Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    The Outback is a couple grand more, gets worse gas mileage, and is frankly more space than I need for my wife, myself, and our dog.

If I had children, I'd probably go for an Outback, but the Impreza is the more practical car for us.

Different strokes....
    Exactly. I like theXV but my next vehicle will be an outback. Will need the extra space.
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Is it just me or did the Forester start out a lot like the XV Crosstrek before it turned into the monster it is today?
    I like to ride bikes.

Was I the only one who grew up just fine in a family with small cars? We made long road trips annually in Cavalier-sized cars. I don't understand why people think a kid or two requires a big vehicle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Was I the only one who grew up just fine in a family with small cars? We made long road trips annually in Cavalier-sized cars. I don't understand why people think a kid or two requires a big vehicle.
    Seriously. The only thing that I will say that goes against this theory, is that if you haven't really experienced them in the past few years, modern infant and child car seats are absolutely massive. A lot of people move to midsize cars simply because they can't fit a child seat behind them (mostly taller people if we're talking modern cars of the past few years). Especially when the convertible seats are still rear facing and reclined.

I had to give up my beloved SF Forester (which was in shockingly wonderful condition) when we found out baby # 2 was on the way, because at only 6 ft tall my seat was all the way back in that car and my knee would still be against the dash, so I could make zero concessions to a child seat behind me.

Baby seats aside, the magical solution to not having to buy a larger car for the 3 times a year you actually need a larger car, is a cargo box for the roof. We have a Thule Atlantis and it's only like 16 cu. ft. and is amazing how much we can fit in there.

mtbr member
    Bigger vehicles do tend to make long trips easier. For example...my wife, 21 month old, and I loaded up my 3-door Rabbit to head up to North GA for 4 or so days. Cargo space inside gets sucked up quickly so I end up putting quite a bit on the roof in a cargo bag (mainly the stroller and a few of my biking things). It is kind of tedious getting the bag up there, loading it, strapping it down, etc. Then when I get to the destination I have to unload and unstrap it so the empty bag doesn't flap around when I drive. Thankfully I am tall so I don't need a step stool or whatever but I can see it being a pain in the ass for shorter folks. MPG on the highway suffers quite a bit as well. I averaged around 21mpg highway cruising at or just below the speed limit.

In the past we had done a longer road trip in my Passat wagon with way more crap. The interior swallowed it all and there was no change in fuel economy.

Long story short...a larger vehicle does make things easier but it isn't a necessity. If you don't do a ton of long road trips then the overall advantage goes to going with the smaller car. If you are on the road a ton with your family then it may be advantageous to go with a larger car.
    Signature

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I had to go look up dimensions on the car I grew up in (1988 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight). That was a boat (and underpowered... 160HP? really?) back then, but now I see that that car was just about the same size (interior space) as my current car (2012 Mazdaspeed 3). I think cars, in general, have gotten rather fat in recent history for my car to be considered "midsize" yet be as big as a former "full size." We did road trips every summer in that car and we NEVER had a problem with space. I think people today think they need to bring more than they actually need when traveling. I mean my wife and I hauled all of our vacation crap and 13 cases (156 bottles) of wine back home last year in her 3 and were still not crowded....
    Fat guys need bikes too.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    Too much money for that small of a car...You can get an Outback which IS a superior vehicle to the Impreza...
    Size doesn't have much to do with quality and price. You can get big crappy cars new if you really want.

I'd rather have smaller higher quality cars that are well designed, well built and well equipped.

Seriously. I hate driving big cars. I drive an F550 13,000 pound truck for work all the time. I get enough 'big' in my life.

I can pile my wife, two kids two adult bikes, two kid bikes, and a week's worth of gear for a road trip vacation in our Audi A4 Avant wagon, and it's fine, and that was before I bought a roof box. I'm not exactly sure why folks think they need three times that cargo room for just themselves for a weekend, but some do. I guess if I were into sea kayaking or kiteboarding I might want more room.

Some folks just grew up in Chevy Suburbans, and think that you can't do with less room than that, or something.

Camping at Sea Otter 2012:

Last edited by pimpbot; 09-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Muskoka
    Waiting for this...

Bit larger than Impreza, probably similar to Outback but with an actual functional full length roof rail system instead of that butt ugly and totally useless piece of shiite on the Outback. Much as I love Subarus, this may have too many pluses ( including diesel) to pass up.

link...
    2015 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack will be listed price, reviews & spesification, pictures Worldautomodification

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Waiting for this...

Bit larger than Impreza, probably similar to Outback but with an actual functional full length roof rail system instead of that butt ugly and totally useless piece of shiite on the Outback. Much as I love Subarus, this may have too many pluses ( including diesel) to pass up.

link...
    2015 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack will be listed price, reviews & spesification, pictures Worldautomodification
    If they offered that in the states in 4motion TDI, i'd buy that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
    I would not buy a first model year car. Too many problems. Plus, Subie's are known for head gasket issues.
    The former is outdated info by about 25 years and the latter outdated by about 10 years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    The former is outdated info by about 25 years and the latter outdated by about 10 years.
    Actually that's wrong, first year model cars are plagued with various issues. Most of the time the design is solid, but parts components from suppliers are usually at fault. New extensive accelerated lab have been a major improvement in reliability, but even today the first and second year warranty claims are usually a cars fine tuning platform. Warranty claim numbers are reviewed, the problems with the highest amount of claims take top priority. The manufacturer then investigates and usually it means going to a supplier to have them make their part a little different.

The subuaru head gasket problem of the late 90's and early 2000's is a classic example of this. The suppliers promised this awsome new head gasket which some car companies tested and switched too. But then after a few years problems started to arise, subaru finally switched to a new composite head gasket around 2003ish which has proven much better. Subaru axed the old part and now if you go to the dealer for a new head gasket, the parts system shows the updated part.

mtbr member
    I would want more real world time on the new 2.0 powerplant before I buy. Let the early adopters work out the bugs.

The Golf/Jetta Allroad thing looks pretty cool...although it is extremely lame to even offer that in FWD.
    Signature

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    The roof rails on the OB have been changed for MY 2013 and the crossbars are further apart than before. I don't use the roof rails on my OB so I could care less, but I see the problem for those who do, as the crossbars are too closely spaced together on the 2010/11/12 models.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    The roof rails on the OB have been changed for MY 2013 and the crossbars are further apart than before. I don't use the roof rails on my OB so I could care less, but I see the problem for those who do, as the crossbars are too closely spaced together on the 2010/11/12 models.
    That's only one problem with that abomination. Worse is that one cannot fit aftermarket rail grabbers which is what one needs for water sports. Carry 2 canoes and you need 72" bars, ideally widely spaced. Roof rails like what Mercedes and VW and (formerly older Subaru Outbacks) are far more versatile for this and everything else. For some one that as you say doesn't use the rack no big deal. For those like me, its a deal breaker.

Dissolved member
    Waiting for this...
    Is that an Allroad resurrect for the masses? If built in NA thank you I am going to pass...

That's only one problem with that abomination. Worse is that one cannot fit aftermarket rail grabbers which is what one needs for water sports. Carry 2 canoes and you need 72" bars, ideally widely spaced. Roof rails like what Mercedes and VW and (formerly older Subaru Outbacks) are far more versatile for this and everything else. For some one that as you say doesn't use the rack no big deal. For those like me, its a deal breaker.
    My mom has the previous Gen3 OB and those rails are nicer. The only thing you can do on the new OB is to take the rails of and fit, IIRC, Thule towers in their place and than fit wider cross rails on them. Subaru missed the boat with their "clever" design..

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Subaru missed the boat with their "clever" design..
    Exactly! 'Too clever by half " I think is the expression. They should try KISS.
    Oddly enough, the current Tribeca has a very nice set of roof rails!

Yes and the Tribeca is an outgoing model if I heard it right..For the American market SOA feels the need to make the OB look more like an SUV while in Europe the OB looks more like the VW with similar roof rails as the VW too. The OB sits also lower to the ground and has self leveling rear suspension...
    For us car nuts in the US we get the short straw...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Is that an Allroad resurrect for the masses? If built in NA thank you I am going to pass...
    I would guess hecho en Mexico like all the other current Jettas...unless it is on the new MKVII platform then MAYBE we will get a German made version. If memory serves the MKIV Jetta wagon was manufactured in Germany. Crossing my fingers with this new Allroad thing.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I agree

I agree. The outback keeps getting bigger and bigger. I think it's gotten too big to be quite honest. If it continues to grow then the XV will be my next vehicle instead of an outback.
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNickels View Post
    I agree. The outback keeps getting bigger and bigger. I think it's gotten too big to be quite honest. If it continues to grow then the XV will be my next vehicle instead of an outback.
    It's like a half an inch shorter than the 2005-09. Granted, it is wider, and a little taller. But usually bigger = less efficient. In this case, it's bigger but more efficient and faster. The only sucky thing is yeah, the handling isn't as brisk as the 05-09. And styling, I always liked the 05-09, but the 2010 plus styling is the result of modern crash regulations, so I guess such is a modern car.

... and if we just ...

The big improvement in the new OB is the interior space, as it is much bigger inside while keeping the dimensions on the outside within inches of the previous model. The new OB just looks bigger than it is, as it actually is an inch shorter than the Gen3.

mtbr member
    I would love to snatch one

But no can do at this time!!

keepin' it rural

video review

Here is a video i found that has some decent info on the Crosstrek.

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek exposed: Everything you've ever wanted to know - YouTube

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    We might be looking at one of these VX crosstrek things to replace my wifes truck in year or two.

It'll be a nice compliment to the JK I have. The crosstrek looks like it'll be able to handle some decently bad forest service roads and it gets decent mileage for a fulltime awd system. The big issue will be if there is enough leg/head room. The previous gen Imprezas were too tight and we ended up passing on them because of that.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast