mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Should I get a 1.25" or 2" rack (have both hitches)

Here's the issue:

I have an STi that I just ordered a Curt 1.25" hitch for.
    We are also purchasing a '14 Forester with a 2" hitch.

The STi is currently my primary car (Forester will be my husbands who doesn't bike). I plan to do races this year that might be 3ish hours away and the main trail I ride is 30 minutes from my house. The Forester gets better gas mileage than the STi so I will for sure take it on any long trips.

I have decided on a Kuat NV, but need to decide if I want the rack to be 1.25" or 2". Obviously there is going to be an adapter on one of the cars.

I have read there are some alignment issues with the Curt hitch and the Kuat and it might need a new hole drilled. The days I use the STi will be primary Tuesday and Thursday rides after work which is about a 20 minute drive. I am thinking that since there might be an alignment issue, using a 2" to 1.25" adapter on the STi would avoid that issue, and the bikes would be taking a shorter trip on the adapter.

To complicate this issue, the Forester MIGHT become my primary car in the future but that is still debatable (I think my husband is trying to steal my STi).

My thinking is, my bike will be traveling longer distances on the Forester and so I should get the 2" rack for more stability. The shorter trips it will be on the STi, the STi will never go on any long trips.

Any suggestions? This is probably just a stupid question anyways, I know very little about hitches since this is my first and don't want to spend $500 on a rack and regret the size decision later.

turtles make me hot
    Normally, I live by the mantra bigger is better. In this case, the 1 1/4" rack will work directly in the car with the smaller hitch and in the bigger one with an adapter sleeve which shouldn't add any length.
    If you try to run the 2" rack in the 1 1/4 hitch, it will add excessive length. That's the way I see it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Normally, I live by the mantra bigger is better. In this case, the 1 1/4" rack will work directly in the car with the smaller hitch and in the bigger one with an adapter sleeve which shouldn't add any length.
    If you try to run the 2" rack in the 1 1/4 hitch, it will add excessive length. That's the way I see it.
    From what I've seen that Curt both sleeves add length.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by csledd281 View Post
    Here's the issue:

I have decided on a Kuat NV, but need to decide if I want the rack to be 1.25" or 2". Obviously there is going to be an adapter on one of the cars.

I have read there are some alignment issues with the Curt hitch and the Kuat and it might need a new hole drilled. The days I use the STi will be primary Tuesday and Thursday rides after work which is about a 20 minute drive. I am thinking that since there might be an alignment issue, using a 2" to 1.25" adapter on the STi would avoid that issue, and the bikes would be taking a shorter trip on the adapter.

To complicate this issue, the Forester MIGHT become my primary car in the future but that is still debatable (I think my husband is trying to steal my STi).

My thinking is, my bike will be traveling longer distances on the Forester and so I should get the 2" rack for more stability. The shorter trips it will be on the STi, the STi will never go on any long trips.

Any suggestions? This is probably just a stupid question anyways, I know very little about hitches since this is my first and don't want to spend $500 on a rack and regret the size decision later.
    I own an NV 1.25"; it is awesome and I recommend it over the 2". A few things to note:

1. The 2" NV is heavier which I consider a downside (particularly if you plan on taking it off and putting it back on with frequency). The 1.25" version is stable... I've hauled two 29er's on the highway for hours with it no prob.

2. If you plan on carrying more than 2 bikes, you have to go 2" NV.

Let me know if you have other questions or even better, call Kuat and ask 'em- they might even have some suggestions on the alignment issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I own an NV 1.25"; it is awesome and I recommend it over the 2". A few things to note:

1. The 2" NV is heavier which I consider a downside (particularly if you plan on taking it off and putting it back on with frequency). The 1.25" version is stable... I've hauled two 29er's on the highway for hours with it no prob.

2. If you plan on carrying more than 2 bikes, you have to go 2" NV.

Let me know if you have other questions or even better, call Kuat and ask 'em- they might even have some suggestions on the alignment issue.
    Is your hitch a 1.25 or 2"?

Happy Trails

Should I get a 1.25" or 2" rack (have both hitches)

I realize you have decided on an Kuat, but the 1UP includes an adapter that works stable, secure and durable on both 1-1/4 and 2 inch hitch receivers. Just making sure you are aware of the option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I realize you have decided on an Kuat, but the 1UP includes an adapter that works stable, secure and durable on both 1-1/4 and 2 inch hitch receivers. Just making sure you are aware of the option.
    Agreed.

MC MasterShake
    I went with a 1.25 on my 13 WRX and I'm running the 1UP. I've pulled 3 DH bikes on it w/no problems. Only 2 bikes on a 1.25 would be a deal breaker for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

RE: Should I get a 1.25" or 2" rack (have both hitches)

Just sherpa works on both 1.25 and 2...just got one for my STI.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express