Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    There are quite a few in my town and the nearest dealer is more than 100mi away
    I know but come to NH, ME or VT and you will see nothing but subbies there. I would think the harsher climate states would be the primary market and that dark interior would be more fitting for that climate and road conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I know but come to NH, ME or VT and you will see nothing but subbies there. I would think the harsher climate states would be the primary market and that dark interior would be more fitting for that climate and road conditions.
    I have not found it to matter much in the cold. My Fit is black all around. Sucks in TX but winters up north it is just as cold as my last car that had tan cloth.

My dealer told me that subie tends to alternate the exterior and interior colors to appease different people in the next model year because I think some of the exterior colors would look better with dark interior than tan. For me it's mostly aesthetics. Esp since I am moving north in about a month and won't be worrying about the heat anymore

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Picking up a Venetian Red Pearl 5 speed in about a month or so. I was looking for something good on gas, standard transmission, AWD, and could tow my motorcycles/dirtbikes. Everything had only 1 or 2 of the 4, but the XV has everything I'm looking for. Very excited to pick it up. I got the optional cross bars and trailer hitch. I plan on tossing the mountain bike and snowboards on the roof.

ballbuster
    Are not Subarus more likely so be seen in colder places with a lot of snow and ice rather than in the heat of the South?
    Loads of Subies around here in the NorCal Bay Area. Lots of folks around here like to go to Tahoe for the weekend in winter.

It never snows here more than a very light dusting once a decade, but we do get crazy rain.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Are not Subarus more likely so be seen in colder places with a lot of snow and ice rather than in the heat of the South?
    Plenty of Subie's down here in S.Florida too. Lot's of WRX and Fozzy's and the new OB is gaining momentum also...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Also, no air suspension, which was the coolest thing about the A6 Allroad.

That said, the A4 Allroad will be like 800 pounds lighter than the A6 Allroad.
    Google "Audi Allroad reliability air suspension" and it's is the #1 "issue" with that car.

It kept me far away from buying one way back when. Lexus has/had the same issues with their Land Cruiser version LX470 with "AHC" system. Extremely expensive to fix once you develop issues.

Bring over the TDI version A4 Allroad - then we're talking!

ballbuster

Oh, I fully get that

Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Google "Audi Allroad reliability air suspension" and it's is the #1 "issue" with that car.

It kept me far away from buying one way back when. Lexus has/had the same issues with their Land Cruiser version LX470 with "AHC" system. Extremely expensive to fix once you develop issues.

Bring over the TDI version A4 Allroad - then we're talking!
    Not to mention, most owners drive it at full height all the time. What happens is when the car hits 30 mph, it drops to the lowest setting, then lifts back up when it stops, putting loads of wear on the system.

There are aftermarket bags that last way longer than stock, as well. One company has a lifetime warranty on the bags. You wear them out, they send you new ones, you send the dead ones back. They're actually pretty easy to change out for anybody with moderate wrenching skills.

Heh... did you know you can lower the Allroad in software? You can use the VAG.COM to fool the computer into thinking the car is higher than it is, so the computer dumps it down lower than stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    ^ your best bet is to simply ask your salesperson again. They shouldn't mind giving you an update if you ask. Ask if there's a VIN yet in addition to the VON. That's a good sign if there is
    They keep telling me they don't have the VIN. Does this mean the car hasn't shipped yet or is the salesman just being lazy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    They keep telling me they don't have the VIN. Does this mean the car hasn't shipped yet or is the salesman just being lazy?
    If they don't have the VIN it means I highly highly doubt your car will be there before the end of the month like they said. I doubt its laziness, it takes like 10 seconds to check your order status; I'm just not sure why they told you it would arrive so quick. Factory order times on XV's have been horrible like I mentioned earlier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here it is

I'll get some more pics of it tomorrow with bikes on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Awesome car! Wheels somewhat remind me of my 12' Focus at a glance.

Post your impressions later on.

Btw-you have a ghost in the back seat

Nice car!! Looks good in that color.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Here are a few pics of my Venetian red pearl 5 speed. They are from the dealer that is shipping the car to my current dealer. Hoping to pick it up in a couple weeks. They need to ship it and then order/install a hitch.

mtbr member
    Just saw one of these yesterday being driven around! Pretty sharp car if I do say so myself.

mtbr member
    Ahhhh, nice to see more XV owners now that are also fellow MTBers

I'll have one for sure.. in 2 years

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Awesome car! Wheels somewhat remind me of my 12' Focus at a glance.

Post your impressions later on.

Btw-you have a ghost in the back seat
    She's a cute ghost that will outride most 13 year old girl ghosts

Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Nice car!! Looks good in that color.
    As soon as I saw that color I knew if I got the car it had to be in Khaki. I like the blue too but the thought of getting into the car after a muddy ride and having that tan interior made me shiver. There was just no way I could do orange and the dark grey is just kinda meh

Impressions - It's much quieter inside than I expected. I've had Subies for fifteen years and have been in a few of the new Imprezas so I expected the typical drone on the highway but it's not there. This car has an almost full plastic skid plate underneath and the exhaust is under that so it's isolated from the cabin and there is a bunch of sound dampening material under the hood, on the firewall and the underbody has a rubbery undercoating that seems to help some too. Unfortunately the tires are noisy but I'll burn through them in year and come up with something better for 8 month use. The steering, for electric rather than otherwise, has a really good feel. On center is good and as you are cornering there is a fair bit of resistance that my Outback doesn't have and the electro-hydraulic that I had in my Challenger definitely didn't have. I like it.

I only have 140 miles on it so a little more time and I'll get back to ya with some more thoughts. For now here's some pics -

Hi Thelma

keepin' it rural

aftermarket upgrades

So with the lack of power being one of the biggest complaints in reviews i've been reading. I wonder if there be third party performance chip upgrades and what not to squeeze out more HP?

Quote Originally Posted by summud View Post
    So with the lack of power being one of the biggest complaints in reviews i've been reading. I wonder if there be third party performance chip upgrades and what not to squeeze out more HP?
    There is no lack of power unless you are trying to compensate for something.

... and if we just ...

There is no lack of power unless you are trying to compensate for something.
    True that
    Everything is relative and if you want power than Subaru is not really a brand associated with that, the WRX STi excepted of course..

keepin' it rural
    My small penis aside, I don't see anything wrong with having a little more horsepower in a car that I plan on loading down with gear and driving through the mountains. Besides some of the chips I was looking at claim to increase horsepower as well as gaining a few MPG, how is that a bad thing?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by summud View Post
    That isn't really going to do jack squat. If you had a turbo and could simply up the boost, take more air in, mix it with more fuel from the injectors, then yes, but "chip upgrades" are ridiculously unhelpful with a NA engine. Some people think if they put on an intake, flash the computer, and put on an exhaust, they can turn a 150hp engine into a 250hp engine. It doesn't work like that, and about the only place it does is with turbo stuff, but even that would be too big of a jump to maintain any kind of volumetric efficiency and the injectors would likely not support it. You can't get something from nothing.

And tunes that 'increase mileage" are suspect as well. If the manufacturer knew of a quick and easy way to "increase mileage", don't you think they'd do that? Some of the ECU upgrades for cars are reported to increase mileage and power. How? By leaning out the mixture and allowing it to burn hotter. Realize that some of these engines (especially turbo) run very hot and need the extra fuel for cooling. So when a tuner looks at the mixture and see's how "rich" it is, sometimes they don't fully consider WHY it's so rich, and soon you end up wrecking the engine because they squeezed too much from it.

BTW, I would flash and tune my WRX all the time. It was fun. But that was a different animal (with mods) and it's not the same thing.

Some cars like 335s and others have fairly mild tunes that can be "turned up", again due to the turbo-nature of the car. Others still have "chips" for people to buy, but those are more for suckers.

You want to make the car faster? Put in stiffer anti-sways. You can usually do that easily under the cost of a ECU flash/chip. You can often get an entire stage-1 kit for suspension under that. Then save up for coil-overs or go with an inexpensive coil-over package. Lots of people chop springs because they like the "look", but it doesn't do nearly as much for traction and handling compared to the above, and of course you'll be far quicker in corners with a stage-1 handling package, heck, just the sways along usually.
    Last edited by Jayem; 12-03-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Muskoka
    maybe the dude that posted the side by side pics of his car could edit to post them beneath each other and then subsequent posts would be readable?
    http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog
    2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL
    2015 RSD Mayor...loves the white stuff!

I got to test drive one yesterday with the cvt. i liked it. Plenty peppy for me, and the space was good. i like the ergonomics, the light/wiper controls are the same as my Honda. I don't think my xm skydock will fit in the car, but I've been thinking about dropping that service anyway. The handling is much better than I expected. It felt pretty sporty railing it around a roundabout. Also very quiet in the rough road situations. The seat back protectors are going to be an essential accessory for bike hauling.

I wish there were some dirt roads around where I could have gotten a feel for that part of it, so I'll have to trust that it's pretty capable there. I like the standard seat/wiper/mirror heaters. Makes it a good winter vehicle.

We are gonna order one and were told that lead time for orders is now 4mo because some dealers were abusing the 6wk order lead times before. 7500mi oil change intervals are nice. Engine layout is also nice. Oil filter setup is the best I've seen (minor, but after owning an 88 Toyota tercel that required getting under the car to change the oil filter I notice these things).

My car will be paid off in April so right now I'd like to have the house sold before we order. Might be a tall order but I don't want too much on our plate at once. Moving halfway across the country is expensive.
    NateHawk - I'm looking into replacing my ooooold Civic with 220k miles and leaking like a Fox fork. I've narrowed down the choice to the Fit, Crosstrek and Mazda3. I've not driven the Crosstrek, but the Fit was really nice. Ample cargo, excellent MPG and Honda reliability. The wife got a new Outback recently and I'm really impressed. Can you do a quick comparo between the two? Just trying to see if the $5k premium would be worth it on the Subaru.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hello All,

New to the group. I have had my Crosstrek for three weeks and driven it over 1,500 miles in various conditions. It's a great little SUV, with great road feel, performance and mpg. My previous car was a 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT turbo. It went like a rocket (250hp), but got about 19mpg mixed. The Crosstrek obviously does not have that power, but gets WAY better gas mileage and uses regular gas (my turbo was premium only). Ignore the negative reviews that slam the Crosstrek for poor power. Yes, it's not an SRX (duh), but guess what, it's very peppy off the line and only lags a *little* in mid-range acceleration, but not nearly enough to make you think it cannot handle all conditions. I have had zero problems in traffic, up hills, merging, passing, etc. And it is also fun to drive, with good cornering and a sporty look that does not make you feel you are driving a stodgy compact. All in all, I am very happy with the Crosstrek. Oh, one minor point: the suspension is indeed stiff, real stiff. You will feel the road. For me, this took some getting used to, because I am not the spring chicken I once was. But it really does not detract from the overall high marks for the car, and no doubt will pay off when I go off-road. Well worth a test drive.

mtbr member
    For those wondering about lead times--Not long ago I read an interview with the US ceo of Subaru - A few things stood out-He said he does not hold very many days of inventory compaired to industry standard/other car makes keep months of inventory available - Subaru does not - Subaru has a very small part of the market but a very dedicated customer base
    Interesting stuff if you like that sort of thing...Sorry I could not find the original article but found this one:
    INTERVIEW: Fuji Heavy Bets on US Market to Drive Subaru Sales Growth - WSJ.com

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast