Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Just Ride!
    Picked up my Blue Limited XV last Saturday. After test driving several other vehicles, I am very pleased with my choice. It came down to the XV or Tiguan, but could not justify the extra cash for a turbo with less space and lesser looks, even though it was very quick and nimble. I will probably add a receiver hitch and hood guard soon. I was somewhat forced to give my '10 Mazda 3 GT Hatch to my daughter since she totaled her Jetta. Must admit I now lack a bit of technology, but I'll get over that when the snow flies!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well after a couple of months of shopping and test driving, I decided on a Limited XV Crosstrek. I even picked it up on my wife's birthday

racks to come soon, I am having a hard time deciding on racks but that is another thread.

mtbr member
    Got ours 3 weeks ago, and went on her first long trip for 3 days. Had a wonderful time she got between 29 and 33.9 MPG! Works for me!! Hard not to "stand on it" since we are still braking her in. But my bike and all our "stuff' fit just fin inside her. My wife and I both admit we did pick up a new habit:"Looking For Other Subies" while we did our 700 mile trip.

(I did try to post some pics of our trip, but I kept posting "imge".??}
    Last edited by IRONMAN1518; 08-10-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by simple78 View Post
    Well after a couple of months of shopping and test driving, I decided on a Limited XV Crosstrek. I even picked it up on my wife's birthday
    Nice-looking XV. I'd love to score those wheels to put on my Outback. They look pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMAN1518 View Post
    Got ours 3 weeks ago, and went on her first long trip for 3 days. Had a wonderful time she got between 29 and 33.9 MPG! Works for me!! Hard not to "stand on it" since we are still braking her in. But my bike and all our "stuff' fit just fin inside her. My wife and I both admit we did pick up a new habit:"Looking For Other Subies" while we did our 700 mile trip.

(I did try to post some pics of our trip, but I kept posting "imge".??}
    I think you will see even better MPG after a few thousand miles. For pictures, I would just sign up for a Photobucket account. Easiest way to post.

mtbr member
    I'm about to be a member of the crosstrek club. We were actually supposed to get one last week, but the one we wanted (which was at the dealership across town) was all scratched up? Sounds weird, but they gave us a loaner for a week or two.

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on the geolanders in winter? A few reviews online say they're terrible and a few say they're great. We don't get a ton of snow, but we get 6 solid months of winter and ice and the occasional temperature down to -40.

I am too lazy to have a dedicated set of winter tires, so the debate is whether to try the Yokohamas this winter, or to switch to Nokian WRGs right away and to try to get a few bucks back for the Yokohamas.

mtbr member
    Well, just got finished with the 3000 mile oil change. 0W-20 oil flows out like water. Crazy thin.

Didn't need to jack it up, and having the filter up top was a nice touch. Pretty drama free as far as an oil change goes.

Just Ride!
    Wasn't that supposed to be free at your dealer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I'm about to be a member of the crosstrek club. We were actually supposed to get one last week, but the one we wanted (which was at the dealership across town) was all scratched up? Sounds weird, but they gave us a loaner for a week or two.

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on the geolanders in winter? A few reviews online say they're terrible and a few say they're great. We don't get a ton of snow, but we get 6 solid months of winter and ice and the occasional temperature down to -40.

I am too lazy to have a dedicated set of winter tires, so the debate is whether to try the Yokohamas this winter, or to switch to Nokian WRGs right away and to try to get a few bucks back for the Yokohamas.
    I think we got Continental tires with our Outback (last year). We get a pretty good dumping in the winter time, too, so we were debating whether to get snow tires. We held off to see how it would do in the snow. Actually did fairly well with the AWD. Stopping was ok, but never got stuck with AWD. Just have to be really careful and try not to go out in snow or icy days.

This year, I'll be getting dedicated snow tires (Blizzak). There is just no substitute for good snow tires. If you think you will be driving in snow, ice or cold temps on a regular basis, I would get yourself another wheelset and get snow tires. I bought some Outback wheels on craigslist and will be getting some Blizzaks installed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    If you think you will be driving in snow, ice or cold temps on a regular basis, I would get yourself another wheelset and get snow tires.
    I'm lazy, but we also don't have any space for a second set. On the last car we had Nokian WRGs which are All-Weather as opposed to All-Season. They're not winter tires, but have a softer rubber compound and more aggressive tread that makes them better than all-season. I liked those just fine, so it's basically a choice between those or sticking with the OEM for awhile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Wasn't that supposed to be free at your dealer?
    Not that I know of. They never said it would be.

Besides, it was $15 for a K&N filter and $22 for five quarts of Mobil 1. I couldn't go anywhere and get a $37 full synthetic oil change. Next time, I'll buy the filter ahead of time off Amazon or somewhere and it'll be about $30 even. I'd be looking at $100 or more at the dealer.

Just Ride!
    My dealer must have wanted my business since they gave the first three changes free!

mtbr member
    My dealer must have wanted my business since they gave the first three changes free!
    Mine offered me two free changes, but I got them to agree to $200 more on the trade in instead. I wasn't going to be in the area long enough to use two oil changes, and $200 is worth more than two oil changes.

since 4/10/2009

Subaru XV Crosstrek

We got 3 years of scheduled maintenance plus 3 years of tires. Paid for it, but based on my estimate, worth what we paid. Especially since my wife is really bad about getting service done. At least since it's paid for, that obstacle is dealt with

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I hit 25,000 miles last night. Averaging a touch over 29mpg overall but 31 on summer gas. NO problems to report at all but I am starting to wonder about how much longer the tires will last, pretty sure I won't even want to try to go through the winter with them.

Answering the question about how they did last winter, they really were pretty good. I've had better but those were dedicated winter tires. If you don't want to get a second set you will most likely be fine, just don't drive like a moron.

mtbr member
    Subaru XV Crosstrek-img_1647.jpgOrdered and installed the Torklift Ecohitch, fits very nice, out of sight and out of the way!1 Got my Kuat rack and mounted just one of the bike racks to see how it will look.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Heh, I may have spoken a bit prematurely. Has anybody else experienced a funky rumble from the front end when accelerating from a stop with the steering wheel turned? It started a while back and was intermittent but has become a consistent thing now. The techs at my local dealer poopooed it and said it's normal, it's the transfer plates (in the CVT.) They said "have you ever tried an Outback, they're worse." It happens anytime the wheel is turned at all, forward or backwards.

Your Best Friend
    Nope. Good drivers don't start a turn until they are moving. Or worse, sit still with the wheel already turned.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    I'm at about 6500 miles on mine. These cars are excellent off road. From the weekend:

Subaru XV Crosstrek-528183_10151691811597875_886137870_n.jpg

And the immature, overgrown, man-baby that drives it:

Subaru XV Crosstrek-994022_4954903049530_2104146821_n.jpg

Labor Day coming out of Sedona on Schnebly Hill Rd:

Subaru XV Crosstrek-1170651_10151654764362875_1567026488_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Heh, I may have spoken a bit prematurely. Has anybody else experienced a funky rumble from the front end when accelerating from a stop with the steering wheel turned? It started a while back and was intermittent but has become a consistent thing now. The techs at my local dealer poopooed it and said it's normal, it's the transfer plates (in the CVT.) They said "have you ever tried an Outback, they're worse." It happens anytime the wheel is turned at all, forward or backwards.
    Well I haven't noticed anything on my Crosstrek (2200 miles) but found this, seems similar. Best I could do

Funky vibration/rumble

Edit: haha I just noticed Gravitylover was the one who posted in my link, sorry

Smarter Than He Looks
    Love mine. Limited, no moonroof/nav. 26mpg daily commute, 32mpg hiway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subaru XV Crosstrek-crosstrek.jpg  

mtbr member
    Picked up my limited today. Ordered 585 tongue weight hitch and am now looking at roof rack options. I like the Kuat Vagabond X but not sure if the fork mount will work with our bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If you are trying to mount a through-axle fork on a standard QR mount, Yakima makes adapters that will work with any roof rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    If you are trying to mount a through-axle fork on a standard QR mount, Yakima makes adapters that will work with any roof rack.
    Kuat recommends Hurricane adapters... Apparently they manufacture the component for Yak

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    can anyone comment on the driveability of the Crosstrek? I am intrigued by them but all the reviews I have been seeing, say that the engine is vastly underpowered.

I don't expect it to be a race car but at the same time, I wouldn't want it to be a lead sled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Has anyone put the Torklift Eco-Hitch on their Impreza (just the regular Impreza, not the XV)? I'm trying to figure out if it will work with my 1Up rack. How far recessed is the face of the hitch receiver from the face of the bumer cover? Or, another way of looking at it, is what is the distance from the surface of the bumper cover to the back of the hitch receiver? Thanks!

since 4/10/2009

Subaru XV Crosstrek

I am happy with ours. Took it out to a bike fest this past weekend. Regional IMBA rep had one. Saw a few other folks roll up with them. One dude asked about the hitch on ours.

It will go if you want it to. The CVT will rev kinda easily so I have taken to using the paddle shifters to force lower RPMs at times. My wife tends to push it though...claims to not notice (says she can neither hear nor feel the high RPMs but I don't think she is trying). I feel the RPMs through the gas pedal and I hear the engine fine. It is not luxury car quiet. It is much quieter and smoother than my Fit. Maybe because I am used to driving a stick I am more in tune with the car than the wife. I dunno. The high RPMs my wife pushes at times are only hurting mpg a little bit.

Handling is pretty good. It drives as though it is lower to the ground. I do not feel a bunch of excessive roll in roundabouts or freeway ramps. Haven't had it out in anything too rough yet. So far just a steep gravel road that would be tricky for traction in a 2wd vehicle and a big grassy field that was just a little bumpy but otherwise not an issue.

People whining that it's too slow here drive performance cars and only performance cars. Folks who aren't looking for a performance car seem to be happy with this one.

Keep in mind that I live in Indiana. I am not driving in high mountains all the time. IME, that kind of driving situation probably does warrant a little more opmph out of a car than driving the flatlands. It seems to make every car slower so having more power than necessary on the lowlands is probably just right in the mtns unless you are fine with feeling a little slow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    I am intrigued by them but all the reviews I have been seeing, say that the engine is vastly underpowered.
    I read that everywhere too, and after getting a crosstrek it just confirmed my belief that automobile journalists have serious compensation issues.

I've got the CVT, and it's fine. My wife drives it much more than I do, but I've done one highway trip, and everytime I passed someone I thought of those dumb reviews. ymmv of course, but right from the testdrive I could tell the reviews were out to lunch. I haven't towed or hauled anything though, and don't really plan to.

mtbr member
    can anyone comment on the driveability of the Crosstrek? I am intrigued by them but all the reviews I have been seeing, say that the engine is vastly underpowered.

I don't expect it to be a race car but at the same time, I wouldn't want it to be a lead sled.
    I live in the hills of southern CA and do not have any problems with the cars power... Pleasantly surprised so far

Just Ride!

I think that really depends on what vehicle is your standard. I came from a 2.5L Mazda GT and in comparison, the Crosstrek is a slug. On the other hand, If I compare it to my previous 2.3L Ford Ranger, the Crosstrek is a sure winner, so that is what i remind myself of.

Your Best Friend
    I pulled the High School team trailer up to Park City for our race this last Saturday. Trailer and gear maybe weighed 1200lbs. I was able to only go about 45mph up the hill on the freeway. I was still passing the big rigs but I had to have my flashers on. Otherwise, sometimes I feel the car is underpowered but I don't drive it in such a way as power is important. I have taken it on the White Rim trail in Moab and it cleared everything just fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Is that your Orange Crosstrek I saw at the RV race with the little trailer? I just picked up a red one for my wife but haven't taken up to PC yet or up a canyon to see how it performs. Don't plan on towing with it since I have a Toyota Highlander with the towing package but will be putting a hitch on it for a bike rack. Which hitch did you go with? Nice to hear that it handles the White Rim trail. I was just wondering about that the other day.

Your Best Friend
    Yes, that was me. I have the 2" Curt Hitch on it and have had a variety of hitch racks on it, from 2 bikes to 4, and of course the trailer. I also have a three bike Thule sidearm rack on the roof.

mtbr member

I've got the five speed and I live at 7000ft. If you want it to move, it needs to be north of 4000 RPM. It's kind of "spirited" to drive, but it needs throttle if you want it to go quick.

Single Speed Junkie
    I've been looking at Subaru as a replacement option here for a while. I really like the crosstrek from a looks and capacity standpoint. Today I had my first chance at a test drive. Ride felt sporty as expected. Merging on the interstate was scary. Test drive vehicle was an auto with manual paddles an an option. One highway merge I left it in auto with the pedal to the metal. I've read the car was slow but dang I was not expecting that little. Next highway merge I slapped it over to manual downshifting a few. Was not till the engine hit 6,000RPM I felt a little acceleration. Redline looked to be 6,500RPM. I also test drove an Outback which is a more likely vehicle for us. I would agree with Eazy "needs throttle if you want it to go."

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    I've been looking at Subaru as a replacement option here for a while. I really like the crosstrek from a looks and capacity standpoint. Today I had my first chance at a test drive. Ride felt sporty as expected. Merging on the interstate was scary. Test drive vehicle was an auto with manual paddles an an option. One highway merge I left it in auto with the pedal to the metal. I've read the car was slow but dang I was not expecting that little. Next highway merge I slapped it over to manual downshifting a few. Was not till the engine hit 6,000RPM I felt a little acceleration. Redline looked to be 6,500RPM. I also test drove an Outback which is a more likely vehicle for us. I would agree with Eazy "needs throttle if you want it to go."
    i was strongly considering the crosstrek, but after test drives, feeling the power difference, and weighing the value for my dollar i ended up with a 2010 outback.
    more cargo space inside, integrated load bars on the roof, lumbar in the driver seat was a big one personally. and i can still average 30+ out on the highway. i have even had 500+ mile trips that averaged 33.

i am super stoked on the Outback, and really glad i didnt end up with a crosstrek.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Yes, that was me. I have the 2" Curt Hitch on it and have had a variety of hitch racks on it, from 2 bikes to 4, and of course the trailer. I also have a three bike Thule sidearm rack on the roof.
    Any trouble with the rack scraping when going through a steep dip? Wondering if I should go with the Curt or the Torklift hitch that sits behind the bumper. If I could find a hitch rack that was compact enough to allow the rear hatch to open while it is folded up that would be cool too.

As far as power goes. I have had no trouble merging on the freeway when I have driven the car. But this is my wife's car and she is a lead foot so perhaps the smaller engine will mean less money spent on speeding tickets. LOL

since 4/10/2009
    yeah, highway merging has not been an issue for me. Ramps here tend to be plenty long, so you really don't have to tax any car to get up to speed. I have been places with super short ramps that could be issues, but I think that's a road design problem, not a car problem.

Wahoo!
    Sep 2004
    Nice setup.
    I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death.

Your Best Friend
    I like the Curt hitch because it is much easier to access vs the torklift. IMO the only thing the only the torklift has going for it is image, or lack of it. I like that the Curt sits below the bumper, it adds some bottom out protection although I've never needed it. The back wheels are so close to the back of the car, you get a really good departure angle. Like I've said, I did the White Rim trail in this car and never scraped, not even once.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cool thanks for the info. Maybe I'll see you Saturday at the race, I help coach the Alta team. I sure hope the trails are dry!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

EcoHitch Sale

For anyone interested in the EcoHitch from Torklift Central, all Subaru models are $25 off until October 31st, 2013.

Use promo code: spooktacular13

Subaru EcoHitch Sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks, I put my order in today!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ehh power whatever. It would be nice but that isn't the case so I live with it. I've only come up really short a few times in over 30k miles. Need new tires soon but otherwise bombproof reliable. I'd buy it again...

mtbr member
    Anybody else think they should have leased it instead? Some of the things I've done to that poor car....It's gonna be worn out when I'm done with it.

Doesn't help that the hiking club on campus has a few other guys with Subarus and we all tend to do dirtbag things when we're together.

Just Ride!
    Define a dirtbag thing, then maybe we can have a better perspective of whether you should lease!

mtbr member
    Define a dirtbag thing, then maybe we can have a better perspective of whether you should lease!
    *traction control off* Slam into mudholes, grab the e-brake, dirt road rallye, donuts, drifting, rock climbing, red line shifts, drag races, etc. You know, the stuff you'd expect teenagers to do the first time they get their Dad's keys. We can be a little rowdy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looking to replace my current Honda Fit. Curious as to whether or not you can fit a 29er standing up inside like I can with the Fit? Actually i can do two 29ers inside the Fit… One is enough though. Will this work in the XV Crosstrek or do I need to consider a Forester?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LennieM View Post
    Looking to replace my current Honda Fit. Curious as to whether or not you can fit a 29er standing up inside like I can with the Fit? Actually i can do two 29ers inside the Fit… One is enough though. Will this work in the XV Crosstrek or do I need to consider a Forester?
    Not going to work in a Crosstrek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Not going to work in a Crosstrek.
    I can carry 6 bikes on the car. 4 in back and two on top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks LB412. It's fairly often that I need to keep a bike inside the car outdoors overnight. I'd have to rethink that if I got a Crosstrek.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast