mtbr member

Subaru Outback trailer hitch

I picked up my 2015 Outback 3.6R last night. Big change from my BMW 335i...still not sure if it was the right move but the price was right and I avoided $4000 in service and tires by dumping the 335i when I did.

Anyone have any experience with trailer hitches on these cars? Factory or third party? 1.5" or 2"?

I'm thinking about putting a One-Up on it.
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One 9

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not an outback, but I put a Kurt hitch on our crosstrek. It cost way less to do after market ($160 for the hitch and wiring harness), and they work just as well.

I would stick with 2". It gives more rigidity than having an adapter to allow you to use 2"racks. You don't lose anything except maybe $10. Not applicable specifically to the one up, but you don't want to limit yourself, do you?

I have towed a fair amount around town and to nearby rivets with or current crosstrek and outback when we had one. While it certainly isn't like towing with a 1 ton truck, both are remarkably capable for their size (plus I am remarkably willing to push their rated capacity, which is much lower in the USA than the same vehicle in other markets...you do the math).

powered by peanut butter.
    I got a Uhaul hitch installed on our 2011 Outback. 2'' receiver. No complaints so far. Pretty cheap.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have Torklift EcoHitch. The only thing visible is the hitch receiver. I personally don't like hitch frame hanging from the bumper... But you have to take off bumper, exhaust (well, off the hangers), and dremel the access hole to install bolts on a brand new car. Not for a weak heart (or a wife)

Subaru Outback trailer hitch-02.jpg

Subaru Outback trailer hitch-04.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake View Post
    I have Torklift EcoHitch. The only thing visible is the hitch receiver. I personally don't like hitch frame hanging from the bumper... But you have to take off bumper, exhaust (well, off the hangers), and dremel the access hole to install bolts on a brand new car. Not for a weak heart (or a wife)
    <object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://sharepic101.com/upload/14/clear.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://sharepic101.com/upload/14/clear.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://sharepic101.com/upload/15/clear.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://sharepic101.com/upload/15/clear.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
    I am considering getting one of those. Seems much better than my current setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    I am considering getting one of those. Seems much better than my current setup.
    Yea i like the clean look without the frame. Wish these were available when i bought my car.

I have a hidden hitch on my 2008 impreza, the frame on it is starting to rust, looks terrible. I touched it up with spray paint, but it still looks bad. That's only after 5 years, but because it gets sprayed by the wheels with dirt, water, salt, it rusts pretty quick i guess. If it were just the box without the frame, it wouldn't so much of an eyesore.

For the OP: This is the one you want. Torklift Central Stealth 2" 2015+ Subaru Outback Trailer Hitch No Drill | Torklift Central

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Aftermarket for sure. My dealer only offered the 1.5" receiver. I installed a HiddenHitch 2" receiver on my 2011 Outback this summer from etrailer.com. It was a 3 hour install for hole drilling (inside cargo area), hitch, and wiring harness. I went with the 2" to not limit options and I already have a few things for 2" (cargo carrier, trailer hitch, etc)

mtbr member
    We put the OEM one on our 2014. I dislike it because it sticks out to far. I had an aftermarket on my WRX that didn't stick out at all. Also, my rack wobbles more on the OEM Outback rack vs. the aftermarket one.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member

Subaru Outback trailer hitch

After market 2" is the way to go. I'll be getting one on my 2015 Outback after the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    For a 2015 Outback, if you go after-market for adding a trailer hitch, do you have any recommendations for a vendor to install it? (I won't be installing it myself.) It sounds like 2" for flexibility/options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not sure if you want to weigh-in on best set-up for carting four bikes on an Outback? I like the idea of having the 2 trays (trailer hitch) on an Outback regularly, with the option of expanding it to four such as the Thule 916XT (2" receivers only). But I heard four bikes on a rear hitch can be so bouncy that it's not worth it. Can you speak to that? My Plan B would be two bikes on a hitch mount and then two on top. Though with the too-tight factory railings on a Forester, I could only fit a Rocketbox and one bike tray on top; I am not sure of how two bike trays and a Rocketbox will fit on top of a 2015 Outback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Summertime View Post
    For a 2015 Outback, if you go after-market for adding a trailer hitch, do you have any recommendations for a vendor to install it? (I won't be installing it myself.) It sounds like 2" for flexibility/options.
    2" is definitely the way to go. For our '13, we had Uhaul install it. Came out to ~$200 out the door. Great thing is it has a 100% lifetime warranty. Rust, accident, whatever, they'll replace it. I was going to do it myself, but most of the other hitch options were close to $200 for the part only, and when you figure NOT having to lay on your back for 2 hours...well, that was the closer. It has been great for the past 2.5 years.

Bike rack wise, we have a Thule 957 Parkway, so not a tray kind. But I've had 4 bikes back there (fairly hefty steel bikes) with no "bounciness". The tray kind does increase leverage, so maybe you'll feel that more. Not much help there.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Have you heard of EcoHitch for 2015 Outback? It comes in either 1 1/4 or 2 receiver sizes and is hidden behind the bumper - only the hitch receiver is visible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This perhaps is a silly question...but does adding a hitch affect your clearance? I had seen it mentioned that there may be drag in a steep driveway, but I thought they were referring to the area with the hitch and ball on top (that part that sticks out beyond the rear bumper). But perhaps you lose clearance towards the rear wheel area?

This perhaps is a silly question...but does adding a hitch affect your clearance? I had seen it mentioned that there may be drag in a steep driveway, but I thought they were referring to the area with the hitch and ball on top (that part that sticks out beyond the rear bumper). But perhaps you lose clearance towards the rear wheel area?
    It does decrease your departure angle, and there are parts that hang down a bit lower where it mounts. But even if you do scrape on the driveway or on trails, think of it as extra protection (skid plate).