Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Your Best Friend
    I'm only going off the in car display so granted, that would probably be different but I can't imagine it'd be that far off. For the record I hardly ever use the cruise control. It doesn't coast when it should and I don't mind slowing down a bit going uphill.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    In my 2015 Crosstrek, the car computer calculates gas mileage consistently ~2 mpg higher than actual. It seems to be closer to 3 in cold weather. I've been keeping track in fuelly.com and my average mileage is 29.4 mpg in dead flat Ohio.

Also, I tend to get better mpg is I keep the computer on instantaneous mpg so I can see that the mileage sucks when I'm heavy on the go pedal.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the in car gauge is wrong - usually 2.5-3 high for me. I've been running Fuelly since my very first tank, and at 19k miles, I'm averaging 27 mpg. Best I've done is 31 on a tank.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    you can adjust the % +/- of the fuel calculator on the display you have to look up the instructions, its set high from the factory, suprise

mtbr member
    Here's my recent MPG. 41k miles on the car, and I'm a 70-75mph middle-lane-on-the-highway driver.

Since the beginning:

MPG is generally 28-29 in the summer, 23-25 in the winter. I've only gotten over 30 on a handful of tanks. CVT, non-hybrid limited.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    you can adjust the % +/- of the fuel calculator on the display you have to look up the instructions, its set high from the factory, suprise
    Thanks for the tip. I guess it really does help to RTFM!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    Maybe you can help me out, but after RTFM, I've yet to find a way to adjust this. I know the non-US models have a "multi-function display" as opposed to the black and white "multi-information display". The MFD models can be adjusted, but no dice on the MID as far as I can tell.

Do you know something I don't?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Yeah, the in car gauge is wrong - usually 2.5-3 high for me. I've been running Fuelly since my very first tank, and at 19k miles, I'm averaging 27 mpg. Best I've done is 31 on a tank.
    Pretty much identical to my results. On the other hand, I'm not sure how accurate my odometer is.
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Pretty much identical to my results. On the other hand, I'm not sure how accurate my odometer is.
    What, you don't Strava your drives?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    What, you don't Strava your drives?
    just the offroad segments
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Subaru Outback 2.5 AWD You cannot fault them; but expensive on Tax & Petrol. Although it will last you a life-time.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Does this model have the head gasket issues that the other older ones have had?

mtbr member
    If the XV had like 200hp it would be perfect IMO. That is if you can live with the lack of cargo space. I learned to live with the underwhelming power in my XV but I couldn't handle the tiny trunk area so we upgraded to the 3.6R Outback. Not as cool looking as the XV and I miss the CVI but the power and cargo space made it worth the trade.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Does this model have the head gasket issues that the other older ones have had?
    No, that's fixed now. Some early ones were oil burners and needed recalled and fixed for free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    If the XV had like 200hp it would be perfect IMO. That is if you can live with the lack of cargo space. I learned to live with the underwhelming power in my XV but I couldn't handle the tiny trunk area so we upgraded to the 3.6R Outback. Not as cool looking as the XV and I miss the CVI but the power and cargo space made it worth the trade.
    How do you like the six banger Outback? I had a XV as a loaner for 2 weeks and it was tiny and pretty gutless compared to my normal Foresters (which aren't super powerful either).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We've had a lot of subarus over the years. We have a 2008 Impreza sport with the 2.5L engine in it. While it's a good engine, it's a good engine for about 10 years ago. The scheduled maintenance - especially the 15,000 mile checks - are ridiculously expensive. This engine has not seen the improvements that other cars have had to reduce scheduled operating expense. So while I like the car, while it's safe etc... it's not an economy car by any stretch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Subaru is fairly outdated in a number of ways, but they have a great and simple AWD system, last forever and are very safe. Check out the small offset crash tests and most other car companies are happy to crush your legs with their newest models. I'll take outdated over a hospital stay anytime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by summud View Post
    Subaru XV Crosstrek | The New 2013 XV Crosstrek

Looks like a interesting option for a good outdoor/bike hauler that gets pretty good gas mileage. Been looking for a decent car/suv to supplement my full size truck for when i dont need the space and 4WD.

I have never owned a Subaru, so i would be curious to see what you guys who are familiar with them have to say. I have a call into the local dealer to email me when they get one in so i can go down and have a look and a test drive.

The pre-reviews seem to be fairly good except that most are saying its a little under powered at 148 HP.
    I see this is a 4 year old quote but for the record I own one for a couple of years now and had a tow-hitch installed and it's awesome even in the snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    How do you like the six banger Outback? I had a XV as a loaner for 2 weeks and it was tiny and pretty gutless compared to my normal Foresters (which aren't super powerful either).
    Powerwise it's great. Mileage-wise it's ok. I don't keep careful track but definitely seeing low 20's per gallon. But I have a roof rack on the car too which is coming off soon, so hoping to see 2-4 mpg increase. I miss the little gutless XV though. Almost to the point I was considering trading the OB back for an XV...lol But the wife says no...it's time to actually pay off our cars rather than constantly trading and living with a perpetual car payment.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ditto nubster. I got about 15grand left on XV. No car payment seems like heaven. Soo far away.

mtbr member
    I hear ya...3 years on the truck, 5 years on the OB. Seems like forever when it's a monthly payment.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Too bad Subaru won't sell the diesel version in US. 50mpg and more torque.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Too bad Subaru won't sell the diesel version in US. 50mpg and more torque.
    I don't go diesel for the simple fact I find diesel gas stations not as available as I like. Plus the two cheapest places that offer gas neither have diesel.

My next car is a WRX and not getting it for the MPG's obviously. Fiance planning to get a Ford Explorer so will be using that to transport the bikes when the time comes.

If need be, I would get a roof rack system.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My 2015 Crosstrek is awesome after installing a hitch with a 2 inch receiver.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tartis99 View Post
    My 2015 Crosstrek is awesome after installing a hitch with a 2 inch receiver.

What rack are you using?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmilin View Post
    What rack are you using?
    It's a Swagman 5 bike carrier for a 2 inch receiver. I only load 2 bikes on it while driving my Crosstrek. I use my truck for heavier loads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tartis99 View Post
    It's a Swagman 5 bike carrier for a 2 inch receiver. I only load 2 bikes on it while driving my Crosstrek. I use my truck for heavier loads.

Thanks.. going to check those out. I'm getting a Crosstrek this weekend and adding a 2" hitch and trying to figure out which rack to go with. How noticeable is the drop in MPG w/ a rack?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmilin View Post
    Thanks.. going to check those out. I'm getting a Crosstrek this weekend and adding a 2" hitch and trying to figure out which rack to go with. How noticeable is the drop in MPG w/ a rack?
    I'm not sure about the mileage drop. I had to install the Curt hitch myself, since I couldn't find anyone who would install a 2 inch hitch on my car.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920