Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    We might be looking at one of these VX crosstrek things to replace my wifes truck in year or two.

It'll be a nice compliment to the JK I have. The crosstrek looks like it'll be able to handle some decently bad forest service roads and it gets decent mileage for a fulltime awd system. The big issue will be if there is enough leg/head room. The previous gen Imprezas were too tight and we ended up passing on them because of that.
    I strongly urge you to go check out the new ones...way more room that the previous model years...
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

keepin' it rural

UPDATE...sorta

i was in contact with our local subaru dealer and they told me they had 3 coming in, i asked them to give me a call when they came in, but apparently they arrived on a friday evening and were all gone on saturday!! Dang! looks like its gonna be harder to get ahold of one of these things than i thought! On a good note they have one they are saving back for some local car show, so i can go check it out in person, but cant test drive it or try to purchase it til after the show.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What state do you live in? I'm the internet sales guy for my dealer, we have like 3 in stock with another 3-4 showing up over the next two weeks. I'm in eastern PA, if you are remotely nearby, you're welcome to PM me for more info!

I got to test drive one yesterday with the cvt. i liked it. Plenty peppy for me, and the space was good. i like the ergonomics, the light/wiper controls are the same as my Honda. I don't think my xm skydock will fit in the car, but I've been thinking about dropping that service anyway. The handling is much better than I expected. It felt pretty sporty railing it around a roundabout. Also very quiet in the rough road situations. The seat back protectors are going to be an essential accessory for bike hauling.

I wish there were some dirt roads around where I could have gotten a feel for that part of it, so I'll have to trust that it's pretty capable there. I like the standard seat/wiper/mirror heaters. Makes it a good winter vehicle.

We are gonna order one and were told that lead time for orders is now 4mo because some dealers were abusing the 6wk order lead times before. 7500mi oil change intervals are nice. Engine layout is also nice. Oil filter setup is the best I've seen (minor, but after owning an 88 Toyota tercel that required getting under the car to change the oil filter I notice these things).

My car will be paid off in April so right now I'd like to have the house sold before we order. Might be a tall order but I don't want too much on our plate at once. Moving halfway across the country is expensive.

keepin' it rural
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    What state do you live in? I'm the internet sales guy for my dealer, we have like 3 in stock with another 3-4 showing up over the next two weeks. I'm in eastern PA, if you are remotely nearby, you're welcome to PM me for more info!
    thanks for the offer but im in Las Vegas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    No problem.

Also, for anyone who is thinking of ordering one: the wait time for factory orders is bumped up to at least 4 months now. So if you find one in stock you like, snag it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I test drove one the other day. Like everyone else said it could use a little more power. Comfortable interior that makes sense. INot really nough rooom for me to sleep in the back. I didn't actually try though. It had a little stiffer/sportier suspension than what I am looking for do 300mile trips for work.

mtbr member
    No problem.

Also, for anyone who is thinking of ordering one: the wait time for factory orders is bumped up to at least 4 months now. So if you find one in stock you like, snag it!
    Ugh! I hope that is not true. We test drove one today for my wife, and were told much shorter lead times. We really liked it. But no order placed yet, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Very true. Sorry. If your dealer has one in stock that isn't what you are looking for, you can ask them to trade with another dealer. There's a decent amount out there, at least in my area, that I've been doing that with success for most clients.

Factory orders usually take 5-8 weeks. But they changed that like a week ago to 4 months, and I definitely believe that. If you were told otherwise either your salesperson didn't get the memo or he/she is being less than truthful.

We have customers who pre ordered XV's before they were released, who are still waiting for cars. The crazy thing is we've seen identical cars to these ordered cars being delivered as stock vehicles to other stores! Its ridiculous. Their distribution system is effed- I'm not sure why, other than the company is growing so fast that they can't keep up? But that isn't an excuse for neglecting faithful customers who pre ordered without even seeing one in person.

Anyway, this may be a no no for me as an employee to say on a public forum, but I figured it is best said so that none of you are disappointed. If your dealer doesn't want to try to dealer trade for you, try another dealer before factory ordering.

mtbr member
    Thanks, XJaredX. Good info to know.

I found two of the exact models that we are looking for within New England. We'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to the mtb scene, but I actually just purchased an xv crosstrek a couple days ago from a dealer in NJ but they had to get it from another dealer so I'm waiting for the arrival of my new car! I've been looking for a car that could fit all my needs as a commuter, biker, drummer, and a good road trip car and this fit the bill! They are out there if you do your research and find one like I did! I suggest if you are ready to buy and find one that you jump on it asap because I've been seeing the crosstreks leave my local dealer within one day upon arrival! good luck to anyone else looking for one! ill be sure to post pics or answer any questions when mine comes in!

Quote Originally Posted by kdrchuck View Post
    I test drove one the other day. Like everyone else said it could use a little more power.
    Not like everyone else. I think it's fine. It's an economy car.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Is that an Allroad resurrect for the masses? If built in NA thank you I am going to pass...
    Audi is bringing the Allroad back to the US, but it will be an A4 Avant, not an A6. Also, no air suspension, which was the coolest thing about the A6 Allroad.

That said, the A4 Allroad will be like 800 pounds lighter than the A6 Allroad.

Getting off topic here. The Allroad is probably a $45k car, compared to the Subie which is half that.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Not like everyone else. I think it's fine. It's an economy car.
    Heh... 20 years ago, a car that went 0-60 in 9.5 seconds was considered to be pretty dang peppy. An 8 second car was considered fast.

Now we whine if our cars don't go 0-60 in 8 seconds.

ballbuster
    No problem.

What configurations have the huge wait time? Manual transmissions? Option packages?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    What configurations have the huge wait time? Manual transmissions? Option packages?
    ALL of them. As far as XV's go, I mean. It's ridiculous. All Japanese-made cars (except Forester, which you can't factory order anymore for '13 due to switchover to '14 production soon) are listed at 4 month ETA, all Indiana-made stuff 3 months. Oh, BRZ's are all listed as May 2013 ETA!

This was just announced October 25th so I have no idea how accurate it is- my hope is that the cars will show up earlier than anticipated. And again, it only affects people who special order a car. I just wanted to spread the word on here- if you see an XV you like, jump on it, unless you can wait til near springtime.

They don't give us a reason- which lends credence to my theory that maybe they are purposely overstating the estimates, as that may be better than telling a customer "6-8 weeks" and then having it turn into 16 weeks.

They are consistently outselling themselves at least every year since I've been selling them, so I think maybe they are at a point where they are in need of more production capabilities. The '14 Forester being built in Indiana should help that, I hope. And yes, I sell them and would gladly buy an Indiana-made Subaru. I don't know why people get all weird about that.
    Last edited by XJaredX; 11-12-2012 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ordered my Crosstrek just before they bumped it out to the 4 month wait time. Heard back from the salesman a few days after that and the order had been accepted and a few days later that it was approved. Now they're telling me it will be in before the end of the month but they can't give me any better info than that. I have the VON and was wondering if there's any way to use that to get more details from SOA. I had to order one because it seems to be just about impossible to get a Limited with the black interior and moonroof. Why would Subaru even consider a car like this with that light tan interior?

Being carless SUX! I have only ridden once since my Challenger got wrecked by an oblivious woman running a stop sign at double the speed limit at the end of September

Heh, if you need a BRZ my dealer has three of them waiting for a new home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ^ your best bet is to simply ask your salesperson again. They shouldn't mind giving you an update if you ask. Ask if there's a VIN yet in addition to the VON. That's a good sign if there is

Dissolved member
    It should not be that hard to buy an economy car in 2012.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It should not be that hard to buy an economy car in 2012.
    Um, it is if the manfacturer can't keep up with demand

ballbuster

Obviously....

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Why would Subaru even consider a car like this with that light tan interior?
    ... you don't live in a place that gets a lot of sun and heat.

I had a Scirocco with black leather interior, and it sucked every time I got in that thing, even with towels on the seats. My behind -> Those things left barbecue grill marks on my legs when I wore shorts.

Now, my car has tan pleather, and it's a lot better, but still sometimes singes my behind. At least the pleather cleans up really easily. If I get in my car with a muddy skunk stripe from riding, I either change my clothes, or put a towel down.

They don't give us a reason- which lends credence to my theory that maybe they are purposely overstating the estimates, as that may be better than telling a customer "6-8 weeks" and then having it turn into 16 weeks.
    my dealer told me that part of the wait time increase was because some dealers were abusing the special order and ordering a popular model themselves before the customer came in and asked for one.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Why would Subaru even consider a car like this with that light tan interior?
    You should hear how pissed people are at Ford for NOT offering light cloth upholstery in Texas for their c-max hybrid. My wife's jeep has tan leather and while it's not as bad as black leather it will still burn your skin. And 4yrs in Texas really took its toll on the stuff. Lots of cracking on the seats and door panels, the steering wheel wrap is floppy. Heat is not friendly to leather. My Fit has some leather accents. The leather on my shift knob is falling off. Thankfully I can replace it easily.

When we get an xv crosstrek, I am thinking of getting some high quality washable seat covers. Maybe a neoprene or something. Just because sometimes I do get wet or muddy and don't have a change of clothes with me.

Dissolved member
    Are not Subarus more likely so be seen in colder places with a lot of snow and ice rather than in the heat of the South?

Are not Subarus more likely so be seen in colder places with a lot of snow and ice rather than in the heat of the South?
    There are quite a few in my town and the nearest dealer is more than 100mi away

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast