Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
    I would not buy a first model year car. Too many problems. Plus, Subie's are known for head gasket issues.
    I would have no problem making an exception with Impreza and XV, these are still built in Japan which is a big plus IMO. I'm still driving my "first model year" 2002 WRX Bugeye wagon which was new Oct 2001, probably one of the first to come over on the boat . This car has been golden. On a side note, this car doesn't and never has rattled, still tight!And like many others that have owned these, I just can't part with it even though I can easily afford a new car. I read to many regret stories from people who sold them and then wished they hadn't! That said, the XV is right at the top of my short list for when the time inevitably comes. Meanwhile...

XV to be built in Indiana, not overseas.

http://sportscars2013.com/2013-subar...e-to-off-road/

ballbuster

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    FWIW, the MT is not rated at 33mpg. The CVT is.
    I noticed that later. I wonder why? Top gear not tall enough on the 5MT?

Muskoka
    If you read that, it does not say that th XV is built in Indiana. the XV and Impreza is currently built in Japan. AFAIK there are no plans to change. The one I test drove at Subaru of Muskoka had Made in Japan clearly stamped in the engine bay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Different AWD systems, MT uses a viscous center diff, CVT uses an electric clutch system.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    If you read that, it does not say that th XV is built in Indiana. the XV and Impreza is currently built in Japan. AFAIK there are no plans to change. The one I test drove at Subaru of Muskoka had Made in Japan clearly stamped in the engine bay.
    you're right. reading comprehension fail.

Subaru of Indiana Automotive INC

Models built at the Indiana plant: Outback, Legacy, Tribeca, Toyota Camry.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    The CVT is setup to keep the engine RPM in the optimal fuel economy range as much as possible. The 5MT gets about 3 mpg less I think. The MT is still my personal choice, I live in a rural area where I can enjoy the stickshift. If I lived in the city with constant stop&go driving I would consider the CVT even though I am not a fan of automatics. In Australia they get 6MT, and in Europe they also can get 2L diesel option...which would be awesome in this car! Even better fuel economy plus the power that everyone wants.

Muskoka
    you're right. reading comprehension fail.

Subaru of Indiana Automotive INC

Models built at the Indiana plant: Outback, Legacy, Tribeca, Toyota Camry.
    That article is a good example how wordsmiths phrase things to give a reader the impression or implication they have said such-and-such without actually having said it!

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerTi View Post
    Different AWD systems, MT uses a viscous center diff, CVT uses an electric clutch system.
    Really? I thought it said it was symmetrical. Meaning, always on, diffs all around, maybe with a limited slip or lock-up on the center diff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There are like 4-5 different types of AWD systems in Subaru models, but yeah mtbikerTi is correct in manual versus automatic.

Symmetrical AWD refers to the side to side symmetry. The engine faces north south and there are no funny transfer cases or whatever hanging off the side of the transmission and rear end. The system goes straight down the middle.

For the Impreza/XV/Forester/ 4 cyl Legacy and Outback the stick shift is normally 50/50 F/R power split but shifts it if one set of wheels spins considerably faster than the other.

For the automatic versions of those cars, the power bias is normally something close to 90% front/ 10% rear, but will shift up to 50% to the back as needed.

I favor the manual transmission's awd system but in reality they are both superb.

Depending on the year and trim levels there were limited slip rear diffs too, but in the non performance cars those have more or less been replaced by electronic aids.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was going thru some product certification yesterday and learned this stuff- it makes me want to stop saying "an Impreza with a lift kit" lol

-Transmission ratios have been revised to enhance towing capacity
    -Radiator has increased cooling capacity for towing
    -Front brake rotor diameter is increased to 11.6 inches from 10.9 inches on Impreza
    -Fuel tank is 1.4 gallons larger than Impreza
    -Suspension height is 3 inches higher than Impreza
    -Suspension differences include increased rigidity, stiffer spring rate, greater damping force, larger front strut tubes and brackets, larger front stabilizer bar
    -Wider track and shorter wheelbase than Impreza

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I was going thru some product certification yesterday and learned this stuff- it makes me want to stop saying "an Impreza with a lift kit" lol

-Front brake rotor diameter is increased to 11.6 inches from 10.9 inches on Impreza
    -Suspension differences include increased rigidity, stiffer spring rate, greater damping force, larger front strut tubes and brackets, larger front stabilizer bar
    Some real improvements there over the base Impreza...but I'm really wondering about the shorter wheelbase. I get the wider track...but how did they end up with a shorter wheelbase?
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post

Sooo..... it IS an Impreza on stilts!

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

And, I can't believe folks are whining about 150hp. 0-60 in 10 seconds (as found in a Google search) is not going to win any street races, but is not bad. It wasn't too long ago that a VW Rabbit was 0-60 in 10 seconds was pretty dang quick for a stock economy car.

I think in this country, we got too used to drag racing off of the line. We drive cars, not numbers on a spec sheet.

With the oil crunch coming up, and CO2 emissions getting out of control, it won't surprise me if we are all driving around 15 second 0-60 cars in the not so distant future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Some real improvements there over the base Impreza...but I'm really wondering about the shorter wheelbase. I get the wider track...but how did they end up with a shorter wheelbase?
    I have no clue, that had me scratching my head, maybe the higher suspension has some negative caster dialed in or something, I dunno. I'm guessing it's a difference of a few millimeters

mtbr member
    I think a lot of engine technology has gone into making bigger faster cars and not better fuel efficiency. We can still have fast cars, they just can't be big...well for a little while at least.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Lots of good info in this thread. We own a 2002 Bugeye and I still think it's the best looking wrx ever.
    Will hate to see that car go. I think the ground clearance of the XV would be a plus for us in the Mtns. of N.C. and the occasional trip to Snow shoe WV. I agree with others that the wheels are butt ugly We test drove the 12' Impreza and found the power(CVT equiped)
    to be fine and the break at the pump made it more than worth the loss of hp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like the rims. Had I not just bought an outback sport in mid 2010 I would have gotten one of these. I paid about the same for my outback sport with the extended warranty as a cross trek would have cost me. Maybe next time? Of course next Subaru will probably have to be an outback due to family reasons.
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    High precision parts will never be made in the USA for obvious reasons. My Subaru Outback 2006 has Japanese engine, transmission and few other bits. The rest is American and was assembled in Indiana. Not impressed.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm not a huge fan of the wheels, either. If we end up getting one, I foresee probably using the existing set of 16" wheels (from the 02-04 Impreza's) I use for snow tires on the car, providing they fit over the brakes. Probably with a more off-roadable tire, too.

mtbr member
    The Subaru XV Crosstrek is literally the car I have been waiting for from Subaru.

Supposedly, fun to drive, regardless if on the twisty mountain passes or off-road. The ground clearance won't be winning any rock-crawling competitions, but it sure as hell would be more capable for exploring.

Oddly enough, I'm considering a similar philosophy for my next bike, most likely a dual-sport Trek.

Hopefully I'll have both 2 years from now.

As for AWD systems, the modern-day Subarus have 4 different ones:

Active AWD: automatic transmission non-turbo EJ/FB engines (60:40 F:R normal torque split, multi-plate transfer clutch)

Continuous AWD: manual transmission (non STI) (50:50 F:R normal torque split, viscous center diff)

VTD AWD: automatic transmission turbo engines or EZ engine (45:55 F:R normal torque split, electronic LSD? similar to DCCD in STI)

DCCD AWD: manual transmission GC8 (22B only), GD and newer WRX STI (35:65 F:R old DCCD, 41:59 F:R new DCCD, electronic LSD)

As for changes to the Impreza hatch to XV, I even heard that
    the engineers even reinforced the unibody. I have no confirmation, but I found it here: Driving Sports TV - 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Tropical Test and Review - YouTube

thecentralscrutinizer
    Too much money for that small of a car...You can get an Outback which IS a superior vehicle to the Impreza...
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    Too much money for that small of a car...You can get an Outback which IS a superior vehicle to the Impreza...
    The Outback is a couple grand more, gets worse gas mileage, and is frankly more space than I need for my wife, myself, and our dog.

If I had children, I'd probably go for an Outback, but the Impreza is the more practical car for us.

Different strokes....

mtbr member
    I dig the XV. It is a shame Subaru doesn't offer a more powerful n/a motor to fill the HUGE gap between the base 2.0 and the WRX. The XV with a bit more punch under the hood would be pretty fun.

Regardless...this is the only Subaru that has me considering jumping ship from VW. May have one of these in the garage in a couple years.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    Not everyone wants a midsize wagon, apples and oranges and all that. For what you get in an XV, it is certainly not overpriced, if you look at similarly priced CUV's, let alone nicely equipped compact cars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    The Outback is a couple grand more, gets worse gas mileage, and is frankly more space than I need for my wife, myself, and our dog.

If I had children, I'd probably go for an Outback, but the Impreza is the more practical car for us.

Different strokes....
    This is exactly why the XV was needed.

For the mid-size crossover shopper, the Outback was right.

For the compact crossover shopper, the Forester fits right in.

But for those who find the Forester and Outback too large, the XV fits the bill. Although the XV is also a compact like the Forester, it's smaller (and smaller = easier to deal with in crowded city parking).

Some people would prefer not to get too much space. All the more power to those like me who don't need family-car space.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast