mtbr member
    May 2009

Which style of Yakima roof mounted bike rack?

I already have a Yakima rack on my car that I use haul my kayak around and want to add a bike rack. Is there a benifit to either the fork mount roof racks or the ones were both wheel are left on? I was thinkning of either the Yakimia King Cobra of HighRoller, or should I consider a frok mounted rack? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I prefer the type that you leave both wheels on. I don't like having to deal with taking the wheel on and off if I don't have too. I currently use Thule Big Mouth carriers on my Yakima rack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I prefer the ones which both wheels are on. More convenient imo because even if you remove the wheel, you still need to stash it.

I have a HighRoller.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I like the High Roller. Works great with my mt bikes and road bikes.

Nuts
    If you decide to go fork mount you might want to check out the Rocky Mounts Pitchfork. Awesome tray rack for the price.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a Yak Rack as well and recently went through the same dilemna. Of course I wanted a Yakima bike rack so I could have matching locking cores initially. So, I looked at the King Cobra, High Roller, and their top of the line fork mounts. Then, I saw a RockyMounts Pitchfork at a store and that was it. The pitchfork is hands down a step above anything that anyone else makes. And it's cheaper. I didn't want to go through the "hassle" (like 30 seconds?) of removing my wheels every time out, but in hindsight I'm glad I did. I read about people with King Cobras who had their bikes fall over. I'm sure it's less than 1% of owners, but that won't be me. Not on my car, and not with my bikes. I think the fork mount is much stabler. The pitchfork locks to the rack and you lock the fork to the pitchfork. 100% secure. Check them out at orsdirect.com . Oh yeah, the pitchforks look better on the car without the bike than all the plasticky yakima/thule racks. If you must have a tire grabbing roof mount solution, look at the thule sidearm.

otb member
    I just switched from on old fork mount Yakima to a King Cobra. Had to change racks since my new bike has a 20mm TA up front with no quick release. I really like the King Cobra although I am not 100% sure about the lock mechanism. Seems kinda chinsy...
    But I like it enough to get a second one to match for the wife's bike. I really like the ease of not pulling of the wheels and the extra space in the trunk of not having the wheels in there.
    The wheels on my bike go 'round and 'round

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Went with the Rocky Mount Pitchfork and i really like it. I went with a fork mount because they are more narrow and I will be hauling two bike around and still need to leave room for my yak. I ordered from ORS and I was very happy with dealing with them. Thanks for all the replies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Highroller. Very secure, very easy to use.

J.