Captain Climber

Subaru Crosstrek/Impeza Bike Rack Options

I'm assuming the same trailer hitch will work on both vehicles? But what are some options for a bike rack for these two vehicles? I just got both and would like to easily transfer one from the other if needed but I plan on driving the Impreza Sport mostly. I would think a roof rack style bike rack would be the easiest for this? I'd like to not take the front wheel off when transporting the bike if that is a good option on the roof. How about this rack? I've already got the side rails on the roof.

BTW, they are both 2014 models if that helps.

Subaru Impreza Roof Mounted Bike Rack 2012 2013, SubaruGenuineParts.com

You got this!
    Mar 2009
    I have a 2014 Crosstrek and a hitch rack like the one I linked below. I love it and I don't have to take the bikes apart, lift them up to the roof, and it doesn't kill my gas mileage as bad as the roof rack. If you want to move it from car to car once you have the hitches installed its as simple as removing the hitch bolt and moving it over.

TransIt Flatbed 2DLX 2-Bike Hitch Rack - Hitch Mount

Captain Climber
    You know, as I researched this I realized I need to buy a cross bar kit. So for the price of two of those I could probably get two hitches. Which hitch is recommended for these two cars?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    On my '13 Outback, I went with a Uhaul hitch. It was ~$170 installed with lifetime warranty. Took them about an hour. I looked at other hitch options, but Uhaul was priced right and readily available locally. Plus it was winter time and didn't want to mess with laying under the car in the cold.

I have a regular Yakima hitch rack with the two prongs sticking out, as all my bikes are hardtails. For tray kind, I think I would opt for the Swingdaddy for the ease of getting the rear hatch open.

I have crossbars as well, but MPG hit and possible damage from low hanging objects (ie garage) makes the hitch rack a better option for me.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by wholesalestunna View Post
    I have a 2014 Crosstrek and a hitch rack like the one I linked below. I love it and I don't have to take the bikes apart, lift them up to the roof, and it doesn't kill my gas mileage as bad as the roof rack. If you want to move it from car to car once you have the hitches installed its as simple as removing the hitch bolt and moving it over.

TransIt Flatbed 2DLX 2-Bike Hitch Rack - Hitch Mount
    Thanks wholesaletuna! I'll check that out. The price isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    On my '13 Outback, I went with a Uhaul hitch. It was ~$170 installed with lifetime warranty. Took them about an hour. I looked at other hitch options, but Uhaul was priced right and readily available locally. Plus it was winter time and didn't want to mess with laying under the car in the cold.

I have a regular Yakima hitch rack with the two prongs sticking out, as all my bikes are hardtails. For tray kind, I think I would opt for the Swingdaddy for the ease of getting the rear hatch open.

I have crossbars as well, but MPG hit and possible damage from low hanging objects (ie garage) makes the hitch rack a better option for me.
    Thanks physcle! I think I will go for a tray kind so I'll also check out a swingdaddy. I saw a guy one time with a nice hitch mount rake that was also a repair stand. I might have to find one like that.

Kuat NV. Not cheap. Events like this (Brown County Breakdown camping/riding festival in Indiana) are why I wanted the NV.

paired with a Torklift ECO hitch that uses the bumper cutout on the Crosstrek. More expensive than many other options, but with the clean look my wife wanted.

hitch rack is BY FAR easier to swap between vehicles than roof racks. As you can see, we have crossbars on ours, too, but we use them for the canoe exclusively. We have two cars with crossbars to handle shuttling the boat. I don't have a hitch on my car. Mostly because it cannot take a 2" receiver (Honda Fit only has crappy hitches available). But also because the bikes fit fine inside the car. I have fork blocks mounted on a piece of wood inside. The Crosstrek isn't tall enough inside to do this.

Captain Climber
    Nice Nate! Is that repair stand good? Is it the only rack with a repair stand? Did you install the hitch yourself? I'm full of questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Nice Nate! Is that repair stand good? Is it the only rack with a repair stand? Did you install the hitch yourself? I'm full of questions
    it's the only one I know with a repair stand. The stand is better than having no stand at all, for sure. My regular workstand in the basement does not collapse down for traveling well, so having one on the hitch rack really helps out. I would like to have a second stand, though. The clamp is simple, but it holds. It's a theft risk because it attached with a QR only, so I keep the stand inside the car when not using it. You can see the empty workstand receptacle on the 2nd pic. I know a lot of people around here don't do that, but I'm no fool.

I did not install the hitch myself. I could have, but I didn't have a good place to do the work. There's a mechanic at our local Subie dealership that does a little work on the side, so I paid him to do it. He charged less than a shop would charge do do the install job. Only drawback of this hitch for me is that installing the hitch pin requires you to lay on your back to get behind the bumper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Jem7, my mistake on the Swingdaddy. They don't come with trays. Wish they did though. I think the swing design is much better than tilt down feature. Getting to the cargo with a hitch full of bikes sucks.

The Kuat above is pretty nice. I do like the bike stand and looks best out of all other racks. Thule T2's are nice as well.