Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ^^ I've said it before, I think the sweet spot is right at 62. Every time I've done an Interstate run with this car the mileage has sucked.

After the super low mpg run on Sunday I squeaked out the rest of the tank on my commute (in and out of NYC) yesterday and managed to ease the avg up to 23.9 for the tank. The worst in the 46k miles I've had the car. It took 15.56 gallons and wasn't sputtering but I bet it only had a mile or two left in it.

mtbr member
    I average 36 mpg on the run from LA to South OC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I wonder how much off road it can take compared to the Forester?
    Same platform. They're both based on the Impreza and have 8.7" of clearance. The Crosstrek is very capable off road and I took mine to horrible places and did horrible things with it. I just wished you could completely shut off VDC sometimes.

mtbr member
    I've found the mpg to really depend on the headwinds. On long drives here (~300 miles) at altitude I'm getting 26-31 mpg cruising around 72mph.

I've only driven it on plain 'ol dirt roads, but from what I've seen on youtube it's pretty capable offroad

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EZPCXmGoFBA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qSevEepygzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Awhile back on the XV forum someone was saying that they'd broken something suspension-related (can't remember what), and Subaru wouldn't warranty it because he'd installed rallylights and skidplate which meant he was using the car improperly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Awhile back on the XV forum someone was saying that they'd broken something suspension-related (can't remember what), and Subaru wouldn't warranty it because he'd installed rallylights and skidplate which meant he was using the car improperly.
    There were extenuating circumstances to that, mainly the fact that he took the ABS fuse out to completely disable VDC letting the car get more lateral forces on turns than the car would normally allow, thus snapping on of his drive axles(IIRC.) The lesson: don't remove your ABS fuse and do lateral slides in rally cross fields.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

FATBOY
    Carve

Orgasmic Orange Crosstrek

www.robertirvin.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I need to buy the longer strap for the rear wheel from KUAT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think it looks awesome!
    It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well traded the wife's car in at the end of December and purchased her a 2014 forester for our first family car (first child is due this summer). Well the crosstrek is the car I really wanted when I bought my 2011 impreza outback sport. Had my impreza almost completely paid off and had some hail damage and some dings in the doors thanks to parking in hospital parking lots and Medicaid patients not caring whose car they hit with their doors. Was able to use my ASHA discount (similar to the other discount folks use) and since we had just bought a car at the end of 2013 and me being a tough negotiator I was able to trade the impreza in and get a 2014 crosstrek limited in tangerine for a car payment that was $125 less per month

I was worried about the lack of engine power. I had a manual transmission before on my impreza so I was concerned that the cvt would be underpowered as others had complained it would be. I have the steering wheel shifters as well hut haven't bothered to use them. I must say the cvt has plenty of pep for in city and interstate driving. I normally drive the interstate to and from work with about 10 miles of stop and go city driving. I average 75-80 mph on the interstate and I drive like a typical Columbus Ohio Pittsburgh pa driver would drive (so heavy on the accelerator) and I'm averaging 28-31 mpg with around 2000 miles on the crosstrek so far.

I must say I love this car! It's what I wanted in my impreza outback sport! I've taken it on some sandy/dirt/muddy clay roads in South Carolina and Georgia and it's handled as well as my 99 jeep wrangler. Can't say much about the handling in snow but if it handles even half as good as my impreza did during our bad ice storm this year we had then I'll he happy.

Love this car!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNickels View Post
    Well traded the wife's car in at the end of December and purchased her a 2014 forester for our first family car (first child is due this summer). Well the crosstrek is the car I really wanted when I bought my 2011 impreza outback sport. Had my impreza almost completely paid off and had some hail damage and some dings in the doors thanks to parking in hospital parking lots and Medicaid patients not caring whose car they hit with their doors. Was able to use my ASHA discount (similar to the other discount folks use) and since we had just bought a car at the end of 2013 and me being a tough negotiator I was able to trade the impreza in and get a 2014 crosstrek limited in tangerine for a car payment that was $125 less per month

I was worried about the lack of engine power. I had a manual transmission before on my impreza so I was concerned that the cvt would be underpowered as others had complained it would be. I have the steering wheel shifters as well hut haven't bothered to use them. I must say the cvt has plenty of pep for in city and interstate driving. I normally drive the interstate to and from work with about 10 miles of stop and go city driving. I average 75-80 mph on the interstate and I drive like a typical Columbus Ohio Pittsburgh pa driver would drive (so heavy on the accelerator) and I'm averaging 28-31 mpg with around 2000 miles on the crosstrek so far.

I must say I love this car! It's what I wanted in my impreza outback sport! I've taken it on some sandy/dirt/muddy clay roads in South Carolina and Georgia and it's handled as well as my 99 jeep wrangler. Can't say much about the handling in snow but if it handles even half as good as my impreza did during our bad ice storm this year we had then I'll he happy.

Love this car!
    You'll appreciate the extra legroom in the forester for your child's carseat. I have a 2008 impreza, and when my son was born, i had to put the carseat in the middle, and luckily i'm only 5'9", because if i had to move either the passenger or driver front seats back, they would push the carseat up.

Roof basket is nice for putting the stroller on top too during long trips. I bought one on craigslist for $150.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I plan on getting some Thule bars and a basket for vacations/trips. I'll get a basket I can swap onto either the forester or the crosstrek. I was surprised about the little bit of extra room the crosstrek has over my outback sport.

Loving both cars though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Neseth View Post
    You'll appreciate the extra legroom in the forester for your child's carseat.
    We checked this out, and at least with our son's rear-facing seat, there was a tiny bit more space in the crosstrek. That said, his cat seat is behind the passenger seat, as I (the taller of my wife and I) drive more when both of us are in the car.

There is a bit more width in the forester for the second row seats, but not any extra legroom.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    How much was the rack?

mtbr member
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    I'm going to test drive a Crosstrek tomorrow. My local dealer has 2 orange ones - can't remember which trim level, one is $23K and $26K. Not many options. I really wanted one with a trailer hitch, which neither has, but I guess I can always have one installed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The limited which is the highest price level usually has a hitch as an option. It's not a hard install. I would just negotiate it at the time of the sale that their shop needs to either install it of pay to have a local shop install it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    I'm going to test drive a Crosstrek tomorrow. My local dealer has 2 orange ones - can't remember which trim level, one is $23K and $26K. Not many options. I really wanted one with a trailer hitch, which neither has, but I guess I can always have one installed.
    Prefer the 2" torklift ecohitch anyways. $250, I would negotiate that into the price either way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I went with the Curt 2" hitch can be found on Amazon for around $120, took me about an hour to install it by myself. Pretty simple. Factory hitch is around $500 I think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes, but the forklift looks like an OEM hitch, the rest of the hitch is tucked up and only the box receiver is shown like many factory hitches do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

You'll appreciate the extra legroom in the forester for your child's carseat. I have a 2008 impreza, and when my son was born, i had to put the carseat in the middle, and luckily i'm only 5'9", because if i had to move either the passenger or driver front seats back, they would push the carseat up.

Roof basket is nice for putting the stroller on top too during long trips. I bought one on craigslist for $150.
    I had twins in the 09 Impreza and it was super tight. Seats needed to be way forward and it was hard to drive.

mtbr member
    There is also a 2013 Crosstrek in Khaki on the lot with 28,000 miles, that seems a little high. There is also a new Impreza Premium, but the reviews I've read and a couple of YouTube videos really bash the Impreza for being under powered and blah. Might even test drive that one too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    There is also a 2013 Crosstrek in Khaki on the lot with 28,000 miles, that seems a little high. There is also a new Impreza Premium, but the reviews I've read and a couple of YouTube videos really bash the Impreza for being under powered and blah. Might even test drive that one too.
    Crosstrek has the same engine and is no doubt heavier, so don't expect much power there. Crosstrek is just a jacked up Impreza with a new name.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Crosstrek has the same engine and is no doubt heavier, so don't expect much power there. Crosstrek is just a jacked up Impreza with a new name.
    To be fair, there are a few improvements to the XV crosstek. But in the general sense, yes it's just a jacked up impreza.

I remember when it came out. They beefed up the oil/water cooling for the engine and trans to handle some towing, they revised some of the suspension geometry to accomadate lift, and not do it half baked with just larger springs and struts. The geometry is only minor, but it's something. Also, the body cladding to make it look more aggressive like an off roader. An upgraded rear differential, again for towing.

And because the XV crosstek is classified as an SUV, you're allowed to have tinted windows from the factory.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

The Crosstrek is a lot of car, but the performance on road won't be better than an Impreza since they both share the 2.0 and the Crosstrek likely weighs more. The 2.5 would've helped a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Crosstrek owner

S/O just got a new 2014 crosstrek limited.

we're planning to use it for many hike/bike/ski trips to avoid having to drive my work truck everywhere.

wondering about bike rack options.

planning on getting oem aero bars, like these....
    2012 2014 Subaru Impreza 5 Door XV Crosstrek Aero Roof Cross Bars Set New | eBay

no problems with a typical fork/tray rack, don't want a hitch rack. just wondering what type(s) from thule/yakima/rockymounts fit those aero bars so i can start searching ebay/craigslist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    The XV hates going over 70mph. It can and will but your mpg drops quickly. Accept what this car is and be happy.
    Agreed. Here's my gas usage lately. 15k miles on mine (limited) and I'd say ~25% of the miles are with a bike on the back. I have a long commute to work (50 miles each way) and average about 70-75mph.

The most recent fillup (26.6mpg) was basically an entire tank with the bike on the rack. (I was on vacation )

Happy with it overall, bike rack obviously hurts MPG a bit but even in the best of conditions and on tanks without any bike hauling I've only broken 30MPG once or twice.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post

wondering about bike rack options.

planning on getting oem aero bars, like these....
    2012 2014 Subaru Impreza 5 Door XV Crosstrek Aero Roof Cross Bars Set New | eBay

no problems with a typical fork/tray rack, don't want a hitch rack. just wondering what type(s) from thule/yakima/rockymounts fit those aero bars so i can start searching ebay/craigslist.
    I'm wondering the same thing. Bought a Crosstrek for my daughter but I'll be using it as a DD until she's got more driving experience under her belt (gets much better gas mileage then my Jeep). Thinking roof rack over hitch rack since it already came with the crossbars. Is there a reason people are opting for hitch rack over roof?

Quote Originally Posted by w1kk3d View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. Bought a Crosstrek for my daughter but I'll be using it as a DD until she's got more driving experience under her belt (gets much better gas mileage then my Jeep). Thinking roof rack over hitch rack since it already came with the crossbars. Is there a reason people are opting for hitch rack over roof?
    picked up factory crossbars today and a used yakima 'forklift' which fits well without any adapters.

my 5'4" s/o struggles to get a road bike up there though. so that's probably the downside for some, with it being a pretty tall car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I own a crosstrek and just don't understand why people use roof racks. The gas mileage is horrible. Just put a hitch on your cross and get a nice hitch rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNickels View Post
    I own a crosstrek and just don't understand why people use roof racks. The gas mileage is horrible. Just put a hitch on your cross and get a nice hitch rack.
    Yup. The hitch is also quieter than the roof racks. I have the OEM roof racks as well, and they are obnoxious - they live in my basement now until ski season. I paid ~$150 or something for the Curt hitch off Amazon, and install took me 20 minutes alone in my driveway.

.2c
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    We are loving our Crosstrek...
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

wondering if studded snow tires are worth it? (Colorado) i know its a really good snow car with the factory all-season tires, but i imagine studs would make it nearly unstoppable.

thoughts? experiences?

Elitest thrill junkie
    wondering if studded snow tires are worth it? (Colorado) i know its a really good snow car with the factory all-season tires, but i imagine studs would make it nearly unstoppable.

thoughts? experiences?
    If you live somewhere that the snow and ice remains on the ground for 4 months or more, with no pavement showing through, yes, they are worth it. I'd assume you live in Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Pagosa Springs, etc?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I had the XV for two winters and it did ok in the snow with all season rubber but if I lived in a mt town I would absolutely have gone with dedicated winter tires. Look at the General Altimax Arctic for the best value/performance and get some cheapo 16" steelies off a Forester or Impreza from a salvage yard.

As far as roof rack vs hitch - Go with the hitch. Bikes on the roof will ruin your gas mileage, they're loud and like was mentioned reaching up there safely can be a challenge if you're under about 6 feet tall. The factory bars are also slightly curved so the bikes don't stand straight up and that always weirds me out especially if you use fork mount racks because of the stress it puts on the dropouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    If you live somewhere that the snow and ice remains on the ground for 4 months or more, with no pavement showing through, yes, they are worth it. I'd assume you live in Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Pagosa Springs, etc?
    golden, front range. usually snow/ice is only a real issue for commuting ~10 days a year. but will be skiing/powder daying a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Subaru XV Crosstrek

golden, front range. usually snow/ice is only a real issue for commuting ~10 days a year. but will be skiing/powder daying a lot.
    You don't need them. Get ready to pass truck based SUVs as they slide off the road. These can go through 18" of fresh powder no problem with half bald car tires (I've done it in wet PNW show).

Elitest thrill junkie
    At high altitude in the rockies, it's less of an issue, as snow and ice sublimate from surfaces like roads over time with any kind of plowing.

The studs are useful because here in Alaska we get ice that simply stays on the ground and never goes away (during the winter months I mentioned above), like a hockey-rink. It's not like driving on snow, where there's relatively good traction. If you're going up to those ski resorts, the issue will be falling or new-fallen snow, not the same deal that we have to drive on here or in some of the upper-great lakes areas.

Luckily winter hasn't hit yet in Alaska (currently well above freezing) and it looks like it won't for at least another few weeks, but the downside is that there is no fat-biking yet either.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you actually lived IN those resort towns, then maybe, and even then only for the ones that really get hit hard, because the roads to the houses and residential areas often do not get the care that the resort-roads get. Otherwise, no.

You don't need them. Get ready to pass truck based SUVs as they slide off the road. These can go through 18" of fresh powder no problem with half bald car tires (I've done it in wet PNW show).
    good to know, thanks!

Your Best Friend
    I'd skip the factory roof bars and go with the Thule aero bars. They hold 3 bikes across the top of the XV, all perfectly level. I don't get any extra cabin wind noise from them. My XV has always had the bike racks since day one so I don't know a difference in gas mileage (from the few times I've run without them). I also have a hitch rack. I use the hitch rack whenever I only need to carry two bikes as it's easier and more efficient. If I only had one, I'd go with the hitch rack.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just traded in my Nissan Frontier for a 14 Crosstrek. Extremely pleased after 4 days and 200 miles. I'm having a hitch installed Friday. I'm going hitch rack simply because I'm tired of pulling the front tire off, especially on my fat bike, every time I want to ride. It also leaves the roof rack to carry paddleboards etc.

mtbr member

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Just traded in my Nissan Frontier for a 14 Crosstrek. Extremely pleased after 4 days and 200 miles. I'm having a hitch installed Friday. I'm going hitch rack simply because I'm tired of pulling the front tire off, especially on my fat bike, every time I want to ride. It also leaves the roof rack to carry paddleboards etc.
    I switched to a hitch rack from a roof rack a few years ago for similar reasons. You're going to love it. It's so much better.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Allo,

I just bought a 2013 Crosstrek Limited. Anyone have/tried a Thule Force XL (625) Cargo box ? (subaru crossbar). Dimension are 84X34.5X17

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Prefer the 2" torklift ecohitch anyways. $250, I would negotiate that into the price either way.
    Question for the torklift users, did you have to trim the stinger of your rack in order to not hit the muffler?

I can't believe I've been putting my bike in the back for over a year and a half...

mtbr member
    I had my 2" receiver installed at a shop which basically just made one in the same position as the ecohitch, and I didn't have to cut the stinger at all (1up Quik Rack). They also installed a plate at the end of the receiver to prevent me from accidentally shoving something into the muffler.
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    About a week away from buying a Limited...either '14 or '15. Good deals out there on '14s but man, the infotainment and dash look much more refined on the '15s.

Couple of questions:

Any, more substantive differences between the '14 and '15 that I might have missed? My understanding via this thread and others is that it's really just the touchscreen that's changed.

For those of you with leather, how's it holding up to the MTB lifestyle? Anyone with dogs? How worried do I have to be about protecting it from dirt and paws and stuff?

The Forklift Ecohitch seems to be a favorite. Easy to install alone, or should I have a shop do it? I'm reasonably handy...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This is a great site for learning about Subys and the changes from year to year.
    2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek research webpage- Premium, Limited, Hybrid, Hybrid Touring