Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Can you guys post up some highway MPG figures? Not interested in city, as there are took my variables. Still trying to decide between this and 14 Forester.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Can anyone comment on road noise/wind noise/cvt noise at highway speeds. I only drove XV for 15 min at about 25 - 45 and the noise did not seem to be too obtrusive. I currently drive 2003 forester and it is a loud car at highway speeds. On the other hand, when I rented '12 legacy and drove it for 10 days in the mountains of CO and UT, the car performed really well and I thought it was quiet and the cvt behaved similarly to standard automatic.
    I'd just love to have a quieter car compared to my '03 forester.

Thanks.

Subaru XV Crosstrek

The xv is a ton quieter than my Fit. Makes sense since the doors and whatnot are thicker-more space for noise insulation. Can't comment on noise relative to other cars, but it is plenty comfy and quiet for me.

My wife is getting about 28 in mixed driving mostly highway. It is kinda easy to go too fast compared to her previous car and compared to my Fit so I think that contributes to the lower economy than listed highway economy.

I think part of it for me is that I am used to more engine noise and particularly to higher rpms. I think as we get more comfortable with it we will get better at managing the speed and keeping fuel economy up.

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kameha View Post
    I'd just love to have a quieter car compared to my '03 forester.
    Thanks.
    I think any other car ever made will be quieter than an '03 Forester!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    I think any other car ever made will be quieter than an '03 Forester!
    If any has insight into how to remedy this...spill! I love my '03 fozzy but the wind nows is a bit annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by kyle_vk View Post
    If any has insight into how to remedy this...spill! I love my '03 fozzy but the wind nows is a bit annoying...
    try this:

Soundmat - Pyrotek Noise Control

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle_vk View Post
    Do a quick google search and you will find many suggestions on various subaru forums. I've tried most of them with no success.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    The interior isn't that big. I don't think I'd get my XL 29er in there without taking off the front wheel and putting two bikes in there would just cause damage.

As far as leather quality, it's as nice or nicer than the leather I had in a couple Fords and 3 Dodges. Not complaints. It is black though and yes, it gets hot.

Get the limited but without the Nav. I have used the Nav in other Subaru's and all the reviews say it isn't worth it, I agree. I'll use my smartphone or install a good aftermarket one when/if I need to.
    I had black leather seats in my Scirocco. It was pretty dang brutal in summer. I used to just keep white towels on the seat bottoms, and that helped.

I gotta say, those seats were amazing. I love huggy sporty seats.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hello All.

I have a 1 year old BMW 320 wagon/estate car (BMW call it 'Touring'). It is a really good car to drive, has a nice engine (euro spec 320d pushing out about 170+ bhp and very torquey). Even in the snow it managed to get me home, (which being an automatic rear wheel drive was some kind of minor miracle, but it did have winter tyres fitted).

Has anyone gone from a beemer 3 series to an XV? How does the space inside compare (we have a new baby and I like to haul my mountain bike gear, although I have a roof rack)? How does the driving experience differ? I am probably lucky with my current car, as they have a reputation for being good to drive and it certainly seems to handle well.

I am just itching for an excuse to buy a Subaru, I have wanted one for quite a while - I like the utilitarian look.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ^ you would be losing a lot of cargo space, going from a wagon to a hatchback. I'd venture you would be losing passenger interior room too.

A more direct comparison would be the Legacy wagon (not sure if there is an Outback trim level in your market, or what they call it). Edit: looks like you're from the UK, so Outback is definitely there.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    I was watching the evening news and it looks like it was an orange XV Crosstrek that took the plunge from the Skagit River bridge collapse.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by gribble View Post
    Hello All.

I have a 1 year old BMW 320 wagon/estate car (BMW call it 'Touring'). It is a really good car to drive, has a nice engine (euro spec 320d pushing out about 170+ bhp and very torquey). Even in the snow it managed to get me home, (which being an automatic rear wheel drive was some kind of minor miracle, but it did have winter tyres fitted).

Has anyone gone from a beemer 3 series to an XV? How does the space inside compare (we have a new baby and I like to haul my mountain bike gear, although I have a roof rack)? How does the driving experience differ? I am probably lucky with my current car, as they have a reputation for being good to drive and it certainly seems to handle well.

I am just itching for an excuse to buy a Subaru, I have wanted one for quite a while - I like the utilitarian look.
    I'd think this would be really hard. Unless you are getting the x-trek for moderate off-road work where you need the ground clearance, the body roll and excessive wheel-travel without refined shocks is going to be hard to to live with. If you drove an impreza for the last few years this would be easy, but it was hard going back to my WRX after driving my brother's 2010 328. That bottom-of-the-line 328 had anti-sway bars miles stiffer and shocks so much more refined it just was no comparison. Keep in mind the X-trek will body-roll far more than my WRX.

Lots of people have rear wheel drive BMWs here in Anchorage. They get around just fine in the winter because they get studded tires. No big deal. Lots of people have X-drives too, but not as many as you'd think. Unless you are going up significant inclines in inclimate weather OR need the ground clearance, I'd say it's not worth considering, and then there's the issue of the fact that the x-trek will be far smaller inside (it's based on the impreza).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Hello All.

Has anyone gone from a beemer 3 series to an XV?
    Don't do it! That 320d has a honey of an engine - broad torqueband and amazing mileage - and drives like a BMW should. I think that it's a downgrade to go to a Crosstrek for all of the reasons that Jared mentions, in addition to interior quality and handling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    Don't do it! That 320d has a honey of an engine - broad torqueband and amazing mileage - and drives like a BMW should. I think that it's a downgrade to go to a Crosstrek for all of the reasons that Jared mentions, in addition to interior quality and handling.
    Thanks Jared and Giddy for your input. Will probably hold off then. BMW is one of the nicest cars I have driven, although reliability seems to be just behind the VW Rabbit/Golf TDI I had a few years back. I have to say that the economy seems to be impressive too, even with the roof rack on it is about double the mileage my Nissan Juke turbo used get and just as quick.

One thing I was wondering is if anyone had tried Thule Wing bars on their car? I have a pair do Thule Aero bars, but there is lots of wind noise. I do leave the bike carriers on all the time too (Euro spec side arm Pro Ride 951). Was wondering if a change in bars would help stop the whistle?

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    One thing I was wondering is if anyone had tried Thule Wing bars on their car? I have a pair do Thule Aero bars, but there is lots of wind noise. I do leave the bike carriers on all the time too (Euro spec side arm Pro Ride 951). Was wondering if a change in bars would help stop the whistle?
    I have Thule AeroBlades and they are pretty darn quiet with two Pelotons mounted on there. I had a whistling problem before I installed the rubber strips with the wind breakers into the slot on top of the blades though. I'm contemplating replacing one of the Pelotons with a SideArm now that I have a 15TA bike, but I'm a bit concerned about additional wind noise.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    I was watching the evening news and it looks like it was an orange XV Crosstrek that took the plunge from the Skagit River bridge collapse.
    Interesting. I only saw a still image but I was thinking the same thing.

As a follow up to the previous gas mileage question. I have 3500 miles on mine now and I think it is starting to get settled. For the first few thousand miles I was averaging about 28ish mpg. Now, I am consistently getting 30ish mpg. I've been on several MTB road trips with it. Always with a buddy, back seats folded to make space for all of our gear and two bikes on top. I averaged about 26 over four hours of 65+ mph.

One more quick thing. I have the Curt 2" hitch on mine. It is great and I've never even come close to scraping it on the ground and I've done some hairy roads in Moab. I can't imagine the head ache you'd have trying to put a hitch pin or bolting in a bike hitch pin on the hidden hitch. Yes, it may look cool but not worth it IMO.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Interesting. I only saw a still image but I was thinking the same thing.

As a follow up to the previous gas mileage question. I have 3500 miles on mine now and I think it is starting to get settled. For the first few thousand miles I was averaging about 28ish mpg. Now, I am consistently getting 30ish mpg. I've been on several MTB road trips with it. Always with a buddy, back seats folded to make space for all of our gear and two bikes on top. I averaged about 26 over four hours of 65+ mph.

One more quick thing. I have the Curt 2" hitch on mine. It is great and I've never even come close to scraping it on the ground and I've done some hairy roads in Moab. I can't imagine the head ache you'd have trying to put a hitch pin or bolting in a bike hitch pin on the hidden hitch. Yes, it may look cool but not worth it IMO.
    Good to hear your mpg improve some after about 3500mi.

The guys over here haven't been having problems getting hitch pins in, nor with the safety chains for a small trailer. It's not right out in the open, but it's not difficult to access, either. A ratcheting socket seems to deal with threaded hitch pins well, too.

I will be ordering the torklift hitch on my next paycheck, I think. The no drill install sounds like the way to go (report on that on page 4), as the bumper removal/reinstall only takes a few minutes each and some folks have done the install without getting the crosstrek in the air, so I may be able to pull it off at home, saving some of that cash for the hitch rack itself.

ordered the Torklift hitch today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I looked at all the other hitch options (for my Outback), but in the end, went with a Uhaul. $220 installed with a lifetime warranty. It's fairly well-hidden (5" from the end of the bumper). Has worked well for the last 6 months. Just one other option to consider, especially if you don't want to install yourself. When I was considering this, it was 20 degrees outside and snowing, so made it much easier to decide.

mtbr member
    I test drove an XV Crosstrek on Wednesday. 2.0 Premium with a couple of extras like sport grille, spoiler, auto dimming mirror, etc. I opted for the five speed. You know, almost every review said this car is a dog, but I thought it was plenty peppy with the five speed. It was a little loud on the highway, and it was spinning at around 3k at 65, but that's the only real complaint I have.

Just waiting to see if the financing comes through that I want. If I get the green light, I'd go with it. It'd be a big trade up from the '06 Ranger I currently drive.

Muskoka

My Crosstrek Sport...

just got it

Sold my 2002 WRX wagon privately...hands down best car I ever had!!!

mtbr member
    I couldn't get a good enough deal on the financing for an XV so I walked out. Mostly, it came down to the fact that I work as a valet and over half of my income is unreported tips. Even though the payment schedule we worked out would be almost what I pay on my current vehicle(with no problems, btw), once I showed them my stubs, the deal went sour.

They came back with a final payment schedule and interest rate that was $13 a month more than I said I'd pay, and I walked out. I really wanted a new car, but hey, gotta have some principles. It felt awesome to walk out though. They had me in a loaner car for four days, we had a deal all hammered out, it was the next thing to sold, I mean literally all I had to do still was sign one more time and it was mine, and I walked out on them over $13 a month. That was two days ago and I still feel awesome. I bet that sleazeball sales guy already had the commission check spent.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes for them to call me back with their new "best offer." Gonna tell them to shove it the next time too.

I <3 dirt

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Why not try and get financing thru your bank or a credit union? Almost always going to be better then a dealer
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    Why not try and get financing thru your bank or a credit union? Almost always going to be better then a dealer
    I did a little shopping around too. It wasn't looking markedly better than at the dealer. While I'd really like to have a new car and not have to worry about it for a few years, I'm going back to college this fall, so going all in on a brand new vehicle probably isn't the best move right now.

I'll probably just shop around for a nice used one. A local dealer has a 2005 Impreza wagon that I might look at. I'd be a good enough college beater. Plus, if I can get a good enough price on it, I could do a couple of mods like a 1" lift and some skid plates to make it more offroad capable. We'll see....

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    In our case, it wasn't even close. The dealer offered us nearly a whole percentage point less. We still tried and knew what our options were. We used it as something of a bargaining chip

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast