mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Storing a hitch mount rack in a small apt?

I just picked up a sweet new Kuat NV Core. But this sucker is 40 pounds heavy and HUGE! I live in a small apt and don't have a lot of available floor or storage space.

I was thinking of mounting a couple of L-brackets to the wall, or a large eye screw with webbing and carabiner, to keep it out of the way when not in use.

Anyone have a creative solution to this storage problem? Bonus points for pics.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Good luck lol. This is one reason I sold my Kuat NV. Now I'm able to store my hitch rack in my trunk.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

Elitest thrill junkie
    Good question too. I have mine in my apartment, but it's going to be a pain taking it to my garage. The garage is kind of shared, but access is limited as well. I don't really trust everyone there, but I could always go and lock it in a box there. Or just carry it down when I put it on my car. It's not too far, but yeah, it's bulky and I'd rather not.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

ballbuster
    Is there room in the trunk of your car?

code: mtbr2011
    rackstash...you can even store your bikes on the rack while it's in your apt.

Rack Stash - hitch rack storage for hitch mount bike rack, ski rack, snowboard racks, cargo rack

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I also live in an apartment on the 3rd floor. Such a hassle to drag up and down the stairs! I store my rack on this super convenient mount that I put on my car. Now it's out of the way in my apt and whenever I want to go for a ride, it's ready to go on my car. Win-Win!

Storing a hitch mount rack in a small apt?-screen-shot-2013-04-24-9.22.47-am.jpg

code: mtbr2011

Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    I also live in an apartment on the 3rd floor. Such a hassle to drag up and down the stairs! I store my rack on this super convenient mount that I put on my car. Now it's out of the way in my apt and whenever I want to go for a ride, it's ready to go on my car. Win-Win!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 9.22.47 AM.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	793367

mtbr member extraordinair
    ^ Ha!

Sarcasm aside, I was wondering myself why you wouldn't just leave it locked to your car??
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    ^ Ha!

Sarcasm aside, I was wondering myself why you wouldn't just leave it locked to your car??
    Personally, I don't know. That is exactly what I do. 4 years and I think I've taken it off once (apart from moving between cars, etc).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ^ Ha!

Other activities, which are hatchback intensive, include whitewater kayaking, rock climbing and dogs. I went with a hitch mount rack because I DIDN'T want to have it on my vehicle all the time.

So it sounds like other garage-less heathens just kinda' suck it up and deal with it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    ^ Ha!

Because there's no such thing as "locked and "secure". Because we use our vehicles for other things. Mountain biking every single day would be fun, but I just don't have the time with rock climbing, running, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, fishing, and many other things. Leaving it on is also asking for a ticket from law enforcement for plate obscuration, but there are ways around that, it's just nice to be able to take it off and not have it on when we're not using it for MTB, which is really the majority of the time.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    they sell "cups" at bed bath and beyond that prop your bed up then maybe u could slide the rack under your bed. not sure exactly what they are called it looks a cup upside down then the bed post sits on top raises the bed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    should have gotten a 1up.