mtbr member
    Jul 2010

still hoping for high mileage AWD minivan..

I posted this on the Ford cMax forum - but thought I'd post a pic of a 4WD, turbo diesel Mitsubishi Delica - it looks like the ultimate mountain bike vehicle - tall but squat minivan/jeep hybrid:

Unfortunately the cMax won't work for me. I love my '95 AWD SC/LE Previa which I purchased new and now has 240,000 mi, as with the 2 rear seats folded up, I can easily put two mountain bikes in with both wheels on both bikes, and still have 4 seats (although with two bikes only 3 seats are useable on a long drive as one of the bike handlebars has to take up a little of the head space of one of the two middle seats). Someday I'll have to buy something new and I'd like to find something soon that gets excellent gas mileage and has AWD. I won't want to take off the front wheel, and I won't want a rack (various reasons, such as winter salt on roads, fear of being rear-ended with a $9K bike, and a roof rack's both a hassle for me at 5'-8" and also adds major drag). Maybe Chrysler's upcoming minivan will be the ticket. I saw a Mitsubishi Delica in Arizona last month - unavailable in the US - but I'd love to have one - the one I saw was 4WD & diesel with right side steering and BC license - looks like a squat and tall minivan...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails still hoping for high mileage AWD minivan..-delica_.jpg  

mtbr member
    sweeet
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Delicas are super common all around British Columbia right now.

All ex-Japan imports so all right hand drive (bit of a drag). Not sure how the parts supply is but they are very popular with the ski and bike bums.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    you can get a sienna with AWD (but with run-flat tires)

Rohloff
    That old Previa AWD was a nice vehicle. Not only AWD but it sat up a little higher giving it a little extra clearance. The Sienna AWD is nice but sits real low.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah I just put 3000 miles on a rental sienna- the gas mileage is not good. thanks

mtbr member
    Just go with a full size Express AWD. I get 18-20 mpg all day long on the highway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What have you done, Junebug? Did you hit someone with the Previa?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wait a second, that's a pic of a Pajero / Montero in the OP
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy