mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Shuttle van type rack? (holds crank arm)

I've been looking at various racks on the market, and also considering building my own. You know the kind that shuttle companies use on the roof of their vans, just a giant platform/deck with tubes sticking straight up that your crank arm drops into? How come no bike rack for "civilians" is made that way?

I've been trying to find/design something that would work with my mt bike, fatbike, 26"/700/20" commuter bikes with fenders, electric bikes, long-tail cargo bike, etc. I haven't found anything that will work for all of those. But they all have cranks, and i think they all would work with a shuttle van type rack. So, before i build one and find out there's some good reason why that doesn't work, can someone save me the trouble and tell me what's wrong with that idea?

Shuttle van type rack? (holds crank arm)-cog-wild-rack.jpg
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    One thing I'd worry about is if it scratches the crank arm. I have no issue with scratches and dents from riding and crashing, but scratches from others things bothers me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, i could put some rubber dip or bedliner spray or UHMW plastic or something like that in there to protect cranks.

I could throw a bungee or strap over the bike to make sure it couldn't bounce up and out of the rack, although i think that's pretty much impossible anyway unless you drive over a cliff. Cable lock for security.

This has got to be about the most simple and universal way to carry bikes, and yet i've never seen one in use other than commercial shuttles.

Variation in BB height between kids bikes and long travel mt bikes may be a little tough for this to handle, but i'd think it could accommodate about any adult sized bike. Kids bikes are cheap, they can sit there on the BB shell with a wheel off the ground, who cares.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    I was considring a similar idea in my van. Instead of building a rack where bikes can move around. Welding steel tubing in the floor in a few spots. Then you could put a few holes in the tubing for a pin to slide thru. Then have a smaller tube that slides inside so they are height adjustable. Then weld a 9/16 bolt on top. Pop a pedal and attach to the bike. Then theycan't go anywhere. This will be in the back of my van.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I don't know if i'd thread it into the crank arm in place of a pedal. That would be kind of a hassle and i'd be a little worried about eventually damaging a crank arm. But the general idea, if i understand it, is cool.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member

Shuttle van type rack? (holds crank arm)

Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    I don't know if i'd thread it into the crank arm in place of a pedal. That would be kind of a hassle and i'd be a little worried about eventually damaging a crank arm. But the general idea, if i understand it, is cool.
    I think it would be more for longer trips. Not have to worry about it moving at all. And given the amount of torque I put on the crank when riding I doubt the attachment would hurt anything. If anything gets damaged it would be b/c of cross threading.