Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 751 to 800 of 978
  1. #751
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Any, more substantive differences between the '14 and '15 that I might have missed? My understanding via this thread and others is that it's really just the touchscreen that's changed.
    Might want to take peruse the last few pages of this thread (and that forum in general):
    When should we expect the 2015 XV - Page 32

    I think they also added eyesight in addition to improvements in the interior sound level.

    I had a place make/install a hitch for me (since I'm lazy), and they basically installed it behind the bumper a la the ecohitch. They also welded something to the end of it so I don't jam a stinger into my muffler accidentally.
    buzzes like a fridge

  2. #752
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    The leather is holding up great with no scuffs or marring. Definitely the mtb lifestyle in mine.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  3. #753
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Seventh-777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    212
    I have the ivory leather in mine, and after a season of getting it filthy it's holding up great. Winter MPG is awful though - averaging about 23-25MPG tops, mostly commuting, maybe 25% of the miles with my bike hanging off the back.

    I have the $125 Curt class 1 hitch and it's great. Took all of 5 minutes to install and I've had zero problems with it.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

  4. #754
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    My winter mileage goes down but only to the high 26s or low 27s. That's with a roof and hitch rack always installed. Not sure what you're doing to be in the 23s.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  5. #755
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,426
    Thanks guys. Helpful links, PZ. What'd you pay, out the door, for that hitch setup? 2" or 1.25"?

  6. #756
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Torklift Central's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    About a week away from buying a Limited...either '14 or '15. Good deals out there on '14s but man, the infotainment and dash look much more refined on the '15s.

    Couple of questions:

    Any, more substantive differences between the '14 and '15 that I might have missed? My understanding via this thread and others is that it's really just the touchscreen that's changed.

    For those of you with leather, how's it holding up to the MTB lifestyle? Anyone with dogs? How worried do I have to be about protecting it from dirt and paws and stuff?

    The Forklift Ecohitch seems to be a favorite. Easy to install alone, or should I have a shop do it? I'm reasonably handy...
    EcoHitch for Subaru XV Crosstrek can be installed at home with the proper tools and basic technical knowhow. You can also view our certified EcoHitch installer network here. If you would like we would be happy to locate a quality installation facility on your behalf that is most convenient to your location. Just send a request to ecohitch@tlcentral.com and we will respond to you promptly.

  7. #757
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Seventh-777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    My winter mileage goes down but only to the high 26s or low 27s. That's with a roof and hitch rack always installed. Not sure what you're doing to be in the 23s.
    Heh, wish I knew. I just commute ~70mph or so on the interstate to work. Tire pressure is where it should be too.

    Love the car, great for MTB, but disappointed in the MPG and road noise.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

  8. #758
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    Heh, wish I knew. I just commute ~70mph or so on the interstate to work. Tire pressure is where it should be too.

    Love the car, great for MTB, but disappointed in the MPG and road noise.
    Do you live in a cold climate? I've noticed the initial idle while cold is pretty high, and my mileage is quite a but lower then normal in climates like that. I assume this is to warm the emissions system up quickly to meet the PZEV requirements.
    buzzes like a fridge

  9. #759
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Seventh-777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Do you live in a cold climate? I've noticed the initial idle while cold is pretty high, and my mileage is quite a but lower then normal in climates like that. I assume this is to warm the emissions system up quickly to meet the PZEV requirements.
    Yeah, New England. It's cold as balls up here, haha. Folks over on the XV forum are saying cold weather + winter gas mix, but even then - today's fillup was 21MPG. All good though - it gets me to the trail and totes my crap around.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

  10. #760
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    I have the ivory leather in mine, and after a season of getting it filthy it's holding up great. Winter MPG is awful though - averaging about 23-25MPG tops, mostly commuting, maybe 25% of the miles with my bike hanging off the back.

    I have the $125 Curt class 1 hitch and it's great. Took all of 5 minutes to install and I've had zero problems with it.
    If you are driving with your bike on the back of the car 25% of your miles, first of all I'm jealous you can ride that much, but secondly, that's the reason you're getting that low MPG. Just because it's on a hitch rack doesn't mean it isn't bad for the aerodynamics.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  11. #761
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,721
    Summary of 2015 Changes to Crosstrek:

    The 2015MY XV Crosstrek features many improvements including the following:
     NEW MODEL ADDED: XV Crosstrek 2.0i Base;
     All models now feature standard Rear Vision Camera;
     All models feature new interior enhancements, NVH enhancements for a quieter ride, and new
    design exterior mirrors;
     Our award winning EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology is now available on select option packages;
     New Keyless Access with Push-Button Start and Pin Code Access is now available on select option
    packages (standard on Hybrid and Hybrid Touring);
     All models feature one of three new STARLINK™ Multimedia audio systems;
    o STARLINK Smartphone Integration features a suite of web applications that include AHA™
    Infotainment, Pandora® and iHeart® Radio as well as news, weather and more; and,
     Subaru STARLINK™ 7.0" Multimedia Navigation System with SiriusXM® Satellite Radio and SiriusXM
    NavTraffic® and NavWeather® is ALL NEW and available on select option packages (standard on
    Hybrid Touring).

    The ALL NEW ‘15MY XV Crosstrek 2.0i Base Model - with 5MT transmission has a price of just $21,595…a
    great value! This 2.0i Base model is equipped with black interior fabric, black exterior side mirrors, and
    steering wheel controls for Bluetooth and Audio functions. Adding to the value of this model, and now
    standard on all models, is Quick Ratio Electric Power Assisted Steering. In addition, XV Crosstrek 2.0i has a
    Subaru STARLINK™ 6.2” Multimedia System featuring the following:
    • 6.2-inch touch screen;
    • Subaru STARLINK Smartphone Integration;
    • Four audio speakers; and
    • USB port.

    The XV Crosstrek 2.0i Premium starts at $22,295 (5MT) and $23,295 (CVT) - only $300 more than the ’14
    model year and only a $700 price step-up from the new 2.0i Base model. The 2.0i Premium adds the
    following:
    • All Weather Package;
    • Cargo Area Cover;
    • Cargo Area Tray;
    • Center Console with Adjustable Armrest Lid;
    • Body Color Foldable Exterior Mirrors;
    • Chrome Inner Handles; and,
    • Illuminated Glove Box and Ignition Switch Ring.
    In addition, 2.0i Premium receives the infotainment system noted above with the 6.2-inch touch display
    plus an upgrade to 6 speakers to complement an already strong content package. For only $1,000 more
    you can add a Power Moonroof. Most notable for 2015, is the addition of our class-leading Eyesight® Driver
    Assist Technology. ALL NEW - Option Package 14 offers Eyesight® and Subaru STARLINK™ 7.0” Multimedia Plus audio system for just $1,295! In addition to Eyesight® Driver Assist Technology, this option package
    includes Steering Responsive Foglights and the upgraded audio system which includes SiriusXM® Satellite
    Radio (subscription required), voice activated controls and dual USB ports.

    The XV Crosstrek 2.0i Limited CVT has a retail price of $24,795. With the Limited trim package you receive
    the new Subaru STARLINK™ 7.0” Multimedia Plus system featuring the following:
    • 7-inch touch screen with swipe and scroll capabilities;
    • Subaru STARLINK™;
    • Six audio speakers;
    • SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (subscription required);
    • Voice activated controls;
    • Dual USB ports; and,
    • A larger LCD color display.
    In addition, Limited models now also include exterior mirrors with integrated turn signals, a sound
    insulation windshield, CVT Shift Boot and Welcome Lighting for just a $300 price increase over the ‘14MY.
    How’s that for value! Additional content can be added through two ALL NEW option packages outlined
    below:

    Option Package 22 – features a Power Moonroof, the ALL NEW Subaru STARLINK™ 7.0” Multimedia
    Navigation System and Keyless Access with Push-Button Start and Pin Code Access, which is another
    ALL NEW feature for XV Crosstrek Limited. This is a great new option package competitively priced at
    $2,000, which is $100 less than last years’ Moonroof and Navigation Option Package, which did not
    include Keyless Access or Subaru STARLINK™. All this adds incremental value for less than a similarly
    equipped ‘14MY.
    Option Package 23 - completes the 2015 XV Crosstrek Limited line-by sweetening the content even
    further with all Option Package 22 contents plus Eyesight® Driver Assist Technology and Steering
    Responsive Foglights for a package price of $2,795.

    Rounding out the XV Crosstrek line-up is the 2015 XV Crosstrek Hybrid and Hybrid Touring models.
    XV Crosstrek Hybrid is equipped with the ALL NEW Subaru STARLINK™ 6.2" Multimedia audio system
    featuring voice or swipe and scroll capabilities, Subaru STARLINK™, 6 speakers and USB Port. XV Crosstrek
    Hybrid Touring is equipped with the new Subaru STARLINK™ 7.0” Multimedia Navigation System featuring
    the same 7.0” Multimedia system as 2.0i Limited and adds the Navigation System. Unique to XV Crosstrek
    Hybrid models are improved aerodynamics as a result of the new front bumper under spoiler and new
    design rear roof spoiler. Each model also gets a new CVT Shift Boot and Welcome Lighting. The best news
    for XV Crosstrek Hybrid in 2015 is that you get all these enhanced features for the same price as the 2014
    model.

    A new color - Crystal White Pearl - is available on all ‘15MY XV Crosstrek models with either the Black or
    Ivory interior, and Crystal Black Silica is also available with either interior color. Both interior colors are
    available in cloth or leather depending on the trim level.

    The Destination and Delivery charge is $850 (+$150 for retailers in Alaska).
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  12. #762
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    This is a great site for learning about Subys and the changes from year to year.
    2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek research webpage- Premium, Limited, Hybrid, Hybrid Touring
    Ohhh, yeah this guy is a great resource. He's a salesperson but he gets info ahead of many of us other salespeople, I think his dealer is on a Subaru dealer advisory board. He takes obsessive pics of many cars and his level of detail with info is fantastic.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  13. #763
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    762
    Yeah. I found it years a go when I was shopping for my 2011 WRX. So much good info on just about every aspect of the cars.

    OT, for those who don't know, get an IMBA membership and 6 months after that, you qualify for the Subaru VIP discount. It gets you a car for 2% below invoice with no hassles. I got 4 cars this way and it's great.

  14. #764
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,776
    How do you guys think the XV would compare to an 08 forester? Im really sick of the 4sp auto in my car and really want to drive a stick again. Would you say power is about the same? I have the non turbo 2.5x.

  15. #765
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,721
    ^ The acceleration will be noticeably better even with the smaller engine. You're down from 170ish hp to 148 in the XV in vehicles that both weigh 3100-3200 but the CVT is vastly more responsive than the 4 speed. Like, night and day difference. Ohhh I just saw you said stick shift. It is still going to be better.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  16. #766
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,776
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    ^ The acceleration will be noticeably better even with the smaller engine. You're down from 170ish hp to 148 in the XV in vehicles that both weigh 3100-3200 but the CVT is vastly more responsive than the 4 speed. Like, night and day difference. Ohhh I just saw you said stick shift. It is still going to be better.
    I guess I have to go drive one. My next car will be a stick if I have to find a used 08 I will.

  17. #767
    Muskoka
    Reputation: BlackCanoeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,250
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    How do you guys think the XV would compare to an 08 forester? Im really sick of the 4sp auto in my car and really want to drive a stick again. Would you say power is about the same? I have the non turbo 2.5x.
    It will be fine but towing capacity is reduced if you do any trailer towing. XV is rated 1500 lb braked or 1000 lb unbraked trailer. I have had 2013 MT for 2 yrs and am happy with it, came from 02 WRX mt
    RSD Bikes The Mayor
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

  18. #768
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Do you live in a cold climate? I've noticed the initial idle while cold is pretty high, and my mileage is quite a but lower then normal in climates like that. I assume this is to warm the emissions system up quickly to meet the PZEV requirements.
    What is your car idling at? All my Subaru's I've owned since like 2001 idle higher initially, but I have a Mazda5 too that idles at about 1600 til it warms up or i blip the gas. The Subarus will drop the idle down if you blip the gas pedal, but they idle higher on purpose though. I don't pay attention to exact RPM even though I turn them on at work all the time but I know it's like 1200-1500 or so.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  19. #769
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Ohhh, yeah this guy is a great resource. He's a salesperson but he gets info ahead of many of us other salespeople, I think his dealer is on a Subaru dealer advisory board. He takes obsessive pics of many cars and his level of detail with info is fantastic.
    Joe is more than just a great resource- he's also a great salesman! Very happy we bought our Crosstrek from Joe. As the internet salesman for Seattle's biggest Subie dealer, he's a breeze to deal with. Here's the price, bam. No haggle, no hassle. He's a no-BS kind of guy. He'll be completely honest about what works well, and what doesn't really work that well on any Subie.
    Probably the only time I've dealt w/ a salesman who knew the product as well or better than I did...

    He's the one who told us not to expect anything Prius-like from the XV Hybrid... the good? The XV accelerates pretty well, compared to the glacial Prius. The bad? Well, the mpg from the XV Hybrid is only 1-2-3 mpg more than the gas version- a long, long, LONG way off of what a Prius can do.
    But hey- it's a Subaru, it's AWD, it's fun and it's interesting. A Prius is none of those things.

  20. #770
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,426
    It's not here yet, but I've officially joined the club. Sold my '03 WRX, and am waiting another 4 weeks or so for my DGM XV to arrive. Everything I want on it, nothing I don't.... Sport grille, spoiler, side moldings, moonroof, nav, keyless entry, leather. No splash guards - will put some proper flaps on, probably Gorilla. No homelink mirror - don't need it!

    I'll be running a 1UP rack off the back, and after much consternation, I'll be running a Curt hitch. I find the location of the Torklift to be a bit high, and I'll pretty much be leaving the rack on full-time, so stealth isn't much of a concern. Plus, $100 for the Curt vs $225 for the Torklift...

    Looking forward to it!

  21. #771
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    He's the one who told us not to expect anything Prius-like from the XV Hybrid... the good? The XV accelerates pretty well, compared to the glacial Prius. The bad? Well, the mpg from the XV Hybrid is only 1-2-3 mpg more than the gas version- a long, long, LONG way off of what a Prius can do.
    But hey- it's a Subaru, it's AWD, it's fun and it's interesting. A Prius is none of those things.
    To keep the existing AWD system, Subaru had to integrate the electric motor into the transmission. That is a very tight space and they could only fit a really wimpy electric motor. The electric motor is only 13HP, so it basically is just a big starter motor. Its too small to do anything without the gas motor so you don't see much for mileage gains. The prius has a 98 HP electric motor and a planetary gear transmission so its basically the most efficient you can possibly get.

    I love Subaru's, and the mileage is good for what they are, but they're never ever getting close to a Prius.

  22. #772
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,630

    Subaru XV Crosstrek



    It still ran well enough after this to drive itself onto the flat bed tow truck.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  23. #773
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post


    It still ran well enough after this to drive itself onto the flat bed tow truck.
    Dude...sucks! Hope everyone is okay. Is that a Foz that you went head to head with?

  24. #774
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Dude...sucks! Hope everyone is okay. Is that a Foz that you went head to head with?
    Subaru fratricide...

  25. #775
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    Yep. He thought he was a drifter and wasn't thinking there might be other users on the road. Seriously glad I wasn't on my fat bike. I'd be dead.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  26. #776
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post


    It still ran well enough after this to drive itself onto the flat bed tow truck.
    Bad looking - glad you're ok!

  27. #777
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post


    It still ran well enough after this to drive itself onto the flat bed tow truck.
    damn!

    glad you're okay

    subaru on subaru violence.

    joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

  28. #778
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    Well thank god for good insurance. Car was totaled and I already have my brand new 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek limited. This time with Nav and a moonroof. Subaru's made some nice improvements to this vehicle in two years.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  29. #779
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Well thank god for good insurance. Car was totaled and I already have my brand new 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek limited. This time with Nav and a moonroof. Subaru's made some nice improvements to this vehicle in two years.
    Nice! I'll have mine midweek, next week. Pretty stoked. You go with the same color?

  30. #780
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Well thank god for good insurance. Car was totaled and I already have my brand new 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek limited. This time with Nav and a moonroof. Subaru's made some nice improvements to this vehicle in two years.
    Can you elaborate on the improvements?

  31. #781
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,426
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Can you elaborate on the improvements?
    I had the same question 1 page back. Check this post:

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Might want to take peruse the last few pages of this thread (and that forum in general):
    When should we expect the 2015 XV - Page 32

    I think they also added eyesight in addition to improvements in the interior sound level.

  32. #782
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,260
    Did you guys have your crosstrek serviced at 25000 mile mark and what all did the dealer do? Just got item in mail saying mine is due to service. Cant believe I already have 22,000 miles after a year.

  33. #783
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    Let's see if I can list the changes. Oh and I did not get eyesight system. I think driver aids like that are pretty stupid and I'd never use it. Anyway. For 15 the XV gets the same suspension upgrades the 14 XV hybrid had. It also has more sound deadening in the cabin. Actually both upgrades are pretty noticeable coming from my 13. Inside there is more chrome trim in the small things. Like around door/window switches and around the display. Better quality materials like the dash and leather around the shifter. There is less red light on the display (not a plus imo) and with the moonroof cover slid open I can hear wind noise from the bike rack. Closed, it almost completely goes away. The Bluetooth system is much improved and the voice recognition is much better. The oem tires are the same crappy ones that came on my 13 and wore out in about 25k miles. Plan on replacing them rather quickly. Overall I like the improvements. I haven't spent much time using the Nav so no comment on that. I also haven't remounted my Curt hitch so nothing there as well although I don't anticipate any issues.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  34. #784
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,426

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Let's see if I can list the changes. Oh and I did not get eyesight system. I think driver aids like that are pretty stupid and I'd never use it.
    While waiting for my '15 Limited (moonroof, no eyesight) to arrive, the dealer loaned me a 2015 Impreza with eyesight. While everything works well as advertised, the only truly useful feature is adaptive cruise control, but I say that with a caveat. I wound up annoyed using it in everyday freeway traffic. Not stop and go, but 60-75mph kind of traffic. If a car moves in front of you, it'll slow down just fine to maintain your selected distance, but once it opens up, ACC floors it to get you back up to speed. It feels odd and unnatural, and kind of annoying.

    I can see using it for long highway stretches where there's not a lot of lane changing going on, but after a week with the Impreza, I've decided not to use it. Glad I didn't order my XV with it.

  35. #785
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    While waiting for my '15 Limited (moonroof, no eyesight) to arrive, the dealer loaned me a 2015 Impreza with eyesight. While everything works well as advertised, the only truly useful feature is adaptive cruise control, but I say that with a caveat. I wound up annoyed using it in everyday freeway traffic. Not stop and go, but 60-75mph kind of traffic. If a car moves in front of you, it'll slow down just fine to maintain your selected distance, but once it opens up, ACC floors it to get you back up to speed. It feels odd and unnatural, and kind of annoying.

    I can see using it for long highway stretches where there's not a lot of lane changing going on, but after a week with the Impreza, I've decided not to use it. Glad I didn't order my XV with it.
    Exactly. I'm not an inattentive driver so the lane departure warning would never be needed. I rarely use cruise control except on long distance drives and I don't want to be locked in behind someone just to use it. On my last 18+ hour drive I set the cruise when needed and just kept passing or being passed. No issue.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  36. #786
    Always in the wrong gear
    Reputation: Coondog#77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    512
    I just got a '15 Crosstrek, 5-spd. Not sure if I want to mount a hitch and to a hitch rack or go the roof rack route. I'm coming from using a pick up so I have limited experience with racks. Any of you have a preference?
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Roca Roja Breezy 29+ SS


    Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

  37. #787
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,113
    Hitch rack. I can always see it going down the road and will never forget it is on the roof.

  38. #788
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Seventh-777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    212
    +1 for the hitch rack. Super easy to get your bike on and off, keeps the trail dirt off of your car, simple to take off when you need to.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

  39. #789
    Always in the wrong gear
    Reputation: Coondog#77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    512
    Delete
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Roca Roja Breezy 29+ SS


    Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

  40. #790
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,426

    Subaru XV Crosstrek

    Hitch for sure. The XV is kinda tall - you'll scratch up your doors with a belt buckle, buttons, or keys reaching up all the time.

    Took delivery of mine today. Really stoked!

  41. #791
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    I have both racks. a 3x Thule sidearm with aero bars and a 2x 1up hitch rack. I am 6'3" so I don't have any issues with the XV being tall and I don't mind the roof rack at all. The 1up is a much nicer rack and it is definitely easier to get bikes on and off. IMO the disadvantages of a hitch rack are that you now have a very expensive bumper and if the road is wet at all, your bike is now wearing all of that gunk. If I only had one rack though it'd be the hitch rack. No question.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  42. #792
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    I have both racks. a 3x Thule sidearm with aero bars and a 2x 1up hitch rack. I am 6'3" so I don't have any issues with the XV being tall and I don't mind the roof rack at all. The 1up is a much nicer rack and it is definitely easier to get bikes on and off. IMO the disadvantages of a hitch rack are that you now have a very expensive bumper and if the road is wet at all, your bike is now wearing all of that gunk. If I only had one rack though it'd be the hitch rack. No question.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  43. #793
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    478
    Love my hitch rack and the Gorilla Mud Flaps do a great job of keeping the muck off the bike.

    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

  44. #794
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnicosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    182
    I am seriously thinking about returning my thule roof bike racks and getting a hitch and hitch bike rack .

    I like the Thule 916xtr . Only issue is access to the rear car hatch . Do I have to disconnect the hitch rack to get into the rear of the car ?
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.

  45. #795
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnicosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    182
    What is the easiest and most cost effective hitch mounting system? I am pretty handy so I'll probably try to install it myself.

    Thanks
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.

  46. #796
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by jnicosia View Post
    I am seriously thinking about returning my thule roof bike racks and getting a hitch and hitch bike rack .

    I like the Thule 916xtr . Only issue is access to the rear car hatch . Do I have to disconnect the hitch rack to get into the rear of the car ?
    The rack has a tilt feature to allow access to the hatch even with bikes on. Look up some vids to see how it works. Consider the Kuat racks too. The are lighter than most Thule and Yak racks.

  47. #797
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,426
    Quote Originally Posted by jnicosia View Post
    What is the easiest and most cost effective hitch mounting system? I am pretty handy so I'll probably try to install it myself.

    Thanks
    Just installed a Curt hitch and 1Up rack with a buddy today. You can almost install the Curt by yourself, except when it comes to lifting it into place. If you push the bolts back into the frame, you're kind of f*cked.

    I'll have some better pics soon, but for now...

    Subaru XV Crosstrek-imageuploadedbytapatalk1426219272.321351.jpg

    Subaru XV Crosstrek-imageuploadedbytapatalk1426219281.972218.jpg

  48. #798
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnicosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Just installed a Curt hitch and 1Up rack with a buddy today. You can almost install the Curt by yourself, except when it comes to lifting it into place. If you push the bolts back into the frame, you're kind of f*cked.

    I'll have some better pics soon, but for now...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426219272.321351.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	972387

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426219281.972218.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	972388
    Thanks for that information, how much was the curt hitch and does it utilize the bumper pop out or is it underneath so it's very visible? How much time did it take you to install and what was the cost ?

    Is it a 2" receiver? I also have an Xtera I plan to use on both vehicles
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.

  49. #799
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    I have the Curt 2". It is very visible but it doesn't bother me because my 1 up is always on it. I've now installed it on two XV's. I did it this last time with my 13 year old daughter. Pretty easy and only took about 30 minutes. The first time it took almost an hour because I didn't know what I was doing. There are 3 plugs in the frame on each side of rear of the car. You remove the 1st and 3rd plugs. Then you widen the 3rd hole so that the bolt head can fit through. After that it's just a matter of fishing the bolts through the holes and then lifting the 50 lb rack into place and bolting it on. If you're starting over with a new hitch rack, do yourself a favor and skip straight to 1up. I've used them all and they are all absolutely terrible compared to a one up. I have nothing to gain by telling you this. As a guide I've used all of the different racks extensively and they all fall short.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  50. #800
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnicosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I have the Curt 2". It is very visible but it doesn't bother me because my 1 up is always on it. I've now installed it on two XV's. I did it this last time with my 13 year old daughter. Pretty easy and only took about 30 minutes. The first time it took almost an hour because I didn't know what I was doing. There are 3 plugs in the frame on each side of rear of the car. You remove the 1st and 3rd plugs. Then you widen the 3rd hole so that the bolt head can fit through. After that it's just a matter of fishing the bolts through the holes and then lifting the 50 lb rack into place and bolting it on. If you're starting over with a new hitch rack, do yourself a favor and skip straight to 1up. I've used them all and they are all absolutely terrible compared to a one up. I have nothing to gain by telling you this. As a guide I've used all of the different racks extensively and they all fall short.
    I would like to but I have an LL bean $500 credit I need to use so it's tule for me.

    Does your hitch feed through the bumper? Or is it just under it
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •