Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    German dude

Show us your MINI Cooper

I hear that so many cyclists own a MINI Cooper or Cooper S and thought it would be fun if we all shared our vehicles here.
    We could also possibly meet up in May at the 4th annual MINIS on the Dragon. There is awesome mountain biking near there. :-)

So here is my 2005 Cooper S.

Herbert

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Not mine but a very good friend of mine.

More pictures here but I can't link to them because of the flash: http://www.jinsoku.com/
    click members then Jason Neumann.

life is a barrel o'fun
    I've been thinking about making a counterfeit Mini out of my Nissan Maxima. Some duct tape stripes and voila, nobody will be able to tell the difference!
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

My dream car

I will own one of those very soon. I AM SO EXCITED.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert
    I hear that so many cyclists own a MINI Cooper or Cooper S and thought it would be fun if we all shared our vehicles here.
    We could also possibly meet up in May at the 4th annual MINIS on the Dragon. There is awesome mountain biking near there. :-)

Herbert

mtbr member
    I don't have pictures of my '63 Mini Cooper S. The original, not some BMW!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalsGuard
    I will own one of those very soon. I AM SO EXCITED.

mtbr member
    I dont have a pic, but my GF has a 2005 Cooper S in black with a white top. Love the car

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Herbert

Nice Mini! What kind and size wheels are those?

Drove a CooperS for the first time last week. Loved it. Very tossable and a lot more interior room than I thought there would be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    I don't have pictures of my '63 Mini Cooper S. The original, not some BMW!
    i, too have a '63 mini cooper. no pics on my work computer, but i will get them up soon. right now it's my daily driver.

mtbr member
    Salami - Now thats a proper Mini. 100% Mini, 0% BMW.

I wouldn't touch a BMW Mini with a particularly long barge pole.

In the UK they are driven mainly by folk who are desperate to get onto the BMW ladder (estate agents, hairdressers etc) but can't quite afford a 3 series but are still unshackled by the 'badge blinkers' enough to see that the 1 series is a munter of a car (although only just more so than the plastic retro BMW Mini).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty and jim
    Salami - Now thats a proper Mini. 100% Mini, 0% BMW.
    Not entirely proper, there is a Honda engine under the hood. The owner does have Mini's running through his blood, he also has a pick up and van. He has had about 6 other older Minis. He had 2 of the newer ones with were promptly sold.

German dude
    Quote Originally Posted by TLud
    Nice Mini! What kind and size wheels are those?

Drove a CooperS for the first time last week. Loved it. Very tossable and a lot more interior room than I thought there would be.
    Those are Exel Race matte black 17" with Yokohama AVS ES-100 205/17-45 and I replaced the stock wheels with the runflat Dunlops immediately with these.

Herbert

German dude
    In the UK they are driven mainly by folk who are desperate to get onto the BMW ladder (estate agents, hairdressers etc) but can't quite afford a 3 series but are still unshackled by the 'badge blinkers' enough to see that the 1 series is a munter of a car (although only just more so than the plastic retro BMW Mini).
    I'd love to be on the BMW ladder too, but I think my other car (99 MCoupe) counts as a bastard cousin or black sheep to the BMW family only.

Herbert

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

What RU doing 4 fun this weekend?

Not my Cooper nor Excursion but a good biking friend drives a Cooper S and we have a 2K Excursion similar to the one below. I prefer to have my bikes and kayaks on my roof though.

I'll ask him to post a pic of his S (Euro spec?) here. Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'd love to be on the BMW ladder too, but I think my other car (99 MCoupe) counts as a bastard cousin or black sheep to the BMW family only.

Herbert
    Hey, there's nothing wrong with the "shoe."

...as long as your sub-frame doesn't give out.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Mini boob job

not mine...cool boob job though

German dude
    The Jittery Joe's Pro cycling team also has a very neat cool Cooper S as a team support car. Very unique in road racing.

Herbert

Litespeed
    www.litespeed.com

Whatever
    This thread is fairly old but I never thought to search MINI Cooper on MTBR! There are some updates by Francois and others here.

FWIW I have no desire to be in a BMW. I like a MINI for what it is and the statement it makes. Sure the old ones are the "real" MINI's but I have a kid, I mountain bike, I commute daily and take customers in it... the old one really would not fit well with my lifestyle. Still I'd love to have one as a 2nd car.

Here is mine...

FixMeUp!

Someone please move this CRAPPY thread.

I though the reason that there is a CAR/BIKER forum is so that all the freakin car addicts out there would have a place to hide and discuss their carbon burning, earth polluting, nature killing and ego stroking death machines.

Please move this thread there, I just freaking hate car culture.

And if you really want to know how I feel, go here...
    guaranteed to piss somebody off
    Automobile: Worst Invention or Best Invention?
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down.Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been eaten. Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten". Cree Indian saying

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here's a pic of my '06 Cooper S.

Going for a ride......
    Ooooh Yeah now a Mini - that's my dream car!
    I actually knew a man called John Cooper (not THE John Cooper obviously) & he brought a Mini (not a Cooper S though), I loved that yellow mustard coloured thing and loved them ever since!

This one's not mine!
    energetix

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My girlfriend's Mini. Her old one I should say. In May she traded it in for a Trailblazer. Much more practical. But definitely not as fun to drive.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TamJunkie
    I thought the reason that there is a CAR/BIKER forum is so that all the freakin car addicts out there would have a place to hide and discuss their carbon burning, earth polluting, nature killing and ego stroking death machines.
    Settle down. This thread was created long before the Car / Biker forum, Iím sure it will be moved soon now that it has been bumped back up.

Cool cars, but I must admit Iím a fan of the ďrealĒ Minis. There have been some very interesting 16 valve and motorbike engine transplants documented on the internet recently too. (sorry to the purists out there!)

Dave.

ballbuster

Yeah, but...

... BMWs don't handle like a go-kart.

And yes, it only has some styling cues in common with a real mini.

I drove my sis-in-law's Mini S, and dang! It was fast. Throttle response was krap, tho. Probably that drive-by-wire stuff. Give me a proper throttle cable any day.

I was reading up on the new Mini. Its a bit bigger, which begs the question is that even a mini? They've done away with the throttle body altogether, and they are now controlling the throttle with valriable valve lift. I wonder what mechnaisms make that work.

nobody
    I just freaking hate car culture.
    Then why waste time viewing/responding to this thread?
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

Flying Goat
    just thought you guys might enjoy some mini cooper gymkhana action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huVa_Pf0_3g

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    go-karts are RWD
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

ballbuster

You got me there...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    go-karts are RWD
    but 'handles like' was what I was getting at. Wheels at the corners, short wheelbase, that sorta stuff.

BMWs (apart from 2002s and those tiny Bmers we don't get in North America) tend to have long wheelbases.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Not all Minis are front wheel drive!

Check this clip out. Z-Cars are behind this madness, and make conversion kits that support a variety of bike engines, although Hayabusa and R1 engines are the most common. Nothing beats the sound of a bike engine screaming along at 13,500 rpm.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Okay...

Hope black and white is okay. The color of the car is red.

banned
    ARRRGGGHH!!! GO AWAY!!! It's just a frickin' car! Big f*ckin' whoop-de-diddly-f*cking-doo!

EDIT: Mods, pleeeease move this idiot thread! The fact that a CYCLING site has to have a car forum is utterly pathetic, but as long as it's there...)
    Last edited by Drewdane; 11-01-2006 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    ARRRGGGHH!!! GO AWAY!!! It's just a frickin' car! Big f*ckin' whoop-de-diddly-f*cking-doo!
    My mother got one of these (S, convertable) to join our 1930 Model A in the family-wide use fleet. It's a junk show by our standards (two Toyotas and a 1930 Ford). They include a pompous dealer network and manufacturer with poor parts distribution for free so you get some insult added to your injury.

Weird huh?

No camera/no pix but...

My girlfriend has a 05 Mini - Pepper White black top.

Hands down == the single best handling car I've driven. I'm a Jeep man and my next car will be a Mini.

I take it down to Summit Store whenever I can dream up an excuse to drive it. I come back with a big sh** eating grin on my face. It's that much fun to drive.

Hers is a Cooper. I can only imagine what the S is like to drive.

Cheers

Mike
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Herbert
    Give it two more drive wheels and it'd be perfect.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

EDIT: Mods, pleeeease move this idiot thread! The fact that a CYCLING site has to have a car forum is utterly pathetic, but as long as it's there...)
    So does that mean you wouldn't like something like this either?
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    OK....ooops
    • File Type: jpg z2.jpg (88.0 KB, 4198 views)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    So does that mean you wouldn't like something like this either?
    Nope, not here at least.

To me, motor vehicles are transportation, nothing more. I don't fetishize them, and I don't "get" people who do.

(And yes, I know much the same can be said about bicycles/cyclists)

Lungs, Legs, Luck

Meet Black Jack!

No rack yet. The MINI rack is a highway-robbery $850 installed. I'm probably gonna go yakima with a cobra, but I just HOPE that the white roof'll be okay!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MRfire
    OK....ooops
    lol my dream car
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nope, not here at least.

To me, motor vehicles are transportation, nothing more. I don't fetishize them, and I don't "get" people who do.

(And yes, I know much the same can be said about bicycles/cyclists)

You know, being a member of culture that is not very well understood by general society has taught me to accept what people do. I no longer think people are weird or stupid if they spend money on the stuff they love, I just think to myself, well I have nearly $10,000 worth of bikes and bike related stuff in my garage. I no longer judge people for what they "fetishize." These nice people enjoy their Mini's, get over it.

And how the hell else are people going to get to the trails? Might as well make the transportation part of that fun too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4blues
    No rack yet. The MINI rack is a highway-robbery $850 installed. I'm probably gonna go yakima with a cobra, but I just HOPE that the white roof'll be okay!

Pretty car . I just went from the yakima to the factory roof rack. Before you buy the yakima set up read the instructions carefully - the two bars cannot be set more than 18 inches apart (you can visualize this as being only on top of the driver window area). So your bike will stick more than half way out on the back side. If you try to position rear bar farther back you will see that the rain gutters are much weaker there and that you can ruin your roof by tightning it . i got mine to work but was not comfortable with it and knew that i couldn't put too much more weight up there (i want a cargo box there too along with a second bike).

So now i have factory rack - checking with yakima if i can fit my King Cobra bike rack directly on it, and i have a perfectly good, almost new (had it 3 weeks) complete yakima roof rack, locks included, for sale if you still want to put one on yours

good luck!

German dude
    My Yakima rack is well further apart than 18 inches and there has been no issue at all with the roof. Every now and then I'll take the rack off when I want to drive it harder (ie going to the Dragon Tail) and the only thing not so nice is that you can see an outline where the Yakima feet usually sit. But it is nothing terrible and I really have the rack on most of the time anyway.

To me the factory rack looked a bit tall and I certainly did not want any holes drilled in my roof.

Cheers,

Herbert

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Has anyone with a mini factory roof-mounted rack know if you can attach a yakima (or other brand) bike holder to it?

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    mini factory rack update.

After installing the factory rack I just want to point out that while some have had good results with the Yakima rack and setting the Qs more than 18 inches apart, the official party line from Yakima is to install the rack as per Jittery Joe's Pro cycling team picture earlier in this thread. If nothing else this warning may stop other mini owners from setting up the Q install to be very tight when initially installing. this is what I did - I had already put in the front Qs (which are tight and designated attachment points), so I knew I was going to set the rears tight as well. So I set it up and then I put my 200lbs behind it and set it down. Without warning I saw my guttergard move like it was made of tin foil. of course I quickly released it and cursed myself. This is just a word to the wise - if you do set them farther apart, take it slow, and tighten the rear Qs very incrementally.

Finally my best advice is to get the factory rack (I hated the idea of drilling too Herber ), but knowing that there are factory caps that look good, and that I am serious about carrying stuff on top of my mini (that is I want to add a second bike carrier and a luggage box too) convinced me to go all the way.

My final setup is factory rack with a Thule bike carrier (much more solid than the Yakima). I am finally happy. and as for the Yakima - it will go on my other car (bmw wagon) so it's not a total loss. I do however wish i could have found some real tips online.

Warning - Thule bike carrier works/fits on factory rack only with longer bolts. I went to Lowes and got them. Feel free to PM me if anyone needs details. I promise to post pics as soon as i can.
    Last edited by indio; 12-10-2006 at 06:23 PM.

Retrograde Customs
    My dad rolls in a 04 cooper S that modded to the sky. I usually roll in the badass little 67 at the bottom. Mom also rolls a cooper, she has a standard 06 cooper with a CVT.
    Retrograde Customs

Lungs, Legs, Luck
    So, how does the '67 compare to the '06? Damn, dude! Do you take your steed to the trail in that gem?

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4blues
    So, how does the '67 compare to the '06? Damn, dude! Do you take your steed to the trail in that gem?
    at the run that picture was taken at I kept loosing the guy behind me in his brand new cooper S. he would catch me on the uphill but couldnt hang down through the twisties. my moms 06 is a standard cooper with a CVT, pretty gutless really. My dad's 04 tied the HP record at edge motorworks in dublin running wicked fat.
    Retrograde Customs

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

And yes, it only has some styling cues in common with a real mini.

I drove my sis-in-law's Mini S, and dang! It was fast. Throttle response was krap, tho. Probably that drive-by-wire stuff. Give me a proper throttle cable any day.

I was reading up on the new Mini. Its a bit bigger, which begs the question is that even a mini? They've done away with the throttle body altogether, and they are now controlling the throttle with valriable valve lift. I wonder what mechnaisms make that work.
    Throttle response is crap because the stock and the S have underpowered engines. Nothing to do with drive by wire. Drive the JCW Mini and you will have a diff opinion. I have DBW in my GTI and it hauls.

They do have great handling, though.

Oh, and it's not "begging the question" it's "asking the question." Begging the question is a form of logical syllogism.

I though the reason that there is a CAR/BIKER forum is so that all the freakin car addicts out there would have a place to hide and discuss their carbon burning, earth polluting, nature killing and ego stroking death machines.
    Awwww, cmon, dude, you have to admit, When you think Marin Poseur/Bored MV houswife, what's the first thing that enters your head? MINI.
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 12-24-2006 at 05:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What a cooper works?!? is that the GP edition kit?

Damn those things are fast. There aren't many cars on the road that could hold their own against a Cooper works GP. 218hp and light as a feather. That thing flies

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    My dad rolls in a 04 cooper S that modded to the sky. I usually roll in the badass little 67 at the bottom. Mom also rolls a cooper, she has a standard 06 cooper with a CVT.

Here you go. Your dad's Mini leading the charge!

fc
    IPA will save America

ballbuster

No, that's not it....

Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Throttle response is crap because the stock and the S have underpowered engines. Nothing to do with drive by wire. Drive the JCW Mini and you will have a diff opinion. I have DBW in my GTI and it hauls.
    My '96 with a 2.slo GTi has a lot less power than the Mini S my sis-inlaw drives (like 2/3 the power and the same curb weight), but when you hit the gas, it reacts immediately, when you let off, it reacts immediately. Same with my wife's now sold VR6 Jetta, which is prolly more on par power wise with the Mini S.

The Mini S seemed to need to spin up the power before it was felt. Kind of like turbo lag, but I know its supercharged. Maybe it felt like it was an auto, but she had a 6 speed stick. I'm not talking power band. It seemed like the throttle was reacting a split second after I hit it, and not directly when I hit it.

I mostly felt it when throwing it down in a hard turn with my left foot feathering brake to control the understeer (and scaring the crap out of my sis-inlaw... hey, she asked me to push it!).

Other than that, it's a great car.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 01-23-2007 at 12:55 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast