true for many of the older diesels, but many of the new ones do not allow you to run veggie or high % bio diesel in many cases.
    Bummer.

  48. #298
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    428
    I don't get why anyone would spend the extra for a diesel in the US unless you do an insane amount of miles a year.

    If you look at the Jetta, the TDI is ~$2700 more with worse performance than equivalent model in gas.

    mpg = 23, 33 gas vs 33, 42 diesel.

    Current gas price where I live (CO) is $3.5 and diesel $3.85.

    Say you did 15k miles a year the savings are $358 city $215 highway annually on the diesel. If you do 50/50 city/highway you'll save $286 a year.

    It'll take over 9 years to save back the extra you spend on the diesel over the gas. Even if you did 30k miles a year it's still almost 5 years before you start to save a $ from the initial extra cost. If you had to finance at anything above 0% then it would take you even longer to claw back the additional cost.

    IMHO it just doesn't make sense to shell out the extra for such little savings and you also sacrifice performance.

    In Europe where gas prices are so much higher and emission regulations are less strict, then it makes sense, but here, not so much. Just my 2 cents...

  49. #299
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post
    I don't get why anyone would spend the extra for a diesel in the US unless you do an insane amount of miles a year.

    If you look at the Jetta, the TDI is ~$2700 more with worse performance than equivalent model in gas.

    mpg = 23, 33 gas vs 33, 42 diesel.

    Current gas price where I live (CO) is $3.5 and diesel $3.85.

    Say you did 15k miles a year the savings are $358 city $215 highway annually on the diesel. If you do 50/50 city/highway you'll save $286 a year.

    It'll take over 9 years to save back the extra you spend on the diesel over the gas. Even if you did 30k miles a year it's still almost 5 years before you start to save a $ from the initial extra cost. If you had to finance at anything above 0% then it would take you even longer to claw back the additional cost.

    IMHO it just doesn't make sense to shell out the extra for such little savings and you also sacrifice performance.

    In Europe where gas prices are so much higher and emission regulations are less strict, then it makes sense, but here, not so much. Just my 2 cents...
    The diesel doesn't necessarily have worse performance than the gas. The VW Sportwagen is available with the TDI or 5-cyl. The TDI has way more torque which results in a much sportier feeling ride. I think the Golf is available with the 2.0T, which yes, would be 'faster', but not necessarily better 'performing' which is a very subjective measurement.

    I bought a TDI Sportwagen for three main reasons, A) it's nice not having to fill up as often B) better 'performance' than the 5-cyl and C) resale, which you don't account for in your math. I still think the life cycle cost of a diesel vs gas is a wash though since a diesel is typically more expensive to maintain and IF (fingers crossed) you have a problem, it's BIG $$$.

  50. #300
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,407

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    People also report much better mpgs then the EPA tests with tdi's.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •