Thread: Sprinter vans

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sprinter vans

What do you folks think of Mercedes (aka freightliner) Sprinter vans for MTB adventure vehicles?

Muskoka
    Ideal I would think, lots of room and good fuel economy being diesel. I can tell you that Benz service is not the cheapest, at least here in Canada.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Ideal I would think, lots of room and good fuel economy being diesel. I can tell you that Benz service is not the cheapest, at least here in Canada.
    Problem is that there is not AWD option. I wonder if any forum members can share their Sprinter bike setups?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by End_User View Post
    Problem is that there is not AWD option. I wonder if any forum members can share their Sprinter bike setups?
    There are plenty of Sprinter 4x4 conversions. Here's one Sprinter 4x4

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have heard nothing but good things about those vans. A friend of mine's cycling team has one and he says it has a great turning radius and are very fuel efficient. I always thought that they look like a roll over waiting to happen but according to my buddy they are stable and he's driven in high winds just fine.
    I think it would be and excellent choice for what you are looking to do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    They are great

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    I think the Sprinter would be the ultimate cycling vehicle - tons of space and great mpg with the diesel engine. I have a Ford Transit Connect (poor man's Sprinter) and it is nice but much smaller and gets no better mpg than the Sprinter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    We have a couple of these at the company I work for, set up as ambulances though. Spent a good amount of time driving these and I rather enjoy the experience. I think it'd make a great team vehicle. front seats plus 1 bench row with some side wall mounted hooks and a bench/fridge setup would be killer.

Muskoka
    One negative...I don't think MB galvanizes the bodies on these! Living as I do where we have winter and road salt I notice that many of them are turning into rust buckets as they age Bummer because they are not exactly cheap!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Does a sprinter allow you to do things other vehicles can't? For example, I am thinking you can use a 144" wheelbase sprinter to seat 5 people (1 row of seats behind driver), and still be able to store ~6 bikes fully assembled with front wheels attached. The bikes would be secure and clean to boot. Are there ANY other vehicles that can do that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    One negative...I don't think MB galvanizes the bodies on these!
    Underbody has a PVC coating, pretty tough, but the paint is kinda lame on them, at least the white paint on 2002-2006 models. I would not want to own one back east seeing how the paint on mine has failed out west.

Quote Originally Posted by End_User View Post
    What do you folks think of Mercedes (aka freightliner) Sprinter vans for MTB adventure vehicles?
    Pretty aesome for sure, I have an 03 158" wheel base high roof.

The only way to own one is to work on it yourself IMO, I don't let anyone else work on any of my vehicles though.

As far as MPGs go, I am a geek when it comes to keeping track of that stuff..

No wind, 65 MPH = 25 MPG

No wind 74 MPH = 21 MPG

I got my van used with 72,000 miles on the clock, right after I got it I had to spend $1000 on parts and a rebuilt high pressure fuel pump, if I had paid for the work from a dealer it would have been ~$5000, thankfully I have a nice set of tools and know how to use them

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post

Pretty aesome for sure, I have an 03 158" wheel base high roof.

:
    Got any pics of your setup?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    None handy, I can get some tomorrow, it's set up pretty well right now, electric fridge, solar panel, stove, running water, inverter, full size super comfy bed with a ton of storage underneath...

mtbr member
    I always thought that they look like a roll over waiting to happen but according to my buddy they are stable and he's driven in high winds just fine.

Gas
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Those who have the sprinter van with the diesel always brag about the great mileage. My only problem is I need 4x