Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ^^ I've said it before, I think the sweet spot is right at 62. Every time I've done an Interstate run with this car the mileage has sucked.

After the super low mpg run on Sunday I squeaked out the rest of the tank on my commute (in and out of NYC) yesterday and managed to ease the avg up to 23.9 for the tank. The worst in the 46k miles I've had the car. It took 15.56 gallons and wasn't sputtering but I bet it only had a mile or two left in it.

mtbr member
    I average 36 mpg on the run from LA to South OC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I wonder how much off road it can take compared to the Forester?
    Same platform. They're both based on the Impreza and have 8.7" of clearance. The Crosstrek is very capable off road and I took mine to horrible places and did horrible things with it. I just wished you could completely shut off VDC sometimes.

mtbr member
    I've found the mpg to really depend on the headwinds. On long drives here (~300 miles) at altitude I'm getting 26-31 mpg cruising around 72mph.

I've only driven it on plain 'ol dirt roads, but from what I've seen on youtube it's pretty capable offroad

definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Awhile back on the XV forum someone was saying that they'd broken something suspension-related (can't remember what), and Subaru wouldn't warranty it because he'd installed rallylights and skidplate which meant he was using the car improperly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Awhile back on the XV forum someone was saying that they'd broken something suspension-related (can't remember what), and Subaru wouldn't warranty it because he'd installed rallylights and skidplate which meant he was using the car improperly.
    There were extenuating circumstances to that, mainly the fact that he took the ABS fuse out to completely disable VDC letting the car get more lateral forces on turns than the car would normally allow, thus snapping on of his drive axles(IIRC.) The lesson: don't remove your ABS fuse and do lateral slides in rally cross fields.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

FATBOY
    Carve

Orgasmic Orange Crosstrek

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I need to buy the longer strap for the rear wheel from KUAT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think it looks awesome!
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well traded the wife's car in at the end of December and purchased her a 2014 forester for our first family car (first child is due this summer). Well the crosstrek is the car I really wanted when I bought my 2011 impreza outback sport. Had my impreza almost completely paid off and had some hail damage and some dings in the doors thanks to parking in hospital parking lots and Medicaid patients not caring whose car they hit with their doors. Was able to use my ASHA discount (similar to the other discount folks use) and since we had just bought a car at the end of 2013 and me being a tough negotiator I was able to trade the impreza in and get a 2014 crosstrek limited in tangerine for a car payment that was $125 less per month

I was worried about the lack of engine power. I had a manual transmission before on my impreza so I was concerned that the cvt would be underpowered as others had complained it would be. I have the steering wheel shifters as well hut haven't bothered to use them. I must say the cvt has plenty of pep for in city and interstate driving. I normally drive the interstate to and from work with about 10 miles of stop and go city driving. I average 75-80 mph on the interstate and I drive like a typical Columbus Ohio Pittsburgh pa driver would drive (so heavy on the accelerator) and I'm averaging 28-31 mpg with around 2000 miles on the crosstrek so far.

I must say I love this car! It's what I wanted in my impreza outback sport! I've taken it on some sandy/dirt/muddy clay roads in South Carolina and Georgia and it's handled as well as my 99 jeep wrangler. Can't say much about the handling in snow but if it handles even half as good as my impreza did during our bad ice storm this year we had then I'll he happy.

Love this car!
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNickels View Post
    Well traded the wife's car in at the end of December and purchased her a 2014 forester for our first family car (first child is due this summer). Well the crosstrek is the car I really wanted when I bought my 2011 impreza outback sport. Had my impreza almost completely paid off and had some hail damage and some dings in the doors thanks to parking in hospital parking lots and Medicaid patients not caring whose car they hit with their doors. Was able to use my ASHA discount (similar to the other discount folks use) and since we had just bought a car at the end of 2013 and me being a tough negotiator I was able to trade the impreza in and get a 2014 crosstrek limited in tangerine for a car payment that was $125 less per month

I was worried about the lack of engine power. I had a manual transmission before on my impreza so I was concerned that the cvt would be underpowered as others had complained it would be. I have the steering wheel shifters as well hut haven't bothered to use them. I must say the cvt has plenty of pep for in city and interstate driving. I normally drive the interstate to and from work with about 10 miles of stop and go city driving. I average 75-80 mph on the interstate and I drive like a typical Columbus Ohio Pittsburgh pa driver would drive (so heavy on the accelerator) and I'm averaging 28-31 mpg with around 2000 miles on the crosstrek so far.

I must say I love this car! It's what I wanted in my impreza outback sport! I've taken it on some sandy/dirt/muddy clay roads in South Carolina and Georgia and it's handled as well as my 99 jeep wrangler. Can't say much about the handling in snow but if it handles even half as good as my impreza did during our bad ice storm this year we had then I'll he happy.

Love this car!
    You'll appreciate the extra legroom in the forester for your child's carseat. I have a 2008 impreza, and when my son was born, i had to put the carseat in the middle, and luckily i'm only 5'9", because if i had to move either the passenger or driver front seats back, they would push the carseat up.

Roof basket is nice for putting the stroller on top too during long trips. I bought one on craigslist for $150.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I plan on getting some Thule bars and a basket for vacations/trips. I'll get a basket I can swap onto either the forester or the crosstrek. I was surprised about the little bit of extra room the crosstrek has over my outback sport.

Loving both cars though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Neseth View Post
    You'll appreciate the extra legroom in the forester for your child's carseat.
    We checked this out, and at least with our son's rear-facing seat, there was a tiny bit more space in the crosstrek. That said, his cat seat is behind the passenger seat, as I (the taller of my wife and I) drive more when both of us are in the car.

There is a bit more width in the forester for the second row seats, but not any extra legroom.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    How much was the rack?

mtbr member
    2013 On One Fatty / 2011 Trek Sawyer / 2011 Kona Dr. Fine / 1985 Schwinn Tempo

mtbr member
    I'm going to test drive a Crosstrek tomorrow. My local dealer has 2 orange ones - can't remember which trim level, one is $23K and $26K. Not many options. I really wanted one with a trailer hitch, which neither has, but I guess I can always have one installed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The limited which is the highest price level usually has a hitch as an option. It's not a hard install. I would just negotiate it at the time of the sale that their shop needs to either install it of pay to have a local shop install it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    I'm going to test drive a Crosstrek tomorrow. My local dealer has 2 orange ones - can't remember which trim level, one is $23K and $26K. Not many options. I really wanted one with a trailer hitch, which neither has, but I guess I can always have one installed.
    Prefer the 2" torklift ecohitch anyways. $250, I would negotiate that into the price either way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I went with the Curt 2" hitch can be found on Amazon for around $120, took me about an hour to install it by myself. Pretty simple. Factory hitch is around $500 I think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes, but the forklift looks like an OEM hitch, the rest of the hitch is tucked up and only the box receiver is shown like many factory hitches do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Neseth View Post
    You'll appreciate the extra legroom in the forester for your child's carseat. I have a 2008 impreza, and when my son was born, i had to put the carseat in the middle, and luckily i'm only 5'9", because if i had to move either the passenger or driver front seats back, they would push the carseat up.

Roof basket is nice for putting the stroller on top too during long trips. I bought one on craigslist for $150.
    I had twins in the 09 Impreza and it was super tight. Seats needed to be way forward and it was hard to drive.

mtbr member
    There is also a 2013 Crosstrek in Khaki on the lot with 28,000 miles, that seems a little high. There is also a new Impreza Premium, but the reviews I've read and a couple of YouTube videos really bash the Impreza for being under powered and blah. Might even test drive that one too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    There is also a 2013 Crosstrek in Khaki on the lot with 28,000 miles, that seems a little high. There is also a new Impreza Premium, but the reviews I've read and a couple of YouTube videos really bash the Impreza for being under powered and blah. Might even test drive that one too.
    Crosstrek has the same engine and is no doubt heavier, so don't expect much power there. Crosstrek is just a jacked up Impreza with a new name.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Crosstrek has the same engine and is no doubt heavier, so don't expect much power there. Crosstrek is just a jacked up Impreza with a new name.
    To be fair, there are a few improvements to the XV crosstek. But in the general sense, yes it's just a jacked up impreza.

I remember when it came out. They beefed up the oil/water cooling for the engine and trans to handle some towing, they revised some of the suspension geometry to accomadate lift, and not do it half baked with just larger springs and struts. The geometry is only minor, but it's something. Also, the body cladding to make it look more aggressive like an off roader. An upgraded rear differential, again for towing.

And because the XV crosstek is classified as an SUV, you're allowed to have tinted windows from the factory.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast