Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Fun fact: I think this is on other forums but I just learned from a Subaru tech that I work with that the Forester OEM hitch (09-13) works with the XV. I say this because if you go OEM it's a bit cheaper than the XV hitch for some strange reason. By learn, I mean saw him do it

mtbr member
    Just got word today that my wife's XV is en route. Still 6-8 weeks out, though. Gray, Limited, loaded. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Fun fact: I think this is on other forums but I just learned from a Subaru tech that I work with that the Forester OEM hitch (09-13) works with the XV. I say this because if you go OEM it's a bit cheaper than the XV hitch for some strange reason. By learn, I mean saw him do it
    Any 2" options that will work on XV. I'm new to this Subaru stuff.

mtbr member

Hitch

Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Any 2" options that will work on XV. I'm new to this Subaru stuff.
    Curt has a new Crosstrek specific hitch with a 2" receiver.

Curt 13135
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    NateHawk - I'm looking into replacing my ooooold Civic with 220k miles and leaking like a Fox fork. I've narrowed down the choice to the Fit, Crosstrek and Mazda3. I've not driven the Crosstrek, but the Fit was really nice. Ample cargo, excellent MPG and Honda reliability. The wife got a new Outback recently and I'm really impressed. Can you do a quick comparo between the two? Just trying to see if the $5k premium would be worth it on the Subaru.
    It is hard to make too many comparisons. I have owned the fit Since 07 and drove the xv for 20min. i like the fit. It is great but it feels cheaper inside than the xv. I also have the manual which is quicker than the auto. The xv is WAY quieter than the fit. Def worth 5k

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I know the urge to compare the Crosstrek to the 3 is there but don't bother doing it.

I am really impressed with my XV. It's a surprisingly pleasant car to drive, a little noisier on the highway than I'd like but most of that is the OE tires. The mpg is pretty good, I have a little over 1k miles on the car now and am running 28 going round trip in and out of NYC. I'm hoping to bring that up a bit after I change the diff fluids, oil and when we go to summer gas next year. I have already seen 35+ mpg on the road though and for a car with the "wind cheating" profile this has I think that's pretty good!

Anybody that whines about the lack of power just needs to learn to use what's available, don't be afraid to wind the motor up a bit because most of the torque in this thing is between 4200 and 5k.

I can't wait for it to snow

keepin' it rural

Finally got to drive one!...

These thing shave been flying off the shelves her in Vegas and after two failed attempts the dealership was able to keep one on the ground long enough for us to drive. I have to say, after all the talk of no power, (my own concerns included) I felt it was plenty peppy enough. Now, we are just waiting for them to find or order us one with everything we want on it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cute little car that resembles a Volvo XC60 (IMO) but shorter. Not a bad thing (for me anyway) as I love the looks of that little XC60.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    I'm happy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subaru XV Crosstrek-uploadfromtaptalk1355716136611.jpg  

I think the wife and I are going to put our deposit down for one after the new year. delivery will overlap well with paying off my car so we'll still only have one car payment. I think we're going to wind up getting the Limited. Pricing out the builds we want with the Premium vs Limited leaves only a $1500 price difference between the Premium and Limited models. kinda makes sense to just do the upgrade.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Finally picked up my venetian red pearl 5 speed yesterday! I'll try and get some pictures up later. First impression; it drives like a tall car instead of an SUV type feel which I was expecting. The car is pretty peppy down low and has plenty of passing power on the highway. I am very pleased so far and can't wait to put some more miles on it. For those with the stock stereo who thinks it sounds like ****: With the unit OFF pres 1+4+tune to put it in through mode which sounds MUCH better. Some people have found turning loudness off sounds better, but I prefer the sound with it on. To turn that off with the unit ON press 1+6+tune.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I think the wife and I are going to put our deposit down for one after the new year. delivery will overlap well with paying off my car so we'll still only have one car payment. I think we're going to wind up getting the Limited. Pricing out the builds we want with the Premium vs Limited leaves only a $1500 price difference between the Premium and Limited models. kinda makes sense to just do the upgrade.
    I did the same upgrade with my outback. It made no sense to a-la-carte stuff I wanted in my car when a package deal offered more for almost the same $$..
    Enjoy your new ride!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    Finally picked up my venetian red pearl 5 speed yesterday! I'll try and get some pictures up later. First impression; it drives like a tall car instead of an SUV type feel which I was expecting. The car is pretty peppy down low and has plenty of passing power on the highway. I am very pleased so far and can't wait to put some more miles on it. For those with the stock stereo who thinks it sounds like ****: With the unit OFF pres 1+4+tune to put it in through mode which sounds MUCH better. Some people have found turning loudness off sounds better, but I prefer the sound with it on. To turn that off with the unit ON press 1+6+tune.
    Also, a lot of people test the stock radio and think it sounds like crap solely based off the FM radio. It sounds wayyyyy better with BT-a or iPod
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Also, a lot of people test the stock radio and think it sounds like crap solely based off the FM radio. It sounds wayyyyy better with BT-a or iPod
    Coming from a 2010 Golf with Dynaudio system...the XV system does sound very muffled to me. Also, the bass can only be adjusted so far before rattling the door panels.

My planned upgrades are a Pioneer avic-x940bt navigation system with steering wheel controls, upgraded speakers, and underseat subwoofer.

I've already added a hitch and bike rack...will post pics later.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06 View Post
    Coming from a 2010 Golf with Dynaudio system...the XV system does sound very muffled to me. Also, the bass can only be adjusted so far before rattling the door panels.

My planned upgrades are a Pioneer avic-x940bt navigation system with steering wheel controls, upgraded speakers, and underseat subwoofer.

I've already added a hitch and bike rack...will post pics later.
    Do what I just said and switch the EQ to through mode. With the unit OFF press 1+4+tune to switch to through mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    Do what I just said and switch the EQ to through mode. With the unit OFF press 1+4+tune to switch to through mode.
    I did what you said, and it sounds a bit better. The quality of speakers and especially tweeters in the dash, hold it back. Thanks for that though. Any other tweaks like that?

mtbr member
    Here she is with hitch and rack...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did what you said, and it sounds a bit better. The quality of speakers and especially tweeters in the dash, hold it back. Thanks for that though. Any other tweaks like that?
    I have the 4 speaker Kicker upgrade and they sound GREAT. I do want to add the tweeters also though. I have found at higher volume it sounds a bit muffled with loudness on. To turn loudness off with the unit ON press 1+6+tune

Muskoka

Nice!

Here she is with hitch and rack...

The DGM is my favorite color on the XV...looks great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    The DGM is my favorite color on the XV...looks great!
    Thanks! I originally wanted an orange XV, but the only one local was a MT. This one has really grown on me. Makes the XV look classy, but tough at the same time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks! I originally wanted an orange XV, but the only one local was a MT. This one has really grown on me. Makes the XV look classy, but tough at the same time.
    Just saw you post this bike over on the subaruxvforum.com forum . I really like the orange for some reason, but wanted dark grey or venetian red. I ultimately decided on the red despite the stupid light colored interior

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You can't go wrong with DGM or Graphite Gray on any Subaru.

My current favorite, after finally seeing it in person, is the Desert Khaki. Not sure if I would choose it tho if I bought an XV but I love that they offered it.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My wife and I ordered our XV yesterday super happy as it will be my car and she gets our Outback. This also means I was allowed to pick an Orange one The frustrating thing will be the 3 month wait for it to arrive Will post pictures once it arrives.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

mtbr member

Warning

If you like to control your car and slide it around, look elsewhere.

I have the manual. When you let off the gas the engine revs stay up. This means that if you get stuck in the snow you can't do the forward-back thing to work it out because it grinds when going from 1st to reverse.

Furthermore the traction control does NOT turn off, even when the disable button is active. It robs the power. So when you're in the snow it cuts power, eliminating the benefits of AWD.

Basically the care works against you. Its a huge disappointment.

Subaru messed up the drive train on this car IMHO.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think your viscous setup is a little different from the one in the CVT equipped cars. I too found the nanny systems to be more intrusive than I like because you can't even force a drift to get through plow piles at corners, you just point the car straight into the pile and muscle through. I stopped in the middle of my hill and put my foot to the floor and the car wouldn't go anywhere after all the power was cut but when I just eased into it she walked right up like the road was dry. You are right about it killing the fun though, I even started a thread on the XV forum about it.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast